Next Half life to be "Scarier"

#1 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -

in an interview with CVG, Gabe newell declares that half life should return to "scaring" players Read the full interview here http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240672 What do you guys think? should half life be scarier? a whole game of ravenholm perhaps?

#2 Posted by elitebear (74 posts) -

oh you mean half-life 2 episode 3: forever? 

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

I hated Ravenholm so i'm probably gonna hate episode 3 if it's anything like it.

#4 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Nothing of the jump scare, high pitched sound variety. Makes me more angry than scared.

#5 Posted by chickendoughnut (87 posts) -

If its atmosphere wise with good shooting, I'm pumped. 
But if its IMAJUMPINYOURFACE then no

#6 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

"Should" return. Meaning, if we ever get the fucking the out it will be scarier.

#7 Posted by Chyro (353 posts) -

Some of the parts were a little freaky that I remember.  I think it was Episode 1 where you have to wait for the elevator to come down and it's pitch black and you can hear them.  And Ravenholm wasn't that scary when there are buzzsaws everywhere and you just rip right through everything with the Gravity Gun.    But nothing like Penumbra where you will literally piss yourself.  Even still the scary parts won't be the main focus of the game anyway. 

#8 Posted by Conker (784 posts) -

Im not gonna lie to you, Ravenholm was my least favorite part of all of Half-life 2, so I hope its not anything like that.
#9 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

I don't really feel the series has strayed away from anything other than what it's done in terms of atmosphere or "scariness" (not that any part of HL has ever been scary), so as far as I'm concerned, it would be hard to go back to something it never had in the first place. It's always done a good job of mixing atmospheres and emotions. And though Ravenholm was arguably one of the best parts of HL2, I certainly wouldn't want a whole game that relied on the creepier atmosphere than that level carried. Ep. 1 and 2 both had parts like that, too, so I'm not sure where else there is to go from there.

#10 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -

I'm also not a fan of 'scary' games, but it's Half Life so I'll be playing it regardless.

But this might not mean jump scares. Quote from the article...
"When Edge asked what scares them the most, he had a particularly dark answer: "The death of their children. The fading of their own abilities."

So hopefully they are going for the psychological angle instead of just having headcrabs jumping out of closets.

#11 Posted by Tebbit (4472 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
 So hopefully they are going for the psychological angle instead of just having headcrabs jumping out of closets. "
But what if that headcrab is Hedy Lamarr?
#12 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
 So hopefully they are going for the psychological angle instead of just having headcrabs jumping out of closets. "
But what if that headcrab is Hedy Lamarr? "

She's debeaked and completely harmless. The worst she could do is attempt to..."couple" with your head. Fruitlessly of course.
#13 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -
@Tebbit:  That would be messed up, if you could kill Heady without recognizing him, then realize with horror what you've done. Watch Gordon slowly go insane with guilt... "He was debeaked, he wasn't going to hurt me! What have I become?!

I think you're on to something here.
#14 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Ravenholm was intense, but it was too long and having those damn crabs and those screaming maniacs constantly jumping out got old and tedious.

#15 Posted by Conker (784 posts) -

I bet the "scary" part is when we find out that Alyx is actually Gordon's mother. Jus' sayin'
#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Tarsier said:
" dont you mean half life 2: episode 3: same outdated source engine we've been using for the last 2 generations? "
You mean that same outdated Source engine which is entirely modular and is used on multiple platforms for multiple award winning and retail leading games?
#17 Posted by Gabriel (4067 posts) -

I would be scared if it didn't come out on PS3, Gabe I'm begging you please put it out or I will buy an XBOX

#18 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

Hmm, methinks it could still be cool, just imagine cryostasis esque kind of scary on the Borealis.

#19 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

When was Half-Life scary?

#20 Posted by DanceDanceKennypants (632 posts) -

I've been waiting for episode three since, well, forever.

I mean, what the fuck, Valve? What's the big effing deal?

Just give us the damn game already.

#21 Posted by LiquidPrince (16004 posts) -

I've lost what little interest I had in the series by now.

#22 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -

I'm not too excited or concerned either way about him making the next Half-Life installment scarier. 

At least we're hearing something about Half-Life.

#23 Posted by jazzaim (10 posts) -

I wish there were Half Life 3

#24 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -
#25 Posted by TheHT (11513 posts) -

Return to scary? Half-Life 1 was atmospheric and chaotic while still refined but not scary. The only scary thing in Half-Life 2 was those goddamn black headcrabs and their hiss that sends shivers down my spine and causes me to spray everywhere (with bullets). Episodes were more story oriented and epic.

But sure! Just release it!!!

#26 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I wonder how scary he's talking. Ravenholm wasn't very scary except for those leaping zombies. 

#27 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Half-Life has never been scary.

#28 Posted by Tordah (2480 posts) -

I didn't find Ravenholm all that scary either so I'm not worried. It was more like a fun haunted house level.

#29 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

I'd love me some scary Half Life. Ravenholm had a certain charm.
We don't go there anymore.

#30 Posted by Cirdain (3099 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" When was Half-Life scary? "
Jump scares happend and also Ravenholm
#31 Posted by maimran91 (361 posts) -

Half- Life 3?

#32 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3706 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
" in an interview with CVG, Gabe newell declares that half life will never return. "
Fixed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.