Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

Portal and Half-Life bridging.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

When they put out Half-Life 3, which I'm sure they're going to, do you hope they bridge the Half-Life story and Portal story with one another more so than they have already? Maybe others aren't thinking or hoping what I am hoping for, but I hope that at some point Gordon Freeman meets GLaDOS, or at least something; otherwise it'd kind of feel too separate to me. An image someone made of G-Man and GLaDOS is interesting.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

...Why?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By habster3

The odds of Half-Life 3 coming out are so low by this point. Also, the atmosphere and gameplay styles of these two games are far too different for any sense of merging to seem natural. Just saying.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

@Video_Game_King: Because they're in the same universe, and I think it'd benefit if they were bridged together. Portal's great, but I think the wonder of whatever else is out there happening in the Half-Life universe as you're going through Portal is interesting and important. While many others would disagree, such as yourself I'm sure with a comment like that, I feel like Portal would feel even more important if this were to happen.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By williamhenry

@habster3 said:

The odds of Half-Life 3 coming out are so low by this point. Also, the atmosphere and gameplay styles of these two games are far too different for any sense of merging to seem natural. Just saying.

They already take place in the same universe, albeit years apart.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By landon

@Video_Game_King said:

...Why?

Why not?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@habster3 said:

You're kidding me. That goes for everything you just said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are already references to Portal in Episode 2, and Episode 3 is/was supposed to be centered around Gordon and Alyx finding the Borealis. I'm sure they will be at least some amount of crossover in whatever the next Half-Life ends up being.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Gordon will get a portal gun, that'll be it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@Soapy86: Yeah I know, that's why I said "more so than they have already." And hopefully.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@Tim_the_Corsair: Yeah, maybe. That'd still be pretty cool though.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By avidwriter

I think they did it more to make Half-Life fans come over to Portal and to just make everyone speculate like crazy. I doubt we'll actually get anything besides the borealis in EP3 assuming EP3 ever comes out, ever.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By habster3

@NTM: Not really. Valve seems to hate 3s in their games for some reason. Plus, the fact that it hasn't come out by this point is kind of a bad sign. And I know, I guess I can picture the two mixing together a little bit, but to be honest I think it would just look like cheap fan-service. Plus, even if both franchises are humorous, they still have pretty different tones (Portal is kind of dark but still a little lighthearted, Half-Life is pretty oppressive).

@WilliamHenry: Well, I knew that; I just don't think the idea sounds so great. It could be cool, but I think the end result would let me down.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By css_switchfoot

What is the Borealis? And what references are in Ep 2?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

Half-Life 3 will never live up to its expectations now. At this point, even if Valve creates a perfect game that transcends all others, an unquestionable Citizen Kane of gaming, it won't be enough to appease the fans. We've seen it before, we'll see it again if it ever does actually come out.

I don't think Valve should bridge the two stories in any way except subtle nods. They are just too far different in tone to really work well.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deusx

Obviously it's in the same universe but Gabe Newell already said he would never get Chell with Gordon since they are both voiceless characters and they are not supposed to be looked at from the outside perspective so maybe a little hint or two but nothing too major.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Even if they are the same universe, the tone is so different between the two games that I think any overt cross-over wouldn't mesh well. I like the idea of just subtly hinting they occupy the same absurd world.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I don't understand people saying that there's probably not going to be a third, or if there is, it's going to be disappointing. From Half-Life to HL2 it took longer, if you don't consider Half-Life 2's original release on PC in 2004, but also include the Episodes and what not.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@habster3: @believer258: @MikkaQ: I don't agree about the tone aspect. I think they can fit perfectly, without clashing. I mean, if you imagine GLaDOS massacring a bunch of Combine, and blood all around, then I can see why it'd be a little off, but that's not how I see things.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

@NTM said:

@habster3: @believer258: @MikkaQ: I don't agree about the tone aspect. I think they can fit perfectly, without clashing. I mean, if you imagine GLaDOS massacring a bunch of Combine, and blood all around, then I can see why it'd be a little off, but that's not how I see things.

Portal is bent toward humor, however black it may be. Half-Life is bent toward desperation and pure violence in the face of an incredibly oppressive army. For a comparison, this would be like Saving Private Ryan written as a comedy.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By habster3

@NTM: I guess you do have a point there. I'm still not a big fan of the idea, though. Kind of like how I wouldn't want TF2 in my Portal; I love both franchises, but the concept of Scout antagonizing GLaDOS makes me cringe a little. A lame argument, I know (I've had a really long day), but yeah

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By habster3

@believer258 said:

@NTM said:

Portal is bent toward humor, however black it may be. Half-Life is bent toward desperation and pure violence in the face of an incredibly oppressive army. For a comparison, this would be like Saving Private Ryan written as a comedy.

