Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

I'm Still Excited for Half-life 3

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 12

Edited By Halomaste19

It's become one of the more annoying running jokes of the internet. A site posts a teaser for an unknown game, or someone reports that a developer is tweeting out cryptic hints. Then, like clockwork, someone comments "Half-Life 3 confirmed". Or comes up with some crazy equation that eventually equals "Half-Life 3". But as annoying as the running joke is, their is a reason it exists.

No Caption Provided

October 10, 2007. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is released, after some delays. The game receives lots of praise, and immediately people began to wonder when will we get some info about the next episode. Those people, including myself, continue to wait. What makes the wait worse is that it seemed like Episode 3 wasn't too far away. Developer commentary in Episode 2 talked about Episode 3, and how some elements from that game found there way into the 2nd episode.Then in 2008 Doug Lombardi was talking about how Valve would probably have information about the game "later that year". Later that year came and went, with no info from Valve.

Some concept art leaked not long after that, and there were even some talks of a non-Valve Episode 4, but then in late 2009-early 2010, all info stopped. Valve stopped talking about Episode 3. Gabe Newell before every interview started saying "No questions about Half-Life 3". He knows how desperate people are for information. So why are people so desperate for this game?

No Caption Provided

I can't speak for others, but I can explain why I am still SO excited to play more Half-Life. For starters lets talk about how Half-Life 2 Episode 2 ends. Spoiler warning, for those who haven't played Episode 2 yet.

At the end of Episode 2, after you and Alex go through hell trying to get to White Forrest, then defend the base and the rocket it has inside of it you talk to Eli, your friend and Alex's father. He talks a bit about the G-man, the first time a character in the series had ever really done so. He warns you about the Borealis a lost ship, and says it needs to be destroyed. After that he promises that he will tell you more soon, after the rocket launches. After a successful launch, the rocket closes the super-portal, which stops the Combine from bringing reinforcements. Alex fixes up an old helicopter and you are ready to fly to the Borealis. But suddenly, a powerful enemy alien crashes in and kills Eli. Luckily, Alex and you are saved, but the game fades to black as Alex cries holding her father.

That is the definition of a cliffhanger. But, after that emotional gut punch fans were left with waiting...and are still waiting. A big reason I want Half Life 3 is because I want to see what happens after that cliffhanger, to continue or even end Gordon Freeman's long journey. Sure, he will probably save the world, but how that happens is still a very intriguing question that I would love to have answered. Besides, I don't want the final moments of the Half-Life series to be the death of Eli, that's sad. It feels like a horrible way to end this series.

But besides wrapping up the story, I also want a Half-Life 3 because I want to see what Valve does next. People seem to forget how influential and innovative Half-Life 2 was when it was released. Going back to Half-Life 2 after playing games for the last 10 years, it truly shows you how important Half-Life 2 is not just for shooters, but for games in general. Sure, if you didn't play it when the game was originally released in 2004, you might not get what all the fuss is about.

No Caption Provided

But at the time, that game blew my mind. Graphically it made Half-Life 1 look like a broken N64 game. The environments and the atmosphere were at times haunting. Other times they were lonely. Driving up the coastal Highway 17 is still one of my favorite moments in gaming. Sound design and level design combine to create an amazing experience. It felt like I was all alone on a desolate, long road. Sometimes I would drive by a house sitting on the edge of a cliff. I'd pull my buggy over and walk around the house, find a dead man, a tire swing with actual physics, a locked cellar with a headcrab zombie inside. Did the man outside, the dead man, know this person? Why were they here? For me at least, Half-Life 2 is FILLED with Stories and moments like that. But it also was filled with action and satisfying gun-play.

No Caption Provided

Then there's the engine that Half-Life 2 was built in. Source. It powers so many great games like the Left 4 Dead series, Portal, DoTA2 and even the upcoming Titanfall. Its a flexible and powerful engine that for the last decade has made Valve lots of money. But it's also allowed smaller studios or single developers to create tons of fun and well made mods, like Insurgency, Dear Esther, The Stanely Parable, Gmod and more all use the Source engine. And lets not forget that one of the most played PC games of all time, Counter-Strike, started as a mod based on the original Half-Life.

