Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 29, 2011

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax is a port of the PSP RPG/puzzle game mashup Half-Minute Hero, released on XBLA and PC. It also includes a new graphical style and an added multiplayer component.

360 D-pad, you're the worst.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FrankWeidner

I picked this game up and I'm absolutely adoring its completely wacky... well, everything,  but the biggest fault of the game seems to be the fact that I have to play this game with a 360 controller. That d-pad is incredibly terrible, and for whatever reason using the analog stick doesn't seem to be much better. I'm constantly getting stuck, or moving in directions I swear I'm not pressing. It would hardly matter in a slower game, but I've only got 30 seconds to save the world, dammit! 

Anybody else frustrated with how this game controls? Anyone have a solution besides buying the $65 controller with the better d-pad?

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By fazzle

My biggest piece of advice is to just not run into walls, that seems to be the cause of this.  Whenever I run into a wall I seem to bounce off in some random ass direction that the game decides.  Other than that I don't have any problems, assuming I'm using the d-pad.  If I'm using the analog stick though, shit, I might as well just be blindfolded for all the good it does.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ViciousReiven

I don't understand how people have problems with the d-pad, I never have any of the problems people claim :\

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @ViciousReiven: I've always found it to be clunky when I'm using it as the primary control of a game. Weapon/special item selection works just fine, but when I'm using it to move a character, it just feels sluggish and inaccurate. If you haven't ever experienced that, my hat is off to you. 

Oh, and just curious, have you played this game in particular? Because it seems like an especially heinous case to me.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @ViciousReiven said:
    I don't understand how people have problems with the d-pad, I never have any of the problems people claim :\
    Same here, and I don't know how people feel about the Wii Remote's D-Pad, but I think that one is far worse.
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan: That d-pad is the only thing I like about the Wii Remote. It's not great, but it's always felt more accurate to me then the 360's. For example, I don't mind playing sidescrollers with the Wii Remote's d-pad, but I absolutely hate playing them with the 360's. Also, I've found puzzle games to be pretty difficult to control on the 360.  

Now, the PS3 d-pad is pretty great. If we're talking the best controller overall, I'll take the 360, but I like the PS3 d-pad the most. 

Also, every time I type the word "d-pad" in this thread, it sounds dirtier and dirtier.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By phish09

The only thing I don't like about the 360 D-pad is the placement of it.  It makes playing games with the D-pad, for extended periods of time, pretty uncomfortable.  Having said that, I don't know where else you could move it.  I need those analogue sticks where they are since I play way more games using the left analogue stick than using the D-pad.  The thing is, the PS3 doesn't have a much better D-pad, it's just in a more comfortable place, but the trade off is that using the left analogue stick on the Playstation controller is less comfortable than the 360 controller.  It's kind of lose-lose if you think about it.  IF only the left analogue stick could somehow be interchangeable with the D-pad, then you could switch them around based on whatever the game you are playing calls for. 

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ervonymous

It's pretty bad but it's served me better than the analog stick in this particular game.. I could try using my arcade stick though.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan: I guess it's a matter of personal tastes, I played a bunch of vanilla Street Fighter IV on the 360 D-pad before getting a Fightstick, and I've played all the 2D games I can on the 360's D-Pad without a problem but when I had to use the Wii Remote's D-Pad for Metroid Other M, I really hated it. I haven't spent enough time with a PS3 D-Pad to really form an opinion, but I'm probably gonna buy a PS3 Slim soon so, fingers crossed on me liking it! 
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @phish09: That's completely impractical, but I love that idea. I think you're right - the placement is a big part of the problem. Your thumb isn't at a comfortable angle, so which direction you're pressing kind of feels like a potshot. Let's start drawing up some schematics on this switchable controller, I'll call all of the engineers I know.
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:

@ViciousReiven: I've always found it to be clunky when I'm using it as the primary control of a game. Weapon/special item selection works just fine, but when I'm using it to move a character, it just feels sluggish and inaccurate. If you haven't ever experienced that, my hat is off to you. 

