Has The Long Wait Dampend Your Enthusiasm For The Game?

#1 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10566 posts) -

Not really, but at this point, I'm thinking it's probably going to be Half-Life 3, instead of just another add-on. 

Moderator
#3 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I kinda wish they'd just come out with something. I mean Christ, what the hell else have they been working on except for Portal 2?

#4 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

Fuck no.

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10566 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" I kinda wish they'd just come out with something. I mean Christ, what the hell else have they been working on except for Portal 2? "
They made two Left 4 Dead games. Yeah, they created a new franchise, AND MADE A SEQUEL TO IT in the mean time. 
Moderator
#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" I kinda wish they'd just come out with something. I mean Christ, what the hell else have they been working on except for Portal 2? "
Uh... Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, completely overhauling Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Source Engine and getting it and Steamworks to run on the PS3, and Steam?
#7 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" I kinda wish they'd just come out with something. I mean Christ, what the hell else have they been working on except for Portal 2? "
They made two Left 4 Dead games. Yeah, they created a new franchise, AND MADE A SEQUEL TO IT in the mean time.  "
No, I mean in the last couple years. 
#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10566 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU: I would say the Left 4 Dead games came out in the "last couple years." 
Moderator
#9 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Yeah, anytime I can't recall what happened in a game I once played, my level of interest erodes.  Plus, since there's no hint of a release I've got little enthusiasm for the project.  At this point I'd need a Half-Life 3, not Half-Life 2 episode 3 to get back on board.  

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

The longer Valve takes, the more different from HL2 it is going to be. the episodes were great, but they were more of the same.

The longer Valve has been working, the more pumped I am.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU: Games released in 2008 and 2009, not to mention everything they've done with Steam and TF2 since then, doesn't count as doing anything in the past couple of years?

@PenguinDust: Then play Episode 2 again.
#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i really dont know

#13 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Episode 3 is the new Duke Nukem Forever. Ten years from now we will still be wondering when the fuck it is going to come out.

#14 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2462 posts) -

Yes. I am convinced they wrote themselves into a corner and can't think of a decent way to solve the cliffhanger with keeping Freeman silent. I certainly can't.

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
@PenguinDust: Then play Episode 2 again.
Is it fair to expect your fan-base to replay a game so that they remember what happened in it while the new game is being worked on?  I don't know about you, but I don't have enough time to replay games in order to do that.
#16 Posted by bybeach (4735 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" I kinda wish they'd just come out with something. I mean Christ, what the hell else have they been working on except for Portal 2? "
Uh... Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, completely overhauling Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Source Engine and getting it and Steamworks to run on the PS3, and Steam? "


Half of that i care little or not about, the other half is game engine and distribution. I'll be honest, I know my take  is my own problem. Left for dead team fortress, all that are primarily multi player games, and successful ones. DOTA seems to me to be more a project with them rather than a full bore endeavor. I suspect Steam and such, which is not Game developing, has Valve at work. And there they have done well. Ironically, that worries me in the Single player campaign department.

 

 Well yes Portal, but hey...that was something that almost was a surprise hit, though they did a class job with the first. I never considered it a full game.

 

I agree with Moosey on his HL3 point, I'm starting to feel it should be that, and not Episode 3 after all this time..and gawd knows it will give them the excuse or such for more episodes they can string out for years. I have sympathy, I like the franchise..as I remember it.

#17 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Hell no. With all the work they've done on the Source engine I'm more hyped than ever for EP3. Valve has a commitment to quality - it'll be done when they think it's done, and not a moment sooner.

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:
" @iAmJohn said:
@PenguinDust: Then play Episode 2 again.
Is it fair to expect your fan-base to replay a game so that they remember what happened in it while the new game is being worked on?  I don't know about you, but I don't have enough time to replay games in order to do that. "
Talking about "fair" and "corporations making entertainment products for you to buy" is all pretty relative, for one.  By that logic, you could say that since there was a three year gap between Halo games, or a four year gap between Metal Gear Solids 3 and 4, that they fucked up; no one should ever take more than two years making a sequel, that's the law!  The simple fact is, if you care about the story, there's nothing stopping you from going back and replaying a game you loved to refresh your memory on what happened except your own bullshit logic of "I NEED TO PLAY ONLY NEW GAMES OR ELSE I'M WASTING MY TIME," as if you're not already wasting your time playing video games in the first place.

For two, you're also arguing as if there's no way Valve is going to put a recap into the game itself.
#19 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Not in the slightest; the game is damn near mythological at this point, though.

#20 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I don't care anymore and I think they are going to make half life 3 instead with a new engine delaying everything until a new set of consoles. They should at least tell us that, but it might outrage alot of ppl.

