Episode 3 and Portal 2's Ending (Spoilers You Fools)

#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Sup fools,

• At the end of Portal 2 the world is fine and safe.  Portal 2 takes place after Episode 3.  Thus, John Freeman and his brother saved the world.  
  • At the end of Portal 2 co-op, you see that ending.  Could this mean that humans are dead or left the planet, or just used as subjects?

Portal 2 confirms the Earth is saved right?  So what's the point of Episode 3 when we know how it'll end.
#2 Posted by Cupids_Hitman (164 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Portal 2 takes place almost 200 years after the Half-Life 2 games. For all we know, most of humanity was wiped out (and only those in bunker-like buildings survived) and the Combine left.
#3 Posted by ManiacMaysin (375 posts) -

who is john freeman? and what makes you think portal2 is 200 years after half life?

#4 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -
@ManiacMaysin said:
who is john freeman? and what makes you think portal2 is 200 years after half life?
John Freeman is a joke (this is KaosAngel dude), and as for the 200 years thing; Portal 1 takes place during the whole black mesa incident and beyond and Portal 2 takes place at least 20 or so years after Portal 1. However "at least" could mean anywhere between 20 and 500 because of how the game adresses that part.
#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@ManiacMaysin said:
It's been confirmed that Portal 2 is set hundreds of years after Portal 1, which is supposedly set at the same time as HL2.
#6 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Didn't know john freeman was cannon. I guess they spoiled the ending of one of their franchises with another franchise. Or is Portal 2 Half Life 3? Think about it...
#7 Posted by Bumpton (451 posts) -

yEAH, butt John AND Jeff Freemans are the Chosne onez. We allreddy new theyd save Erth. duh.
#8 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
@ManiacMaysin said:
It's been confirmed that Portal 2 is set hundreds of years after Portal 1, which is supposedly set at the same time as HL2.
got proof for that?
#9 Edited by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

there's an interview with gaben himself where he says he doesn't consider portal and half life to be in the same universe, even though they share some material. it's on the internet somewhere.

#10 Posted by DeeGee (2144 posts) -

What's the point of playing any video game because your character is always going to win in the end.

You've opened my eyes, man. I was gonna get LA Noire but the guy is going to solve the murder in the end, so it's not worth playing. I'll just watch the new Pirates of the Carribean movie instead ... but wait, Captain Jack will come out triumphant =(

MY WORLD IS RUINED.

#11 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5288 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
there's an interview with gaben himself where he says he doesn't consider portal and half life to be in the same universe, even though they share some material. it's on the internet somewhere.
What about when in Portal 2 Cave Johnson totally rips on Black Mesa for stealing their ideas or something of the like. I'd like to think all Valve games take place in the same universe. They just have that feel to them.
#12 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
@Toms115 said:
What about when in Portal 2 Cave Johnson totally rips on Black Mesa for stealing their ideas or something of the like. I'd like to think all Valve games take place in the same universe. They just have that feel to them.
gaben's reasoning was that the tones of the two games were far too different to ever exist in the same space. again, shared material and nods here and there are present, but according to gaben, they're just not in the same universe.
#13 Posted by Finstern (643 posts) -

The point is to see what happened to the characters and the world, if you are happy knowing the earth is ok, thats fine, I'd imagine the story of how it happened is a whole lot more entertaining though.

#14 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#15 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -
@Bumpton said:
yEAH, butt John AND Jeff Freemans are the Chosne onez. We allreddy new theyd save Erth. duh.
This is the best.
#16 Posted by Siphillis (1297 posts) -
@ManiacMaysin said:

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!
#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The joke is that Portal 2 is actually episode 3.

Freeman lost.

The end.

#18 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

@Jack268: Valve has been changing that for awhile, though. Atfirst they wanted the two universes to tie into each other. But I've heard now that they've said they want it to be separate from Half-Life.

#19 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

With so much talk in the Portal games of travelling to alternate worlds and dimensions, and with you actually travelling to another world in Half-Life, how do you know that the world outside is not just one possibility of the fate of the world in the Half-Life universe, different from what will happen in the timeline of Gabe Newell's Odyssey?

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Mixwizzard: You do realize that the guy you are responding to is probably dead, or worse, frozen to awaken in a test chamber.

#21 Posted by jakob187 (21731 posts) -

@Toms115 said:

Gabe is also the guy that trolls people on the regular basis. Portal 2 specifically has dialogue spoken by J.K. Simmons about Black Mesa's research interfering with Aperture's.

#22 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@Toms115 said:

Gabe is also the guy that trolls people on the regular basis. Portal 2 specifically has dialogue spoken by J.K. Simmons about Black Mesa's research interfering with Aperture's.

Portal and Half Life are definitely in the same universe. The most interesting thing now is how they connect.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Half-Life_universe#cite_note-GI-6

#23 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Dagbiker: No I'm right here brahh
#24 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Yeah I do :/

#25 Posted by Jay_Ray (1118 posts) -

I prefer Morgan Freeman

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Morgan Freeman = GLaDOS

Minds = Blown.

#27 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@KaosAngel: What is the point of reading Shakespeare or watching any film you have seen before or doing anything you may know the ending to.

It is not the ending that is important most of the time but how you get there that matters. It is the experience which you have faced, you want to know the events which happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.