Half-Life 3 on the PS4

• 76 results
#1 Edited by plato84 (67 posts) -

I would like to get it down in writing before it happens, so that everyone can see what a genius I am and give me the appropriate recognition.

So I reckon that at the coming E3, the PS4 press conference will run as expected, and the conference will end with a "and just one more thing" A teaser will start to run, with the G-Mans quote from Half-Life 2 introducing it "Mr Freeman... you've been asleep a long time" A breif teaser will run showing a little of the new game and will then fade to black, and the Half-Life Lambda, Steam, and PS4 logo will fade back in, then "Coming November 2013" will fade in, then the trailer will stop, and Gabe will walk out onto the stage to announce that the PS4 will launch with full steam integration, and Half-Life 3 will be a console exclusive launch title on the PS4. Then everyone will go batshit.

#2 Posted by Pr1mus (3822 posts) -

Ok

#3 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I very much doubt this happening, but that would be a hell of a get for Sony.

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3831 posts) -

anything could happen every since newell came out to sonys e3 2010 conference !

#5 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

Whats comes after the number 2 sonny?

Because I seriously don't know and need help ;_;

#6 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

I imagine it possible that Steam moves to the PS4 one day when Windows becomes unbearable for Valve in the future.

#7 Edited by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

I really wish people would put question marks in titles like this. Otherwise, you make it sound like this has actually happened rather than it might happen.

#8 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (336 posts) -

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Valve doesn't have any interest in putting out games for consoles anymore.

#9 Edited by BisonHero (6219 posts) -

@hugh_jazz said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Valve doesn't have any interest in putting out games for consoles anymore.

Agreed, but it just seems so nuts that A) console support for TF2 was terrible, and still kinda not great for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, B) then they announce a new era of Valve and Sony partnership by including Steam with Portal 2 on PS3, C) then they say "Naw, fuck it, we'll stick to Linux and making our own hardware".

I guess Portal 2 must've tricked a few PS3 users into checking out Steam who might not have otherwise, but that whole thing just seems so one-off and random.

#10 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

The optimal turn of events is that HL3 gets announced, but not the way you said, so we still all get Half-Life but you don't get the recognition. Because you asked for it.

#11 Edited by cloudnineboya (765 posts) -

i will believe you if you can tell me what i am about to have for dinner.

#12 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

Steam will not be on any consoles, so Valve will only be releasing it for PC/Steambox if it's made.

#13 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

@cloudnineboya said:

i will believe you if you can tell me what i am about to have for dinner.

Pizza.

#14 Edited by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -

I think you would have a better chance of winning the lottery than this happening.

@hairymike87 Steam is already on consoles. Portal 2 on PS3 has full steam achievement and friends list support.

#15 Edited by cloudnineboya (765 posts) -

@donutfever: nope but close as in the region of food.

#16 Posted by GaspoweR (2818 posts) -

#17 Edited by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

@plato84: I expect something from Valve there....just not Half-Life 3. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it was finally shown off, in some form. Whatever Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was supposed to had obviously been folded into Half-Life 3, but maybe the whole thing is just dead, or Valve doesn't feel confident in the product yet, or maybe they're just the biggest trolls. Steam integration, if valve shows up, is pretty likely.

My bet: Team Fortress 2, free-to-play, on PS4. With Cross-platform play.

Has Valve said anything about e3? I know last year, they announced a couple of weeks before it that they wouldn't show up, I think. But any word about this year?

#18 Edited by Abendlaender (2766 posts) -

And after announcing it Gabe will spread his wings and fly away.

#19 Posted by Shortbreadtom (688 posts) -

Yep. That's gonna happen.

#20 Posted by djou (860 posts) -

@phenry1991: I agree with you. I think it would be really interesting if Valve expanded the microtransaction base for TF2 by introducing it to PS4 players. I know its a 6 year old game but the thing is still fun as hell and getting new content. It would be smart for both Sony and Valve. Everyone who buys the console will get a free game with a thriving community and Valve would sign up a who bunch of folks for Steam and sell more hats.

I would be skeptical about HL2:3 but maybe Left 4 Dead 3?

#21 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Christ, I don't know about a console exclusive Half Life 3, but sure, I wouldn't doubt it showing up on the Playstation.

#22 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I highly doubt Half-Life 3 would restrict itself as a Sony console exclusive. That would be an horrible move.

#23 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2203 posts) -

This won't happen, but if it did watching the internet implode in itself would be really fun to watch.

#24 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

...they announce a new era of Valve and Sony partnership by including Steam with Portal 2 on PS3, C) then they say "Naw, fuck it, we'll stick to Linux and making our own hardware".

After seeing what became of the Valve/Sony "partnership" (by which I mean jack shit) I'm under the impression that the whole thing was more of a jab at Microsoft than any sort of real partnership with Sony.

