Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life: Counter-Strike

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 08, 2000

Originally created as a modification of the original Half-Life, Counter-Strike has since become its own franchise, setting new standards in online team-based shooters, and was at one point the single most-played online game in the world with a huge competitive following.

Will there ever be an online FPS that is better than CS?

• 74 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I've been playing CS since 2000 and made the move to CSS in 2004 because I personally thought it was an improvement and people only say it is easier because they play against noobs, if you play against experienced CS players then suddenly it becomes much harder.

Anyways Online FPS games have come and gone and yet nothing has ever been better than CS and made me want to play that instead. Theres just something about CS that makes you really have to work for your kills and it feels satisfying. I find the feedback from CS to be really amazing too because in most FPS you don't know if you hit your target but CS you instantly know somehow. Other FPS games like BF2 and COD just feel all floaty to me and I just can't stand them.

I've been wanting a new online FPS experience for years now but every time something comes out it just never is as good and I fear the only thing that will be better is when Valve make CS2 which is probably 5 years away.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Moon

I agree CS is great. It is the greatest competitive fps available, I'm sure someday there will be a better game. Maybe Counter Strike 2?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

This entire topic is just subjective as hell, to you, you obviously haven't played any recent online FPS that you find better than it or on the same level, I agree CS was great and I still go back and play it sometimes as well, but I've enjoyed plenty of online FPS just as fun/better than CS entirely. TF2 I have a ton of fun with, cod4 I still play sometimes, L4D isn't your traditional fps pvp, but the versus mode in it is hell of a lot of fun imo.

While I agree that Valve takes forever to get things made, its been said that possibly when HL2 episode 3 comes out, they could actually have a  CS2 in that next <insert color here> Box they release.Maybe Hl2episode 3, CS2, Portal 2, or something along those lines. Of course nothing is set in stone at all, but I think it is a bit closer than 5 years off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aslong as they don't stick vehicles in it to ruin the close combat gameplay and they don't remake dust2 because I'm sick of that map lol you just know if they put that map in CS2 that it would be all that people play.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ish

COD4 is already more popular.

Just check how many hours of COD4 is played per day compared to CS:S

And it's just as pro. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeh but COD4 sucks, It just feels floaty.

Also it's only more popular because it is newer and had lots of marketing around it. Counter Strike is 9 years old and has no marketing and CSS is over 4 years old and has none.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Moon
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Yeh but COD4 sucks, It just feels floaty.

Also it's only more popular because it is newer and had lots of marketing around it. Counter Strike is 9 years old and has no marketing and CSS is over 4 years old and has none."
    Counter strike also started with a budget of 0$ as a mod. I never liked cod4 because all the skills I learned in counter strike are useless because the game is too balance. (except for cooked grenades.)
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

let's face it if someone told you different you'd just rage and flame so goodbye

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Moon

Halo 3 slipped my mind I actually think its as good or better than counter strike source.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played Halo 3 multiplayer because I tried Single Player but man controlling an FPS without a mouse and keyboard is impossible and I found the camera movement to be too slow.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ish
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Yeh but COD4 sucks, It just feels floaty.

Also it's only more popular because it is newer and had lots of marketing around it. Counter Strike is 9 years old and has no marketing and CSS is over 4 years old and has none."

Bullcrap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfT4A5fql_0

And also, ultimately irrelevent. COD4 does not get any advertisement time anymore, and it is growing, besides that, there are other games that are minimally advertised and get more hours played into them, (Call of Duty 2, Silk Road, etc). 

It seems like you don't care about trying anything other than Counter-Strike, so you shouldn't ask for other people's opinions. Especially when your response towards a suggestion is "it sucks, feels floaty".

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Never played Halo 3 multiplayer because I tried Single Player but man controlling an FPS without a mouse and keyboard is impossible and I found the camera movement to be too slow."
    one word: pausesettingsgamecontrolslooksensitivity

duh...

