Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Eight Years Later, Half-Life 2 Pirate/Hacker Repents

• 76 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By mordukai

" Can I get something to eat before we leave?" asked Gembe.

"No problem," said one of the policemen."

Aww...what a nice police officer.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Jayross

Yeah... I wonder what would have happened if he was able to get to Valve's offices and the FBI trap.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By linkster7

Good read.
    Remember sitting at friends house trying out the source code, there was a lot of HL2 hype at that time. Seemed so unreal that we actually had it.
    Weird reading the cause and thinking about the effect it had on my life on the other side of the world.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By TheHT

'You are being charged with hacking into Valve Corporation's network, stealing the videogame Half-Life 2, leaking it onto the internet and causing damages in excess of $250 million, came the reply. "Get dressed.'

We were living in the fucking future.
    neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By neozeke
    @blueduck: To give you a straight up answer, I believe that you only payed for the "licence" to use the console, you don't actually "own" it. 
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#56  Edited By Siphillis
    @Toms115 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Toms115 said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" i wasnt a gamer when that happened..  did HL2 not sell well ? "
    yeah they sold like three copies "
    no seriously   Edit: aight i looked it up and saw it sold well.. nevermind "
    oh, you're serious.  yeah it sold a shit ton. "
    Most estimates are between 8 - 20 million units, including The Orange Box and digital sales.  So yeah, HL2 is more popular than COD.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Siphillis
    @neozeke said:
    " @blueduck: To give you a straight up answer, I believe that you only payed for the "licence" to use the console, you don't actually "own" it.  "
    I don't believe that's the case.  By purchasing a PlayStation 3, I am availed to do what I wish to the actual device, so long as it doesn't involve altering what doesn't belong to me in the agreement (games, PSN), and as long as my activities remain private.  By similar logic, if I buy Valkyria Chronicles, I am just as free to hack it as I am to actually play it, so long as I don't make my activities public, or infrige on SEGA's rights to sell the game to others.  If I were to pirate the game, however, I am forbidden to do either, since I never purchased it. 

It's tricky, metaphysical bullshit.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By cornbredx

That's not entirely what happened.

He actually contacted Valve about getting a job citing his ability to steal their code. Thats how they caught him, he was arrested the next day or something i believe.

I know quite a bit about this story as he was part of an infamous Counter Strike Griefing team that used to hack CS games ALL THE TIME.

He was a punk kid and I hope he has repented as he was smart and he should use his knowledge for making money, helping society, and not being stupid.

It'd be cool though- if its true and he has repented (i'm sure he probably did, he was pretty young when he got caught and that can be pretty life changing for even a dumb kid) then he could become successful at real life networking security setups. Assuming he still studies and is allowed to touch a computer.

And yes, I read the article. It's slanted in Gembe (or however you spell his name) direction suggesting he wasnt really at fault for what he did. "He just did it because he loves Half Life."

Ya, maybe. But he was also a prick and this article tries to pretend otherwise. I still remember differently.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By cjmabry

Dang, that was a great article.  

And lol - 

" I wonder what we would find if someone leaked the source code for Half Life 2 : Episode 3. 
    ...probably just an empty file with one comment - 

//game goes here eventually."

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By RobotHamster

You know that the security around Half LIfe 3/episode 3 is probably incredibly intense after this, and think what would happen to whoever tries to steal it...

No Caption Provided
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#61  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've never really read in depth what happened with the HL2 source code link. Now that I know... so? It's clear that in the long run not much damage was done, Half Life 2 went on to sell like a billion copies and be revered in a way I have trouble understanding, German guy cleaned up his life but is probably still an internet hacker person, and Valve is still incapable of putting out games in any sort of reasonable time frame.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By august
    @TheHT said:

"

'You are being charged with hacking into Valve Corporation's network, stealing the videogame Half-Life 2, leaking it onto the internet and causing damages in excess of $250 million, came the reply. "Get dressed.'

We were living in the fucking future. "

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By neozeke
    @Siphillis: ah is that so? I know some companies have some bullshit were you're only "renting" the device, I assumed Sony was the same, my bad. 
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Siphillis
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I've never really read in depth what happened with the HL2 source code link. Now that I know... so? It's clear that in the long run not much damage was done, Half Life 2 went on to sell like a billion copies and be revered in a way I have trouble understanding, German guy cleaned up his life but is probably still an internet hacker person, and Valve is still incapable of putting out games in any sort of reasonable time frame. "
    It was a landmark piracy case, in which a game was stolen (not leaked or copied) a year before it hit shelves, from another continent.  It was also one of the most heavily pirated games of all time, with estimates of over 3-5 million copies.  Valve had to delay production of the game for months, shake down staff members, and re-purpose Steam as a DRM service instead of content delivery.  Much of the anti-piracy movement on the PC today stems from this incident.

As for why Half-Life 2 is so revered, send me a PM if you want me to go into detail.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Siphillis
    @Mordukai said:
    "

" Can I get something to eat before we leave?" asked Gembe.

"No problem," said one of the policemen."

