Half Life 2 Episode 3 is Half Life 3?

#1 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

What do you think the late title card or fantasy title card will be for this game or the one for Half-Life 3?

I'm hoping that when you play Episode 3 you play for at least 30min of episode 3 with the same graphics and assets as episode 2 then the title card comes up. 
 When the title card comes up it says HALF-LIFE 2 EPISODE 3 and then the title card degrades with the graphics and everything looking and working better when finally all that is left after the degrade is HALF-LIFE 3.

#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Half-Life 4

#3 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

saywhatnow

#4 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -

Since Duke Nukem is actually coming out, is Half-Life 3 the new Duke?

#5 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

Half-Life 2 ep 3 will come out cause it is actually developed by competent people, which duke nukem was not.

#6 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" Since Duke Nukem is actually coming out, is Half-Life 3 the new Duke? "
The plot twist is that Gordan Freeman was Duke Nukem before he got his balls of steel.
#7 Posted by AndrewB (7499 posts) -

It's been at least a year since I started believing that they're dropping the Episode branding and going with a straight-up Half-Life 3; new engine and all.

#8 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
The plot twist is that Gordan Freeman was Duke Nukem before he got his balls of steel. "
Are you suggesting that Gordan Freeman doesn't have balls of steel?

Thems' fightin' words boy!
#9 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I know that Valve said they're going to have some sort of huge announcement before the end of the year; if this is Half-Life 3 or just another "steam is coming to PS3" announcement, who knows. Looking forward to finding out none the less.

#10 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Gabriel said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
The plot twist is that Gordan Freeman was Duke Nukem before he got his balls of steel. "
Are you suggesting that Gordan Freeman doesn't have balls of steel?  Thems' fightin' words boy! "
Well he never talks. I bet he has a totally whiny nerd voice. We find this out within the first five minutes of the game, then he gets hit in the scrotum with some sort of superdimensional ray that causes him to grow a pair of steel balls. He's gonna ditch the chick with flabby tits and totally sex up all the stripper ladies with his metal sperm-havers.
#11 Posted by shadyspace (457 posts) -

I'll be shocked if they still call it Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

#12 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

Hasn't it been said that the episodes are just instalments of Half-Life 3? Saying that they would have preferred if they used Half-Life 3: Episode 1, for example, instead.

#13 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" Hasn't it been said that the episodes are just instalments of Half-Life 3? Saying that they would have preferred if they used Half-Life 3: Episode 1, for example, instead. "

I think with the way Episode 2 ended it would be pretty stupid to call it Half-Life 3, since you already roughly know the objective that the next game will revolve around. 

For Half-Life 3, I would expect a completely new scenario, much like the transition from HL to HL2 instead of just completing an unfinished arc in the story.

@shadyspace said:
" I'll be shocked if they still call it Half-Life 2: Episode 3. "
I'll be disappointed if the don't.
#14 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i want to see it episode 3. and a new half life all together a few years down the line new engine and all. it will be incredible. 

#15 Posted by bybeach (4728 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
"i want to see it episode 3. and a new half life all together a few years down the line new engine and all. it will be incredible.  "

I've been rather dissapointed with how the Halflife thing has been going. Episode 2 really took off, did it's thing, and now, nothing. But if it all went the way 215 says, well, it would be worth it. episode 3,well, it is following episode 2. But I do hope Episode 3 is a full length game, that one caveat. It's time for one for the Halflife series.
#16 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I actually think they're working on Episode 3 and Half-Life 3 concurrently. 

#17 Posted by BBQBram (2202 posts) -

I don't really care if they wrap up HL2 before moving on to a new installment, as long as they hurry up about it and keep the momentum going. I think people are kind of having a hard time keeping the hype alive.

#18 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
He's gonna ditch the chick with flabby tits. "

Don't you speak in evil tongues about Alyx or I'll crowbar your ass!
#19 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

As long as it actually gets released, it can be whatever it wants to be.

#20 Posted by NoDeath (798 posts) -

The real question is which will come first: Episode 3 or Black Mesa Source.

#21 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I've lost interest in Half-Life. Valve doesn't understand how episodic games work.

#22 Posted by mikmanner (91 posts) -

I'd find it weird if they didn't call it Half Life 2: Episode 3 - mostly because the next game is a continuation of this storyline - I feel that Half Life 3 should be another radical jump in time like it was from 1 to 2.

#23 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

I don't think anyone is expecting Episode 3 anymore. We're already 6 years post-HL2. Then again, the story in City 17 isn't wrapped and the stories from 1 to 2 were both radical jumps.
#24 Posted by mikmanner (91 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:
" I don't think anyone is expecting Episode 3 anymore. We're already 6 years post-HL2. Then again, the story in City 17 isn't wrapped and the stories from 1 to 2 were both radical jumps. "
Radical time jumps. Radical.
#25 Posted by Cupids_Hitman (164 posts) -
@NoDeath: My money is on Black Mesa: Source, honestly.
#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum
Since Duke Nukem is actually coming out, is Half-Life 3 the new Duke?
Duke Nukem Forever IS Half Life 3.
#27 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Yes it is and it will have a new engine. The source engine 2. I'm just speculating

#28 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

We are not ready to talk about it yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.