I think NTM pretty much worded my opinions about the concept perfectly

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

I don't think they'll do anything besides a few non-explicit references. That's not really valve's MO.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

@believer258: Half-Life does have some humor in it though, and at times it can too make you laugh, maybe not quite as much as Portal, but still. There are times in many games that are violent, that you'll have a silly character, or moment. It's fine that you think this, and I don't need to try and change your mind any further, 'cause I probably can't no matter what I bring up, but all I can say is that I guess I feel differently.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm content with them existing in the same universes but being more or less wholly separate, as they are now.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FengShuiGod

People don't remember Half Life very well. Remember all the dialog from the first Half Life prior to the Resonance Cascade? The scientists comically complain that nothing is running smoothly and their calculations are off but, "It probably won't be a problem....probably." Then there are the myriad ways scientists are killed off throughout the game, seemingly for laughs, as well as their panicked dialog. The scientists at Black Mesa were wildly incompetent, and Black Mesa's failed experiments are somewhat reminiscent of Aperture. If anything, Black Mesa is more comically tragic. Aperture's undoing was Glados. Black Mesa's was causing the Resonance Cascade which filled the planet with Xen life forms and attracted the Combine. Not to mention the ironic bravado displayed by the security guards as they take on hellish things with their puny pistols.

The humor is carried on in HL2 and it's Episodes by Kleiner and Lamar, Magnusson's berating, Odessa Cubbage, dialog from NPCs, the slightly off-kilter Father Gregori, some dialog from the Vortigaunts, ect.

There has always been plenty of wry, sardonic, black humor in the series. While it may not be as silly as Portal, Half Life's seriousness has always been tempered by humor throughout and the two franchises' tones are not as wildly different as many seem to think.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thedj93

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Gordon will get a portal gun, that'll be it.

doubt it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@FengShuiGod said:

People don't remember Half Life very well. Remember all the dialog from the first Half Life prior to the Resonance Cascade? The scientists comically complain that nothing is running smoothly and their calculations are off but, "It probably won't be a problem....probably." Then there are the myriad ways scientists are killed off throughout the game, seemingly for laughs, as well as their panicked dialog. The scientists at Black Mesa were wildly incompetent, and Black Mesa's failed experiments are somewhat reminiscent of Aperture. If anything, Black Mesa is more comically tragic. Aperture's undoing was Glados. Black Mesa's was causing the Resonance Cascade which filled the planet with Xen life forms and attracted the Combine. Not to mention the ironic bravado displayed by the security guards as they take on hellish things with their puny pistols.

The humor is carried on in HL2 and it's Episodes by Kleiner and Lamar, Magnusson's berating, Odessa Cubbage, dialog from NPCs, the slightly off-kilter Father Gregori, some dialog from the Vortigaunts, ect.

There has always been plenty of wry, sardonic, black humor in the series. While it may not be as silly as Portal, Half Life's seriousness has always been tempered by humor throughout and the two franchises' tones are not as wildly different as many seem to think.

Yeah, that sums it up. Thanks for saying this, 'cause while it's in my mind, I didn't have a way of saying it. It is how I see it though. I'm assuming you read the other comments that said the tone is far from the same, so it wouldn't work?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FengShuiGod

@NTM said:

@FengShuiGod said:

Yeah, that sums it up. Thanks for saying this, 'cause while it's in my mind, I didn't have a way of saying it. It is how I see it though. I'm assuming you read the other comments that said the tone is far from the same, so it wouldn't work?

Yeah. Even though I don't believe the tones of Portal and Half Life are wildly divergent, I don't think the games will or should be connected more than they are. I'd count on easter eggs in the Borealis, but I don't think Erik, Chet, and Marc are going to write in something like the inclusion of Chell into HL3. Like Ajamfalous said, that just doesn't seem like Valve's MO.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

@FengShuiGod said:

@NTM said:

@FengShuiGod said:

Yeah. Even though I don't believe the tones of Portal and Half Life are wildly divergent, I don't think the games will or should be connected more than they are. I'd count on easter eggs in the Borealis, but I don't think Erik, Chet, and Marc are going to write in something like the inclusion of Chell into HL3. Like Ajamfalous said, that just doesn't seem like Valve's MO.

I don't want Chell to be in it. I've never thought about that, and when someone mentions it I think it's awkward. I think GLaDOS is a different story though.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bybeach

I don't like this negative vibes bullshit about HL3 never coming out 

I don' like it at all.  Brooooooood, stares at wall for long time....

Time for me to put on my Stalker Coat and..no damn it thats my Flasher Coat where did I put... 

As for Portal, unless they do a qualified and beyond reproach crossover beyond whatever, I would have to ask why. The games have different thrusts. What connects them is as much as is neccessary and valid..all one needs. The Borealis I suppose.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aurelito

I like it the way it is. God knows how many evil science corporations exist in the HL universe. They cant interconnect all of them.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FengShuiGod

@bybeach:

Nah, I just don't see any character from Portal being in HL3 in anything beyond an easter egg.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.