SOCOM's true spiratual successor

#1 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

The old creative director of SOCOM has a kickstarter for his new game H-Hour, If you're sick of mindless shooters, I would toss them a few bucks.

Kickstarter

#2 Posted by falserelic (5329 posts) -

Well they got four more days to make it happen. I'm really interested in seeing how this project turnsout. I had played the original socom games back in the day, but I never had the chance to play them online. I played and enjoyed Socom 4 online, but socom fans said the originals had a better online experience. Sense the original creator of socom is making H-Hour.

I like to see how he is going to make this the spiritual successor.

#3 Posted by falserelic (5329 posts) -

Well It just reached it's kickstarter goal, and now socom fans are happy. Lets hope this game deliver what it promised.

#4 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2569 posts) -

Well, they are funded. Now, they are about 70 minutes and $3,000 from their stretch goal. I'm not sure if they will make it to the stretch goal, but people are still contributing.

I contributed, but I don't think they will capture SOCOM. My only intention for funding them was to see the studio have its first shot at a game. In the end I think H-Hour will tank. I think their second game will be what works. Why so pessimistic? I think what they want to make is hard and I think because of that they will do something they shouldn't like include respawn game play as an option. They don't have teh cash or pull to call teh shots, so the whole thing will get wrecked. But I think it will be a good first lesson.

#5 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

SOCOM II in HD with more balanced weapons and streamlined controls is what I want. DG and Xroads is all I want to play.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5329 posts) -

Well, they are funded. Now, they are about 70 minutes and $3,000 from their stretch goal. I'm not sure if they will make it to the stretch goal, but people are still contributing.

I contributed, but I don't think they will capture SOCOM. My only intention for funding them was to see the studio have its first shot at a game. In the end I think H-Hour will tank. I think their second game will be what works. Why so pessimistic? I think what they want to make is hard and I think because of that they will do something they shouldn't like include respawn game play as an option. They don't have teh cash or pull to call teh shots, so the whole thing will get wrecked. But I think it will be a good first lesson.

Until I see gameplay I'll hold off my judgment. Sense the original creator is involved with H-Hour. There's still might be hope he can bring back the spirit of Socom. Besides he's seen the fans battle crys for a proper Socom game. I think his intention is to give the fans what they've been crying for...

#7 Posted by TurboMan (7401 posts) -

I grew up with Socom's 1-3 for the PS2. I'd like to see this be a thing.

#8 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2569 posts) -

I know this game will only be on PC and PS4, that is if everything goes right and they find real funding. But, wouldn't it be funny if they put it on Xbox One too. Spiritual successor to SOCOM on Xbox.

#9 Posted by bobafettjm (1405 posts) -

Man do I hope this really turns out to be a new "Socom" game. I was REALLY into the first two Socom games, and was immensely let down by it's sequels.

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@bobafettjm: Yup, S3 is where it started going downhill for me. And that first PS3 one, Confrontation? No thank you.

#11 Posted by bobafettjm (1405 posts) -

@pillclinton: I remember being SUPER pumped for Socom 3, right up until I played it. I was disappointed in that game in so many ways. After that I decided to try Confrontation, and it ended up being worse than 3.

I actually still keep in touch with the group I used to regularly play with in those original Socom games, it was such a team oriented game that it made it easier to get to know people.

#12 Posted by Thoseposers (780 posts) -

After watching the kickstarter video i really want to know, is getting a military adviser really necessary for games? What advice could they ever give that would realistically translate into a game? Especially a multiplayer focused one

#13 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

Am I the only one who read H-Hour not as H dash Hour but as if someone with a stutter was trying to say hour?

#14 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (165 posts) -

I hope it's good, if I am remembering correctly I think Socom was the first game I played online, and if not the actual first is was the first one I played a bunch of.

#15 Posted by Nodima (1103 posts) -

@pillclinton: I remember being SUPER pumped for Socom 3, right up until I played it. I was disappointed in that game in so many ways. After that I decided to try Confrontation, and it ended up being worse than 3.

I actually still keep in touch with the group I used to regularly play with in those original Socom games, it was such a team oriented game that it made it easier to get to know people.

SOCOM 3 was the FIRST game that really put "feel" into perspective for me. Before, I mostly just played games for their colors or worlds, wild imagination (or relatable - i.e. licensed - characters) held my attention greatly through the PS1 generation, but SOCOM III was just one of those games where I kept thinking to myself, "this just doesn't feel right.."

Everything sounded so good though, right? 16 v 16 instead of 8 v 8. Vehicles. Massive maps for unprecedented strategy. I'm not sure why any of that sounded so amazing in hindsight - that expansion crushed the engine and the game turned into even more of a strafe/glitch fest than it already was.

I'm supremely interested in this game if only because SOCOM II remains the pinnacle of online immersion for me. I don't hate respawn multiplayer thanks to that game, but it's definitely numbing after about 5 minutes. I miss the community that game attracted most of all, and I think that nostalgic factor - being 13-16 playing that game - ultimately colors a lot of what that game was to me. The Last of Us' multiplayer actually reminds me a LOT of SOCOM II, and the thought of it constantly excites me - until I play it, and then I'm just sort of whatever. I wonder if SOCOM was just in the right place at the right time, and if it ever had a chance in the previous generation.

#16 Edited by falserelic (5329 posts) -

Here's some info of hip-hop gamer talking to David Sears. He give some details on the new H-hour game..

#17 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

Some new screens leaked today. If you dig around online you should be able to find them. The lobby system they're putting place is almost identical to Socom 1 and 2. Brought back memories!

#18 Edited by SSully (4125 posts) -
#19 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

@ssully: From what I read online the screen shots were included in the NDA that the Kickstarter backers had to agree to for the upcoming beta down the road.

Otherwise I would have posted the link. Wanted to be safe just in case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.