Black Mesa has a release date. Sept 14th!

#1 Edited by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

http://blackmesasource.com/

11 days guys. They have confirmed that the mod will come out sept 14th. I'm finally excited to see how this thing turned out. If nothing else I'm majorly impressed that these dudes stuck with such an ambitious project this long.

EDIT: Black Mesa is now up for voting on Steam Greenlight. Don't worry, its still free, its just an way to have it downloadable right from steam. You can vote here if your interested.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

#2 Posted by wemibelec90 (1631 posts) -

I'll believe it when someonehas proof that they have installed it, it runs, and they complete it.

#3 Posted by Iron_Tool (220 posts) -

MIND = BLOWN!!!!

#4 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1394 posts) -

Well im excited to play it

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I'll believe it when someone has proof that they have installed it, it runs, and they complete it.

Me too.

#6 Posted by Brother_PipPop (253 posts) -
On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.
#7 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

So if it's not the whole game, why would I play it?

#8 Posted by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

@msavo said:

@wemibelec90 said:

I'll believe it when someone has proof that they have installed it, it runs, and they complete it.

Me too.

Agreed!

#9 Posted by niko555 (120 posts) -

Yeah i gotta say after ALL this time its finaly realeased... and its not even the full game.

They said it would be out early 2010 att one point.

I know they are doing all this for free but i really dont understand the reasoning to not say anything for almost 2 years.

They could have spared 1 minute to write an explanation.

But whatever, i hope its good after all this time

#10 Edited by Rekt_Hed (848 posts) -

@niko555 said:

Yeah i gotta say after ALL this time its finaly realeased... and its not even the full game.

I know they are doing all this for free but i really dont understand the reasoning to not say anything for almost 2 years.

WAIT........Its not the full game????????????????????? I was sure it was

#11 Posted by RazielCuts (2952 posts) -

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point. Maybe it not being the full game will work as a 'demo' to start a kickstarter to get it finished or something.

#12 Posted by Sgtpierceface (619 posts) -

@niko555 said:

I don't remember where it was (maybe RPS?), but I read an interview a few months back with the creators of the mod. They pretty much went over all the reasons why they took so long.

#13 Posted by AndrewB (7592 posts) -

I can't believe it made it to the BBC News website.

#14 Posted by niko555 (120 posts) -

@Rekt_Hed said:

@niko555 said:

WAIT........Its not the full game????????????????????? I was sure it was

Xen is not added yet they said.

#15 Posted by Zidd (1841 posts) -

its 14 out of 18 chapters. Its most of the game.

#16 Edited by AndrewB (7592 posts) -

@Zidd said:

its 14 out of 18 chapters. Its most of the game.

To put it in Half-Life terms, it's map C3A2 out of a total of C5A1.

#17 Posted by selbie (1885 posts) -

I thought this mod was dead in the water. I guess not :/

#18 Posted by csl316 (8475 posts) -
@SamStrife

So if it's not the whole game, why would I play it?

Because the last few chapters are kind of terrible. Lots of first person platforming and less tactical gunplay. If they need more time to improve it, sure.
#19 Posted by AndrewB (7592 posts) -

@csl316: "Less fun," sure, but the only terrible moment of the game is the last boss.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

So it's the whole game except the last few Xen levels?

Awesome, I hate the Xen levels anyway, so much so that I usually consider a full run of Half-Life to end at the moment you go to Xen.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -
#22 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2470 posts) -
@believer258 said:

Awesome, I hate the Xen levels anyway, so much so that I usually consider a full run of Half-Life to end at the moment you go to Xen.

I would say the lambda bunker itself is pretty bad, too. I hate those teleporter shenanigans.
#23 Edited by believer258 (11814 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling said:

@believer258 said:

I would say the lambda bunker itself is pretty bad, too. I hate those teleporter shenanigans.

I do agree, sir, but for me the high from the rest of the game doesn't fizzle out until a few minutes into Xen. Which sucks because that place should be awesome and instead it's horribly designed.

#24 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Crazy this is actually happening.

Also, the Steam community doesn't seem as rabid with the upvotes for good stuff as I'd expected. Seems like everything I see only has like 14% of the necessary ratings, even for stuff that's been up there since they launched Greenlight.

#25 Edited by coaxmetal (1607 posts) -

All it's missing is Xen so stop complaining, Xen sucked anyway. Also its a free fanmade mod, nobody has any right to be complaining about it missing anything or being late.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#27 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

bummer. i actually enjoyed xen. got to hear nihilanth say all that crypic shit.

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

All it's missing is Xen so stop complaining, Xen sucked anyway.

A.) I liked X-

B.) Wait, how do you remake Half-Life without including Xen? Wouldn't that be like leaving all that True Ending content out of Persona 4?

#29 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

It's like Persona 4 where nobody dies and you just go to school every day while Dojima drinks himself into a broken shell of a man.

#30 Posted by coaxmetal (1607 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: well, a lot of people didn't enjoy xen, but really that's beside the point. Most of a lot of people's nostalgia, mine included, is specifically for the black mesa stuff -- which they did. And also, remember, this is a free fanmade mod that has been years in the making by people who clearly don't get paid to do it and probably have fulltime jobs. I'm impressed its coming out in any playable format, and they say they will add Xen later, so instead of being pissed about the 4 chapters it's missing I'm super excited for the 14 chapters it has.

#31 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

If you think this has been a long time coming I'd suggest reading into the HDTP mod for Deus Ex...

#32 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4977 posts) -

I wish I could care about this, but it's not doing anything for me.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Riboflavin:

Oh, they're adding Xen later? OK, I guess. It sounded like they were specifically not including it, but now it's more like when an incomplete fan translation is released so people stop yelling at you for updates on the damn thing.

#34 Posted by ghostNPC (774 posts) -

Can't wait to look down some sights in a Half Life game.

Ugh.

#35 Posted by Mercer (204 posts) -

@ghostNPC said:

Can't wait to look down some sights in a Half Life game.

Ugh.

The only gun which has iron sights is the Magnum which had a similar ability in Half-life 1 Death Match, and of course the crossbow will still have scope zoom. And since it's a mod they included so many little options you can turn off the magnum iron sights entirely.

SO PUMPED

#36 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

Dude.

That's the end of this week.

I guess my weekend is shot. I can play this game with my eyes closed and ears plugged, but it will still be fun to play it through with purtier graphics on my brand-new rig!

#37 Posted by dudeglove (7774 posts) -

To be fair trying to remake Xen is probably a major hassle what with the gravity/long jump bollocks.

#38 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2104 posts) -

So they are not including any of the later levels then? Or are they adding them later? I dunno, i feel like for completeness sake, they should add them in. It would basically be like playing the original Halo game without the Library level which everyone hates (i personally didn't hate it as much as every seems to absolutely loathe it.

#39 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

They say theyre gonna make a different game out of the Xen level. I would like to remind everybody these people have worked on this for a very long time, without real resources and are not charging money. Its unbelievable that a real quality experience may come out of this. I am super excited.

#40 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

Also does anybody know why theyre redoing multiplayer. Does anybody really care about the half life multiplayer?

#41 Posted by shadowdrone (71 posts) -

@s10129107 said:

Also does anybody know why theyre redoing multiplayer. Does anybody really care about the half life multiplayer?

I did. Half Life deathmatch was what essentially got me into online multiplayer stuff. Well that and a few bouts of Command & Conquer over shitty modem connections, but that hardly counts.

#42 Posted by kalmia64 (75 posts) -

Eeeee! After all these years of waiting Black Mesa will finally be mine! Mwahaha!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.