Half Life Episode 3 Concept Video

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Looks like Valve is taking the best of Mirror's Edge for Episode 3...

 
Source: Leakerz.com 

Looks like Valve is gonna add a ton of physicality to Gordon Freeman. Natural animation and motion and interaction with the environment. Hopefully it comes together well. Enjoy the cocktease...
 
     
   
 
Yep, I like the ideo of it!
 
 
Source: Leakerz.com
#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

MAN I HAD A MOTHERFUCKING DREAM LAST GODDAMN NIGHT THAT I WENT TO THE STORE AND THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME WAS ON THE GODDAMN SHELVES AND THEN I WOKE UP AND IT WASN'T AND I WAS LIKE FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#3 Posted by Forcen (1810 posts) -

Wait, does this guy work at Valve and is uploading youtube videos of ep3 or is it just some talented youtuber?

#4 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Looks alright, but are you sure Valve made this? 

#5 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

fake, some animator made this.

#6 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT AIM DOWN THE SIGHT 
 
UNORIGINALITY IS UNORIGINAL

#7 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

I'm gonna call fake

#8 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

LIES, LIES!

INTENTIONAL LOGICAL FALLACIES!

#9 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Why must you turn this forum into a house of lies?

#10 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

That looked very fake. There's no way in hell Valve made that.

#11 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I just looked on Youtube and apparently it's just an animation from 3ds Max? Do we know if this guy is a Valve employee or something? 

#12 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -

It's not fake and it's not made by anyone from Valve.

#13 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

fake, some animator made this.

"
According to leakerz.com it's pristine. A certain James Benson released it.
#14 Posted by swamplord666 (1758 posts) -

if that's real then i'm looking forward to it already! I'm liking that both this and duke nukem show more of the body and movement

#15 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I don't know if this is real or not, but I've been thinking for a while that this was an area the Valve needed to improve in Episode 3. I love HL2, but the games feel very stiff compared to Killzone and MW.
 
EDIT: I've also just realized that some of the things that I have been thinking about for the design that I am working on are in that video. I can't decide if that's good or bad.
 
EDIT2: Does anybody thinks that this looks like what Trespasser should have been?

#16 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Seppli: O rly? Here is what it says on his youtube page
 
About Me:
 
My name is James Benson and you can reach me at James9475@gmail.com

I have a barebones website at bensonanimations.com

Quick Q & A:

These videos were made in 3DS max, no I don't know how to dance, yes the song is sort of terrible, no the sniper dance wasn't stolen from WoW, yes the heavy/medic dance is kind of homoerotic.

I am self taught, I learned by taking apart Valve animation, I have been animating for about 18 months. Most recently I worked on Fable 3. I am currently looking for a new position.    
#17 Posted by Droop (1845 posts) -

This is fan made

#18 Posted by TheKeyboardDemon (824 posts) -

That looks awesome. I must get a new graphics card just for that game, plus maybe a new motherboard and some ram! ;)

#19 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

fake, some animator made this.

"
Yep.
#20 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Ok, getting back to the matter at hand: 3 reasons why this is fake:
A: Gordon never does any action more than once, making this untenable as a gaming experience (unless there is some Euphoria Engine madness going on).
B: Half of it looks perfect, while the other half (the environment) doesn't even have placeholder textures.
C: Making Gordon give the thumbs up is more than a gameplay change. It gives Gordon a whole bunch more personality than he has previously had, and not one that I can say that I consider to be consistent. I just can't see Valve including that.

#21 Edited by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@Seppli: The video is fan made.
#22 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -
@Seppli: Please don't tell me you think this is real...Did you even look at the youtube page.  The guys page says " I am self taught, I learned by taking apart Valve animation, I have been animating for about 18 months"
#23 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

 I don't give a shit if this isn't real, I WANT MORE HALF-LIFE!!

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Guys, it's obvious that this is made by an animator and not by Valve.  No need for in-depth reasoning.  I don't understand how the OP could have even thought that Valve had made this.

#25 Posted by djaoni (339 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
" Ok, getting back to the matter at hand: 3 reasons why this is fake: A: Gordon never does any action more than once, making this untenable as a gaming experience (unless there is some Euphoria Engine madness going on). B: Half of it looks perfect, while the other half (the environment) doesn't even have placeholder textures. C: Making Gordon give the thumbs up is more than a gameplay change. It gives Gordon a whole bunch more personality than he has previously had, and not one that I can say that I consider to be consistent. I just can't see Valve including that. "
D: Saying it's "fake" when it's clearly just animation by a random guy is beyond retarded.  
#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10864 posts) -

LIES! Gordon Freeman does not have legs! 

Moderator
#27 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@djaoni: I would say fair enough, except that this was presented as a real thing by the OP, and I am judging it as such. Also, there is no need to get riled up about it.
#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

I'm awaiting the day games actually play as dynamically as in the video.

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I'm awaiting the day games actually play as dynamically as in the video. "
Rock Band.
#30 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

It's not a video from anyone at valve. It's the work of a lone animator who did the dance fortress 2 from what I understand.

#31 Edited by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

I can't get hurt, I can't believe. And This is animated.

#32 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Christ, it's made by the same guy who did the dancing tf2 dudes. He's a very talented animator, not a valve employee.
I'll tell you why this is clearly fake, though: Episode 3 will never exist.

#33 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I'm awaiting the day games actually play as dynamically as in the video. "

I think Uncharted 2 is the closest we have gotten to this so far.

I so wanted this to be real.

#34 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

There are a lot of cool ideas in there that could really improve on the feel of Half Life games. Someone at Valve should take note of this. It would be exciting if there were some radical changes in the way those games feel. The physicality seems like a good idea.

#35 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -
@djaoni said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" Ok, getting back to the matter at hand: 3 reasons why this is fake: A: Gordon never does any action more than once, making this untenable as a gaming experience (unless there is some Euphoria Engine madness going on). B: Half of it looks perfect, while the other half (the environment) doesn't even have placeholder textures. C: Making Gordon give the thumbs up is more than a gameplay change. It gives Gordon a whole bunch more personality than he has previously had, and not one that I can say that I consider to be consistent. I just can't see Valve including that. "
D: Saying it's "fake" when it's clearly just animation by a random guy is beyond retarded.   "
It IS fake in that it is said to be a concept video for HL2:E3, which it is not.  
 
The fact that it's an animation is not what's being declared fake, obviously
#36 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

This looks good for a fan job.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.