I think Valve's got something up their sleeve

#1 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

It took Valve from 2005-2007 to make two games with  10-14 hours of gameplay. Why is it taking them two years to make just 4-5 hours of gameplay. I think that Valve is upgrading the Source engine as we speak, and they are making a Half Life 3. Episode 2 left the plot wide open. What ever killed Eli they want to hunt down. They were on their way to go save Judith Mossman. There are so many things they can do, and I think they will make another Half Life game that isn't an Episode. Why else would Valve be so secretive about it??? I think next year at E3 valve will make an announcement that they have something special planned for the Half Life series. What do you guys think.

#2 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Yeah I suspect episode three will be quite amazing, but you know they are constantly upgrading the engine right? Even episode 1 had a better, newer engine than Half Life 2. And episode 2 was quite a lot better than the original, especially when it comes to facial animation

#3 Posted by Sabious (31 posts) -

They are sure taking their time with Episode 3, but I'd like to think the wait will be worth it. It would be nice to see the use of some of the portal technology brought over from Portal and used in Episode 3, just think of the fun you could have with a portal gun and the combine soldiers. I hope we don't have to wait till E3 next year for an announcement though, I'm sure Valve probably want to get Left 4 Dead out of the way first mind you.

#4 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Yeah, I think I can agree. Probably not Half Life 3, but they are definetley brewing something up.

#5 Posted by cgrady (99 posts) -

I'm sure they just want to make this game as awesome as possible and I'm sure we won't be dissapointed.

#6 Posted by DrewBruschi (46 posts) -

Episode 3 will probably ship with portal 2 in say an "Oranger Box"? and i will bet anything that you at least see the portal gun in episode 3 cause in episode 2 they allude to Aperture Science being in some relationship with the Borialis. Also you can see the Aperture Science logo on one of the shipping crates on the video of the Borialis.

Here's a link to a Utube clip of that vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hsn8Ctqn56o

#7 Posted by efrucht (639 posts) -

They always do, don't they?

#8 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

I dont think that they will overhaul the engine will they?

The reasons that they have released the HL2 series in an episodic content distribution is so they can update the engine and make it more 'current day' graphics. The updates that they make improve the engine and therefore they showcase it in the next releases.

I think it will just be an Episode 3 and HL2 will be the last of them (meaning that it will just be episodic content from here on in.

#9 Posted by _blank (51 posts) -

Ya i think at one point they said it was only going to have 3 episodes. I personally hope you see other characters like shepard from opposing force

#10 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

i think that ep 3 will just be longer than the other two eps. There's so much they have to do, i can't imagine it only taking 4-6 hours. I also think they have to include the portal gun. I mean... if they don't, Portal is just a teaser game... that i loved to death >.>
Maybe Chell will make some sort of appearence in the game? I dunno.

#11 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

Who said Episode 3 will be 4-5 hours long?

#12 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -

I like Valve and all but all that proves to me is that Valve is slow... that's pretty much par for the course for those guys.

#13 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

I sure hope so. Nonetheless, ep 3 will be awesome.

#14 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -
lucas_kelly said:
"Who said Episode 3 will be 4-5 hours long?
"
Since the other eps were about 4-6 hours (depending on the player), it would seem like par for the course.
#15 Posted by Sinfulpotato (3 posts) -

No no no..  You are all wrong. 

Whats happening is some guy is sitting at a lone desk with only a pen, a note pad, and a lamp.  Writing down plot ideas for EP:3 and saying "no no no!" every three minutes.   The floor..  is littered with waded up pieces of paper.

#16 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

But that means that eventually, he will come up with an amazing idea, right?

#17 Posted by Jackel2072 (2237 posts) -

It seems almost serten that we are going to Apature labs for EP 3.  I really hope we get to use the Portal Gun in combat. Also i hope we meet up with GalDos as well. Maybe she will become a friend rather then foe this time around?

#18 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I think it'll involve portal technology somehow, as you are investigating the Borealis, but giving you the Portal Gun would make the game faar too easy.

#19 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I could see the portal gun being combined with some Euphoria like technology to make an even more amazing looking game. Imagine putting a portal beneath a combine, and he grabs the edge of the portal to stop himself from being sucked through...

Mmmmmmmmm

#20 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

I think that 3 will end with a major event but leaves the plot hanging. Also I think that valve want to a major enjine revamp until half life 3. But that games is at least 5 years away. I think the main question is what will valve release during that 5 years?

#21 Edited by Systech (4078 posts) -

I don't think that they'll announce it at E3, but something will hopefully come up about HL2:3 soon.

#22 Posted by Buck (148 posts) -

Valve has promised atleast make a Half Life 3 in the future, when that will be is very uncertain. Just think of how long it took for them to realese Half life 2. My guess is that in Episode 3, Gordon and friends will drive the Combine of Earth and in Half life 3 it will take place in space / another dimension / different planet. 8-)

#23 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

I suspect it will be longer than the previous two episodes, though to be honest Valve have sort of failed at the whole episodic gaming thing

#24 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Portal gun plus gravity gun=infinite win

#25 Posted by mahoney23 (13 posts) -

I just can't wait to see what happens next in the story. The ending to Episode Two left me breathless.