#25 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (336 posts) -

@klei: Well, if it was showing up on any console it'd probably be only PS4, as Sony is the only platform-holder who might be willing to accomodate Valve with regards to Steamworks and all that. Well, at least they were with the PS3, but who knows any more?

#26 Posted by altairre (1130 posts) -

No.

#27 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

Put away the million logic flaws in this scenario, and you know put away everything that valve has done in the last year to monetize the shit out of everything they do on steam and lets say everything happens according to your plan. I would bet my house on Half Life 3 not coming out in November 2013.......... that is like 5 months from now buddy. 5 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOTA 2 will probably still be in beta by then!!!

#28 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

@djou: I could see Left 4 Dead 3 being announced as a multiplatform title. The last one sold really well on the 360. And the title being found in the steam database thing a few days ago, makes it likely. While valve has apparently announced they won't be exhibiting at e3, there's still a good chance they'll announce something at one of the major press conferences. It's a new console cycle, anything could happen.

#29 Posted by djou (860 posts) -

@phenry1991: Maybe, I hope so... L4D3 with the PS4's sharing/social features would be great.

There's a cottage industry around HL3 speculation at this point. All I know is that Clint Hocking has been working at Valve for a few years now and they haven't produced one damn game other than the free-to-play stuff. In my fantasy he's working on some mind blowing game design that can live up to the hype surround HL. They aren't dummies there and unless there's an advantageous business reason for them to launch a PS4 game they'll keep developing their new engine and console and milking Steam/Dota 2. I just really hope they don't try to pull a Halo-style media crossover and do a movie/TV series. That's the last thing I want.

#30 Posted by TheHT (10915 posts) -

if half-life 3 comes out this holiday season, i'd feel much less inclined to buy a new console. i'll just hug my pc.

DON'T JUDGE ME.

#31 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2228 posts) -

Two things

1. Valve has said they don't need E3 to announce a new game

2. They wouldn't announce a new Half-Life on a Playstation conference. They wouldn't do it on an Xbox conference either.

#32 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

1. no.

2. also, no.

#33 Posted by virtorio (248 posts) -

I think it'll be more likely that Sony will announce they've scrapped the current PS4, and the next Playstation will be re-branded Xbox One's.

#34 Posted by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -

#35 Edited by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

Half-Life 4 launch exclusive on PS4!?!

So you're telling me they'll release both 3 AND 4 exclusively on the PS4 at the same time. Daaaamn. Dat Sony money uh.

#36 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

Yep, you're the first one to ever say that, like, totally.

#37 Edited by Bollard (5279 posts) -

#38 Edited by Jace (1092 posts) -

I really wish people would put question marks in titles like this. Otherwise, you make it sound like this has actually happened rather than it might happen.

How can something he specifies as taking place at a future event sound like it has already happened?

#39 Edited by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

@jace said:

@video_game_king said:

How can something he specifies as taking place at a future event sound like it has already happened?

I wasn't aware that "as" was a future tense verb. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a verb.

I also wasn't aware that as was spelled "o-n". Still, my point stands.

#40 Edited by TurboMan (7417 posts) -

Going the extra mile: Half Life 3 is announced exclusively for consoles on the PS4 and the PSN and Steam join services so PSN+ is available for Steam's community and you can browse the PSN store on Steam and have a download queue for your PS4 on Steam on your PC/Mac

#41 Posted by Whitestripes09 (400 posts) -

Buckets, buckets of tears of joy everywhere. That's what would happen.

#42 Edited by CreepyUncleBrad (166 posts) -

Yes, I'm sure Valve would love to turn down the money from the massive install base Steam has on PC's and make one of the defining PC franchises console exclusive. That's where the money is baby.

#43 Posted by Stackboy (483 posts) -

Someone makes this prediction every year.

#44 Edited by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Yes, I'm sure Valve would love to turn down the money from the massive install base Steam has on PC's and make one of the defining PC franchises console exclusive. That's where the money is baby.

All this would do is make steams install base even bigger by expanding to a console, and he means console exclusive as in PS4 is the only console that will get Half Life 3, PC will still get it of course.

#45 Posted by benpicko (2001 posts) -

A space in that sentence

#46 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Guys... Half Life 2 Episode 3 will NEVER come out

#47 Edited by plato84 (67 posts) -

@sirpsychosexy is right, I mean it will launch on PS4 and PC with an XBOX One version to follow a year or so later. And then Gabe will assume his final form, open one of his 9 mouths, and sing the song that makes the world end.

#48 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@jace said:

@video_game_king said:

I wasn't aware that "as" was a future tense verb. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a verb.

I also wasn't aware that as was spelled "o-n". Still, my point stands.

I think "Half-Life 3" in the thread title gives away that it's hypothetical.

#49 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

Nope. I doubt Valve will be anywhere near E3 unless it's something Dota 2 related.

#50 Posted by Paddygezus (2 posts) -

@plato84: I doubt very much Valve will announce HL3 on the PS4 at E3. However, a DOTA 2 announcement pre/post E3? Maybe...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.