Do you think HL2 Ep3 will come out on consoles?

#1 Posted by ZombieJesus (231 posts) -

If it comes out for consoles  will it be downloadable or will it be in some sort of compilation similar to the orange box containing Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead or will it be a stand alone game. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It will most definitely come to consoles, but I think it may be one of the first downloadable games for XBL, and one of the few for PSN.  I have hopes that Valve could break that big game barrier in Xbox Live. If it does come out on disc (which it will, considering not everyone has Live), I predict it is going to be another compilation box, but L4D isn't going to be on it because it already is released.  Portal 2, and a bunch of old and new Valve games would probably come with it (Black Mesa mod anyone?).

#3 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Well, they did release "Portal: Still Alive" on XBL. And while Episode 3 should be quite a lot bigger, I don't see why they shouldn't or couldn't put it up the same way.

Though I still think they want to release it together with Portal 2, and that there will be a retail version.

#4 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

It'll definitely come out for the 360, probably not the PS3.

#5 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Portal 2 + Half-Life 2 Ep 3 + ???
Box set for Xbox and PC

#6 Posted by DeadlyPain (397 posts) -

it'll be a boxset - in stead of the orange box it'll be Green with pink spots :D 

#7 Posted by mracoon (4961 posts) -

Yes, just as all the other HL games have been on consoles.

#8 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Probably both, I really hope that they come out with another collection containing their releases in the past 5 years.

#9 Edited by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

360, not PS3.*

*Assumption based on what platform Valve likes. Gabe has expressed how he likes the 360 over the PS3. Considering how Orange Box was released, if Episode 3 does come out for PS3 it will probably be at a later time.

#10 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

I think somethings wrong with me, I'll blog about it later, but for some sick disgusting reason, I hated Half Life 2. I got into raven holm, after hating every fucking minute with that goddamn helicopter and shitty hoverboat, and unlike Vinchenzo who 1000/1000 pointed it, I threw my controller down in anger and frustration, never to pick it up again.

#11 Posted by Kilzombie (407 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"I think somethings wrong with me, I'll blog about it later, but for some sick disgusting reason, I hated Half Life 2. I got into raven holm, after hating every fucking minute with that goddamn helicopter and shitty hoverboat, and unlike Vinchenzo who 1000/1000 pointed it, I threw my controller down in anger and frustration, never to pick it up again."
Once I got past Ravenholm and that excruciatingly lame travel section, i found the game to be quite enjoyable.
#12 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I would imagine since HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 were released on consoles then they will release Episode 3 aswell. Hopefully the delay in it being produced is due to a new engine running the game, lord knows the Source engine is really getting a little long in the tooth right now. So a new engine and maybe some other game like Portal 2 is being worked on.

#13 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -
Hamz said:
"I would imagine since HL2, Episode 1 and Episode 2 were released on consoles then they will release Episode 3 aswell. Hopefully the delay in it being produced is due to a new engine running the game, lord knows the Source engine is really getting a little long in the tooth right now. So a new engine and maybe some other game like Portal 2 is being worked on."
I don't think Valve would make a new game engine for an episodic game.  They will probably just put new features in it as always.  However, I can imagine Episode 3 being the swan song of the Source engine.

As to this being on consoles, I would think that it would be release in an Orange Box type deal.  As to what's in it, my guess would be:
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 + Portal 2 + New Counter-Strike game = Orange Box 2
#14 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -
coakroach said:
"Portal 2 + Half-Life 2 Ep 3 + ???
Box set for Xbox and PC"
What makes you think they won't make a PS3 version? Even if EA has to handle it.
#15 Edited by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Hmm, I hope I'll be done with all the other half life games before it comes out, I'm nearly done with Half Life 2.

#16 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"I think somethings wrong with me, I'll blog about it later, but for some sick disgusting reason, I hated Half Life 2. I got into raven holm, after hating every fucking minute with that goddamn helicopter and shitty hoverboat, and unlike Vinchenzo who 1000/1000 pointed it, I threw my controller down in anger and frustration, never to pick it up again."
I used to feel the same way. When I first played bought the orange box I hated half life 2. I got past the hover boat part and got the gravity gun. For some reason I wasnt enjoying the game, so I traded it in. Later on down the road, when there were no new games around I needed something to play and found the orange box for 17.00. I have since beat every episode and am replaying them right now. I even enjoyed the hover boat part I used to hate. I dont know what it is but the game grows on you. I cant wait for black mesa source since I never played the original half life. I will go along with many others and say, half life2 is the best fps I have ever played.
#17 Posted by destro (248 posts) -

Yeah probably on the Marketplace and PSN though

#18 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

yes.

#19 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

I really hope so, I was pissed off at the ending of Episode 2.

#20 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"I think somethings wrong with me, I threw my controller down in anger and frustration, never to pick it up again."
Yes, you suck at games and have a short-temper.
#21 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

You silly console gamers don't deserve our Half-life :P
jk, the more that can enjoy half-life the better
it should be coming out on 360 at least.
Keyboard and mouse FTW

#22 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

THREAD : RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.  Yea, I know that's what Giant Bomb is all about...

Anyways, I hope when the next installment in the Half Life series comes out, they have another Orange Box like pack.  I wouldn't mind if they just included the original Half Life (have it on Steam, but I'd like to play it on 360 for some reason), maybe a new version of Counter Strike...

#23 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -
Gizmo said:
"Gorillawhat said:
"I think somethings wrong with me, I threw my controller down in anger and frustration, never to pick it up again."
Yes, you suck at games and have a short-temper."
I'm glad I kept reading, otherwise I would have written the exact same thing. Instead I'll just say, "pff, pussy."
#24 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

If its released stand alone first, like Ep1 and 2 was, no it won't...it will be released with another Orange Box type of release I would imagine.

#25 Posted by Beechbone (109 posts) -

Surely it will come out on 360, after all they wouldn't release Orange Box for consoles and then say, oh that's all for you console players, you won't see how HL2 storyline ends. PS3 release is a mystery cause Valve doesn't care about Sony's console. EA pretty much on its own ported Orange Box to PS3 and as for Left4Dead it was never meant to be released on PS3.

And is Ep3 going to be released within something like "Orange Box 2"? Might be, most preferably alongside Portal 2 and maybe something else (Counter Strike 2 anyone?). I doubt it will be available on XBLA cause it's just too big for this. It would cost a hell lot of Microsoft points also. As it is conslusion to Freeman's story Ep3 will probably be bigger, better (and more badass) than previous episodes especially that they are already working on it for like 2 years now which is more than Ep1 and Ep2.

Anyways, I'm just guessing here really. Maybe E3 will reveal something about HL future :)

#26 Posted by Arjuna (886 posts) -

Is episode 3 coming out at all?

#27 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

Isn't Episode 3 going to be like a full Half-Life game? I thought I read that somewhere...in that case, no need for XBL or a compilation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.