Half-Life 2 Hits Steam on Mac Tomorrow

• 73 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

As expected, Half-Life 2 will indeed be making its way to the Macintosh. What I--and more than a few other surprised industry dudes--didn't expect though, is how soon we'll be able to play it via Steam on Mac. According to a radical video put out by developer Valve this afternoon, the Freeman will be playable at some point tomorrow, and as Shacknews has learned, this release will include both downloadable episodes to the game: Episode One and Episode Two.

The video below is what I'm talking about. It's a fantastic digital recreation of Ridley Scott's infamous 1984 Macintosh commercial. In it, you'll see Half-Life 2's female lead, Alyx (instead of Anja Major), throw a crowbar (instead of a sledgehammer) into a towering screen with Breen's mug projected onto it. The words "Game ownership is no longer dictated by platform" and "Free Yourself" flash beforehand as Alyx makes her run from the guards to a nice, vomit-free hurling spot. Check it out!

All developers should announce their games like this, by the way. Make it happen, every-developer-in-the-world. Make it happen.

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

As expected, Half-Life 2 will indeed be making its way to the Macintosh. What I--and more than a few other surprised industry dudes--didn't expect though, is how soon we'll be able to play it via Steam on Mac. According to a radical video put out by developer Valve this afternoon, the Freeman will be playable at some point tomorrow, and as Shacknews has learned, this release will include both downloadable episodes to the game: Episode One and Episode Two.

The video below is what I'm talking about. It's a fantastic digital recreation of Ridley Scott's infamous 1984 Macintosh commercial. In it, you'll see Half-Life 2's female lead, Alyx (instead of Anja Major), throw a crowbar (instead of a sledgehammer) into a towering screen with Breen's mug projected onto it. The words "Game ownership is no longer dictated by platform" and "Free Yourself" flash beforehand as Alyx makes her run from the guards to a nice, vomit-free hurling spot. Check it out!

All developers should announce their games like this, by the way. Make it happen, every-developer-in-the-world. Make it happen.

#2 Edited by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -
Still no ep 3? :(
#3 Posted by Marconi88 (97 posts) -

I can finally play this game with a mouse and keyboard.

#4 Posted by PistolPackinPoet (211 posts) -

guessnot

#5 Posted by Thevamp25 (234 posts) -

i see what they did there...

#6 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

is that only hl2 or all hl2 source based mods too?  I need l4d2 and ill be golden.

#7 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

I love that they are re-releasing HL2 for the 3rd... wait, no, 4th time before even having finished Episode 3.

#8 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

Dude wtf, AWESOME COMMERCIAL.

#9 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

free?

#10 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

"Game ownership is no longer dictated by platform.  And we're still not going to fucking update the 360 version of TF2 like we promised." 

#11 Posted by Paulrus (244 posts) -

Good, but I'm still waiting for TF2 on the Mac.

#12 Posted by Superfriend (1584 posts) -

Wow, this is really amazing. This old commercial though... put in a modern context it kinda makes sense. But the other way around.

#13 Posted by TheMikelGuereca (102 posts) -

I wonder if Steam Achievements are making an appearance? That would make me play Half-Life 2 again!

#14 Edited by ZmillA (2286 posts) -

so cool, love HL universe (post HL1)

#15 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
"  "Game ownership is no longer dictated by platform.  And we're still not going to fucking update the 360 version of TF2 like we promised."  "
they probably want to wait until they're done with the engineer update; if I recall, devs only get on free release per platform.
#16 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

Sounds great! Been looking for some more quality games on Steam for Mac.

#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Still no ep 3? :( "
Yeah... no... ;(
#18 Posted by Daveyo520 (6993 posts) -

it's not like I own it on PC and Xbox already.
#19 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Wheres my TF2?

#20 Posted by EvanFavreau (73 posts) -

Cool video. Can't wait until I can get my new Macbook and start enjoying Steam.

