Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Elites? I don't see any...

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By delta_ass

Isn't this game supposed to take place during Halo 2, pretty much? Well, my question is... where are the Elites? You fought Elites in Halo 2, but I can't see any Elites in the Quick Look or screenshots, just a bunch of Brutes.

I understand why you don't fight Elites in Halo 3, but they should be hostile in ODST, right?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ImperiousRix

I believe it's taking place between the end of Halo 2 and Halo 3.  As such, it makes sense that there are only Brutes and no Elites.  This is during the fall of New Mombasa.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By delta_ass
    @ImperiousRix said:
    " I believe it's taking place between the end of Halo 2 and Halo 3.  As such, it makes sense that there are only Brutes and no Elites.  This is during the fall of New Mombasa. "
    Oh, okay. I thought it was right after the Mombasa levels in Halo 2.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Diamond

It definitely seems to take place during the time of Halo 2 while MC is on Halo Delta.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SenatorSpacer

I hope this means that we'll be fighting Elite's again in Halo: Reach!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm alright with that.

Elites stopped being interesting when they all started their Quasimodo impressions in Halo 2. They were much cooler when they had good posture.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By delta_ass

Brutes have kinda stopped being all that interesting themselves, though. I mean, they were sorta cool with their big berserk attack and lack of shielding in Halo 2, but then they got shielding in Halo 3, kept the berserk, and uh... yea, not much more.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Delta_Ass said:
    "Brutes have kinda stopped being all that interesting themselves, though. I mean, they were sorta cool with their big berserk attack and lack of shielding in Halo 2, but then they got shielding in Halo 3, kept the berserk, and uh... yea, not much more. "
    They basically assimilated all the traits Elites had had before. Shielding, strafing, dodging tactics. They don't go "Gorilla" Beserk anymore, just I'm-angry-and-I-want-to-hit-you Beserk. 

I like them more in Halo 3 because, well, they actually react to being shot. Before they were just bullet sponges.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By delta_ass
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    They basically assimilated all the traits Elites had had before. Shielding, strafing, dodging tactics. They don't go "Gorilla" Beserk anymore, just I'm-angry-and-I-want-to-hit-you Beserk.  I like them more in Halo 3 because, well, they actually react to being shot. Before they were just bullet sponges. "
    I usually kill them with the carbine or battle rifle and it staggers them, so they're still pretty much bullet sponges to me.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By big_jon

Elites had no AI in halo 3 so they left them out of that game.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By delta_ass
    @big_jon said:
    " Elites had no AI in halo 3 so they left them out of that game. "
    Well, they easily could have at least ported over the AI from Halo 2, so I don't think that's the reason.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

By the time all this shit at New Mombasa was going down the elites had already gone rogue

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Bungi straight up said No elites, at Pax.  You cans check youtube, even.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

I think there are no elites because at this point truth had already plotted to dispose of them so he brought them to the halo rings where they wouldn't screw up the occupation of earth... or something like that.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By lucas_kelly

Bungie was too lazy to code the AI for them.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Capum15

Elites broke off from the Covenant in H2, along with Grunts and Hunters. Then they stayed as Separatists in H3, while Grunts and Hunters were put back into the Covenant. So while ODST is happening on Earth, the Covenant Civil War was raging over near Delta Halo and such. Though what happened to the Elites already stationed at New Mombasa I have no idea (I remember fighting them at the beginning of H2). Maybe the Covenant Cruiser going Slipspace over the city killed them? Or the Brutes dealt with them? They left with the Prophet?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#17  Edited By ImperiousRix

Well, technically Elites DID have AI as they appeared as allied soldiers in Halo 3. 
    I always DID find it weird, however, that in Halo 2 Hunters and Grunts allied themselves with the Elites, but now all of a sudden in Halo 3 they're back in the Covenent.  I mean, did Bungie just think "Oh shit, we got rid of too many of our enemy types" and decide to put them back?  I don't get it.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Cerza
    @ImperiousRix said:
    " Well, technically Elites DID have AI as they appeared as allied soldiers in Halo 3. I always DID find it weird, however, that in Halo 2 Hunters and Grunts allied themselves with the Elites, but now all of a sudden in Halo 3 they're back in the Covenent.  I mean, did Bungie just think "Oh shit, we got rid of too many of our enemy types" and decide to put them back?  I don't get it. "
    This bothered me as well and is one of the many gripes I have with Halo 3.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By big_jon
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @big_jon said:
    " Elites had no AI in halo 3 so they left them out of that game. "
    Well, they easily could have at least ported over the AI from Halo 2, so I don't think that's the reason. "

No they could because thats the halo 2 engine. They admitted thats the reason before
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By big_jon

Allie AI is different than enemy AI there was no AI. Bungie stated this already stop arguing it.
    JohnRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By JohnRabbit

There is s specific moment in the first level as Buck where he questions Dare where all the Elites are; the Elites absence is taken care of within the game world.; in fact their corpses are strewn about in some areas. However it does represent somewhat of a timeline issue since the Elites are not forced from power until later into Halo 2.  The Covenant ship jumping in slipspace happens near the beginning of Halo 2, placing ODST running concurrently with the events of the second game and slightly into the beginning of the third.  I suppose its possible the Elite rebellion STARTED at Earth and worked its way back to High Charity, but it was not presented that way in either Halo 2 or 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.