Best console Multiplayer game ever?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Years have come and gone, seasons have changed, my tastes in games has differed, I've played more, dug more, and have had fun. But no matter how many games I play, or how good they are, I always keep coming back to Halo. I'm probably in a better environment for it though: Small town, small school, everyone owns or plays Halo. This leads to giant custom games matches, plenty of matchmaking get togethers, and alot of grudges. It's become the game that even if I'm playing another game and I get an invite for Halo 3, I'm already up opening up the Halo case getting ready for a game.

I know Giantbomb isn't to hot and sensuous for Halo, but what have your experiences been with the game?

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15918 posts) -

Best multiplayer I think is still COD4.

#3 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Not having played anything on the PS3, I can't say but as for the 360 yeah, I think it's probably the game that has the most staying power. I say this with the fact that COD4 is a PC game, at least to me.

#4 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I like the Smash Bros. series for local multiplayer.

#5 Edited by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
M fave are
  1. Counter Strike Source (not on console but this is my list)
  2. Halo 3
  3. none even on the level of the above 2.
Honorable mention: cod4 not on my list because 
  1. cooked grenades are too powereful
  2. martyrdom
  3. too newb friendly
#6 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Halo is some of the finest multiplayer i have ever played
I honestly cant think of any better multiplayer console game
COD4 is a beige nade fest that I do not enjoy all that much (though most people have a boner for it, and rightfully so)

#7 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

Yea, for some people it could be. Easily.

That being said, so
me people do enjoy more tatical games like vegas and counterstrike and more finicky like cod.  and some actually like arena shooters believe it or not, i think...
You're going to have lots of people against you though, simply because you named halo (the most hated game on the internet just because of how fucking awesome it is).  Kind of funny when you think about it, Bungie use to be the underdog developer, making freaking awesome games that went unoticed (marathon was actually loads better than doom if you played it back when- both suck ass now), and now bungie is called the exact opposite (the dev that's games are celebrated too much).

I personally think Bungie just makes 1337 games.

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

When CoD4 started out, it was vastly superior to almost anything on the market for me.  Unfortunately, as time has passed on, the game has seriously turned into nothing more than spray 'n' pray + noob tubes.  It's Battlefield 2 now, basically.

Call of Duty 2 still stands with Quake III Arena as the paramount of multiplayer fragfests.  However, I've gotta say that if you are talking about 360 EXCLUSIVE multiplayer...then yeah, I guess Halo 3 is kind of it...unfortunately...because the game isn't honestly that good, whether it's campaign or multiplayer.  Makes me sad, because I remember how much I enjoyed Halo 2.

Levio, have you played L4D yet?  That game brings multiplayer to a new level.  However, CSS is definitely the pinnacle of MP gaming for some.  Oh, and you forgot to mention the bullshit that is called Juggernaut and Last Stand.  Pussies that use that shit need to:

EAT A DICK!!!

#9 Edited by Fosssil (627 posts) -

Halo 3 isn't even the best in the Halo series, much less the best ever -- that honor goes to Halo: CE.

As for console shooters of this generation, I'd have to place Shadowrun well ahead of Halo 3. It's a shame too, because the game could have been so much better than it is, and perhaps easily deserving of the "best console multiplayer game ever" title, but Bungie really dropped the ball on several fundamental gameplay elements (among them the melee system, poor starting weapon balance, and horrible map design).

#10 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Halo 3 isn't even close to the best console multiplayer. Hell, Halo 3 isn't anywhere near Halo: CE and Halo 2 in terms of multiplayer.

#11 Posted by Gamezilla (28 posts) -

I'm sure many people in here will say Halo, but I can't agree with that. While it is probably the most played multi-player game on 360, it is by far nowhere near the best. My favorite multi-player game of all time would have to be Call of Duty 4 or the original GoW. I'm not digging the new Gears' multi-player because of the terrible matchmaking that takes decades to get you matched with anyone. However, the original Gears sucked several hours away from my life.