#21 Posted by psoplayer (240 posts) -
@Paulrus said:
" Good, but I'm still waiting for TF2 on the Mac. "
Yeah, Half-life doesn't quite have the same replay value. ;)
#22 Posted by Etan (35 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" Wheres my TF2? "
It would make no sense for them to release everything they have at once. First of all I'm sure it would suck to be trying to fix the bugs in all of their games at once. Then there's also the fact that they want as much publicity as possible for steam on the mac, so it would make no sense to release all the games at once.
#23 Posted by samsaturday (91 posts) -

I've played HL2 on both the original Xbox, then again on the 360. And I still just might try it out Mac. Just because.

#24 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

great video, though it seems like something that is creatable in Garry's Mod

#25 Posted by august (3864 posts) -
@Etan said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" Wheres my TF2? "
It would make no sense for them to release everything they have at once. First of all I'm sure it would suck to be trying to fix the bugs in all of their games at once. Then there's also the fact that they want as much publicity as possible for steam on the mac, so it would make no sense to release all the games at once. "
Agreed.
#26 Posted by MeatSim (10938 posts) -

It's 2004 all over again.

#27 Posted by virtorio (252 posts) -

And 5 / 26 / 2010 is what in Valve time?

#28 Posted by ShooterJoseph (93 posts) -

Sweet ad for it. =P  But yeah, still waiting for tf2! :D

#29 Edited by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

I ALREADY PLAYED IT LIKE 70 TIMES 
this is nice, but i want tf2

fuck i might just reinstall windows.

also, genius video.

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9979 posts) -

That's "soon" as in "six years later".

#31 Edited by spiceninja (3068 posts) -

Now that it's on Mac maybe they'll add Steam achievements to it now. It has friggin' achievements in the Orange Box on 360. How hard can it be to take those and just put them into the PC version? It's frustrating.

#32 Posted by Stackboy (515 posts) -

I think this is my new favourite video game video thing.

#33 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Why is Valve giving us all the games no one wants to play/ has played 100 times?

Give us L4D2 and TF2 already!

#34 Posted by ISmoochyI (251 posts) -

so stoked

#35 Posted by Derios (423 posts) -

Omar's a strollin! Man is that show good.

#36 Posted by PillClinton (3293 posts) -

leave it to Valve to make the best trailer in existence.

#37 Posted by Tyrax (33 posts) -

So... its three fingers and swipe toward the right on the magic mouse to change weapons right? Ah forget this, I am going back to the original xbox release of Half-life 2
#38 Posted by Blitzer (394 posts) -

Ahh poor Mac users. Still playing games 10 years behind us. lol

#39 Posted by Nasar7 (2789 posts) -

Is this news? Who cares?

#40 Posted by Branthog (5596 posts) -

Sorry if I don't get all excited about a six year old game coming to my Mac.

#41 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@virtorio:  5/26/2010  Between 10-3pm PST.
#42 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12102 posts) -

Uh huh. I already played and beat Half Life 2 when it was part of the Orange Box 3 years ago. I'm sure that the people who played and beat it when it came out 6 years ago care a bunch too.

#44 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (810 posts) -
@Branthog: 
Old = bad
Is that what you're telling me?
#45 Posted by Deathpooky (1443 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" http://gamejournos.tumblr.com/  Great, you've ruined GBs perfect record.  "
I note that A) the article has been changed from what the tumblr quotes, presumably to save embarrassment from the obviously pretty bad line and B) the first two sentences don't really fit together now that the first one has been changed.  Good job all around.
#46 Posted by Zanthox (239 posts) -

that ad is so epic.

#47 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Yes I'll install it.
No I'm not excited.
Still have Orange Box cheevos to work on.

#48 Posted by stewjaynes (2 posts) -
#49 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Lol playing games on a mac megalolzllzozozloolz a bike lolz

#50 Edited by MachoFantastico (4884 posts) -

Should I? Shouldn't I? Oh what the hell.  

Where's my Episode three Valve? 

Amazing games, some of the best ever. Hold up well aswell. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.