Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 09, 2004

The sequel to Halo: Combat Evolved continues the epic story of humanity's last and best hope: the super-soldier Master Chief, as he defends Earth from a Covenant invasion and fights to prevent the activation of another Halo ring.

"Damn you JJWeatherman!" - Ryan Davis

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

No Caption Provided

"Damn you JJWeatherman!" was one of the last things I heard before the last game of Halo 2 I would ever play over Xbox LIVE. It was the very early morning of April 15th and I was playing Halo 2... with Giant Bomb.

Ahh the memories!
     Ahh the memories!
    Last night (at the time of this writing) was freakin' amazing. As a lot of you know, The one and only Giant Bomb crew hosted what was dubbed as the "Xboxalypse". The original Xbox LIVE servers were planned to shut down at midnight, but apparently someone fell asleep behind the Microsoft curtain and was a tad late. That was A-OK with me though as it meant more opportunities to try to connect to the crew's Halo 2 sessions. It was pretty hilarious. I found myself trying to plan the lag on the live stream video perfectly so that I start searching for games at the same time as the guys. I ended up getting into four of their games if I remember right.

The first match I got the opportunity to play with the one and only Ryan Davis. Love ya Ryan, but your Halo skills are a bit rusty.  :P
    Anyways that first game was a Rumble Pit match and I found myself going head to head against Sir Davis with Dave at his side. It's funny because it was the first game of theirs I tried to join and I got in instantly. I thought getting in all night would be easy but not so much. I got to play with a bunch of other guys trying to get into Ryan's games too though so it was still fun. So back to the first match. I totally won it. 25 kills and some sweat after the start, and I stood the winner. You guys have no idea how excited I was after that. I'm a complete nerd, I know.    : )

Thanks guys! (You're creepin' me out in this pic)

You're a worthy opponent Drew.
    After that I spent a several hours trying to get into matches with Drew (who had taken over shortly after my first match with Ryan). I got into a couple here and there. Got killed by David Ellis more than a few times too. Dude's tough. I honestly didn't expect that but hey, I give him props. Anyways, Ryan declared that they will play just one more match and then move on to Mech Assault. I thought I had to get into this match, so again I timed the entry just right and got grouped in with Drew again for what would be the last Halo 2 match I will ever play. It was on one of the DLC maps, can't remember the name exactly. It was a territories match though so I wasn't solely aiming to kill. But since Drew was on the opposite team, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't actively seeking him out the majority of the match.  By the end of the match we had both killed each other a couple times, I had a splatter and a couple melee kills on him. (Take that Drew!  :P). The last time I killed Drew though I ran up on him and smacked him in the face with my SMG, only to hear Ryan's voice coming from my PC shortly after muttering, "Damn you JJWeatherman!". Simply awesome.

Thanks so much to the Giant Bomb guys for doing this and giving the community a chance to put an end to LIVE with you. Even though things didn't exactly go as hoped due to Microsoft, it was an absolute blast.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

No Caption Provided

"Damn you JJWeatherman!" was one of the last things I heard before the last game of Halo 2 I would ever play over Xbox LIVE. It was the very early morning of April 15th and I was playing Halo 2... with Giant Bomb.

Ahh the memories!
     Ahh the memories!
    Last night (at the time of this writing) was freakin' amazing. As a lot of you know, The one and only Giant Bomb crew hosted what was dubbed as the "Xboxalypse". The original Xbox LIVE servers were planned to shut down at midnight, but apparently someone fell asleep behind the Microsoft curtain and was a tad late. That was A-OK with me though as it meant more opportunities to try to connect to the crew's Halo 2 sessions. It was pretty hilarious. I found myself trying to plan the lag on the live stream video perfectly so that I start searching for games at the same time as the guys. I ended up getting into four of their games if I remember right.

The first match I got the opportunity to play with the one and only Ryan Davis. Love ya Ryan, but your Halo skills are a bit rusty.  :P
    Anyways that first game was a Rumble Pit match and I found myself going head to head against Sir Davis with Dave at his side. It's funny because it was the first game of theirs I tried to join and I got in instantly. I thought getting in all night would be easy but not so much. I got to play with a bunch of other guys trying to get into Ryan's games too though so it was still fun. So back to the first match. I totally won it. 25 kills and some sweat after the start, and I stood the winner. You guys have no idea how excited I was after that. I'm a complete nerd, I know.    : )

After that I spent a several hours trying to get into matches with Drew (who had taken over shortly after my first match with Ryan). I got into a couple here and there. Got killed by David Ellis more than a few times too. Dude's tough. I honestly didn't expect that but hey, I give him props. Anyways, Ryan declared that they will play just one more match and then move on to Mech Assault. I thought I had to get into this match, so again I timed the entry just right and got grouped in with Drew again for what would be the last Halo 2 match I will ever play. It was on one of the DLC maps, can't remember the name exactly. It was a territories match though so I wasn't solely aiming to kill. But since Drew was on the opposite team, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't actively seeking him out the majority of the match.  By the end of the match we had both killed each other a couple times, I had a splatter and a couple melee kills on him. (Take that Drew!  :P). The last time I killed Drew though I ran up on him and smacked him in the face with my SMG, only to hear Ryan's voice coming from my PC shortly after muttering, "Damn you JJWeatherman!". Simply awesome.

Thanks so much to the Giant Bomb guys for doing this and giving the community a chance to put an end to LIVE with you. Even though things didn't exactly go as hoped due to Microsoft, it was an absolute blast.
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DaemonBlack

Lucky!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

I remember that!