Point is that when it comes to moving games forward or giving creative people the tools to make amazing games, Valve is one of the best companies out there. So imagine what Source 2 could do. What Valve could do now that consoles are more powerful. Remember the Source engine is 10 years old, and in those 10 years look at how much more powerful and easy to use PC gaming has become. Hell, look at how tablets and smartphones have become powerful mini computers that we carry with us everywhere. I'm excited to see what Valve could do with more powerful hardware and more experience making games. I'm excited to see what Half-Life 3 looks like in this day and age.

I know, 7 years of waiting and rumors is not good. Look at Duke Nukem Forever, or actually maybe don't look at it. Whenever games take this long to make it usually leads to a shitty game or a canceled game. But there have been a few times when long, delayed development led to amazing games. The two that come to my mind is Half-Life 2's 5 1/2 year development and Team Fortress 2's nearly 8 year development cycle. Both, as you probably know, were developed by Valve and both were released to praise both from fans and critics. Valve has a track record of making people wait, Valve time as its usually referred to. But they also have a near perfect record of making great games.

No Caption Provided

So, I'll wait. And I know I'm not alone in waiting. Waiting for that day that Valve finally brings us more Half-Life. Will the next game have Oculus Rift support, or maybe it will finally just combine the Portal and Half-Life series, seeing as they exist in the same universe. Who knows what Valve has planned, they seem to being going in so many directions these days. From Steam box to SteamOS, DoTA 2 and TF2, free to play, that rumored space game, the Steam Controller, Steam itself and more, Valve is a busy company these days.

I just hope that deep inside that studio, someone is animating a Source 2 crowbar swing. That maybe Gabe Newell is playing an alpha build of Half Life 3, giving some notes to some designers. That Laidlaw is emailing them his latest script. I just hope that Valve hasn't forgotten about old Gordon Freeman. I know I haven't, and if the jokes on the internet are any indication, it seems no one else has either.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

sigh, don't get me started on my own personal love and pain for this.

But I will say this.... just compare Half Life 2 character designs to Episode's 3's Dr Magnusson. There's a massive leap in tech in just less then 3 years. And then compare to Left 4 Dead 2's model beside the always audorable and expressive Alyx Vance..... I can't blame them for waiting out for new tech.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Hopefully tech wise, we are at a point were Valve can finally release or finish Half Life 3. I really hope so.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I replayed Episode 2 a while back to get a feel for it again. It was a mistake - it reawakened those same WTF feels that came right at the end.

I'm convinced Valve painted themselves into a corner by overpromising a bad-ass trilogy, realizing they didn't have the time, resources or writers to fulfill it and as time inevitably raised the stakes and expectations they've abandoned all hope of ever making Episode 3 or 3 in general. It seems weird that Half-Life will simply die due to a shift in resources towards Steam and all that implies, but it seems to be more and more the case. Maybe they'll get their act together and bang it out in a few years, but it seems like they're simply uninterested in breaking their winning streak with an inevitable failure of expectation.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replayed Episode 2 a while back to get a feel for it again. It was a mistake - it reawakened those same WTF feels that came right at the end.

I'm convinced Valve painted themselves into a corner by overpromising a bad-ass trilogy, realizing they didn't have the time, resources or writers to fulfill it and as time inevitably raised the stakes and expectations they've abandoned all hope of ever making Episode 3 or 3 in general. It seems weird that Half-Life will simply die due to a shift in resources towards Steam and all that implies, but it seems to be more and more the case. Maybe they'll get their act together and bang it out in a few years, but it seems like they're simply uninterested in breaking their winning streak with an inevitable failure of expectation.

Valve has said they are working on Half Life 3 for awhile now.....

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Almost makes me wonder if Valve should have let Arkane make that Episode 4 thingy, could have been a nice game to have, to help us wait. And maybe, it would have lead to Arkane taking over the Half Life series, with Valve guiding them.

