half life source for pc or half life for the ps2??

#1 Posted by killawogg (222 posts) -

ok i finished half life 2 and all the episodes from the orange box and i loved it now i want to go back and play the first half life, so i bought the ps2 version to try and get some back story but it just doesnt feel right? im thinking about buy half life source game version off of steam since its pretty cheap and i was wondering if it would be worth it or should i just stick to the ps2 version that i also got real cheap?
 am i missing out on anything from the first game if i just continue with the ps2 version?

thanks everyone

#2 Posted by BionicIguana (137 posts) -

Mouse and keyboard

#3 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -
BionicIguana said:
"Mouse and keyboard"
This, exactly this.
#4 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1733 posts) -

I've never tried source, but Half-life should be played with a mouse and keyboard. It's the only way it feels right.

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -

Yeah I beat Half Life 2 first also, and I tried it for the ps2 and it feels like a fake version : P
Go get the Pc version you won`t be dissapointed.

#6 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Dont buy Source, buy the original.
Quite glitchy, but still an excellent game.

#7 Posted by Rowr (5239 posts) -

You want the pc version.

Playing valve games on anything else is second rate.

#8 Posted by Termite (2395 posts) -

The PC is the home for Valve games, so I say go get HL: Source

#9 Posted by krazedkaoz (71 posts) -

its crap on the ps2.

#10 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

dont get source - its naff compared to the original - original hl all the way

#11 Posted by Shasam (468 posts) -

PS2 version?!? Please...

#12 Posted by killawogg (222 posts) -

all right then mouse and keyboard ftw, thanks everyone

#13 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1473 posts) -

I'm playing through HL (PS2) right now and I'm loving it.  It has the "High-Def" character models and I love using console controllers for FPSs (although I'd rather have the 360 controller with its concave triggers).  I know I'm in the minority when I say that, but I really dislike the (admittedly, more accurate) mouse and keyboard setup.  Also of note,  you get the two player Decay expansion on the PS2 disc.

Whatever you choose, you're golden because the game is amazing. 

#14 Posted by dankempster (2229 posts) -
RenegadeSaint said:
"I'm playing through HL (PS2) right now and I'm loving it.  It has the "High-Def" character models and I love using console controllers for FPSs (although I'd rather have the 360 controller with its concave triggers).  I know I'm in the minority when I say that, but I really dislike the (admittedly, more accurate) mouse and keyboard setup.  Also of note,  you get the two player Decay expansion on the PS2 disc.

Whatever you choose, you're golden because the game is amazing. "
Pretty much everything said above. I also played through Half-Life on PS2 and really enjoyed it. I don't understand how people can say it's crap on PS2 when it's the exact same game. The only thing that's really different is the controls, and the PS2 version supports mouse and keyboard peripherals, I believe. Like RenegadeSaint says, whichever way you choose to play HL, you're going to have an awesome experience with a fantastic game.
#15 Posted by killawogg (222 posts) -

for sure i loved playing half life 2 and its episodes from the orange box and i cant wait for episode 3 but i just wanted some back story to this amazing game, hmm so i guess it really what you want  to play then

#16 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

I would go with the original Half-Life and not the Source version.

#17 Posted by Hewkii (190 posts) -
OmegaPirate said:
"dont get source - its naff compared to the original - original hl all the way"
better yet, get this.
#18 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -
Hewkii said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"dont get source - its naff compared to the original - original hl all the way"
better yet, get this."
I bought half life 1 at staples brand new for 3$ which comes with TF1 also, haha awesome deal.
#19 Edited by Absurd (2934 posts) -
Bucketdeth said:
"Hewkii said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"dont get source - its naff compared to the original - original hl all the way"
better yet, get this."
I bought half life 1 at staples brand new for 3$ which comes with TF1 also, haha awesome deal."
About good deals: I used my dad's serial code that came with his graphics card a year or two back and It gave me like 15 games: all source games, all half life engine games :P
#20 Posted by jkmetal (95 posts) -
killawogg said:
"ok i finished half life 2 and all the episodes from the orange box and i loved it now i want to go back and play the first half life, so i bought the ps2 version to try and get some back story but it just doesnt feel right? im thinking about buy half life source game version off of steam since its pretty cheap and i was wondering if it would be worth it or should i just stick to the ps2 version that i also got real cheap?
 am i missing out on anything from the first game if i just continue with the ps2 version?

thanks everyone"
Both. I've played half life on the computer and ps2.
Interestingly enough the ps2  version has co-op. Which is actually a lot of fun.
#21 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -

I played HL on my brothers PS2 and it was awful.  Get it on the PC and get the original one not source.  You might want to consider getting Opposing Force and Blue Shift (high def weapons pack is available as a separate free download) as well.

#22 Posted by 4D (97 posts) -
BionicIguana said:
"Mouse and keyboard"
Mouse and keyboard is on the ps2 version
#23 Posted by vash47 (20 posts) -

If you're playing a Valve game, there is no way you'd want to try it on a plataform other than the PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.