Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gyakuten Kenji 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 03, 2011

The sequel to Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth that is the only Ace Attorney game on the Nintendo DS to not be released outside of Japan.

Confirmed: this won't be released in North America

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

During a webcast,   vice president of strategic planning and business development at Capcom Christian Svensson was asked if the new Ace Attorney game was going to be released in the U.S. His reply:  "The answer is no. Sorry about that." Now, this is very unlikely to be a situation akin to Catherine where everyone panicked about it possibly not releasing in North America because of a silly PR answer to some obscure gaming website because of a few reasons such as this follow-up comment on their forums:

NeoGAF thread (containing a bit more info)

My opinion regarding this: Fucking outrageous. I loved Ace Attorney Investigations 1 and it's unbelievable that they won't release it here because they say the first one didn't perform very well, even though they didn't make the game available through stores like Best Buy/Future Shop.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mutha3

Yeah. Already found out.

This sucks ass. Crapcom amirite!...........:(

And before some mentions it, like Fluxwavez said, no, this isn't the same situation as Catherine in the least bit.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

It's a shame. I want to be able to play through it in English, and without an english translation that won't happen... but it's not like they're withholding a main series ace attorney games.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RoyCampbell

What a fucking shame. The Ace Attorney series is the only franchise where I can play iteration after iteration and have the same amount of amazement and enjoyment. I can't put one game over the other, they're all so great.

I hope this turns around beautifully and it gets a worldwide release. I remember being so ecstatic upon the announcement of AAI2, thinking "Wow, another Ace Attorney game for the DS. I'd have thought Capcom would've picked up and left for the 3DS instantly. But another DS Ace Attorney? AWESOME."

:(

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

God damn it.  And the first one was what got me back into the series.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

Damn, i really enjoyed these games.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

That makes me sad.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlightConfuse

this is a shame. the Ace attorney series is one of  favorite franchise's of all time. 

Investigations 1 was a great direction for the series and the story telling was up with the best in the series. 

i hope this does not say anything about Layton/Attorney coming to the Us
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Really? I never got around to playing the first Ace Attorney Investigations, but I was under the impression that the franchise has done quite well in the west. I mean, Apollo Justice was kind of a bummer, but I'm sure it sold ok.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Malakhii

Not cool Capcom. Not fucking cool. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Really? I never got around to playing the first Ace Attorney Investigations, but I was under the impression that the franchise has done quite well in the west. I mean, Apollo Justice was kind of a bummer, but I'm sure it sold ok. "
    Actually, I'm not sure any of the games did quite well in NA other than the first one. 
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mutha3

Man, screw you GB.

Do none of you fuckers care!? >:(

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By lord_canti

if this was  a classic style ace attourny game but i really didnt like  the investigations 

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kjellm87

BOOOOO

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zabant

Wow capcom, this is pure looking at the numbers decision making here. How about release the game in english for fans of the fucking series? while still making a profit (albeit small).

Honestly, this makes me outrageously mad. It's not like the game has Voice acting, its all a simple Japanese-English translation.

All that will happen now is people will download a fanmade translation of the japanese version online so capcom will not make money anyway and the whole ordeal will lead to people thinking that downloading their games online for free is perfectly acceptable because there is no other way to play them in english. Niche genre fans are a flickle bunch, if this does not come out then dont expect people to buy future English games in the series legitimately.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
    Sven said:

First of all, thanks Tommy Oliver for your post above. Indeed I hadn't expected that an honest, straight forward answer to a fan's question on a stream or here that could avert uncertainty for months or years would have created quite the outrage among a few folks that it has. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future when I consider giving a straight answer.

Secondly, Japan is the #1 territory for AA. Sales there continue to be solid which is why it was released there and why it is always the lead territory. Over the years we have had several titles (Basara comes to mind though there are others) released only in Japan because that market can sustain them all by themselves and the costs of bringing them to market in the West are higher than the revenue opportunity.

It's not totally clear  in the P&L assumptions above, but it looks like you're asking us to charge Japanese customers more... or alternatively, you're equating Western sales of AA to those of Japan and making sales assumptions from there. In case one (charging the Japanese more), the sales in Japan have no bearing on the sales opportunity in the West (they don't need to localize for Japan as that's the original release). To justify the localization and local marketing costs, sales forecasts need to be high enough to cover those costs on their own. Charging Japanese consumers more doesn't justify the expense. In case 2 (equating Western sales to Japan) I can't get into details but that's not accurate.

In the sales and P&L assumptions  above, what you also neglect is the cost of goods of the product (what it actually costs to produce cartridges, packaging, manuals, with royalties due to Nintendo in this case), testing costs, and marketing expenses, sales commissions, freight and overhead. There are other costs neglected but they're smaller individually so I won't get into them. In short, what you think we're recouping per unit, isn't actually what we're recouping.

And to those saying "localization costs can't be that much", in a game like AA, localization is everything when it comes to overseas perception of quality. A quick and dirty literal translation doesn't get you very far. It doesn't help you capture the character's quirks, help you understand the humor  or references when there aren't appropriate "direct" translations. Our loc team in Japan has continually done a fantastic job on these products which is part of the reason why you love them so much. There is no shortcut to be had there.

Lastly, the dynamics at retail for NDS have changed a lot over the past 12 months and even more since the introduction of the 3DS.

I'll be having some conversations tomorrow with our roadmap planning team on this topic given the feedback here. I have a few ideas. We'll see what happens.

In any event, please keep the conversation civil. I understand the disappointment and I'm happy to share how the market operates within reasonable ranges but I could do without the "sky is falling" hyperbole. There may be other solutions.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#18  Edited By alistercat
    @LordAndrew said:
    " Sven said:

Our loc team in Japan has continually done a fantastic job on these products which is part of the reason why you love them so much.

"
    Except for the very dire spelling mistakes in every ace attorney game he's right. They just need to check their work.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats
    @LordAndrew: Thanks for that.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mutha3
    @LordAndrew said:
    " Sven said:

First of all, thanks Tommy Oliver for your post above. Indeed I hadn't expected that an honest, straight forward answer to a fan's question on a stream or here that could avert uncertainty for months or years would have created quite the outrage among a few folks that it has. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future when I consider giving a straight answer.

"
    That's quality PR right there. Bitching out your fans.

@DonutFever said:
    " UPDATE:  http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/10/capcom-on-ace-attorney-investigations-2s-release-plans-change-all-the-time/
    So... would the other platform be 3DS?
    "

Weak reasoning. The dude has made it abundantly clear multiple times on the Capcom forum that this isn't happening.

Siliconera is a great site for JP gaming news in general, though. I like how they have a certain degree of professionalism left in them.
    Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Julmust

As long as Layton vs. Phoenix comes to Europe and America I'm alright.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Jolt92 said:
    " As long as Layton vs. Phoenix comes to Europe and America I'm alright. "
    According to Capcom, the ball is in Level-5's court for that one. But Level-5 doesn't do any publishing in North America or Europe as far as I know. I guess it would be Nintendo's responsibility then.
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By jkuc316
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Turambar

Meh, I'm not too torn up over this.  Never liked the first Ace Investigation game too much.  The structure of it just was not up to par with the Ace Attorney games in any way.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sogeman

I kinda doubt they'll ever release another one. Guess I'll just have to replay the others over and over again.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RoyCampbell

Capcom! It's E3! Give me something on this game! It was said that they were reviewing their options and seeing what they could do for the game - let's hope this game pulls through. I loved Ace Attorney Investigations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.