No Halflife 2 Episode 3 for 2010

• 109 results
#1 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Joystiq is reporting that Game Informer has a source that claims that the next, and supposedly final entry in the single player Halflife campaign, will not be seeing a 2010 release. 

From CVG

Half-Life 2: Episode Three will not be released this year, despite the latest "episodic" Valve instalment having been released almost two and a half years ago.

That's according to the latest issue of US mag Game Informer, which states that there won't be any new Half-Life instalments in 2010. What's more, it's not even clear what form the next game will come in - episodic or full sequel - says the mag.

Late last year Valve's Chet Falisek visited the CVG office and when quizzed on the missing-in-action third HL2 instalment, was rather cagey.

"Until we have something we have to announce we tend not to talk about what we're working on," he said.

Will Episode Three ever come out? We've contacted Valve for comment.

From Joystiq

Now this is just demoralizing. According to a report in the rumors section of the Feb. 2010 issue of Game Informer (which doesn't name its source) there won't be "any game from the [Half-Life] franchise in 2010." As if that weren't crushing enough, the magazine says it's not even sure there will be a Half-Life 2: Episode 3, postulating that the next Gordon Freeman adventure might be Half-Life 3 proper.

Alright, listen, Half-Life: You take as long as you need, but we know you're holding Portal 2 in there somewhere. Just let GLaDOS go unharmed and you can develop until 2020 for all we care. Please, if not for us, think of the preteens waiting to record painful cover versions of "I'm Still Alive (Again)" on YouTube.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty annoyed to say the least. While I appreciate the time and effort that Valve puts into their games, I would be lying if I was annoyed to have to wait this many years for not a sequel, but for a "chunk of a full game". I guess we will all have to wait and see what form the final product will take, rumors of it being a full blown squeal sounds odd but interesting.  

#2 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

From what I've seen, this yet to be confirmed.  Definitely skeptical of this.  

I personally would be shocked if it wasn't mentioned at E3.

#3 Posted by Willin (1277 posts) -

I'd rather have Portal 2.

#4 Posted by r0k1ll (380 posts) -

The next half life game probably won't be coming soon. They may make a new engine because source is old now. I do hope it is half life 3 so it is a full game.

#5 Posted by TheHBK (5458 posts) -

This is the kind of shit that makes me glad that Sony might take the ax to Polyphony Digital.  Why are other game companies and movie companies held to strict schedules while valve developers and id developers can say, when its done.  Thats bullshit.  A publisher should not take that crap and say, I want it done by then, otherwise your on your own.  Its ridiculous, its not like they are making are.  Look at what happened with Doom 3.  When its done is not a good working attitude and unless its the Next Oblivion, which by the way was done on a schedule, it should not take so long.  Look at Rage, cool as that is, its not gonna be the most amazing game ever, the tech will be impressive but sure as hell not revolutionary.

#6 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

At this point, I really, really dont think episode 3 will ever exist. 

I do think however that they are working on their new source engine and probably far into Half Life 3.

#7 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@vidiot: one thing is that valve spent 2 years on left 4 dead, so they wasted precious time on that. also i just beat half life 2 and the episodes a month ago and can't wait for the sequal, whether its an episode or a complete sequal

but i hope something comes out half life related in 2011 while im still a senior in high school

just to add, ever since i beat half life, ive fallen in love with gordon freeman
#8 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

It does seem kind of ridiculous... I was expecting something pertaining to Half-Life at this year's E3. Guess time will tell if it's true.

#9 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

OH FUCK ME 

COME ON VALVE!!! 

well actually, this gives me more time to build a computer that can run it fast, IF it's true.  if not, then i REALLY need to start making some money!

