Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Game » consists of 2 releases.

The cancelled, infamously long-delayed final chapter of the episodic Half-Life 2 saga.

A reasonable proposition for what's taking so long

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is all hypothetical based on the small amount of things we do actually know and my own intuition. Valve was probably working on Episode 3, expecting it to come out just like Episode 2 did. For whatever reasons, it began to take longer than they expected plus the extra time spent on the Portals and Left 4 Deads. As the end to the Half-Life 2 story arc (They have said Episode 3 is not the end of the Half-Life franchise by the way), that probably had something to do with it. The game got too big. Eventually they decided that this needs to be a full game. The Source engine is showing its age, even though they have done a lot to prolong it. The reason why we haven't seen anything beyond a few pieces of concept art is because Episode 3 is being made with a brand new engine, and if they were to show a video or screenshots, we would all know it to no fanfare. A new engine would be a very big deal (it affects all of their games) and I think it's pretty reasonable that they would want to make some kind of big announcement to show off the new Source engine instead of having it drizzle out. On February 20th Gabe said:

"Part of the reason that we backed off talking so much about what was happening in the future is that when we've done that in the past, you know, with Half-Life 1 it was a year after we originally said it would be, Half-Life 2 basically if you go and read the forum posts apparently took us 50 or 60 years to get done, so we're trying to be careful not to get people too excited and then have to go and disappoint them... So we're sort of reacting in the other direction and saying, 'okay, well let's have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it.'"

Both Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 changed massively since when they were both being shown off.

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to guess that the new Source engine will use fluid dynamics first experimented with in Portal 2. It will be called WaterSource.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MistaSparkle

I absolutely love Portal 1 & 2. They are incredible games and I would love to see more of them, but the levels with the fluid puzzles were the worst part of the game. There were too many instances where I got confused on how to solve a puzzle because they gave you too much control on where you could spread the gel. I found myself, especially with the white portal goo, placing so much of it in random areas and wasting a lot of time trying to reach the exit from these various parts BUT the actual way to solve the puzzle was much simpler than I had thought. So, due to me being able to get the portal gel on various spots of the level, it was complicating the original layout of how I was supposed to beat the level. A few times I had even completed levels using accidental solutions.

For this reason, I would be worried if this new rumored "WaterSource" featured a large amount of fluid dynamics similar to Portal 2's. Hopefully, the Valve guys would be able to perfect this engine and limit the ways problems like I had would occur.

TL;DR: Didn't like the fluid puzzles in Portal 2, so please either fix them for this new rumored engine or get rid of them. That's my opinion, at least.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By The_Nubster

@MistaSparkle said:

I absolutely love Portal 1 & 2. They are incredible games and I would love to see more of them, but the levels with the fluid puzzles were the worst part of the game. There were too many instances where I got confused on how to solve a puzzle because they gave you too much control on where you could spread the gel. I found myself, especially with the white portal goo, placing so much of it in random areas and wasting a lot of time trying to reach the exit from these various parts BUT the actual way to solve the puzzle was much simpler than I had thought. So, due to me being able to get the portal gel on various spots of the level, it was complicating the original layout of how I was supposed to beat the level. A few times I had even completed levels using accidental solutions.

For this reason, I would be worried if this new rumored "WaterSource" featured a large amount of fluid dynamics similar to Portal 2's. Hopefully, the Valve guys would be able to perfect this engine and limit the ways problems like I had would occur.

TL;DR: Didn't like the fluid puzzles in Portal 2, so please either fix them for this new rumored engine or get rid of them. That's my opinion, at least.

It just takes careful consideration of the puzzle. Instead of hosing your portal jizzum all over the floor, look for the exit and build your way there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MistaSparkle said:

No, WaterSource would have fluid dynamics for just whatever, not at all like the the gel puzzels. Those never actually used fluids for their puzzles. That was all just for looks. I can imagine the Borealis filling up with water or something. It would certainly be naturally used, just like physics were in HL2. Basically, it's there because it exist in the real world. Maybe they'll actually have gas physics too.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat

I hope this transaltes to an Apple-style announcement of "ship a week after announcement." Or I hope it just shows up one day on Steam.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Poppduder

Can you imagine the power they're holding in their hands? What If they were to announce (without any of that announcement of an announcement bullshit) that Half Life 3 is coming out in a month? That kind of announcement and publicity would have the blast radius of a fucking nuke. It could be the biggest single press moment in video game history.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

yesterday there was a post with a link to a steam looking store page with Half Life 3 on it, that post got deleted before I could find out if it was real or not, someone please tell me it was a lie so I can move on with my life.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eidderf

@Mikemcn:It was an april fool's joke or something unfortunately, when you clicked on the screenshot it took you to a rickroll video.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By zaglis
    @Mikemcn said:

yesterday there was a post with a link to a steam looking store page with Half Life 3 on it, that post got deleted before I could find out if it was real or not, someone please tell me it was a lie so I can move on with my life.