Oh, and just curious, have you played this game in particular? Because it seems like an especially heinous case to me.

Not yet, but I used it primarily in SotN and had little problem, in some instances I found it more precise than going analog. I guess I'm better at adapting, sort of, I still can't for the life of me play a game without inverting the Y-axis :(
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @ViciousReiven said:
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:

Not yet, but I used it primarily in SotN and had little problem, in some instances I found it more precise than going analog. I guess I'm better at adapting, sort of, I still can't for the life of me play a game without inverting the Y-axis :(
    Same here. Playing flight sims at a very young age ruined me, so I'll be inverted for life.
    Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Bumpton

INVERT 4 LYFE. Never played flight sims much (just some Wing Commander), but I still have the inverse controls drilled into my brain. 

On-topic: Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to try the game yet. Are we talking unplayably bad or just semi-annoying? I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot, especially after Brad's review!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By spazmaster666

In my experience the 360's D-pad can vary from controller to controller. I own about eight 360 controllers and some have decent D-pads while a few have pretty bad D-pads. I have the silver controller as well and while it's definitely better, it's still not quite as good as a D-pad having separate buttons for each direction like the DS3.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

Wait, this game is on 360? I'm fucking buying this now.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @Bumpton said:

INVERT 4 LYFE. Never played flight sims much (just some Wing Commander), but I still have the inverse controls drilled into my brain. 

On-topic: Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to try the game yet. Are we talking unplayably bad or just semi-annoying? I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot, especially after Brad's review!

It's never unplayable - like I said, I'm loving the game - but I do find myself fighting with the controls fairly often. Part of it may be the stress of the time limit, but I know I've seen my character just stand still while I'm trying to move him. But yes, if you're on the fence about it, definitely check it out. The insanity is totally worth some minor frustration.
    ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ervonymous

@Bumpton: You probably won't notice a thing if you don't have a problem with the d-pad in the first place, it's an excellent game and a steal at 800MP.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18  Edited By tofford

I just picked up one of the new limited edition controllers with the twisty d pad and it is a definite improvement. If your main controller is a bit worn down anyway I would get one

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

The stick is far worst but you're right, during Hero 300 where every second counts, the imprecisions with the pad can really cost you. And it gets worst in hero 3

IamAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IamAwesome

I'm shuddering once I get to Hero 3 since you need to be really precise on that mode and can't say I find the 360 dpad to be really precise compared to the PSP's dpad.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Buy a Razer Onza or a Madcatz Black Ops controller if you can afford it. They both have considerably better d-pads than the piece of engineering fail that is the original controller's dpad.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John1912
    @ViciousReiven said:
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FritzDude
    @owl_of_minerva said:

Buy a Razer Onza or a Madcatz Black Ops controller if you can afford it. They both have considerably better d-pads than the piece of engineering fail that is the original controller's dpad.

I approve of this. I recently bought the Razer Onza TE and the D-pad is much better than the original counterpart, especially for precision. Also, it's overall a better controller because of the customizable aspect and grip.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The 360 d-pad is the worst. Or at least the ones of five year old controllers (like mine), especially when the wear and tear of being used does not help.  

Makes me wish the PSP version of this game would go down in price. Or that they'd put this new version on PSN (which seems odd to me that they haven't, unless Microsoft started throwing money hats around). 

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @GilbertMordinAndSullivan: It's even worse when your riding a horse............
    Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tan

I've always hated the 360 d-pad. It's placement feels awkward to continuously use and the thing itself just feels one big button with a d-pad glued on top of it.

moofey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By moofey

While reviewing it my first observation was that moving the D-pad was obviously (and I expected this) not as tight as the PSP version.

This is probably the only 360 game I've played where trying to use the stick was even worse than the d-pad.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Milkman

Just started playing this and I totally agree. The D-pad sucks but the stick is even worse. I love the game but getting stuck on walls can really kill the mood sometimes.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've not had any problems using the analog sticks the times I have played this game at a friends...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.