how would you feel if Episode 3 was Co-op?

#1 Posted by p_p_o_d (544 posts) -

I guess at the end of the last hours of Portal 2 by Geoff Keighley Gabe or someone else from valve says that Portal 2 might be Valves last game with a "isolated single player experience".

so Episode 3 or half life 3 or whatever it is called these days.. how would you feel if they went the Resident Evil 5 Route of forced Co op and player 2 plays Alex?  

You could say its basically been offline co op in Ep 1 and 2 with Alex being by your side 70% of the time but thats still different and alot of those games have there best bits when Freeman is alone.

I dont know... I just feel optimizing the experience for 2 or more players could ruin the pacing that makes half life,  half life.

Remember playing the intro to half lfe 1 when your on the train?   now Imagine if a second player was in the train with you jumping about,  flashing a light at your character and talking in your head set ..... yeah...... kind of ruins the magic.  

Now if Valve wanted to make a sweet Half life themed online mode with Humans Vs Combine then YAY.  (I dont count HL2 deathmatch.. that seemed like a weird little weekend project for someone at valve rather then a proper mode)
Or a second Co-op campaign where we find out what Barny is up to all this time.   That would be nice but I hope they dont shoe horn co-op into the stranded campaign.  it will just ruin it for people (like me) who want to enjoy half life 2 episode 3 the same way I enjoyed the rest of the half life games.    they will say it will still be good playing by yourself but somewhere there will be traces that the game was meant to played in co-op.  

so yeah now you talk.... 
#2 Posted by Slydotcom (84 posts) -

I think i would die inside...

#3 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

On one hand, the immersion of "being" Gordon Freeman is ruined if you are the second player or the coop partner is constantly chatting about non-half life related stuff. 

On the other hand, since there would have to be a Gordan Freeman model and you would be able to see it, Valve can actually make reflections and mirrors with no excuse.

#4 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -
#5 Edited by Tebbit (4484 posts) -

Valve never shoehorns anything, so if they did make HL2 part 3 co-op, I would expect it to be as good as every other product they've ever made.

And when I say they never shoehorn anything, I intentionally exclude Steam in Half-Life 2. Because boy was that a mess!

#6 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -

At first I would go on some kind of a rampage and then once the game came out I would probably calm down when I realize Valve makes awesome games and knows what they are doing.

#7 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

it's probably safe to assume gordon will be by himself for a while. those who played ep 2 know what i mean.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7506 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks said:
At first I would go on some kind of a rampage and then once the game came out I would probably calm down when I realize Valve makes awesome games and knows what they are doing.
I'd probably even skip the initial rampage and go straight to the Valve knows what they're doing.
#9 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
@DeShawn2ks said:
I'd probably even skip the initial rampage and go straight to the Valve knows what they're doing.
Seems like the wise thing to do but wreaking shit can be fun sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.