The fake itself was just shitty (it ended with .ua). Awful description and poorly made fake image. Someone spent barely any time working on it.
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By falling_fast

maybe it will be just after the launch of the new consoles. I'm not holding my breath, though.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikemcn

@Eidderf said:

@Mikemcn:It was an april fool's joke or something unfortunately, when you clicked on the screenshot it took you to a rickroll video.

@zaglis said:

@Mikemcn said:

The fake itself was just shitty (it ended with .ua). Awful description and poorly made fake image. Someone spent barely any time working on it.

I only glanced at it because it was 2:30 AM and I was exhausted, I figured it was fake.

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By JJGIANT

I value valves ability to take time and cook their major projects but its a bit of a kicker for Half Life fans expecting three episodic adventures in close succession. I sort of feel that if you start an episodic game series you owe it to the fans who stick by you to stay on some sort of schedule. I'm sure when the next Half Life comes out it will be great, Valve will make sure of that, but you'd think they'd be done after 5 YEARS!!!!!! Why not just finish this third episode quick THEN take your time on a full blown Half Life 3. Just seems stupid.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

Half Life 3 might be overshadowed by new console announcements? Maybe they're waiting for that? (At this point what reason would you not believe?)

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By ReyGitano

At this point I don't care why Episode 3 never came out. Valve has done great things since then, and it's been so long since Episode 2 that honestly, I just won't be excited at this point if they ever do release an Episode 3.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theveej

At this point I have no expectation for Episode 3 to ever come out, Half life 3 though......... probably will come out with a new Valve engine coinciding with new gen of consoles

If Episode 3 does comeout, then FUCK YAH, MORE HALF LIFE SON!!!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

I have a feeling Half Life 2 Episode 3 turned into Half Life 3.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

I think the thing that's holding it back is the massive amount of ground they have to cover with all the different story points. After Portal 2 and the three Half life games there are so many little bits and pieces of fiction they have to address and links between the two series' that's it kind of crazy. If you care at all about the universe check out the Half Life wiki sometime and see just how many loose ends there are and different cryptic things they've set up that have yet to go anywhere. It's unlike any other game universe and most film universes.

It's actually one of my favourite things about Portal 2 just how much they hint at in regards to what can happen next but it seems to have been a bit awkwardly timed.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Harkat

@Poppduder said:

Can you imagine the power they're holding in their hands? What If they were to announce (without any of that announcement of an announcement bullshit) that Half Life 3 is coming out in a month? That kind of announcement and publicity would have the blast radius of a fucking nuke. It could be the biggest single press moment in video game history.

Dude, I'm tinging at the thought. Years of nothing. Then BOOM THE LEGEND FUCKING RETURNS TOMORROW!!!!

Telephis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Telephis

You guys are getting my hopes up.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captain_clayman

It'd be fucking amazing if episode 3 came out this year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I think people are being too impatient. I think it will come out, and I think it's going to be in a few years. If you think another Half-Life game isn't on Valve's radar, you're fooling yourself. It's probably a secret, but they're probably working on it right now, and have been for a while now. Gordon Freeman will be voiced by Morgan Freeman.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By august

It's because of dark matter.

Ceannfaolaidh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ceannfaolaidh

The thing that never fails to amaze me is that Valve has created an advertising campaign for a game which is untitled and hasn't been announced...and not paid a penny for it. There has been no word on the Half-Life series since 2007 but more people know about it now than they did then simply through hype.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Justin258

@Ceannfaolaidh said:

The thing that never fails to amaze me is that Valve has created an advertising campaign for a game which is untitled and hasn't been announced...and not paid a penny for it. There has been no word on the Half-Life series since 2007 but more people know about it now than they did then simply through hype.

If anything, this is what will kill the third game and I suspect it's part of why a lot of people just coming into the Half Life universe are underwhelmed. Hype for this series is phenomenally high, higher than almost any other game save a small few could ever have achieved, and it's just impossible to truly live up to that.

