Half-Life: Episode Three hopes diminished

#1 Edited by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

After Valves announcement of Left 4 Dead 2, my hopes for an E3 HL: Ep. 3 announcement were destroyed. Basically it seems like Left 4 Dead is more popular than HL, so they are just trying to squish its fame until the last penny bounces off it. Bye bye Freeman, see you in a couple of years.

#2 Posted by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -
@angelkanarias said:
" After Valves announcement of Left 4 Dead 2, my hopes for an E3 HL: Ep. 3 announcement were destroyed. Basically it seems like Left 4 Dead is more popular than HL, so they are just trying to squish its fame until the last penny bounces off it. Bye bye Freeman, see you in a couple of years. "
It's because the geniuses at Valve didn't keep people's interest in Half Life 2 continuous.  They did pretty well with Ep 1 and 2, but they have waited way to freaking long for this one, and now we may pay the price.

However!  I do have hope that they will make some sort of Orange Box 2 (Yellow Box?) that has Left 4 Dead 2 and Ep 3 along with a new Portal.  This is a fantasy, though, and the chances are slim to none.
#3 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -

Poor Gordon Freeman... looks like he'll be sleeping for another couple years.

#4 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

Ya its really too bad that another year goes by (probably) without something to do with episode 3. Maybe some convention later this year will have some information about it. Though i disagree that valve is squeezing left 4 dead dry for money. A free dlc pack and a sequel is hardly milking a franchise.

#5 Posted by CaptSuavity (53 posts) -

@SoulEdgeSlayer said:
"
@angelkanarias said:
" After Valves announcement of Left 4 Dead 2, my hopes for an E3 HL: Ep. 3 announcement were destroyed. Basically it seems like Left 4 Dead is more popular than HL, so they are just trying to squish its fame until the last penny bounces off it. Bye bye Freeman, see you in a couple of years. "
It's because the geniuses at Valve didn't keep people's interest in Half Life 2 continuous.  They did pretty well with Ep 1 and 2, but they have waited way to freaking long for this one, and now we may pay the price.However!  I do have hope that they will make some sort of Orange Box 2 (Yellow Box?) that has Left 4 Dead 2 and Ep 3 along with a new Portal.  This is a fantasy, though, and the chances are slim to none. "
I think you're on to something their-
Orange Box 2: Left4Dead 2, HL Ep 3, Portal 2

Except l4d 2 is supposed to come out this holiday, so i very much doubt they would a ep 3 ready by then.
Dammit i got myself excited.
#6 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
@SoulEdgeSlayer: 
"
@angelkanarias said:
It's because the geniuses at Valve didn't keep people's interest in Half Life 2 continuous.  They did pretty well with Ep 1 and 2, but they have waited way to freaking long for this one, and now we may pay the price.However!  I do have hope that they will make some sort of Orange Box 2 (Yellow Box?) that has Left 4 Dead 2 and Ep 3 along with a new Portal.  This is a fantasy, though, and the chances are slim to none. "
that would be sweet. but as you say, too cool to ever be true.
#7 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

As it stands, there was a 1 year gap between Episode One and Two...and right now, we're only a year and a half past Episode 2.  Therefore, the idea that L4D2 could be a bundled deal with Episode Three isn't necessarily too far off...but it seems unlikely.

Keep hoping, though...
#8 Posted by JakJ (999 posts) -

It's funny though. They can't make a new 5 hour game every six months like they originally promised, but they can crank out L4D 2 in a little under a year. Probably means they took people off the Ep3 team, the bastards.

#9 Posted by Omali (42 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" As it stands, there was a 1 year gap between Episode One and Two...and right now, we're only a year and a half past Episode 2.  Therefore, the idea that L4D2 could be a bundled deal with Episode Three isn't necessarily too far off...but it seems unlikely.

Keep hoping, though...
"
Episode 1: June 06
Episode 2: Oct 07 (1 year; 4 months)
Episode 3: ??? (1 year; 8 months and counting)

If I remember correctly, and I don't have the source handy, Valve said don't expect Episode 3 by 2010. I expect they have some massive engine update to Source that is holding episode three up.
#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Valve has been saying for a while that Episode 3 is going to be significantly longer than the first two episodes and have some all new tricks up its sleeve as it's the final part of the Half-Life 2 story arc.  Give up hope that it's coming out this year, but don't give up on Episode 3, for you will surely be making a mistake.

#11 Posted by alsnuts2 (673 posts) -

Valve just announced a new title for the new episode

Half Life 2 Episode 3 FOREVER

#12 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Really want Episode 3 now but... I will wait. I've stopped gnawing at the bit for new info now and I'm just patiently waiting while focusing my interest in other games. I still want the damn game now!

#13 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

Remember those 6 years between the first and second Half-life games? Valve likes to take its time with Half-life and we'll probably see it next year. They can have more then one project in development at one time, they're quite a big company.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

shame on them. Eli's corpse is rotting already 

#15 Posted by Baillie (4029 posts) -

Stop complaining, you'll get it and you'll be happy then.

#16 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

Episode three is a little tarnished for me; even if they put out a new one it will have to keep up with modern graphics and will therefore look entirely different than the fist two.  To me it will look too weird and disjointed and will annoy the heck out of me.  That being said I will still play it.

#17 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -
#18 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
#19 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" shame on them. Eli's corpse is rotting already  "
lol
#20 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

Please point out a situation where Valve said they aren't working on it.

#21 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
#22 Posted by Ghostin (369 posts) -

As long as they deliver (and they are among a handfull that always do) they can take as long as they like.

#23 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

I keep getting the feeling that valve are being greedy and only taking the popularity of L4D and making the sequel way to soon instead of the long awaited EP3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.