Who knows, but I agree that Valve might be feeling the pressure.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ezekiel

I never was excited for it. I'll care when it's near or when they show something. @ch3burashka: Personally, I liked Half-Life 2 better than the episodes, so I don't think surpassing their "streak" is an impossible feat.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fengshuigod: Yeah when I saw that Source 2 powerpoint slide, I got excited. Hopefully this is the year Valve just brings it. Announce L4D3, release a trailer for HL3 or actually release it, maybe a TF2 overhaul nextgen port. Im excited..and ready to be disappointed.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel:I prefer Half Life 2 over episode one, but episode 2 for me was amazing. I love that game. I go back and play it every year..lol, really enjoy how that game is paced and the world you get to explore. But Im one of those crazy people who love Blue Shift and has played through Lost Coast more then a few times..

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kee hee hee. That shit's still being made. Fucking, I'll buy it when it comes out, sure. (Really)

(Walks away. Kee hee... *smirk*)

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Halomaste19

@blu3v3nom07: Guys...I think..I think he's lying..

*squints eyes,tilts head,nods slowly*

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ch3burashka

@ch3burashka said:

You meant to say they've been lying about making HL3 for a while now...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

feels bad saying that isn't it.

But it's not only that, a lot of those rants coming out of former employees talking about the whole clique nature of Valve's development teams probably made it worst to really stay focus onto anything. But then it's an interesting development if you compare something like EA or Microsoft and how they loose focus.

The thing with Half Life that valve can get away with is basically they could just end it like they did with HL1 and those expansions where "Gman comes, makes an offer and then off to a new character in an Xfiles 90s style ambiguity." Portal seems to be taking a lot of cues of that. And as each year goes by those stakes keep getting raised and raised. Because if you REALLY WANT TO SEE the Borealis it's in the HL2 alpha leak in 2003. Even Eli's death was leaked in an early update.

So yeah it's being worked on. Just as each year passes on the stakes get raised and raised. So there's always less and less pressure just making something new, split up into a team of 6 make a new Ricochoet on source 2.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    @halomaste19 said:

@blu3v3nom07: Guys...I think..I think he's lying..

*squints eyes,tilts head,nods slowly*

No Caption Provided

Oralé, holmes. Just as long as it comes out on XONE, its good with me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

This wait really makes me glad I never played past the beginning of episode 1. I don't have to experience any disappointment for a game I don't have any meaningful anticipation for. When it does come out I can still have fun just like everyone else.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got bored of the half life 3 confirmed jokes quickly because I have no interest in this game and never will. I played Episode 2 a bit on the orange box and honestly I didn;t think it was great

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

From the Half Life 2 art book Raising the Bar. It's actually a simple frame for animators to learn how to do this. I actually learned the same technique from a lead animator on the 2000 Grinch film (I had no idea they used Brown screen for that film). It's modest because this was probably 2000 when this was done, scanning tech was still very early. The Left 4 Dead models are interesting, because if you look at them they don't emote as well as the HL2 models. Because the HL2 models still have a cartoonie look at them, L4D models are running super fast and you capture their likeness for a second. Well it's enough for me to notice Bill in the Tommy Hilfigure ads. Just would be weird if they went all super real in HL3, especially with characters you trust so well.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Source 2, source 2

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Halomaste19
    Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercutio123:Hmm, I loved the hell out of that game. Genuinely curious as to why you don't like it? Not that your wrong, its your opinion, just curious to hear a different opinion.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I thoroughly enjoyed Half-Life 2 and its episodes, and I played them several times on the Orange Box.

But at this point I just don't really care. I'm sure something will awaken in me when they actually fucking announce it and they actually give us some solid details, but until then I'll go on not caring.

Avatar image for christinebeachytiki
    christinebeachytiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be 45 years old this year, I've played a lot of games and I'm still playing, and maybe it's because of my age but no game has ever come close to the excitement I feel when I hear about a potential Portal and Half-Life 3 game. Please Valve, before I get too old or die let me finally play a Portal and Half-Life 3 game!

Jackentrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

before I get too old or die let me finally play a Portal and Half-Life 3 game!

