Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

The Name Origin?

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

I've never played Half Life 1, and I'm only 1/4 through Half Life 2. So can someone explain to me what the name has to do with anything in the game? I know Half Life is like the halving of radioactive material in organisms or something like that, but If i'm wrong, please do tell XD

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I doesn't really have anything to do with the game from what I saw, but all the HL1 expansions (Blue Shift and Opposing Force) also have names that have to do with scientific terms.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Gordon Freeman=Physicist

Physicist=Physics
    Physics=Science
    Science=Chemistry
    Chemistry=Half-Life

All you need to know.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

lol fair enough, i was just curious because we're learning about relative aging and shit in my science class. When he mentioned Half Life i chuckled a little XD fun game... fun game...

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio

"The titles of Half-Life and its expansion packs are all named after scientific terms. Half-Life itself is a reference to the half-life of a quantity (such as a radioactive material), the amount of time required for the quantity to decay to half of its initial value. The Greek letter lambda, which features prominently on the game's packaging, represents the related decay constant, as well as the Lambda Complex featured in the game. Opposing Force, while it could be named because the player assumes the role of one of the enemies in the original game, is also a reference to Newton's third law of motion, while Blue Shift refers to the blue shifting of the frequency of radiation caused by the Doppler effect, in a similar parallel reference to the blue color of the security uniforms. In Half-Life: Decay, the title again references the half-life equation with the Lambda symbol being the decay constant."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.