Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

I need some clarification on this...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

The wiki on this game makes it sound like I don't need a copy of Halo 3 in order to play Halo 3 multiplayer anymore...that I can just stick with ODST and it will do everything.  Is this true?  The reason I'm asking is because we have, like, 12 copies of Halo 3 here at work...and if we will be able to offer Halo 3 multiplayer just with the ODST disc...plus it will offer all of the ODST material as well...then we can get rid of our Halo 3 copies down to, like, 4 copies or so for the single player campaign and just use ODST for less disc-swapping needs. 

So I was hopeing maybe someone could clarify if that is actually the case.  Also, the Wiki mentions a "second disc" that has all the Halo 3 stuff through Mythic.  Will this be some form of a DLC setup like the map pack code included for Gears of War 2 and CoD4 GOTY, or will it be more like the Multiplayer Map Pack for Halo 2?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I want to know this also because then I could sell my silly chief helmet

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

It sounds specifically like yes, ODST's 2nd disk will be all of Halo 3's MP.  That's what Bungie has been saying anyways.  All maps released, some ODST exclusive maps, no single player at all.

I imagine you won't even have to install the ODST Halo 3 MP disk, but I hope you can to reduce disk noise.

I think you'll have to wait for the game to be fully release for final confirmation though.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By gearhead

@ Pie
    @jakob187
    Yeah, basically, two disks are in the ODST package. One is the campaign for ODST and Firefight, and the other is just the Halo 3 multiplayer including ALL of the Halo 3 DLC maps included. So yeah, you can sell your Halo 3 disc if you want.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187

Well, the thing is that we'd be keeping a couple of copies for the single player on Halo 3, which people do play quite often up here.  However, I'm curious as to whether you can just plug in the ODST disc and it covers ALL of your multiplayer, or if you have to use the second disc for Halo 3 multiplayer specifically and the ODST disc for specific ODST multiplayer.  If so, then that's kind of stupid.  Why not just include a copy of Halo 3 with every copy of ODST at that point?  Moreover, it means disc-swapping, and the point of any expansion set is TO NOT DISC SWAP! 

As for HDD installation of Halo 3, I'm sure that the same thing goes for HDD installs on that second disc as it currently does for Halo 3...which would be "don't install, as it slows shit down". 

Nonetheless, it would still mean we could weed down our copies of Halo 3 to, like, 4 copies for single player and just have the ODST copies for the Halo 3 MP and the ODST MP.  I just really hate the fact that Bungie is going to force you to disc swap like that so much.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I'm pretty sure that you wont need Halo 3 anymore if you just want to play the Halo 3 multiplayer.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fosssil
    @jakob187: 

If I'm not mistaken, Disc One has the new campaign and Firefight, and Disc Two contains the full version of Halo 3 multiplayer, plus all of the currently released DLC and the three new maps (Midship!!!). So you'd be fine to cut down on your copies of Halo 3, because you can use the second disk in ODST for the multiplayer. The maps will be only on-disk though, so you can't save them to the hard drive like you could with the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map pack disk.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @Fosssil: Wait...Midship?  They are actually putting MIDSHIP on Halo 3? 

I'm interested in this game now!
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By crunchUK

yes. It will be on a second disk or something, and yes they are shipping midship remake with ODST. But the best thing about it is we gets team throwback to go with it! 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Fosssil: Wait...Midship?  They are actually putting MIDSHIP on Halo 3?     I'm interested in this game now! "
    Oh man midships one of the maps. Everyone! quick rush top sword, and lets begin the domination.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
    @zombie2011 said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @Fosssil: Wait...Midship?  They are actually putting MIDSHIP on Halo 3?     I'm interested in this game now! "
    Oh man midships one of the maps. Everyone! quick rush top sword, and lets begin the domination. "
    Until i'm in a scorpion tank playing with a full party  you have no idea what domination in halo 3 means. Sword really isn't much to deal with.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pie
    @crunchUK said:
    " yes. It will be on a second disk or something, and yes they are shipping midship remake with ODST. But the best thing about it is we gets team throwback to go with it!  "
    Get what now?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

There is a second disk with just the Halo 3 multiplayer stuff called Halo 3: Mythic that will have all the all the maps and everything you need.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Whisperkill

What about achievements and ranks, will they be carried over to the ODST 2nd disk or will you have to start from scratch again?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Lies

ODST comes on two discs:

1. Disc 1 has the ODST campaign and Firefight on it. It also is where you will download the Reach beta from whenever it releases. This disc will earn you achievements for Halo 3: ODST
    2. Disc 2 contains the entire Halo 3 online experience. All the maps that shipped with the original Halo 3, all the DLC released so far, and three new maps: Heretic (Midship remake), Longshore, and Citadel. All patches and updates released for the multiplayer are also included on this ODST disc. This disc will actually earn you achievements for Halo 3- only the multiplayer ones, obviously.
    So the only thing you would need to keep your Halo 3 disc for is if you wanted to play campaign.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK
    @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " yes. It will be on a second disk or something, and yes they are shipping midship remake with ODST. But the best thing about it is we gets team throwback to go with it!  "
    Get what now? "
    It's like team objective, only redesigned
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pie
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Pie said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    Get what now? "
    It's like team objective, only redesigned "
    Its like what now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.