#12 Posted by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

Nothing beats COD4...seriously

#13 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

COD:WAW

Was once COD4, but the online community is too blah

#14 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I played Halo 3 for about a month and I have not touched it since it's release

#15 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I agree, Halo 3 is a game that I keep playing.  Mainly because I have friends who still play it.  People come over to my house and everybody has played halo, it makes it easy to just pick up and play.

#16 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2435 posts) -

Most recently probably World at war.of all time super smash bros.

#17 Edited by Verdugo (2001 posts) -

Gears of War (1 or 2).

Also, I've had loads of fun with Rock Band 2's multiplayer. The Mario Party games (especially number 3) are great as well.

#18 Edited by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

best mp game ever is modern warfare 2. don't deny it. followed closely by gears 1 cod4 and halo 2

#19 Posted by DerekDanahy (874 posts) -

I think Gears 2 and L4D MP is more fun than Halo 3.

#20 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

I think its the smoothest online experience and its really well supported by Bungie since its release, but I don't think its the Most fun Multiplayer game.

#21 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -
@lemon360 said:
" best mp game ever is modern warfare 2. don't deny it. followed closely by gears 1 cod4 and halo 2 "
Did you play the game ?
#22 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

There is only really one answer.

The by far best selling video game of all time. The most played, most popular, most accessible, and gradually most widespread console multiplayer game there has ever been, Wii Sports. It is the Tetris of multiplayer games.

#23 Posted by Einherjan (588 posts) -

Goldeneye

#24 Edited by Blair (2504 posts) -

Why is this in the Halo 3 section... this topic isn't "most overrated game ever".

If you're looking for an answer to your question the best multiplayer game ever goes to either Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2 or perhaps Mario Kart for Super Nintendo.

Also, to add, COD4 is amazing, and much better than Halo (the entire series).

#25 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Until MAG comes out.

#26 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Okay. I will say that Halo 3 is indeed just that. But for the longest time, COD4 was superior because it made such a good first impression before you saw its true colors.

#27 Edited by Themanohall (397 posts) -

For an online fps, sure, but I think Rock Band 2 has the best multiplayer, local and online.

#28 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@Einherjan said:
" Goldeneye "
/facepalm

There's always one...
#29 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Best multiplayer gameplay is definitely CoD4 it was just more fun. But Halo 3 despite its shortcomings and haters alike is probably the best for other reasons. Bungie provided simple yet deep gameplay that was capable of supporting the game over the years of better games coming out. Bungie provides new content in the way of maps and new game types and playlists frequently to keep things interesting. They take feedback at their own personal site which should be the benchmark for how a developer interacts with their game's players. Providing gameplay statistics for every match ever played even campaign statistics in near real time is unprecedented. Others have emulated but only Bungie has succeeded.

An amazing wealth of user created content is available for the game. For as much as the public matches are a focus in other games bungie provides a game that people actually forgoe progressing in experience or level to play private matches with their friends for fun like in the old days when things like rank didn't matter. And so many other reasons that Halo 3 is the best, not because its the best game but because the developer didn't abandon it to the wolves and takes care to ensure their game survives not make a game that will last for 6 months till they can pump out a trailer for the sequel.

#30 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Holy crap what a bump.

#31 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

COD 4 and Killzone 2 for me 

#32 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -

All the games posted up till now are all awesome games, but does anybody remember how great this was? The multiplayer in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Not saying it was the greatest ever, but I definitely think it should be up there. It was awesome.

#33 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Looking at the thread it has received some fairly strange bumps along the way, my post came a week after the previous one but the topic was still like top 3 on the forum then and the posts before those were from like 5 months ago. These boards need to move more than a tad bit faster. There is no shortage of GB users but wow do the boards creep along here at an unbearable pace sometimes.

#34 Posted by Pappasman (119 posts) -

every halo game has been my favorite multiplayer game.  COD is VERY boring to me.  i don't see why people like it.

#35 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -

I agree,Halo's multiplayer is definately the best.I really lik the CoD games,but I still prefer Halo.