#10 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" This is the kind of shit that makes me glad that Sony might take the ax to Polyphony Digital.  Why are other game companies and movie companies held to strict schedules while valve developers and id developers can say, when its done.  Thats bullshit.  A publisher should not take that crap and say, I want it done by then, otherwise your on your own.  Its ridiculous, its not like they are making are.  Look at what happened with Doom 3.  When its done is not a good working attitude and unless its the Next Oblivion, which by the way was done on a schedule, it should not take so long.  Look at Rage, cool as that is, its not gonna be the most amazing game ever, the tech will be impressive but sure as hell not revolutionary. "
In Valve's case they really don't answer to anyone but themselves.  As it stands they have Steam has a back-up distribution and it won't take long to sign a deal with an EA or the like to release it on shelves.

Id's case is interesting because they were the loose cannon developers since the 90's.  Now under ZeniMax, I'm curious how the work schedule changes.

I liked Doom 3 :(
#11 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

Sucks for the people that actually care about HL I guess, but get Portal 2 and a new CS out, please.

#12 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
@TheHBK: Because they are private companies.  Try again.
#13 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@Darkstar614: i was highly disapointed when they announced left 4 dead 2 at E3 instead of something else
#14 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

It took everything I got not to write the initial answer that popped in my head to that question. 

#15 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (558 posts) -

I have the feeling that the reason Episode 3 is taking so damn long is because it's going to be a full game, and not a 4-hour quickie like the other two episodes were. If this is the case, you  can probably forget about seeing it in 2011 as well. Remember how long it took between HL1 and HL2? The insane wait is annoying but you know Ep.3 will be the shit when it finally comes out.

#16 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

Man... I shudder to even imagine how long it would have taken Valve if they HADN'T done episodic content.

#17 Edited by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Little known fact: --Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Duke Nukem Forever are actually the same game.

#18 Posted by debrislide (22 posts) -

I must say. When it arrives (Half-Life ep. 3), in whatever form. It'll be the game most everyone will be playing.  Word.

#19 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

it would be pretty awsome if they have an orange box 2, which consists of half life 3, portal 2, and counter strike 2 

i would get that midnight the day it comes out

#20 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING SON OF BITCH WITH A GIANT PROBLEM OF HERPES AND CUM FILLED ARSE AND  . . . . deep breath.  . . . . . . . . I am slightly upset.

#21 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

I'd rather have Half-Life 3 now.

#22 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

There's got to be something showing at E3 this year. Whether it's news on Half-Life or Portal or some new IP, there will probably (hopefully) be something from Valve to keep us sated until it's ready.

#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

This is a marketing ploy to get people excited over its undoubted release this year. 

#24 Posted by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

I doubt there will be another Orange Box. 

#25 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i say we take over valve and become unofficial dictators, forcing them to work at a normal pace and complete their games that everybody so desperately wants

#26 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Symphony said:
Little known fact: --Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Duke Nukem Forever are actually the same game.
Ahh what an odd couple the silent Gordan Freedman and mouthy Duke Nukem will make!

Honestly, this 'news' isn't the least bit surprising to me.  Whenever Episode 3 gets shown I will be surprised.
#27 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

That's pathetic, the whole point of releasing episodes is we don't have to wait as long.

#28 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Seems I made the right choice to stop caring about Half-Life a long time ago.

#29 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was released in 2008, but it was so unbelievably awesome that it ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and erased itself from existence.

#30 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@moelarrycurly said:
" Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was released in 2008, but it was so unbelievably awesome that it ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and erased itself from existence. "
lmao, awesome dude, i love that
#31 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@moelarrycurly said:
" Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was released in 2008, but it was so unbelievably awesome that it ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and erased itself from existence. "
lmao, awesome dude, i love that
#32 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@moelarrycurly said:
"Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was released in 2008, but it was so unbelievably awesome that it ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and erased itself from existence. "

Then why am I not in the space time continuum? Please don't reply, I want to be ignorant of my lack of awesomeness.
#33 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@Feser said:
" @moelarrycurly said:
"Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was released in 2008, but it was so unbelievably awesome that it ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and erased itself from existence. "
Then why am I not in the space time continuum? Please don't reply, I want to be ignorant of my lack of awesomeness. "
lmao, 2nd awesome comment in a row, sorry everybody if im being annoying
#34 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

What's Half-Life?

