Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Should I play Black Mesa before I finally play Half-Life 2?

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spacetrogg

Confession time, I have never played any of the Half-Life games. Shameful I know, and its made worse by the fact that I bought the Orange Box for pc years ago and they've just been sitting on steam gathering virtual dust. I now have a long weekend coming up and thought I might finally make a start on the franchise but I see that Black Mesa has been released and wondered if I should start with that? Would I get anything out of playing Black Mesa first, or should I wait till after Half-Life 2 and the episodes so the added cameos and injokes make more sense?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Maybe. You'll still miss the Xen section of the first game, if that's important to you. I haven't played Black Mesa but it can't be horribly different from the first game, can it?

Personally, I played Half-Life 2 long before I played the first game and I loved it. The two games aren't terribly related in terms of story beyond some names and a handful of references here and there. Hell, even some names (Kleiner, Vance, Breen) aren't even mentioned in Half-Life 1 despite those characters being integral to the plot of 2.

Yes, you can play 2 and still enjoy it greatly without having played 1. I don't necessarily think playing 1 or Black Mesa will add a ton of value to the second game.

EDIT: A word of warning: Half-Life 2 was incredibly impressive when it came out but a lot of people who play it now express an opinion of "eh, it was all right". It's held in such high regard because it was an incredible game for its time. It has definitely aged very, very well, but so many games have taken so much from it that it probably won't feel particularly special if it's your first time through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Honestly, the first game's story isn't that great in a modern context. It was revolutionary for the time, but overall it's just a great FPS. The graphics on the new mod will be much more similar to HL2 obviously. You wouldn't "get" anything out of playing Black Mesa besides an arguably still fun to play FPS. If you're looking for the story to make more sense, you can just look up a couple videos for the three important parts that happen in the first game. What are some of your favorite FPS games as a reference? Personally, if you played Black Mesa, you will probably get burnt out because it's an old school, super long FPS so only go into that if you're prepared.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spacetrogg

Hrmm, I don't normally really get into FPS games, at least not modern ones such as Halo and Call of Duty. For what its worth I loved both Portal games and I'm a big fan of classic point and click adventure games and most RPGs largely due to the puzzles or the story/atmosphere. I really want to try Half-Life 2 simply due to my love of the Portal franchise spilling over somewhat, but if Black Mesa is too clunky and dated I might give it a miss. Thanks guys!

EDIT: How long is the Xen portion of the game out of interest? Just curious as to what I would miss if I did try to play the game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By august

@spacetrogg said:

EDIT: How long is the Xen portion of the game out of interest? Just curious as to what I would miss if I did try to play the game.

Reasonably long. You'd basically be missing out on the entire end of the game.

I say drop the ten buck on Half-Life: Source and take a stab at it. But then I'm a pretty big Valve nerd.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Terramagi

Missing Xen isn't exactly a bad thing. That level sucked absolute ass.

Basically all you're missing is Ballsac Spider, Nihilanth and a brief "conversation".

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cannonballbam

@spacetrogg: After just finishing Black Mesa and being half way through Half-Life, I would say to just go with the original. Wait for a definitive release of Black Mesa with steam support. There is dialogue and an entire section of the game missing.

Also be ready for a different style of FPS with platforming. Everyone above is right, it feels a bit dated but without it we wouldn't be where we are now. I feel the same way about the entire HL series besides parts of HL2 episode 1 and 2. I think if they were to release another HL now, it would be a very different game.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ThePickle

Vinny alt account.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

@ThePickle said:

Vinny alt account.

That a Bombcast joke?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ThePickle

@Snail said:

@ThePickle said:

Vinny alt account.

That a Bombcast joke?

You could say that. More of a general Vinny joke.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

A lot of people got turned off by the Xen portion that I don't think playing Black Mesa as it is right now would be a bad thing. I'd go and beat Black Mesa, read about the ending to Half-Life, and then that will make more sense for HL2.

Theres a few injokes in Black Mesa, however theres also injokes and other references to HL1 that are in Half-Life 2.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

@SomeDeliCook said:

A lot of people got turned off by the Xen portion that I don't think playing Black Mesa as it is right now would be a bad thing. I'd go and beat Black Mesa, read about the ending to Half-Life, and then that will make more sense for HL2.

Yah, I try to forget that whole third of half life. And I think Half Life 2 dose too.

If you never played Halflife. Halflife 2 would still make sense.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Klei

Wow. I would love to get that HL1 / 2 vibe for the first time once again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.