#36 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Killzone 2 here.

#37 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Yeah Halo 3 is the best. The community and all the stats bungie tracks are insane, plus the amount of game-types available and the customization with forge. Plus all the ridiculous stuff that happens like crazy sticks, ricocheting  snipes, Everything involving a vehicle or the destruction of a vehicle. Plus the replays and screenshots bungie just went all out on Halo 3 and thats millions still play the game.

#38 Edited by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

8 months? lol this thread is so old. Anyway, halo has this inexplicable magic about it that only halo owners know. I dunno, but it is often very emotional. Particularly squad battle. Laughter, triumphant smugness, excitement, tension, sadness, frustration, satisfaction, glee, comradliness, disappointment, hate and anger. And often you just get that feeling of raw awesomeness and adrenalin as you strafe the enemy team in a banshee on Valhalla while your flag carrier runs for safety. There's just so many great times to be had. All  bunched up in a couple of hours of halo 3.

#39 Posted by demontium (4708 posts) -
@Gorillawhat: Since you did not require online, you forgot all of the better multiplayer experiences that came before it or are just better locally.

Goldeneye
Brawl
Killer Instinct
Street Fighter II/III/IV

Although Team Fortress 2 is not a console game (the good version that is) it is more robust than Halo's multiplayer.
#40 Edited by EVO (3895 posts) -

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$

Play this game baked with 3-4 friends then get back to me.

#41 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -
@Themanohall said:
" For an online fps, sure, but I think Rock Band 2 has the best multiplayer, local and online. "
You sir are correct.
#42 Posted by Nate (703 posts) -

GTA 4 - I constantly find myself laughing out loud at all the crazy crap that happens in that game. There's so much variety in the different multi-player modes, it's frickin great!

#43 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

did you play cod 4

#44 Edited by calidan777 (853 posts) -

Wow,I'm kinda surprised by the answers here,they are kinda all over the place.Anyway, like I said in my previous post, Halo 3 multiplayer is the best and this is backed up each week by Major Nelson's weely Live activity stats where Halo 3 is usually number one(although there is the odd week sometimes where it comes in second,from time to time).And for the Halo haters out there, remember,if it were not for Halo,it's pretty likely you would'nt be playing all these great FPS's on consoles,hell you probably would'nt be playing anything on Xbox360 for that matter because Microsoft probably would'nt have made it past the first Xbox.As for the folks that think Halo 3 was'nt as good as Halo 2.....really?Halo 2 was such a departure from the first game that I find it weird that anyone who's been a fan since the first game would not like Halo 3 more than Halo 2 since Halo 3 was more like Halo:CE than Halo 2 was.And why on earth would somebody like Halo2's multiplayer better than Halo 3's?Halo 3 has basically the same multiplayer as Halo 2 but with way  more features (unless you just like Halo 2's maps more in which case I can't really argue with that as I still prefer Halo:CE's maps over the other games).Anyway,that's just my opinion.

#45 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

It's a lot of fun but I don't think it's the best multiplayer console game ever, there's too many games that had multplayer that wowed me to just name one.

#46 Posted by gungrave45 (123 posts) -

in my opinion it the best game ever made.

#47 Posted by Ekasra (104 posts) -
@Einherjan said:
" Goldeneye "
Goldeneye is memorable because it's all we had on little CRT tvs in our dorm rooms. It was a blast back then, but it didn't hold up well at all, especially in the control and graphical department. It makes me extremely dissapointed that we'll never see that game come back remade with new graphics and a control scheme that fits the Xbox or PS3 controller because that shit would be fun.
#48 Posted by Andorski (5287 posts) -

Warhawk is still my favorite online console experience.

#49 Posted by killmaster (2 posts) -
@Gorillawhat: there is no question in my mind about this one (for me anyways). Nothing compares to Team Fortress 2.
#50 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Hahahahaha. 

Hell no. Play Timesplitters. Play COD. Anything but fucking Halo 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.