As for when it will actually be announced, much less come out? I don't know. I'll be excited when they announce it; until then, I'll be busy with other games that bother with things like release and completion.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EXTomar

My first guess why it took them so long is that Source itself needs to be rewritten or replaced. Source doesn't support a lot of things other platforms like Unreal Engine 3 just take for granted as modern features like asset streaming. Either working around the short comings or extending Source or outright replacing it would explain why they've been quite and taking so long.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real answer, it's because they can.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EXTomar

Actually I would say "Because they are playing too much DOTA2 instead of working" but really can you blame them?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winternet

Either Gabe plays DOTA 2 and buys knives all day or he makes Half-Life 3. Decisions, decisions.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thesquarepear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSQ8JbyQo8

/trollface

on the plus side it will probably come out before Black Mesa

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrockNRolla

@captain_clayman said:

It'd be fucking amazing if episode 3 came out this year.

I'd be fucking amazed if it came out ever. I'm still betting they skip it.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SniperXan

Why are people still commenting on an episode 3?! It's not going to be a new episode people, after so long if it isn't a full on HL3 then Valve has totally lost its shit.... isn't it obvious? To anyone?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm

This thread again? Oh, you guys.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

They haven't even started it yet would be my thought.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#34  Edited By UltorOscariot

I liked HL2 too, but I stopped bothering myself over this years ago. That way at least if something is ever done with the IP, it will seem like some pleasant surprise, like when Capcom made Mega Man 9. And even if something is ever released, I don't want to have expectations that cannot be met based on percieved developement time.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By myke_tuna

I feel like they should pull a Sega Saturn whenever they do announce Half-Life 2: Episode 3. "*cheering slowly fades* Alright guys. I know you want a release date. Well, there's one more surprise for you. Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will be available... right after this press conference. *cheering swell*"

A man can dream.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EXTomar

@Winternet said:

Either Gabe plays DOTA 2 and buys knives all day or he makes Half-Life 3. Decisions, decisions.

Playing DOTA 2 is requires a lot of skill and quick reactions. Playing with knives does too. How do you expect any human being to have anything left to make more Half-Life?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By kindgineer

They are doing it the same way Blizzard tactically holds their games. Half Life 3 will release at a moment of weakness for Valve to get everyone back on board. Think of it is as their "Ace up their sleeve." They'll pull it out when the going gets rough and they need to 1) Sell amazing amounts of copies, and 2) Re-establish their reputation with a - possibly - failing fan base.

My theory, of course.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spartanlolz92

i just hope my computer can run it if its a new engine :(.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

At this point it's damnably near impossible, in my opinion, for them not to show something about the next in the Half-Life series, whether it be Episode 3 or Half-Life 3, at E3 this year.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By glyn

Obviously they are going to release it as the headline game for the next xbox console. Updated graphics and all the rest of it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sooty

They're being this silent because the hype that will be generated when this gets announced is going to be crazy.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By Geno

A new engine isn't out of the question, but I doubt it. DX11 adoption isn't that high yet and the cost to make a new engine would be astronomical. It would also have a hard time competing with the likes of UE4, CE3 and FB2.  

Valve has successfully carved a niche with creative, accessible and well-supported games. Steam is the most successful digital distributor of games in the world. Source in its current form is already adequate for making next-gen games. Making a new engine probably isn't high on their list of priorities when they can spend a fraction of that money making games and sell millions of copies. 

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By glyn

They are waiting for the release of Halo 4. Once that has passed then we will hear

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By falserelic

At this point they should just call it half life 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally expect the release to just be: boom, we're done, you can buy it right now if you like. It'd be amazing.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RedRavN

I'm guessing HL3 or episode 3 will actually be a multiplatform launch title for the next generation consoles and PC. Its really the only thing that makes sense at this point. It just seems like releasing anything with half life 2 gameplay at this point would be somewhat old and underwhelming no matter what new gameplay feature they managed to include.

What I want is half life 3 and then they can go back and do the prequel (episode 3) after or do it as a DLC. I'm thinking that it is possible for an anouncment in 2013 and then a release window of the holdiday season 2013.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm gonna say that we'll never know if there's a new source engine because it'll just be called source and be based off the exact same backbone that is is now. The engine felt like it was showing it's age then Portal 2 proved it could provide modern visuals and scale really well. They're just going to update source in perpetuity I think.

As for Half-Life, I'm gonna guess that they've made way more money through TF2 and the Portal franchise than they ever have with Half-Life, so I can't imagine it being a game they feel imperative to get out right away.

For marketing I predict a long and protracted ARG followed by a sudden announcement on Steam releasing the game either that month, that week, or hell that day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.