#35 Posted by EternalInfinity0 (163 posts) -

Left 4 Dead 3. Let's do it.  
Half-Life fans, start your petitions. 
Critics, ready your unwarrantedly high review scores.

#36 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" Seems I made the right choice to stop caring about Half-Life a long time ago. "
I thought you stopped caring about anything a long time ago
#37 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -
@kermoosh said:
" @Feser said:
" @moelarrycurly said:
Then why am I not in the space time continuum? Please don't reply, I want to be ignorant of my lack of awesomeness. "
lmao, 2nd awesome comment in a row, sorry everybody if im being annoying "

As long as you are complementing me, it's fine.
#38 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

That's pathetic, the whole point of releasing episodes is we don't have to wait as long.

"
VALVe always do this style of guerrilla marketing.  Always.  They started with Half Life which they purposely allowed to fall off people's radars because they wanted to change/upgrade the engine and assets and they did the same with Half Life 2 claiming a hacker set them back due to a leak of content (which I can guess that they made happen or allowed to happen) because they knew they couldn't deliver on some promised content previewed a year earlier at E3.  They did the same thing when they took on CounterStrike and made a commercial product, creating a dramatic showdown between some of the original CS team and VALVe management.  And so on.... and so on...

More power to them really.  Drama and intrigue creates interest and gets/keeps people talking.  VALVe have been extremely good at marketing their products because Gabe learned these techniques from the best.  Simple as that.
#39 Posted by august (3825 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
 They started with Half Life which they purposely allowed to fall off people's radars because they wanted to change/upgrade the engine and assets and they did the same with Half Life 2 claiming a hacker set them back due to a leak of content (which I can guess that they made happen or allowed to happen) because they knew they couldn't deliver on some promised content previewed a year earlier at E3.
Oh hey, I guess you have amazing insider information then.
#40 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

I've pretty much given up at this point.

#41 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@august: 

No of course not.  I'm guessing as much as the next guy but I go on historical events.
#42 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

COCKS!!

#43 Posted by august (3825 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @august:   No of course not.  I'm guessing as much as the next guy but I go on historical events. "
In that you have a history of pulling shit out of your ass?
#44 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@august said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @august:   No of course not.  I'm guessing as much as the next guy but I go on historical events. "
In that you have a history of pulling shit out of your ass? "
I said "I can guess" and I can.  You have a problem with someone making a guess COMMANDANT?
#45 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

Argghhh, well it better be damned good, and it better not be as short as episode 2.  And its all Gabe's fault, busy partying instead of finishing the damn game!  (He's the one in the middle not working on episode 3, you can't miss him) 

#46 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

It's been too long for me to still care about Ep 3.  I think you just make Half Life 3 at this point.

#47 Posted by Luccaface (218 posts) -

If it's going to take that long, they must have something pretty ambitious planned.  The gravity gun and see-saw puzzles aren't compelling enough to carry the gameplay anymore anyway, so I don't mind the wait.  Hopefully they integrate Aperture and portal in some wild ways.  Taking out a Combine Advisor with a rocket fired through a portal = awesome sauce.

#48 Posted by august (3825 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @august said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
In that you have a history of pulling shit out of your ass? "
I said "I can guess" and I can.  You have a problem with someone making a guess COMMANDANT? "
Oh I just wanted to point out your baseless moronic conspiracy theory which apparently includes Valve trying to send a German kid to prison for "publicity."

Carry on.
#49 Posted by JJOR64 (18885 posts) -

I wonder if I'm the only guy who doesn't care about Episode 3 anymore.

#50 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Seems I made the right choice to stop caring about Half-Life a long time ago. "
I thought you stopped caring about anything a long time ago "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.