Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Survive

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 16, 2015

A cancelled post-apocalyptic MMO from the makers of EverQuest II and The Matrix Online. Set fifteen years after an initial horrifying outbreak, players must survive against the infected, wild animals, and other survivors.

SOE's zombie MMO H1Z1 is a sandbox game

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

So, now this is interesting, SOE is making yet another MMO. Come on pretend to be surprised!!! It will be a apocalypse sandbox MMO in shape of a game like DayZ. However, it appears the differentiation between this game and other titles like DayZ or Rust is there will be a focus on keeping stuff you make/find/build. There is crafting system for sure and the infected-zombie folks will have emergent AI (gag, I hate when they use that buzz word) to offering a dynamic enemy interactions.

H1Z1 will be a persistent world with players having to hunt down useful items in order to survive, that is what they are most clear about. There are options go it alone, group up, and the game will be co-op, multiplayer or single player depending on play style. (Err maybe, it was not clear in what I have been reading so far how the MMO part allows for alone playing.) As I said above, players will evidently re-spawn with equipment when they die, yet such features being in/out has not been totally nailed down. I sorts of dig the idea of it being different from DayZ where losing everything you carefully collected feels like a 'nut kick'. (I want to see how this sandbox works, is anything ‘worth having’ if they let you keep it?) Time will tell if what they have in mind with any of these mechanics will be what people enjoy or expect to play in a post apocalypse sandbox game.

There will be vehicles and those will need fuel too. That seems to be a basic tenant to these types of games so far. A sandbox where you might need a vehicle at least sounds big. There will be some sort of 'base building' but, again, no real details on that yet. So crafting, base building, vehicles, and some sort of system where you do not necessarily lose everything when you die…that sounds cool at least a premise.

All I can end with is I hope it is more sandbox/DayZ/Rust than an MMO. I hope SOE adds something and I hope that DayZ, Rust and this game co-exist as separate concepts that are fun to play for different reasons. I look forward to them clarifying how you can go it alone in an MMO…but as I said I REALLY hope ist is not an MMO as we know it now. Could I hope that this will be an MMO RPG in the same sense/funtion as Tom Clancy's The Division is an ‘open-world RPG’?

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Even though its technically not announced for PS4, I'm still real excited to see a game like this on PS4.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

H1Z1 is the worst name.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

H1Z1 is the worst name.

I second this...... what a lame name

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Never get the Zombie Flu. It'll really ruin your weekend.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So its a zombie game AND an MMO? Wow, thats double the reason not to care.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmmm SOE making a new type game even though it's current trend right now..... sure why not. They are a solid developer who knows how to make MMOs well.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@somberowl: It actually is announced for PS4.

I thought they have only alluded to the fact the it's coming to PS4?. No official announcement or did they?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool, sounds neat. Might give it a spin when I get a PS4 :)

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GaspoweR

For a moment I though the OP was talking about Soe Gschwind-Penski for some reason. Hahaha!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969

Okay, it is a bad name...so let's think of better ones that are not trite.

I cannot think of one that is great, but I was "We Counted The Numbers"

The title would refer to a quote someone would say in the story about counting the numbers of dead during the plague/disease...teh number just went up and up. It would be a sad quote that when its is said would bring up imagery of what it must feel like the smallness of being one person trying to comprehend so much death.

That how I would have approached the title. I have something enigmatic and poetic sounding, something where when you say it you get a little chill. N1Z1 is a bit dry, also I did a bit of research and the H and N form H1N1 for example is to code for its Haemagglutinin and Neuraminidase glycoprotiens. There is a Z glycoprotein I think, or but it would not be on a virus coating as near as I can tell... Again it all rather dry science stuff.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

We should hand it to Day Z for single-handedly ensuring that we're going to get a bunch of Massively Multiplayer Sandbox games with zombies in them for the next 5 or 6 years.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they accounced that they plan to do what Undead Labs has been working on for the last 5 years?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@arbitrarywater: All of these Massively Multiplayer Sandbox games with zombies are also all going to miss the point of why DayZ is great.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@arbitrarywater: All of these Massively Multiplayer Sandbox games with zombies are also all going to miss the point of why DayZ is great.

That's implicit, really.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#17  Edited By tearhead

@somberowl said:

@awesomeusername said:

I thought they have only alluded to the fact the it's coming to PS4?. No official announcement or did they?

When I made the page I saw no hard evidence of it coming to the PS4. I saw a bunch of non-answers like "Well, we are Sony, so... probably." or something along those lines.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spraynardtatum said:

That's implicit, really.

It's a real bummer :(

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Whitestripes09

It is a free to play game, so I imagine that there is going to be some sort of element in the game that requires you to spend real money on. I'm thinking maybe they will allow you to pay for blue prints rather than finding them randomly in the world or maybe buying "care packages" that are basically like starter kits. MMO is such a broad word to use and it's plastered all over the place. I'm sure someone in marketing just thought it would be a good idea to use 'MMO' to attract people.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

That's implicit, really.

Honestly the only MP zombie release I have any sort of excitement for is to see what Undead Labs puts out. State of Decay (especially the Breakdown mode) is everything I want out of a zombie game, minus the fact that it's SP only.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By reisz

Wait, how the hell do you pronounce that?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead said:

@somberowl said:

@awesomeusername said:

When I made the page I saw no hard evidence of it coming to the PS4. I saw a bunch of non-answers like "Well, we are Sony, so... probably." or something along those lines.

In the video of the podcast, they say at the end "We have commented about the PS4 yet and it's not decided." to which Smedley replies "Noooo. It's decided." with a huge grin. So it's not official Sony PR confirmation but that sounds like a yes. I'm willing to bet both my thumbs it comes to PS4, I don't need no official PR announcement! Plus, DC Universe Online, EverQuest Next and Planetside 2 are on/coming to PS4 so it makes sense that this would. For link to the video, here. Skip to 11:12

Loading Video...

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

@awesomeusername: I totally agree with you that all signs point to a PS4 release. However, until it's official, it shouldn't be on the wiki page.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@reisz said:

Wait, how the hell do you pronounce that?

H-One-Z-One. It's just a stupid play on the H1N1 flu virus.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By reisz

@hailinel: Oh my god, I'm an idiot. Thank you for clearing that up. My eyes see that and my brain says "Hizzy"

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marcsman

Got my eye on this.

vroom555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps4???? are you kidding lol i know that xb gets more exclusive games but the only type of game that i love comes out for ps4 when i spent all my money on xb1 cos everyone said it was better oh gotta wait for another year

vroom555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vroom555

@monkeyking1969: i thought that bungie is making a game for ps so why arent they returning the favor

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

@hailinel: Oh my god, I'm an idiot. Thank you for clearing that up. My eyes see that and my brain says "Hizzy"

A game about fighting Zizzys in the Hizzy? Sign me up yo!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

I suppose if you are making an MMO you might as well trust the people who make tons of semi-successful ones. SOE might never make WoW level game that makes tons of money with tens of millions of players, but a lot of their MMOs just cruise along making okay money.

I don't like MMOs, but I must concede that SOE knows the business pretty well.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only 4-5 days until this thing releases on Early Access for $20. Anybody thinking of playing it?

Latest Dev chat with GeekDomo: http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/v/3672029

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.