Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

The original Half-Life 2, Orange Box-Sourcified.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

One of the biggest issues when The Orange Box came out on 360 is that Valve themselves updated both Half-Life 2 and Episode One with the package's build of the Source Engine which featured the apparent visual upgrades like HDR and motion blur. Everyone including PC Orange Box users had to deal with a regular release version of Half-Life 2 which for me was very disappointing and shameful at Valve for not trying to make it possible.

Someone recently actually made a mod which features the upgrades of The Orange Box build of the Source engine. It also includes achievements but here I come to question a couple of things. This is illegal in a sense (modder added HDR to the copyrighted maps) but will this be something to motivate Valve to make a longing legit upgrade. What will happen to the achievements because I have my Steam account linked here?

TAKE CAUTION!!!!!!

If you are willing to try it, here you go before something happens.

Article on Joystiq

Link to Steam forum with download links (and mirrors in the following pages)
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Downloading now. I always wondered why Valve didn't update the PC version also.

edit: eugh... 1.5 gigs. Grabbing the torrent from gameupdates.org. Only one seeder and 40 leaches. :\

It's been up since new years eve and is still unlocked. I think if Valve was gonna say something, they would have by now, a week later.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

People that know what they are doing, if a game is modable at all, whether its graphics or not have done it themselves. I don't know what you mean by illegal. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever.

Also, this has already been done with a mod before with the CinematicMod, and it looks better than these updates by a mile as well.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @pause422 said:
    " People that know what they are doing, if a game is modable at all, whether its graphics or not have done it themselves. I don't know what you mean by illegal. There is nothing wrong with this whatsoever. "
    Well the dude has to modify the maps to put HDR and might have violated copyright but whatever.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Looks way better with that extra hdr lighting.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By artofwar420

The only thing that feels "illegal" to me is the achievements thing.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @pause422 said:

"  http://www.cinematicmod.com/   This mod right here is 1000 times better than what this guy did. I really don't even know why this is news. "

To be honest, I can't run that. I don't have a Crysis comp and this mod is more or a recreation of the Source engine build used for the Xbox 360 version as opposed to being a high res visual and audible upgrade like FakeFactory's stuff.

EDIT: I looked at the 10th build and it does feature the Orange Box Source build but the issue of actually running it is still in place.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "  http://www.cinematicmod.com/   This mod right here is 1000 times better than what this guy did. I really don't even know why this is news. "
    To be honest, I can't run that. I don't have a Crysis comp and this mod is more or a recreation of the Source engine build used for the Xbox 360 version as opposed to being a high res visual and audible upgrade like FakeFactory's stuff. "
    Yeah that's understandable. I'm just a little surprised that this is news since its been done before. I get that though, since they just updating minor things to the EP2 look already and making it look better, obviously that would be your choice to go for. The CinematicMod though is very flexible, it easily states what computers can handle which version and what not, so its not just for "Crysis computers", but I understand where you're coming from.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @pause422 said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @pause422 said:
    To be honest, I can't run that. I don't have a Crysis comp and this mod is more or a recreation of the Source engine build used for the Xbox 360 version as opposed to being a high res visual and audible upgrade like FakeFactory's stuff. "
    Yeah that's understandable. I'm just a little surprised that this is news since its been done before. I get that though, since they just updating minor things to the EP2 look already and making it look better, obviously that would be your choice to go for. The CinematicMod though is very flexible, it easily states what computers can handle which version and what not, so its not just for "Crysis computers", but I understand where you're coming from. "
    10th version features all the stuff on the Orange Box build. I would want the very new look by FakeFactory but my computer is unfortunately years behind but it can run the Source engine's specifics just fine (motion blur, flashlight dynamic lighting, etc). This mod is the most playable solution for me. When looking at this one for a bit, it's sort of saying that Valve was lazy and too distracted from their then future projects after saying that they would update this game.
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

" @pause422 said:

" @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @pause422 said:
    Yeah that's understandable. I'm just a little surprised that this is news since its been done before. I get that though, since they just updating minor things to the EP2 look already and making it look better, obviously that would be your choice to go for. The CinematicMod though is very flexible, it easily states what computers can handle which version and what not, so its not just for "Crysis computers", but I understand where you're coming from. "
    10th version features all the stuff on the Orange Box build. I would want the very new look by FakeFactory but my computer is unfortunately years behind but it can run the Source engine's specifics just fine (motion blur, flashlight dynamic lighting, etc). This mod is the most playable solution for me. When looking at this one for a bit, it's sort of saying that Valve was lazy and too distracted from their then future projects after saying that they would update this game. "
    He released a lite version as well:
    http://www.cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php Scroll down, it's the last one on the list. There's a few bugs with the one you linked on the steam forums but this one is final and bug free.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Suicidal_SNiper said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut said:

" @pause422 said:

" @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @pause422 said:
    10th version features all the stuff on the Orange Box build. I would want the very new look by FakeFactory but my computer is unfortunately years behind but it can run the Source engine's specifics just fine (motion blur, flashlight dynamic lighting, etc). This mod is the most playable solution for me. When looking at this one for a bit, it's sort of saying that Valve was lazy and too distracted from their then future projects after saying that they would update this game. "
    He released a lite version as well:
    http://www.cinematicmod.com/cm_10.php Scroll down, it's the last one on the list. There's a few bugs with the one you linked on the steam forums but this one is final and bug free. "
    HD textures...
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock
    @pause422 said:
    I wish I could run that. I'm on a 32 bit version of Windows and 3 gigs of ram though. :(
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

I'd rather have the vortigaunt laser me than kamehameha me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    @rjayb89: Why? They already have the Spirit Bomb. Kamehameha rounds it off well.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89
    @MrKlorox:
    No Caption Provided
    In all seriousness, that certain part of that update was odd.  I mean, why'd they change it to balls of light being shot into you than some lasery thing.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox
    @rjayb89:  Agreed. It's not as much of a direct port as the thread implies.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @MrKlorox said:

" @rjayb89:  Agreed. It's not as much of a direct port as the thread implies. "

Probably some of the resources came from Episode Two. Look at the Vorti skin comparison.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ThePhantomnaut said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @rjayb89:  Agreed. It's not as much of a direct port as the thread implies. "

Probably some of the resources came from Episode Two. Look at the Vorti skin comparison. "
    And Alyx's eyes. They're shaped slightly differently.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Slippy

I prefer the way it looked before. It has subtlety rather than BLOOM! GOD RAYS! IN YOUR FAAAAACCCEEEE!!!

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crystalskull2

What is illegal about it?There's many mod for Stalker and even a new mod for dues ex was released a few days ago.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Who knows?  Maybe it uses assets that aren't owned by VALVe?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Hamz

It is tricky legal stuff but my very basic understanding of it is the use of assets (read: code, programming etc) from one game to another is not allowed. Visual assets included.

Either way I think it is fair to say Valve are aware of this mod and it is still around so if they were against it, they would have pulled the trigger by now. Just when really great mods like this that do things on a much grander scale are released there is always worries as to the legality of them.

I gotta say I prefer this to FakeFactory's cinematic mod. FF's stuff is good and all but something about it always seemed pretentious and too demanding on the system requirements.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Not only that but the models for main characters were just wrong.  As nice as it may be to want Alex to model in swimwear, totally replacing her with Adrianna Lima was just going to far imho.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By mracoon

I didn't mind too much that they didn't update the graphics because they still look decent even to this day, especially the facial animations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.