And halo 3 hardly focuses on aiming whatsoever... more so cunning like grenade trapping flanking and using the weapons available tp exploit whatever weapon your opponent has weaknesses and on at higher levels team strategy... because a team that uses atrategy can simply make a team that doesn't use strategy giveup and quit within the first 2 minutes.

and plus it's the best game evar (MP wise at least)
    HelixSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HelixSnake

Halo 3 is okay, it gets really boring quick, though. I'd give TF2 a shot; plenty of people seem to really enjoy it, and I've always really enjoyed the few times I've sat down and played it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "Halo 3 is okay, it gets really boring quick, though. I'd give TF2 a shot; plenty of people seem to really enjoy it, and I've always really enjoyed the few times I've sat down and played it."
    halo 3 is most played game on xbox live after a year and 3 months......

yeah it gets boring REEEEEEAL quick
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK
    HelixSnake said:
    "Halo 3 is okay, it gets really boring quick, though. I'd give TF2 a shot; plenty of people seem to really enjoy it, and I've always really enjoyed the few times I've sat down and played it."

yeah it gets boring REEEEEEAL quick
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Aslong as they don't stick vehicles in it to ruin the close combat gameplay and they don't remake dust2 because I'm sick of that map lol you just know if they put that map in CS2 that it would be all that people play."
    Valve wouldn't do something like stick vehicles in it, I can guarantee that. Also, to him and plenty of other people ANY single game can get boring quick, or need to be played a little here, then break and played some more. The same way I would agree WoW got boring for me after less than a month, but near 12million people are playing today, obviously we just disagree.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Pepsiman

I hear that, in the future, Daikatana will be hot stuff. I mean, with John Romero behind it and all, surely nothing about it could go wrong. Why, there's an ad for it just egging you on to play that game unless you want your self-esteem to plummet, so clearly it's going to be awesome.

It isn't considered great now merely because people have played it the wrong way for years on end, but mark my words, once people figure out how to work around the failures, it'll definitely top CounterStrike in every respect. I smell a comeback, folks!
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Manachild
    Pepsiman said:
    "I hear that, in the future, Daikatana will be hot stuff. I mean, with John Romero behind it and all, surely nothing about it could go wrong. I mean, there's an ad for it just egging you on to play that game unless you want your self-esteem to plummet, so clearly it's going to be awesome.
    It isn't considered great now merely because people have played it the wrong way for years on end, but mark my words, once people figure out how to work around the failures, it'll definitely top CounterStrike in every respect. I smell a comeback folks!
    "
    its like the velvet underground of video games.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

Unless you have played CS, Natural Selection AND Day of Defeat (Pre-source), you're in no position to crown anyone king of online FPS.

CS, NS and DoD, if you ask me, are about equal in quality, with different focal points each. But if I had to choose a #1, I'd pick NS without hesitation.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Teh_Eel

CS is more of a serious online fps, well balanced and a more difficult game than say Halo 3. However, I always felt that Halo 3 was just as fun as its differnet, and arcade like with recharge able shield and power ups. Like other people have suggested maybe try TF 2 or theres a mod called Insurgency for half life 2, its quite realalistic and in the same vien as CS.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Rowr
    PapaLazarou said:
    "I've been playing CS since 2000 and made the move to CSS in 2004 because I personally thought it was an improvement and people only say it is easier because they play against noobs, if you play against experienced CS players then suddenly it becomes much harder.

Anyways Online FPS games have come and gone and yet nothing has ever been better than CS and made me want to play that instead. Theres just something about CS that makes you really have to work for your kills and it feels satisfying. I find the feedback from CS to be really amazing too because in most FPS you don't know if you hit your target but CS you instantly know somehow. Other FPS games like BF2 and COD just feel all floaty to me and I just can't stand them.

I've been wanting a new online FPS experience for years now but every time something comes out it just never is as good and I fear the only thing that will be better is when Valve make CS2 which is probably 5 years away."
    sounds like you are to used to cs, and arent willing to adjust to anything which isnt cs.

