Your guess on a release date?

• 137 results
#1 Edited by Jared (546 posts) -

My guess for  the release date of this game is fall of 2009, what is yours?

#2 Posted by Atlas (2400 posts) -

Yeah I was gonna say November 09. That's plenty of time.

#3 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

yeah illsay november 09

#4 Posted by s10129107 (1164 posts) -

Christmas time 2009.  I cant wait.  I hope they take the series out with a bang!

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

I wish they brought them out sooner, that was supposed to be the whole point of episodic games. If I hd to guess it would be early 09.

#6 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

What time is "when it's done?"  I agree with everyone here, I can't imagine it not releasing in 2009, but any time before Summer is probably unrealistic. 

Although, wouldn't a November release make it a 'holiday title'?  Not sure that a Half-Life game really benefits from that approach at this point.
#7 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

November 09. Just  a gut feeling. At worst early 2010.

#8 Posted by Ideas (6 posts) -

I'll say we will see a trailer around Leipzig this year, and it won't come out until fallish to winterish 09.

#9 Posted by Conflict (76 posts) -

It's pretty ridiculous that it takes 2 years to make a 3-4 hour experience. Guess I'll go with mid-late 09 as well.

#10 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

Id say late 2009.

#11 Posted by Termite (2395 posts) -

Sometime late 2009 I'd say.

#12 Posted by Jensonb (1645 posts) -

I'm guiding conservative, Summer 2010

#13 Posted by NeoTheta (222 posts) -

Summer 2009 is my guess. Maybe that's a little soon, but come on. They're Valve. They can pull off anything.

#14 Posted by BulletPulse (183 posts) -

Summer 2009

#15 Posted by yorro (558 posts) -

Summer 09

#16 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

Summer 09 is what we'll be told and in typical Valve fashion it will be delayed till November 09 i think.

#17 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Summer 09 or Oct 09 is my guess

#18 Posted by Hilit (43 posts) -

They'll announce it for summer 09 and it will be delayed until fall 09.

#19 Posted by JibaaJabba (78 posts) -

2010 then it will be delayed to 2012 and steam will crash
You heard it here folks! <----- prediction

#20 Posted by Jackel2072 (2226 posts) -

yeah i say late 09

#21 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

mid-2010

#22 Edited by JustinNotJason (418 posts) -
Given Valves track record I would guess anywhere from Q2 2009 - Q2 2010Though I could be surprised and we could see an 08 release, though I wouldn't hold my breath.
#23 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

September '09 I'm saying.

Ryan Mac agrees.
#24 Posted by Aaox (1656 posts) -

Summer 09- Autumn (Fall) 09. 

#25 Posted by HistoryInRust (6215 posts) -

Whenever Valve is confident they have completed their masterpiece.

#26 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

They'll release it alongside the Portal successor. Q409-Q510 ?

#27 Posted by Beechbone (109 posts) -

It will probably be 20th anniversary of HL1 release date but I foolishly hope for 2009 release ;)

#28 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

I thought they said this was going to be a 2010 release?  That is what I am predicting.

#29 Posted by mracoon (4914 posts) -

I'm hoping late 09 but knowing Valve it'll probably 2010

#30 Posted by wjames811 (10 posts) -

Its on 09/09

#31 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

@Jared said:

My guess for the release date of this game is fall of 2009, what is yours?

Oh man, has it really been that long since Episode 2. Jeeez!

My guess is that Valve is going to release Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3) with a totally new engine in early 2014. The Source engine is now nearly a decade old, and even though Valve has done a fantastic job keeping it looking great I do think that it's finally time for something new. I can't see them bringing out an new engine that would be hindered by the boundaries of modern consoles. So it would make sense for them to wait until the next generation of consoles are on the market, and tweak the new engine to fit the latest hardware.

#32 Posted by AngelKore (160 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@Jared said:

My guess is that Valve is going to release Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3) with a totally new engine in early 2014. The Source engine is now nearly a decade old, and even though Valve has done a fantastic job keeping it looking great I do think that it's finally time for something new. I can't see them bringing out an new engine that would be hindered by the boundaries of modern consoles. So it would make sense for them to wait until the next generation of consoles are on the market, and tweak the new engine to fit the latest hardware.

I imagine the engine won't be too different, more or less a "Source 2.0", with a significant amount of features to warrant the extra digits. The framework on that engine is incredibly fucking solid, looking at the past 10 or so years it's been used proves that. And as much as I dislike you're opinion that they're waiting for the new consoles, you're most likely right. They have to play to the console market to get the most out of their game, but the PC-snob in me just hopes they don't fuck it up like id did for Rage. :(

#33 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

@AngelKore said:

@isomeri said:

@Jared said:

I imagine the engine won't be too different, more or less a "Source 2.0", with a significant amount of features to warrant the extra digits. The framework on that engine is incredibly fucking solid, looking at the past 10 or so years it's been used proves that. And as much as I dislike you're opinion that they're waiting for the new consoles, you're most likely right. They have to play to the console market to get the most out of their game, but the PC-snob in me just hopes they don't fuck it up like id did for Rage. :(

I do think that the next engine will be more of a leap than a step. We have to remember that Source was released before the advent of multi-core processors for example. And yes, I don't wish that Valve would plan it's future according to the console market, but they pretty much have to at this point. I've never played a Valve game on a console, it just seems wrong somehow. But I recognize that even with the powerhouse of Steam, Valve needs to release simultaneously on consoles to keep the new console customers they have acquired.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (6351 posts) -

#35 Posted by Village_Guy (2405 posts) -

Ha, this thread is great. All these guesses from years back that aren't anywhere near what the actual release date will be. If it ever will be released that is.

August, 2014

#36 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Ha, this thread is great. All these guesses from years back that aren't anywhere near what the actual release date will be. If it ever will be released that is.

August, 2014

I agree with how great this thread is. We should keep taking guesses until the day it gets released (assuming it doesn't get cancelled).

October 2013 is my guess.

#37 Posted by Pink_o_mat (199 posts) -

They will release it August 2012!

No press release, no preview, one day it will just show up on Steam. And then the Internet crashes!

#38 Posted by Cheesebob (1211 posts) -

November 2012!

#39 Posted by Codeacious (957 posts) -
@Pink_o_mat

They will release it August 2012!

No press release, no preview, one day it will just show up on Steam. And then the Internet crashes!

The best part would be how well it would sell simply from word of mouth, if Valve did this.
#40 Posted by Swoxx (2980 posts) -

Haha, blast from the past. Good stuff.

I don't think we're ever getting it.

#41 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

At first I didn't read the timestamps and I thought everyone was being super sarcastic.

I'd be surprised if it will ever be released, honestly.

#42 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Herocide said:

At first I didn't read the timestamps and I thought everyone was being super sarcastic.

I'd be surprised if it will ever be released, honestly.

the fact that this thread is almost 4 years old is pretty sad.

#43 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -

DAH! Whoops.

#44 Posted by superpow (226 posts) -

HA!

#45 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

@superpow said:

HA!

We were all young and naive. We didnt know any better!

#46 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

People are hilarious. Oh dear

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

I didn't realise just HOW long it's been before this thread. Expecting it to come fall 09? MAN.

This thread is ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD.

#48 Posted by ApeGantz (216 posts) -

The accurate year is 20XX

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -
#50 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@Pibo47: I think that is super hilarious, especially since you have a detox pic as your profile pic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.