#26 Posted by rammaster (15 posts) -

Yeah, I agree. Eps 3 will be better than the other 2 episode and they'll probably have something up in the Borealis that is Portal related. I wish they have the Portal  Gun up there. And it will probably do something about fighting those gross worm-like Advisors based on what I've seen in the recently released concept art for Eps. 3

#27 Posted by Jackel2072 (2237 posts) -
calf_exercises said:
"I think that 3 will end with a major event but leaves the plot hanging. Also I think that valve want to a major enjine revamp until half life 3. But that games is at least 5 years away. I think the main question is what will valve release during that 5 years?"
Left 4 Dead?
#28 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Yeah, thanks for ruining it for me.

#29 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

If you got are reading the forums of Ep. 3, that's your own fault...

#30 Posted by gimpysoup (87 posts) -
maybe theyre already done but they want to release left for dead first. they might also decide to add more games as well like orange box the best $60 i have spent on a game
#31 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I haven't finished EP 2 yet, but I'm getting pretty excited.
there won't be a console version for a while I assume.

#32 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

Well someone from Valve( sorry i don't got the exact quote or site it was said on) already was quoted saying,sometime at the end of 07 "we're not saying anything as of now, but everyone should know that half life isn't going to end with episode 3, hold onto your crowbars!" or pretty much that was the quote. I would imagine HL3 would be inevitable, I mean... eventually I think they would tell us who the hell G-Man is ,don't you think? and that definitely isn't going to happen in episode 3 I'm assuming,thats reason enough to make another game.

#33 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -

You think maybe Gordon dies at the end of this one? Sacrifices himself to save the planet? After watching the end of EP: 2, my mind is filled with expectation.

#34 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -
pause422 said:
"Well someone from Valve( sorry i don't got the exact quote or site it was said on) already was quoted saying,sometime at the end of 07 "we're not saying anything as of now, but everyone should know that half life isn't going to end with episode 3, hold onto your crowbars!" or pretty much that was the quote. I would imagine HL3 would be inevitable, I mean... eventually I think they would tell us who the hell G-Man is ,don't you think? and that definitely isn't going to happen in episode 3 I'm assuming,thats reason enough to make another game.
"
I know, because of the whole "Half-Life 2: Episode __" notation business, the next entry in the series will likely be called Half-Life 3, but I remember a Valve executive saying the three expansions are an ostensible Half-Life 3.

And since some questions were nearly answered (read: Eli almost spilled the beans) in Episode Two, I think it is reasonable to assume some loose ends are going to be tied up at the end of Episode Three
#35 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

i almost hope they don't tie up every loose end. Example: Out of all the possible explanations episode 3 could give us for the g-man's role in the story, i don't think any of them could end up not sounding corny or contrived.

btw: i'm just now playing through HL1. I just beat the chapter "Gonarch's Lair." How much longer do I have until the end?

#36 Edited by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -
Thrawn said:
"i almost hope they don't tie up every loose end. Example: Out of all the possible explanations episode 3 could give us for the g-man's role in the story, i don't think any of them could end up not sounding corny or contrived.

btw: i'm just now playing through HL1. I just beat the chapter "Gonarch's Lair." How much longer do I have until the end?"
I remember the Gonarch being like, somewhere around three-quarters through the game.  Maybe a little further.  It's been a while, though, so don't quote me on that.

EDIT:  Thrawn, I'm wrong.  You're pretty close to the end.  You have two chapters left. 
#37 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

well, the next time i post i'll have beaten it. so we'll see.

#38 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Dude, the Nihalinth was a major bitch for me the first time.  Good luck.

#39 Posted by Gamer_152 (14053 posts) -

Yeah, I see a number 3 coming as well. I think they've got more to give technically and probably in other aspects (considering how long it's been since the original Half-Life 2) and I don't see the entire story being rounded up in the next episode alone. In fact even Gamespot had an entry for a predicted Half-Life 3 at one point but it has been removed.

#40 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Dude, the Nihalinth was a major bitch for me the first time.  Good luck."
god damn. "fighting" him right now.
#41 Posted by Crypto136 (118 posts) -
Jackel2072 said:
"calf_exercises said:
"I think that 3 will end with a major event but leaves the plot hanging. Also I think that valve want to a major enjine revamp until half life 3. But that games is at least 5 years away. I think the main question is what will valve release during that 5 years?"
Left 4 Dead?
"
#42 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -
#43 Posted by Jackel2072 (2237 posts) -

Something big has to happen now. Ep3 is completely shrouded in mystery Valve has gone dark on the project and is not saying anything. I hope to god though that they make the game longer. Maybe they will just end Half Life all together in this game??? yeah probably not but still something cool is going to happen.

#44 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -

Don't they always??

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.