So the answer is no.

For you, there will never be a better fps than cs.

Im already sure cs2 will be a massive dissapointment for you.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By Pepsiman
    Rowr said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "I've been playing CS since 2000 and made the move to CSS in 2004 because I personally thought it was an improvement and people only say it is easier because they play against noobs, if you play against experienced CS players then suddenly it becomes much harder.

I've been wanting a new online FPS experience for years now but every time something comes out it just never is as good and I fear the only thing that will be better is when Valve make CS2 which is probably 5 years away."
    sounds like you are to used to cs, and arent willing to adjust to anything which isnt cs.

So the answer is no.

Im already sure cs2 will be a massive dissapointment for you."
    Unless it runs on the Daikatana engine. Then you know it'll exceed everyone's expectations!
    Clearly I'm a serious endorser for such an underdog!
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422
    Meowayne said:
    "Unless you have played CS, Natural Selection AND Day of Defeat (Pre-source), you're in no position to crown anyone king of online FPS.

CS, NS and DoD, if you ask me, are about equal in quality, with different focal points each. But if I had to choose a #1, I'd pick NS without hesitation.
    "
    To him it is the king of FPS. It's pretty obvious qwhen someone makes a topic in a forum like this they mean to them, that is the best game they've played. He isn't crowning it king of everything in general, nor does he need everyone to agree. As Rowr said, if he finds cs so perfect, and nothing comes close to it for whichever specific reasons, it will be pretty impossible for any other game to stand up to it. I think just having a bit of an open mind and try some other great mp games, it would sure help.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By xruntime
    Rowr said:

So the answer is no.

Exactly. He just doesn't like anything that isn't CS. 

There are numerous PC FPS games that have rivaled CS:

+ Battlefield 2 
    + Team Fortress 2
    + Call of Duty 4
    + Wolfenstein ET
    + Halo Combat Evolved
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By mracoon

CS is too hardcore for me. I prefer TF2.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422
    xruntime said:
    "Rowr said:

So the answer is no.

Exactly. He just doesn't like anything that isn't CS. 

There are numerous PC FPS games that have rivaled CS:

+ Battlefield 2 
    + Team Fortress 2
    + Call of Duty 4
    + Wolfenstein ET
    + Halo Combat Evolved
    "
    I'll agree with most of that and add ET Quake Wars, but Halo isn't even close. It's never even been as good as it is  on console when they port it to PC. Halo 2's port was even worse.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xruntime

Halo PC is excellent. Many PC gamers don't like it because it's one of the most publicized series for the Xbox. But the port is great, and it was very successful. It's still like the 6th most played PC multiplayer game. 

Halo 2's port was bad, true. But Halo 1 was great. It ran without any problems, had extra content, and low system requirements.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
    crunchUK said:
    "let's face it if someone told you different you'd just rage and flame so goodbye"

Agreed.....

crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

yeah it gets boring REEEEEEAL quick"

...but I thought Call of Duty 4 was the most played game on Xbox Live. Anyway, this topic is entirely subjective and to treat it otherwise is stupid.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Endogene

Counter strike is than not that game where every body plays that one desert map and the goal is to go the rush the same patch every time to the enemy hoping you get to shoot first?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
    BiggerBomb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

...but I thought Call of Duty 4 was the most played game on Xbox Live. Anyway, this topic is entirely subjective and to treat it otherwise is stupid."
    It was, than I think they released a new map pack and Halo 3 made a comeback. But yeah, this is in the PC forum, so to take it seriously would be a waste of everybody's time.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Kazona

The only online FPS that really struck the right cord with me is CoD 4. So in my own personal opinion, it's far better than CS.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Endogene said:
    "Counter strike is than not that game where every body plays that one desert map and the goal is to go the rush the same patch every time to the enemy hoping you get to shoot first?"

