Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Halo isn't getting milked!

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zereta

Now, in light of ODST's announcement and its imminent release, people have been throwing this idea out a lot. And I must be dumb or something, because I just can't see it! How the hell is Halo being milked right now? Its been what? 8 years since Halo's entry into our lives and we've had 5 games. And I don't know, someone please enlighten me but what exactly is the definition of being milked?  

Because, if its just games of the same franchise being pumped out in short durations of time then everyone seems to be missing out the obvious culprits of Sonic, Mario and Call of Duty, the latter already having more games despite the franchise's later entry into the series.  

Is it just that Halo is big and hence people want to find problems with it? Its not as if these games have been bad. In fact, all the games thus far have been released to majority positivity and critical acclaim. 

It just makes me angry when I hear 'Halo is getting milked' when there are much more game franchises that actually are being milked.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Zereta

Now, in light of ODST's announcement and its imminent release, people have been throwing this idea out a lot. And I must be dumb or something, because I just can't see it! How the hell is Halo being milked right now? Its been what? 8 years since Halo's entry into our lives and we've had 5 games. And I don't know, someone please enlighten me but what exactly is the definition of being milked?  

Because, if its just games of the same franchise being pumped out in short durations of time then everyone seems to be missing out the obvious culprits of Sonic, Mario and Call of Duty, the latter already having more games despite the franchise's later entry into the series.  

Is it just that Halo is big and hence people want to find problems with it? Its not as if these games have been bad. In fact, all the games thus far have been released to majority positivity and critical acclaim. 

It just makes me angry when I hear 'Halo is getting milked' when there are much more game franchises that actually are being milked.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

Don't try to reason with fanboys.  You're probably gonna get mega flamed for this.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

The only game franchise I see that's getting milked because it's popular is Guitar Hero

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I like the universe and all but like what they said in the bombcast, bungie wrapped up the end abit too tight with halo 3.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby
    @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " I like the universe and all but like what they said in the bombcast, bungie wrapped up the end abit too tight with halo 3. "
    I guess tha'ts why ODST is a prequel of sorts. 

I wish Bungie would do something new, and a completely different universe.  I know they said Reach is the last Halo, but that means we won't get a brand new game from Bungie until 2012 at earliest.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zereta

Yea, but I feel like throughout the Halo games, they have done a good job of opening up the series a bit more. Like Microsoft is probably gonna take the risk sooner or later and make a game that takes place beyond Halo 3 but until then, the 2 games we know of thus far fit in perfectly with the trilogy. ODST takes place in parallel to 2's middle section and Reach takes place in the event just before Halo 1. And these entires show the scale and so called "epicness" of the series. 

Guitar Hero, despite being popular, is the only one that is being milked thus far. Saying that halo is being milked puts it in the same category as GH and that is not fair for Bungie, who obviously is crafting these games with much more care and attention than most GH games are being done so now.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " I like the universe and all but like what they said in the bombcast, bungie wrapped up the end abit too tight with halo 3. "
    I disagree.  The Halo universe is very big and we've seen they're able to tell a lot of different stories focusing on different characters.  Halo 3 ended the war, but left wide open the fate of Master Chief.  The Covenant, while severely owned, weren't completely destroyed and we still have the mysterious of Harvest, etc.  There's plenty more they can explore, and I'd have hardly said Halo 3's ending was definitive.

Again, I have to agree with the OP.  Halo seems to be one of the few franchises that is called "milked" despite the fact it's only had three main games, a spin-off and now an expansion for Halo 3.  No other game series takes this much flak for something like that..  Half-life 2 episode 3 is supposedly coming soon?  Well, let's see the first Half-Life had three expansions, a sequel with three expansions, two spin-offs and multiple re-releases.  And besides the introduction of physic based see-saw puzzles, no, the gameplay has not evolved any more than Halo's.

The same can be said about pretty much any other franchise out there to..  Final Fantasy?  We're onto the 14th game, and I can't count the amount of spin-offs, remakes and re-releases the series has had.  But it's a lot, and I rarley hear the complaint "milked" being leveled against it.  Same goes for Metal Gear, Rising will mark the 23rd game in that series (because obviously expansions count.)..  And let's not get into Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, Mario, Pokemon, Street Fighter, etc..

I don't care if people dislike the series, but claiming it's being milked is extremely hypocritical, and I've yet to hear a decent arguement for it, beyond the mindless dribble that people spout out, that basically amounts to "well Halo is worse because it's Halo".
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zereta

I kinda agree with ArchScabby as well. I want to see what else Bungie can do and sure enough, they have a new IP in the works right now.

sleeping143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By sleeping143
    @Zereta said:
    " I kinda agree with ArchScabby as well. I want to see what else Bungie can do and sure enough, they have a new IP in the works right now. "
    Have they said that their working on a new IP? If I am not mistaken, aren't they making Halo: Reach? My Opinon is that the Halo has the image of having been milked but, in actuality, has not been overdone so many times like Guitar Hero and such.  
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zereta

Nah, they had 3 teams working on 3 projects: ODST, Reach and this New IP. The ODST team has been absorbed into Reach now but the New IP team is still kicking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.