There was a lot of good moments to be had, including the guitar bits.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

Drew held it down pretty well I thought. In fact they all played pretty well considering they probably haven't played those game since they were at the peak of their popularity.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

love it man, now i must add your GT to Live

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mmmslash

I have to admit, when I saw you in the game lobby with them, I got a little excited for you, too.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By RobotHamster

Damn your lucky, good for you.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89  Online

I'll admit it.  I am a little jealous that you played with the dudes.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By kishan6

i remember that moment lol

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @animateria said:
    " I remember that!  There was a lot of good moments to be had, including the guitar bits. "
    Oh my god, I was crackin up during the whistle song portion. It wasn't a good thing though because I was in that game with them trying to defend my teams flag. :P
    Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feser

Ah, damn you. God damn you dirty (lucky) ape.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NakAttack
    @Mmmslash said:
    " I have to admit, when I saw you in the game lobby with them, I got a little excited for you, too. "
    c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13  Edited By c_rakestraw

Congratulations, dude! That's a heck of an honor. You're really lucky to have been able to play with those guys.

Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joeku

Man, I remember being in about four games with (mostly against) Drew. Participating in all that was a blast, and getting Drew to have Ryan explain the source of his arm tattoo was cool. too.

I echo you sentiments about trying to get in to games with the crew. I was timing my gaming joining against the lag from the stream and whatnot. It was a hell of a fun night that went on way too long.

Dave singing the blues was amazing, too.

Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joeku

Man, I remember being in about four games with (mostly against) Drew. Participating in all that was a blast, and getting Drew to have Ryan explain the source of his arm tattoo was cool. too.

I echo you sentiments about trying to get in to games with the crew. I was timing my gaming joining against the lag from the stream and whatnot. It was a hell of a fun night that went on way too long.

Dave singing the blues was amazing, too.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By George_Hukas

I wish I still had an xbox I would have loved to participate.. still that stream was pretty epic from what I caught

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

nice dude. i remember seeing your name and i was just like, JJWeatherman.. i know that name!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I freaked out in the chat when I saw your gamertag. Pretty awesome.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That's awesome, I wish I was there.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm still playing Halo 2. You're now unable to login to (original) LIVE, but it's yet to forcibly remove those of us who are. There's still 60 people playing Halo 2.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Red12b

Well done man, I missed the Live stream as I was at work, Damn work, 

I salute thee Damn JJweatherman!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Tireyo

Lol. Very nice.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Hitchenson said:
    " I'm still playing Halo 2. You're now unable to login to (original) LIVE, but it's yet to forcibly remove those of us who are. There's still 60 people playing Halo 2. "
    Wow, seriously? That's crazy. You still playing?  :P
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hitchenson said:
    " I'm still playing Halo 2. You're now unable to login to (original) LIVE, but it's yet to forcibly remove those of us who are. There's still 60 people playing Halo 2. "
    Wow, seriously? That's crazy. You still playing?  :P "
    Yes. I may actually pass out... I've been awake for about 36 hours now and I've had 6'ish hours sleep since Wednesday. You know what though? Totally worth it.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Dude. You are my hero. JJWeatherman the Great,

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By mrsmiley

Congrats man! Very cool stuff. I didn't play because I couldn't find my Halo 2 disc... although ironically I have about 5 original Halo discs haha.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @rjayb89 said:
    " I am a little jealous that you played with the dudes. "
    why ?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Awesome. I really should watch Giantbomb's Xboxalypse. I played all night, and I was hoping I'd get matched up with them, but I wasn't following the video on here and stalking them or anything. Considering all the different playlists, I knew the odds of running into them were low. Still, I had a great day. I think the end of Halo 2 definitely was on a high note for me. I'm really going to miss that game. Heck, it's the only game I've been playing online for the last month and a half since I heard they were going to be pulling the plug. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll re-release it as an Xbox Live Arcade game on Microsoft's next console. I don't expect it to happen, but I'd definitely buy it.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wordfalling
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @wordfalling said:
    " You got a kill in this humorous clip someone managed to cap and Ryan tweeted about:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuy5RPCVjHA "
    Actually I was being killed in that clip, not killing, lol. Good times though.
    Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Keeng
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Hitchenson said:
    Wow, seriously? That's crazy. You still playing?  :P "
    Yes. I may actually pass out... I've been awake for about 36 hours now and I've had 6'ish hours sleep since Wednesday. You know what though? Totally worth it. "
    I am not exaggerating in any way when I say that is the funniest thing I've heard all year.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @wordfalling said:
    " You got a kill in this humorous clip someone managed to cap and Ryan tweeted about:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuy5RPCVjHA "
    Oh snap. I'm in there killin some Drew. I acutally almost didn't see him coming cuz I was laughing so much. Maybe that was their plan all along!
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By matt

Hey I think you killed me a few times... Jerk!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Matt said:
    " Hey I think you killed me a few times... Jerk! "
    lol, yeah you probably killed me a few times though too. That was fun though.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By wefwefasdf

I got into a game with Ryan and the gang completely by accident. I no-scoped him twice. ;)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By TheHT

lol good times indeed.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JeevesPleez

That night/morning was crazy. I lol'd pretty hard when Ryan yelled "Damn you, JJWeatherman!"

It just sucks that the only part I missed, because I fell asleep in my chair, was the only part they didn't archive - right when Vinny started playing Splinter Cell. Oh well.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Jambones

Awesome play sir. I caught the melee on Drew :D Very nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have no idea when I saw you how much I wanted to be you.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lemon360

HALO 2 RIP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.