Aww...what a nice police officer. "
    That part killed the moment.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By august
    @Siphillis said:
    " @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I've never really read in depth what happened with the HL2 source code link. Now that I know... so? It's clear that in the long run not much damage was done, Half Life 2 went on to sell like a billion copies and be revered in a way I have trouble understanding, German guy cleaned up his life but is probably still an internet hacker person, and Valve is still incapable of putting out games in any sort of reasonable time frame. "
    It was a landmark piracy case, in which a game was stolen (not leaked or copied) a year before it hit shelves, from another continent.  It was also one of the most heavily pirated games of all time, with estimates of over 3-5 million copies.  Valve had to delay production of the game for months, shake down staff members, and re-purpose Steam as a DRM service instead of content delivery.  Much of the anti-piracy movement on the PC today stems from this incident. As for why Half-Life 2 is so revered, send me a PM if you want me to go into detail. "
    Valve also wasn't the billion-dollar juggernaut it is now. They were probably already in the red developing HL2, then they had to stop and rewrite portions of their code to prevent exploits, plus the theft revealed they were way behind already which was a major PR boondoggle. They hadn't released a game (that they developed themselves) since 1998, If hl2 hadn't been huge despite the massive delay and Steam hadn't taken off the company probably would have been well and truly fucked.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Siphillis said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Toms115 said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

Most estimates are between 8 - 20 million units, including The Orange Box and digital sales.  So yeah, HL2 is more popular than COD. "
    didnt cod sell well over 20 mil ?
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#68  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I know a friend of mine who is a ''pirate''. He's that pirate that downloads movies, so he's not a hacker. 

Im not a pirate though, buy games and movies legally :) When this came out on the internet (the article) i was shocked that someone could hack something like that. Half Life 2 is one of my favourite games.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By JCTango
    @Siphillis said:
    " For those of you pining for more "investigative" gaming journalism, Eurogamer posted a fascinating read detailing the infamous Half-Life 2 heist that took place in late 2003.  The story is told from both Valve's (through founder Gabe Newell) and Alex Gembe's, the young German hacker who has since been relieved of probation, perspective. 

Wow, that was a cool story to read about!
    It was like something out of a data espionage movie.

Nice to see that he turned his life around though.
    Sanity_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Sanity_Crash
    @mnzy:

i don't know man.. you can do a lot of damage with a keyboard :)
    Sanity_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Sanity_Crash
    @phantomzxro said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @blueduck said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @blueduck said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @MrRedwine said:
    " @blueduck:   No, you should not.  If you buy a BMW and then go on the road at 110 MPH, you are "doing what you want with something you bought", but we can all see this is not legal, not safe, and may be harmful to yourself and others.  The argument that you buying something gives you the right to do anything you want with it is bogus.  I can think of a million examples.  Buy alcohol and give it to minors, buy a gun and shoot at random cars, buy a taser and shock neighborhood animals... need I go on? "
    Apologies, but that is a horrible analogy.  What you're saying is more akin to buying a PS3 and using it to beat someone to death with.  A better analogy would be opening the hood of your BMW and being able to put whatever engine you want in it.  "
    See once again you've made another poor analogy! The law doesn't want you putting crazy engines in because you again could hurt someone ( now whether you agree with that is a different story) at least that's the logic they made the law with. How could you ever hurt someone with a jail broken ps3? "
    that's what the pirates want you to think. "
    Ha, yeah I know thank god for Sony because at the end of the day I know it has my properties best interests in mind! "
    SONY: striking fear into those bastards who want do shit with the things that they bought.   what a bunch of fucking heroes. "
    I don't think anybody is in any kind of clear right or wrong here. I don't support Geohotz on this battle because i see nothing good coming out of this for gamers. All i see if Sony wins they  fine the butt off geohotz and goes back to normal while piracy continues. Or Geohotz wins and Sony puts some crazy DRM program on the system. In both cases gamers will suffer and Geohotz started this. "

Thank you, this is exactly my concern with this whole issue.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Siphillis
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Siphillis said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Toms115 said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

Most estimates are between 8 - 20 million units, including The Orange Box and digital sales.  So yeah, HL2 is more popular than COD. "
    didnt cod sell well over 20 mil ? "
    COD 4 sold 13 million, while MW2 has estimates around 20 million units.   HL2 numbers will increase while MW2 has pretty much stalled after Black Ops.  Unfortunately, Steam does not tally digital sales.  That said, MW2 has been sold for nearly full price for only two years, while HL2 has been bundled and discounted for 7 years.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#73  Edited By RelentlessKnight

didn't Gabe tricked the hacker by offering him a job at Valve but when he arrived in US jurisdiction, the authorities arrested him? Or is it another hacker who hacked Half-life 2 and also made a image of Alyx naked or is it, Axel's side of the story?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By LiquidPrince

Interesting read.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JCTango
    @RelentlessKnight said:
    " didn't Gabe tricked the hacker by offering him a job at Valve but when he arrived in US jurisdiction, the authorities arrested him? Or is it another hacker who hacked Half-life 2 and also made a image of Alyx naked or is it, Axel's side of the story? "
    The article says he tricked him into confessing through a phone call about getting him a job.  When the authorities heard the confession they made their move.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @jams said:
    " @blueduck said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @blueduck said:
    " See once again you've made another poor analogy! The law doesn't want you putting crazy engines in because you again could hurt someone ( now whether you agree with that is a different story) at least that's the logic they made the law with. How could you ever hurt someone with a jail broken ps3? "
    Fair enough, it wasn't worded quite correctly.  I didn't mean that you're able to stick a jet engine in your car and drive it on the street, just that you as a consumer have certain rights when it comes to a car that you own. "
    Yes, but you still failed to prove your point with it. Your right is to do with your property as you please, it's America BRO. If it becomes at safety issue then a law will be passed to stop it. Also I am not attacking Sony's right to ban people from the Playstation network but I am saying they should stfu if I want to jail break my stuff. Also to be fair you can do whatever you want with your own car you just can't take it on public streets! "
    the hacked playstation firmware update being the dangerous car and the public road being the internet where other people (Sony and it's workers) can get hurt. Sound pretty similar to me. "
    Sure it does.  In Bizarro World.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.