#21 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm in Half-Life hibernation.  Once it's announced, I'll be happy as hell.  But until then I don't mind waiting.  Give Valve enough time and they'll blow us away guaranteed.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @iAmJohn said:
@PenguinDust: Then play Episode 2 again.
Is it fair to expect your fan-base to replay a game so that they remember what happened in it while the new game is being worked on?  I don't know about you, but I don't have enough time to replay games in order to do that. "
Talking about "fair" and "corporations making entertainment products for you to buy" is all pretty relative, for one.  By that logic, you could say that since there was a three year gap between Halo games, or a four year gap between Metal Gear Solids 3 and 4, that they fucked up; no one should ever take more than two years making a sequel, that's the law!  The simple fact is, if you care about the story, there's nothing stopping you from going back and replaying a game you loved to refresh your memory on what happened except your own bullshit logic of "I NEED TO PLAY ONLY NEW GAMES OR ELSE I'M WASTING MY TIME," as if you're not already wasting your time playing video games in the first place.

For two, you're also arguing as if there's no way Valve is going to put a recap into the game itself.
"
Well, it has been four years since episode 2 and we don't have any information on episode 3 or Half-Life 3.  I'm not saying a game a year or two years or whatever else.  But if you have a story, based on cliffhanger endings, you would do right by your consumers to continue that story as quickly as you can.  I understand they want quality.  I want quality as well.  But four years, which will lead to probably 5-6-7 years before the next installment, is to long of a wait.  Period. 

As for my time, I rarely have the time for new games let alone older games.  I never implied in my statement that 'only playing new games' was my rationale.  I just don't have enough time in my day to play a lot of games.  Since this is true, why would I want to take what little time I have to replay a game I already beat?  It certainly isn't an impossibility but the expectation of it in order to remember the story is silly.

As for Valve recapping the game up to the point of the new installment.  I never played the first Half-Life.  I started with 2.  I had to read on Wikipedia what had happened in the first game so that I could understand about Black Mesa as well as everything else.  To my knowledge and memory, I remember 2 ever explaining what happened in 1.  The events in 1 were referenced and a few things were talked about to the extent that I could infer what had happened (ex; the seven day war) but what was discussed wasn't nearly good enough for me to understand.  Based on their history, I don't see why they would recap 2, Ep. 1 and 2 for Half-Life 3.  If it is an Ep. 3 product, they might recap Ep. 2 (as they recapped Ep. 1 in Ep. 2) but I doubt the next game will be another episode.
#23 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

after i played half life 2 and it episodes, i spent some time looking for info on ep 3 and was pretty psyched, but at this point i could care less, it will be a fun game but i wont waste my time thinking about it

#24 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @PrivateIronTFU: Games released in 2008 and 2009, not to mention everything they've done with Steam and TF2 since then, doesn't count as doing anything in the past couple of years?

@PenguinDust: Then play Episode 2 again.
"
Of course it's something, but when I say 'come out with something', I'm not talking about a game. I just want some sort of announcement. Tell us whether it's going to be Half Life 2: Episode 3, or just Half Life 3, or hell, both. Just acknowledgment of its existence is enough for me. I'm more than content to play their other games while I wait for a new Half Life. I'm way too excited for Portal 2 as it is.
#25 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I didn't like the Half Life games that much so I'm not excited about episode three...

#26 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Nope. I'm there day one, no matter how long it takes.

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU: Okay, that's fair.  Knowing Valve, though, the confirmation that it's being worked on (and the hints about Episode 3 that are bound to be somewhere inside Portal 2) is probably all we'd get anyway. :P
#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @PrivateIronTFU: Okay, that's fair.  Knowing Valve, though, the confirmation that it's being worked on (and the hints about Episode 3 that are bound to be somewhere inside Portal 2) is probably all we'd get anyway. :P "
Hell, I'll take hints in Portal 2 over nothing!
#30 Edited by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

No opinion one way or the other. Half Life has a pretty middling story anyways IMO, and If I ever wanted to play a source engine shooter I'd go play Counter Strike.

#31 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" I'm in Half-Life hibernation.  Once it's announced, I'll be happy as hell.  But until then I don't mind waiting.  Give Valve enough time and they'll blow us away guaranteed. "
Yes I'm the same, once it's announced I'm sure I'll get pretty hyped for it but there's enough other big releases (even Valve ones) to keep me from getting annoyed at the lack of information on whatever Half-life based game will come next.
#32 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

If anything my probably unrealistically high expectations keep going up.

#33 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Somewhat. Sure, it would be great for the game to have been released by now, but I don't mind waiting. Valve makes quality games, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

#34 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:
The events in 1 were referenced and a few things were talked about to the extent that I could infer what had happened (ex; the seven day war) but what was discussed wasn't nearly good enough for me to understand. "
The Seven Hour War happened between Half-Life and Half-Life 2. I played both and wasn't entirely clear about it.
#35 Posted by Droop (1839 posts) -

I don't really give a crap about Half Life anymore :<

#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Not really. Mostly because Portal 2 is the best thing to come out of that universe. And now Im kinda like "just do Portal 3, HL3 can wait"

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@Infininja said:
" @JasonR86 said:
The events in 1 were referenced and a few things were talked about to the extent that I could infer what had happened (ex; the seven day war) but what was discussed wasn't nearly good enough for me to understand. "
The Seven Hour War happened between Half-Life and Half-Life 2. I played both and wasn't entirely clear about it. "
My mistake.  It's been a while since I played these games.

But I remember other things that weren't clear to me.  I didn't know about Black Mesa until I looked it up online.  There are more but I just can't remember them now since it has been so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.