Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

Opinions about Half-life 3

hellowill89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hellowill89

I was thinking about  HL 2 fans were disappointed that Left 4 dead 2 was gettting all of Valve's attention at e3 2009, instead of working on an episode 3 expansion to HL 2, but I was thinking that episode 3 sounds like a bad idea because its been over 2 years since episode 2 came out that if just another HL 2 expansion came out, it would not feel as innovative as it would have 2 years ago. I think Valve needs to take it up a notch after L4D 2 and make a full title Half Life 3 with improved graphics and drastically different alterations. What do you guys think?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cloneslayer

i can run a HL2 expansion, i cant run whatever ungodly requirements HL3 will have

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Th3_James

i am waiting to build a new pc for when half life 3 comes out

stillmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stillmotion

It's obvious that Valve is taking a liking to consoles for their upcoming games, so we're more than likely going to see HL3 on the 360—most definitely. To whether they will release Episode 3 or jump right into the third part is up to Mr. Newell.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By lemon360

episode 3 will be amazing

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Tuggah
    @lemon360: how do you know? The whole game could be you Crowbar-ing boxes for 12 hours until you find the key that destroys whoever the enemy is.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I'm sure Valve won't disappoint.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Episode 2 was nicely upgraded, but I do feel the Source engine is nearing the end of its optimal period.  It performs bad on older PCs now, and not so hot for the graphics level on consoles.

I'd rather see them put out a new engine, but I feel like that's something we'd be hearing about for a long time, we heard about the Source engine for a long time indeed before HL2 or anything else came out on it.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sushbag
    @Diamond said:
    " Episode 2 was nicely upgraded, but I do feel the Source engine is nearing the end of its optimal period.  It performs bad on older PCs now, and not so hot for the graphics level on consoles.  I'd rather see them put out a new engine, but I feel like that's something we'd be hearing about for a long time, we heard about the Source engine for a long time indeed before HL2 or anything else came out on it. "
    They don't need a new engine yet. "Not so hot" for consoles? Alright, show me a console game with facial animation and emotion like HL2. Show me one with large-scale physics simulation like Episode Two. Show me one with the incredibly realistic lighting and shadowing Valve techniques has achieved. Show me a console game with the fluid, high-framerate artistic detail of TF2. In your search to do so you will end up with three games: Uncharted, MGS4, and Killzone 2 which have amazing individual elements, but Valve is the real industry leader of real time graphics design. They were the first to integrate true HDR into games that I know of, they are still completely unrivaled in humanistic animation, and in terms of art design, they were the developers who saw the faux-realism trend of Gears of War (with it's plastic-wrapped look) coming and decided to make a multiplayer shooter with graphics so vivid that screenshots of it looks pre-rendered, yet with a stylized design that makes it easy to tell what's happening on the screen. I'd say until the consoles catch up to Episode Two in terms of realism and TF2 in terms of art style, it's the console devs that have work to do, not Valve.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By lemon360
    @Tuggah said:
    " @lemon360: how do you know? The whole game could be you Crowbar-ing boxes for 12 hours until you find the key that destroys whoever the enemy is. "

And your saying that aint amazing?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
    @Sushbag said:

" @Diamond said:

" Episode 2 was nicely upgraded, but I do feel the Source engine is nearing the end of its optimal period.  It performs bad on older PCs now, and not so hot for the graphics level on consoles.  I'd rather see them put out a new engine, but I feel like that's something we'd be hearing about for a long time, we heard about the Source engine for a long time indeed before HL2 or anything else came out on it. "
    They don't need a new engine yet. "Not so hot" for consoles? Alright, show me a console game with facial animation and emotion like HL2. Show me one with large-scale physics simulation like Episode Two. Show me one with the incredibly realistic lighting and shadowing Valve techniques has achieved. Show me a console game with the fluid, high-framerate artistic detail of TF2. In your search to do so you will end up with three games: Uncharted, MGS4, and Killzone 2 which have amazing individual elements, but Valve is the real industry leader of real time graphics design. They were the first to integrate true HDR into games that I know of, they are still completely unrivaled in humanistic animation, and in terms of art design, they were the developers who saw the faux-realism trend of Gears of War (with it's plastic-wrapped look) coming and decided to make a multiplayer shooter with graphics so vivid that screenshots of it looks pre-rendered, yet with a stylized design that makes it easy to tell what's happening on the screen. I'd say until the consoles catch up to Episode Two in terms of realism and TF2 in terms of art style, it's the console devs that have work to do, not Valve. "
    A console game with facial animation and emotion like HL2?  Just about any of them...  It was impressive when HL2 first debuted on PC, but now even with E2 improvements it's still pretty low tier.  Plenty of games take physics far further than Episode 2, Red Faction Guerilla is an extreme example.  Incredibly realistic and lighting?  This is a joke right?  It's all pre baked, it's lightmaps.  Mirror's Edge uses the same techniques, but others like Killzone 2 do far more real time lighting.  TF2 is 30fps on consoles, how is that impressive?

The Source engine is very reliant on texture memory to provide good visuals, while a more efficient engine could stream them in, or utilize more intense processing effects to deliver better graphics.

Crytek did true HDR in a Far Cry patch before Valve did.  Not sure what all others...  Valve was going to have HDR in HL2, but they pulled it out, and only the 360/PS3 versions have that HDR.
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sushbag
    @Diamond said:
    A console game with facial animation and emotion like HL2?  Just about any of them...
    And stopped reading.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By WickedCobra03

I really think that the original Left 4 Dead should have been free.  Almost a demo of sorts.  At this point there would have been much more good will towards the new game, ect.

I am not sure if you are talking about Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3, but I would really like them to finish up on the Half-Life 2 episodic trilogy.  I am sure they have already started work on the next engine, but it would be nice to see a game come out of it like Half-Life 3!

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jeffgoldblum

My grandchildren will probably love it.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " My grandchildren will probably love it. "
    Thats sad to think about that, but Episode 3 will probably not be out until 2011 and Half-Life 3 will be 2015... :(
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " My grandchildren will probably love it. "
    I lol'd.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

I wouldn't care if they just released HL2:E3 as a book instead. I'm only interested in the story, really.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @Sushbag said:
    " @Diamond said:
     high-framerate artistic detail of TF2. "
    Well I know your wrong about this, if you go on the steam TF2 boards, you'll see multiple threads about how the game runs bad on decent gaming machines. "
    He said console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.