I dunno whether to "lmao!" or "..jesus!"

christinebeachytiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christinebeachytiki said:

before I get too old or die let me finally play a Portal and Half-Life 3 game!

I dunno whether to "lmao!" or "..jesus!"

Why? Your comment is very vague. I have been waiting a long time to play HL3, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I can't stare at a screen for hours like I used to. My hands cramp now after playing for less than an hour, and after sitting at a computer for more than an hour I will pay for it with back pain that night. I'd like to play a Portal HL3 game while I can still enjoy it. I've loved the game for years since it came out. I don't understand your comment or are you just trying to be mean?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How hard is it for Valve to simply say "we currently have no plans to continue this frachise"? Than all this can end mercifully, for the love of god just end this already.

I want a conclusion to episode 2 as much as anyone, but by Valve stringing along so many diehard fans is pretty messed up. Way more messed up than not making a new game at all in my opinion.

If they prefer looking at sales figures grow on spreadsheets than great! Good for them! I'm happy they are so successful with Steam, but please Valve please have some decency and provide some fucking closure.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brendan

@christinebeachytiki: You comments make it seem like playing this game is your one sad hope in an ailing life soon to be extinguished by the throes of time. He probably thinks that you may want to attach something more meaningful to your ultimate happiness before forever leaving this world.

We know you're probably just being a little hyperbolic ;)

christinebeachytiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course I am being a little hyperbolic but sadly when you get older very few things give you an adrenaline rush like when you were young so you tend to really cherish the few things that do, for me it's playing Half-Life and Portal, among other favorites.

I'm a little sensitive about it anyway because other people my age give me a hard time about being a gamer at my age. They think it's perfectly acceptable to be insulting about it and act like I'm some kind of loser. I tell them at least when I'm staring at the screen I'm being interactive not just sitting there like a zombie staring at a TV!

If you think I'm sounding pathetic let me tell you about my father who loves Half-Life more than me. He has an account on Steam, his office is decorated with Half-Life stuff and he's 64 years old! He's always asking me if I've heard any news on HL3. It breaks my heart that he has lots of medical issues and may never ever get to play HL3. When my 9 year old son and I visit him we play Half-life on 3 separate computers though the LAN router thing for hours on end running around killing each other. I never see him so happy and excited as when we play together. He's scheduled to have carpal tunnel surgery soon and cataract surgery, I hope he will heal well and still be able to play okay. I know it makes him happy and my son thinks he's the coolest grandpa ever.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By anywhereilay

As others have said, I'm not getting excited about it until some info is released. It's hard to get excited about pure speculation. That being said, I didn't finish episode 2 (as I played them one after another and got burned out a bit) so maybe I benefit from no real cliffhanger ending.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I will be excited about it until it is released. Especially because of the connections with Portal / 2. That said, I'm not spending my days thinking about it constantly, but I will freak the fuck out when there is some sort of information.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really pains me to say this, but I've found that I no longer really hold the Half-Life series in high regard. I remember back when I first saw Half-Life 2. I remember that was what spurred me into wanting to build my own PC, one that could actually run Half-Life 2. It wasn't until a few years later I finally had the resources to do that. I thought the game was incredible, truly incredible, and when Episode 2 ended on that cliffhanger I was incredibly excited until we reach this day and age. Now, just having gone back and replayed HL2, I'm having a hard time seeing why I held it in such high regard. I have a hard time finding anything that I really liked about it, I like some of the enemy design but that's about it. It kind of bums me out, but it also is kind of relieving. I no longer have to do this little tap dance every time someone brings up Half-Life 3, because I just don't care any more.

Which is probably good, because I've reached the point where I honestly believe Half-Life 3 will never happen. Valve has changed so much since HL2 was released, the stuff they've done since then has been so vastly improved. Portal and Left 4 Dead are two incredible franchises that did some incredible things. Team Fortress 2 continues to be insanely popular. And thanks to Steam pulling in all that money, it's well known that Valve has no problem scraping something long in development, Half-Life included.