Yes.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkgoth678

Yeah I agree with others, you need to give other FPS's a shot and play them substatialy and them come and tell us that there is nothing better than CS. In my opinion, CoD4 is up there with CSS and CS because i think it is just as good. 

again, like others have said, and that is why most of my friends got bored of CS, it is way too repetitive, one starts the game and goes to the same 2 spots in Dust2 and kills or gets kill again and again, at least in CoD4, the game atmostphere changes from time to time as the maps are made with more entry points and more...depth to the levels than just enter here and exit here. 

Also not to mention CoD4's awesome RPG-like element of a leveling system and weapons upgrade system. This adds so much replayability to the game its not even funny, unlike in CSS or CS, CoD4 makes u work for your guns and perks instead of just pressing the "B" key to enter the buy menu. to add to that, like 360 games get added play time because of achievements, challenges in CoD4 do the same by giving you something more to work for. 

guess what it comes down to is that CS is really only skill. and I feel that makes it two dimensional, where as CoD4 is also based on some skill but not as much, and it is offset by a third dimension which is the leveling up, the achievements, the great maps, the UAV, airstrikes and choppers. In my opinion this makes CoD4 a better game.

ok i wont be 1 sided, I will say that I also like TF2, and man that is fun and thhat gives me the same joy of CS and CoD4 put together because they are starting to inplements an RPG element but the class system makes it for me. so if u want something in the middle just try out TF2.
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xruntime
    Endogene said:
    "Counter strike is than not that game where every body plays that one desert map and the goal is to go the rush the same patch every time to the enemy hoping you get to shoot first?"
    Yepp, that's the game. You do the same exact thing 20 times in repetition. There's no learning curve, there's nothing to learn besides the maps. You just have to be able to aim and shoot faster, that's all it comes down to. 
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK
    HandsomeDead said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

...but I thought Call of Duty 4 was the most played game on Xbox Live. Anyway, this topic is entirely subjective and to treat it otherwise is stupid."
    It was, than I think they released a new map pack and Halo 3 made a comeback. But yeah, this is in the PC forum, so to take it seriously would be a waste of everybody's time."
    they released cold storage in june and the legendary maps several months before THAT.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Jayge_

I suppose that it is part of a sub-genre completely unrelated to CSS besides the fact that both have guns, but I consider Unreal Tournament 2004 to be the greatest online FPS I've ever played.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK
    xruntime said:
    "Endogene said:
    Yepp, that's the game. You do the same exact thing 20 times in repetition. There's no learning curve, there's nothing to learn besides the maps. You just have to be able to aim and shoot faster, that's all it comes down to. "
    thats obviously why it's so popular
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
    xruntime said:
    "Endogene said:
    Yepp, that's the game. You do the same exact thing 20 times in repetition. There's no learning curve, there's nothing to learn besides the maps. You just have to be able to aim and shoot faster, that's all it comes down to. "
    thats obviously why it's so popular
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Megalon

For me it's a toss up between CS and TFC. Those are the only games that I can consistently come back to and play for hours on end. Sure I played CoD4 for 6 months straight, and it was great fun, but I'm burnt out on it now. The first game I went back to was CS, so I guess for me it's up there as the best "serious" online FPS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowr said:
    "PapaLazarou said:

So the answer is no.

It isn't CS but just how Valve makes an FPS because I love the feeling of playing TF2 and L4D and all their classic games. I dunno how they get the feedback feeling of killing someone so rigth but they just do it so well and make it feel satisfying. When I'm playing COD4 it feels all floaty and killing other people just doesn't make you feel good like CS does. I had the same floaty feel with BF2 and quake Wars and Halo...... they just feel wrong like when you shoot someone it just feels like you're hitting mid air though you got a kill and with CS you just get that feedback that you killed them.

I just think Valve create FPS games that are far superior to anyone else.

