Square Enix's Gun Loco Set To Be An Xbox 360 Exclusive Shooter

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier yesterday morning, Square Enix announced Gun Loco, an Xbox 360 exclusive that seeks to break out of the third-person shooter mold with an "all-new" approach to mechanics. It's also a title that'll inevitably be licensed to a certain toy maker. The surreal, misshapen, and twisted characters in Gun Loco are the fruits of toy designer Kenny Wong's imagination. Wong, most notably, is the co-creator of brothersfree and the founder of two toy-related companies. He's probably already pumping some Gun Loco molds out, in other words.

Square Enix says Gun Loco will be a third-person "sprint-action" shooter with a focus on environmental interaction. I suppose this is where the "all-new" approach stuff comes in. As a criminal on one of the remotest planets in the game's universe, you'll be asked to duck, dive, vault, and otherwise use the game's environment--in addition to your own bullet-based weapons and kill grapple moves--to take down pursuers and quarry alike in a quest for survival. In a way, Gun Loco sounds like an intergalactic The Running Man, except with men dressed as bunnies and whatnot instead of hockey stars. That's kinda neat, I think.

Gun Loco features an obvious over-the-top visual style, a touch of "black comedy," and is poised to release with a full range of competitive modes that'll support up to 12 players. Square Enix hasn't nailed down the exact release date just yet, but it does expect Gun Loco to ship in 2011.     

If you weren't already sold on how bent this game is by that insane bunny man above, feel free to check out the following screenshots. There's plenty of weird to go around. 

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Earlier yesterday morning, Square Enix announced Gun Loco, an Xbox 360 exclusive that seeks to break out of the third-person shooter mold with an "all-new" approach to mechanics. It's also a title that'll inevitably be licensed to a certain toy maker. The surreal, misshapen, and twisted characters in Gun Loco are the fruits of toy designer Kenny Wong's imagination. Wong, most notably, is the co-creator of brothersfree and the founder of two toy-related companies. He's probably already pumping some Gun Loco molds out, in other words.

Square Enix says Gun Loco will be a third-person "sprint-action" shooter with a focus on environmental interaction. I suppose this is where the "all-new" approach stuff comes in. As a criminal on one of the remotest planets in the game's universe, you'll be asked to duck, dive, vault, and otherwise use the game's environment--in addition to your own bullet-based weapons and kill grapple moves--to take down pursuers and quarry alike in a quest for survival. In a way, Gun Loco sounds like an intergalactic The Running Man, except with men dressed as bunnies and whatnot instead of hockey stars. That's kinda neat, I think.

Gun Loco features an obvious over-the-top visual style, a touch of "black comedy," and is poised to release with a full range of competitive modes that'll support up to 12 players. Square Enix hasn't nailed down the exact release date just yet, but it does expect Gun Loco to ship in 2011.     

If you weren't already sold on how bent this game is by that insane bunny man above, feel free to check out the following screenshots. There's plenty of weird to go around. 

#2 Posted by clapperdude (192 posts) -

Exclusive aww

#3 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -

i'm digging the art style 

#4 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Wow, this looks insane! Could fill that, over the top shooter shaped void in my heart left by timesplitters!

#5 Posted by CoffeeandaBagel (34 posts) -

Hmmmmmm...... Maybe?

#6 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

This game looks crazy weird, and I kinda like it. When I think Square though, I dont think shooter. So who knows how this will go.

#7 Posted by SquirrelGOD (506 posts) -

...Yeah, that's going to end up being horrible.  Square-Enix + 3rd-Person Action = OH DEAR GOD!  MY EYES!  WHY?!

#8 Posted by rohanspear345 (341 posts) -

looks like brink

#9 Posted by Tuggah (1073 posts) -

Looks awesome. More Bunny-men in my shooters please.

#10 Posted by TimFReilly (98 posts) -

This would have just been another terrible Eidos game if S-E hadn't bought Eidos.  Don't attach too much S-E-ness to it.

#11 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

Anyone else getting a Dreamcast vibe from this game for some reason? Maybe it just reminds me of Crazy Taxi.

#12 Posted by Stubee (383 posts) -
@rohanspear345 said:
" looks like brink "
I thought that, except with more bunnys in underwear doing the robot obviously
#13 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@rohanspear345 said:

" looks like brink "

That and Brink will be multiplatform.
#14 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

... What the hell? 

This is uh... interesting. Certainly a change of pace in the shooting genre.

#15 Posted by Flappy (2360 posts) -

Hey!  Wasn't he turned into a Chocolate Bunny!?

#16 Posted by Ponder (13 posts) -

Looks terrible :S the art style hurts my eyes.

#17 Posted by Skullo (646 posts) -

Lovely shit,, ain't it? Cuz it's shit.

#18 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3504 posts) -

It doesn't look very good to me. Could be fun though. Hard to tell from early screen shots.

#19 Posted by WinterGenesis (9 posts) -

Nothing ever remains "exclusive" forever.

#20 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I'm excited.

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -
@WinterGenesis said:
" Nothing ever remains "exclusive" forever."
Halo? Uncharted? Fable? Little Big Planet?
#22 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

haha kind of has a cool look to it.

#23 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

The environment clashes with the character art style.

#24 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Umm what? 

#25 Posted by Tordah (2488 posts) -

This looks insane. I hope we get to see some gameplay footage soon.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @rohanspear345 said:

" looks like brink "

That and Brink will be multiplatform. "
Brink has odd men in cartoon bunny masks?
#27 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -

So who exactly are you supposed to be? The douchebag with the goatee? The dude with brown Goku hair and a T-shirt? The bunny man?

...Hell, if you're the bunny man, this game might actually be worth playing.

#28 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @rohanspear345 said:

" looks like brink "

Brink has odd men in cartoon bunny masks? "
Not in that sense. More like the whole running and bouncing around the environment. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Is this how an acid trip feels? 

This game looks crazy and I like it.

#30 Posted by MrCandleguy (813 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @rohanspear345 said:

" looks like brink "

Brink has odd men in cartoon bunny masks? "
Not in that sense. More like the whole running and bouncing around the environment. That's not necessarily a bad thing. "
I wish they had cartoon bunny masks....
#31 Posted by BlaineBlaine (452 posts) -

Well that's batshit insane.

#32 Posted by xyzygy (10079 posts) -

Art style looks awesome. Is it Eidos? If so thats pretty awesome.

#33 Posted by mortiferus (15 posts) -

This looks pretty interesting visually, hopefully it will not disappoint gameplay wise.

#34 Edited by Gutlieb (87 posts) -

I hate everything about that trailer.

#35 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

Hmmm... Not enough androgyny. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.