Would I complain if Half-Life 3 was announced? No, not at all, it would be fascinating to see if nothing else. But I'm not going to be heartbroken if it never comes to fruition and they just focus on making newer better franchises.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VierasTalo

If you think I'm sounding pathetic let me tell you about my father who loves Half-Life more than me. He has an account on Steam, his office is decorated with Half-Life stuff and he's 64 years old! He's always asking me if I've heard any news on HL3. It breaks my heart that he has lots of medical issues and may never ever get to play HL3. When my 9 year old son and I visit him we play Half-life on 3 separate computers though the LAN router thing for hours on end running around killing each other. I never see him so happy and excited as when we play together. He's scheduled to have carpal tunnel surgery soon and cataract surgery, I hope he will heal well and still be able to play okay. I know it makes him happy and my son thinks he's the coolest grandpa ever.

Awww. I hope everything goes well.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They should release an HD remake of the complete series for PS4 & Xbox One before they release HL:3. It would build excitement and renew interest in the series. It would also give people a chance (like myself) who have never played them a reason to be excited for the next instalment.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll never happen. I don't think Valve is a game company in the same way anymore. TF2 and Dota 2 make them so much money, not to mention Steam in general. Nowadays I imagine Valve and Newell are focused on Valve as a service, rather than a traditional developer.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will play the shit out of a new half life game when it comes out, and I'm fine with waiting.

Also, I think its silly that people say something along the lines of "fuck valve. too little too late. I wont play it even if they do make it". Like, what? That's such a unnecessarily hostile attitude to have towards a company for not milking a property and wanting to do right by it.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By KaneRobot

@narujoe93 said:

I will play the shit out of a new half life game when it comes out, and I'm fine with waiting.

Also, I think its silly that people say something along the lines of "fuck valve. too little too late. I wont play it even if they do make it". Like, what? That's such a unnecessarily hostile attitude to have towards a company for not milking a property and wanting to do right by it.

There's a happy medium between "waiting to do right by it" and what Valve is doing.

The wrong way = Guitar Hero series

The other wrong way = Half-Life 3

Take your time. Heck, take longer than what people think "your time" should be tp get it right. But don't take so long that your game turns into nothing more than a fucking punchline. By the time (or if) HL3 actually comes out, I would not be shocked at all if it takes longer than DNF did.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93 said:

There's a happy medium between "waiting to do right by it" and what Valve is doing.

Take your time. Heck, take longer than what people think "your time" should be tp get it right. But don't take so long that your game turns into nothing more than a fucking punchline. By the time (or if) HL3 actually comes out, I would not be shocked at all if it takes longer than DNF did.

I kinda feel the same way. None of the guys on the Bombcast seem to give a shit anymore an that's even excluding Jeff who didn't seem to like Half Life that much to begin with. I'm even getting the same way, I used to freak out when there was a rumor of it coming out. I'm still gonna be excited for it when (if) it does come out but I pretty much ignore any 'news' I hear about it now. Actually at this point I'm pretty meh on anything Valve releases. That's not to say I don't think they make great games, I loved Portal along with everyone else but a Portal 3 or another Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress...yeah that's cool I guess. I dunno.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RonGalaxy

@narujoe93 said:

Take your time. Heck, take longer than what people think "your time" should be tp get it right. But don't take so long that your game turns into nothing more than a fucking punchline.

People can joke all they want, valve is one of the best game developers ever. They take their time and we are awarded with great games. Who gives a fuck if HL3's development has become an internet joke? If it comes out, it will probably be fucking amazing and no one will care anymore about that stupid shit. Or it will turn out like crap and everyone will make more jokes. It doesn't really matter to me wither way.

And I don't know why it taking so long is even a surprise to anyone. This is fucking valve we're talking about. Have you ever heard of valve time? Yeah, this isn't anything new. What would be new is them releasing a poorly made game, since they have an amazing track record. I'd rather them take their sweet time and make an awesome game than have them shit out shitty sequels, or reveal too much info before they should.

Trust me, it's better this way.

christinebeachytiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a little bummed (but not surprised) that there was no mention of HL3 at E3 :-(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.