It's hard to explain but in most other FPS games but Unreal Tournament your character feels all floaty and like he has no weight to him and the hitboxes just feel all off like you ain't even shooting anything.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darkgoth678
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Rowr said:

"It's hard to explain but in most other FPS games but Unreal Tournament your character feels all floaty and like he has no weight to him and the hitboxes just feel all off like you ain't even shooting anything."

Yeah I see what ur saying, 
    You feel like you're a flating turret than an actual person. I get that feeling a lot with some old shooter but developers are getting better at giving the player that sense of self. Halo 3 did it some what by when you jump and look down, you can see your legs and feet. I think so far Crysis and Far Cry 2 do the best job at this.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

On the pc?  I'd say probably, but it's not announced.  COD4 is pretty fun, but that went by. 

On consoles, I'd say Halo is better.
    That being said, some people do prefer TF2 to CSS due to the style of play. I disagree, but I can see why they think that way.

HandsomeDead said:

"BiggerBomb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

It was, than I think they released a new map pack and Halo 3 made a comeback. But yeah, this is in the PC forum, so to take it seriously would be a waste of everybody's time."

No, not really.  What happened was people were done with COD4.  The map packs came after it regained.  Halo 3 is constantly changing and really, it doesn't get old.  COD4 just feels like the same thing over and over, Halo has more variety and the individual matches play out much differently.   That being said, this is a topic about the pc and this is worthless to discuss
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crunchUK
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "On the pc?  I'd say probably, but it's not announced.  COD4 is pretty fun, but that went by. 

On consoles, I'd say Halo is better.
    That being said, some people do prefer TF2 to CSS due to the style of play. I disagree, but I can see why they think that way.

HandsomeDead said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

No, not really.  What happened was people were done with COD4.  The map packs came after it regained.  Halo 3 is constantly changing and really, it doesn't get old.  COD4 just feels like the same thing over and over, Halo has more variety and the individual matches play out much differently.   That being said, this is a topic about the pc and this is worthless to discuss"
    not to mention cod5 took away quite a bit of cod4s audience
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Counter Strike was good in it's day and age, but shooters have evolved so much since then, that I don't think I can go back. I have great memories of that game, and if I go back I'll ruin them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheJollyRajah said:
    "Counter Strike was good in it's day and age, but shooters have evolved so much since then, that I don't think I can go back. I have great memories of that game, and if I go back I'll ruin them."

Nothing has tried to touch on what CS has done though it isn't like Goldeneye where it hasn't aged well but CS is timeless. It has only stayed that way because nothing has attempted to make a move on the kinda gameplay CS offers where as Goldeneye was a generic Death Match.
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    crunchUK said:
    "HelixSnake said:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/12/30/live-activity-for-week-of-december-22nd.aspx
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, have you ever played Halo 2? If the matchmaking wasn't so unbelievably slow, I might still be playing it. The last time I tried, it was taking like 10 minutes to load each match, so my friend and I just played some custom games and remembered the good old days.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By coakroach

I personally hate CS
    Best multiplayer shooters out in my opinion are TF2 for teamwork or Cod4 for mindless frags

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Meowayne

TF matches can be won without teamwork. CS matches can be won without teamwork. Both games are too heavily influenced by the hardcore players. If you're a great teamplayer but don't feel like spending months to perfect your skillz, CS in most cases is nothing for you. That's why I regard CS as not-so-perfect as other people do.

Natural Selection has a role and mode for everybody. If you don't feel like teamwork, join the Alien team. If you're in the mind for strategy, become Commander. If you just want to show off or improve your shot, get a few rounds of combat in. Whether you're one of the guys who quickly become emotional over such games, or whether you're just in it for a few minutes of fun, whether you're communicative or not, whether you're good at defense, offense, strategy or all of them - There's always something fun and entertaining to do in Natural Selection.
    Plus, the NS community is refreshingly free of kiddos. What's going on in the voice and text channels during public games is surprisingly calm, mature and entertaining.
    That's why I regard NS as the best online FPS. And it should run on almost every system.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Absurd

Counter Strike 2 (I hope)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.