Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

who played the PS2 version

aknowlesjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By aknowlesjr

i was wondering if anyone played the PS2 version and knew how it compared to the PC version.  I've come to enjoy Half Life 2 and its expansions.  i tried the PS2 version, but i thought it sucked and was hard.  this may have been b/c it was my first exposure to Half Life though.  Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts.

DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DrVanNostren

Yeah I played the PS2 version at a friend's house before I had ever heard of Half Life. I didn't like it at all. I love HL2 though and the episodes, but I played them on PC, so I don't know if that's the difference.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brukaoru

I have the PS2 version and I enjoyed it a lot. I never played the PC version.

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TOYBOXX

Yeah the PS2 version sucked ass. Wasn't the port released onto the PS2 before the Source engine came out?

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Justaddwater

Its exactly the same bar the lack of a mouse + keyboard.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By danielkempster

I believe the PS2 version is pretty much a direct port of the PC version, with the addition of Decay and a slight graphical improvement. I loved Half-Life on PS2 personally, well worth the £3 it cost me. I wasn't too keen on the control mapping, but the configuration is completely customisable and the game supports the PS2 keyboard & mouse peripherals so it's not really much of an issue. I think to fully appreciate Half-Life, you need to be able to look at it on its own merits. It is, after all, a ten-year-old game. Considering it's so cheap these days, it's definitely worth picking up. If you can look past the dated presentation, you'll discover a brilliant, involving shooter packed with several moments you won't soon forget.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clean

I liked the ps2 version of the game. I waited for a sequel : ( never got one

SpeedMan72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpeedMan72

i love the pc verison to death, and i have it for ps2 (dont play it anymore hinse xbox360) but it was ok, had better gfx and decay but that was it. and decay sucked if you didnt have anybody to play with.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By calf_exercises

I didnt personally but someone told be that it was alot of fun because of the co op.
    If I ever see a copy in a store I promise I will buy it.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roushimsx

The PS2 version is a bit of an oddity.

• The levels were slightly reworked here and there (you'll notice the changes pretty quickly once you start playing if you've spent any amount of time in the PC version). I've yet to play all the way through the game, so I don't know if there's anything seriously game altering in there (like there is in E3M6 in the Saturn and N64 versions of Duke Nukem 3D), but I haven't heard of anything too drastic.
    • The models have a far higher polygon count (higher than that of the HD pack that came with blue shift). Sometimes it makes them look better, other times (such as when the scientists speak), they look creepy as shit.
    • The movement is quite a bit different, including tilting the perspective when you turn. Pretty neat to see it in motion except for..
    • ...the framerate is incredibly erratic. Sometimes it's silky smooth, but that just makes it more painful when it suddenly starts stuttering for no apparent reason. Seriously, it's all over the damn place.
    • The aforementioned inclusion of Decay, which isn't that bad.

It also supports native 16:9 and if you have a USB Keyboard and Mouse, you can use them with the game. I don't recall if it had an option to flip the Y axis if you decided to go that route (I recall Deus Ex on PS2 did not, but it's not like the mouse+keyboard portion wasn't a hidden, undocumented bonus or anything).
    Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Elijah

It was pretty shoddy overall but I enjoyed playing co-op.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#12  Edited By dudacles

There are way, way too many load times in the PS2 version. That's my only true gripe.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hitchenson
    dudacles said:
    "There are way, way too many load times in the PS2 version. That's my only true gripe."
    There are way too many load times in HL2 as well. Doesn't stop it from being any less awesome.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

The PS2 version has an annoying auto-lock on feature that you don't have to use, but still gets in the way even if you don't.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

It was ok but load times were terrible, I remember waiting a couple seconds at the most on the PC, this just made it unberaable, but the graphics were a good improvement, I remember reading a comparison between the PC, DC and PS2 versions.  I had been waiting for the DC version for so long and then nothing.  I bought the PS2 version and it was so crappy with the controls, too much auto aim, and it felt more combersome to do stuff like the long jump or the jump up and crouch.  Although the co-op was cool.  I also remember there was a glitch on it where I could not start the game if there was a memory card inserted, i had to put in the memory card after the game started.  It was annoying as hell.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FCKSNAP

It was OK, and had tons of control customization. Co-op is fun since it's mostly puzzle based in some levels. I also have a copy of the Dreamcast version, which makes this one feel like butter (have you ever had a game stop to load twice in the same room?).

I would really only get it for Decay, and also it's $5 everywhere I've seen a used copy, so you know, not that big of an "investment".

simpsons_28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By simpsons_28

My computers crap so I'm costantley having to delete and bring back so most of the time I play the PS2 version. I really hate the lock on though.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I've only played it on PC. Never had the chance to play it on PS2 but I've heard numerous times that the game sucked on there.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Gabriel

Yep, it worked which is much better than no Half life at all.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, let's see. I tried to play it. Then learned that if you have 2 memory cards inserted in your PS2 at one time, it will corrupt your save. Luckily, this was a brand new memory card and Half-Life was the first game I was playing on it, but I lost my data and wasn't about to sit through that 30 minute tram ride ever again. By the way, that was like the dumbest idea ever for a game intro.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.