Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Bungie Lied About Sandbox and the Mythic Map Pack!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Apparently there's two maps and then a grifball court. 

It's devided
    - open section (sandbox)
    - the crypt (grifball/tundra)
    - skybubble (basically another section in the air with a grid--> for making stuff like lockout)

No Caption Provided

so really, who knows how this is going to turn out.
    It's guaranteed main sandbox is there
    Tundra is another named map
    Grifball obviously

and then those other nice looking ones are just to show it off I guess? 
    http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=17358

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Everyone ignore this thread.  Smug would never speak negatively about Halo 3 or Bungie.  It's just a trap.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

wait, they made a map specifically for griffball?  what the hell?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ it's below the surface of sandbox.  It's the demensions of a grifball court, and essentially they decided on doing it for that, but there's also a map they created in that.
    They basically stuck it below the surface of sandbox.

Pretty much, sandbox is 3 layers, 2 of which have maps, one being an open outdoor map, the other a warlock type map, and the third layer is essentially lockout without the actual map (or construct/ any map that floats)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187

Ah, so yet again...Bungie offers nothing more than second-rate maps and rehashes from 4 years ago?

Weak as always, captain.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

uh, what? 
    This is a new map with essentially everything the folks over at bungie.net have asked for (see the ultimate forging map thread)

And then Assembly is a new mutlileveled outdoor arena type map (what people have been asking for- especially on the skirmish side) and Orbital which I don't completely understand yet.  We don't have a map entirely like it yet though.  They've ditched making those traditional maps with the heroic pack (the only true traditional ones in the game are standoff and valhalla)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

Meh, don't even know why I'm starting in...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

wait...did you think they were remaking grifball?  I think that's it.
    lulz.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hexpane

You realize Bungie will totally flame you now and call you a loser like those "pixel counters" who pointed out that Halo 3 was NOT IN NATIVE HD don't you?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "one being an open outdoor map"
    So basically Blood Gulch or Sidewinder or the likes...
    "the other a warlock type map"
    Needs no explanation...

"the third layer is essentially lockout without the actual map (or construct/ any map that floats)"
    Lockout?  Really?  Didn't they ALREADY do that with Cold Storage???

So...when I say "they do nothing but rehash old shit"...I mean that they rehash nothing but old shit.  At least IW had some original stuff to offer in their map pack for CoD4 rather than just offering up the same maps over and over with a slight tweak.  Only one that was a remake or even an "inspiration" for them was Chinatown.  =  /
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    jakob187 said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    Needs no explanation...

"the third layer is essentially lockout without the actual map (or construct/ any map that floats)"

So...when I say "they do nothing but rehash old shit"...I mean that they rehash nothing but old shit.  At least IW had some original stuff to offer in their map pack for CoD4 rather than just offering up the same maps over and over with a slight tweak.  Only one that was a remake or even an "inspiration" for them was Chinatown.  =  /
    "

No, a big open outdoor map means a variety of thigns.  neither blood gulch nor sidewinder are in Halo 3 either. It's more comparable to a split in half tombstone and and sand in between

Warlock type map?  Umm.. when did I say that? And anyway, I'd imagine you're reciting to the crypt--> I was talking about a forge variant I'd expect to see

And your 3rd quote is awful.
    First of all, Cold Storage is a remake of Chill Out.  Blackout is the Lockout remake. Thus proving you haven't played halo enough to care about these types of things.
    That being said, I said essentially lockout without the actual map.  I'm referencing being able to build a floating map.

Everything in their new map pack is original, I don't understand how you would say otherwise.

This is rather interesting though.  You're quoting my post that didn't show up.  What the heck? 
    We do remember that last map pack was essentially the retro throwback? And even then, Bungie isn't willing to do the same crap.  Blackout is pretty much the same fixed for halo 3, Avalanche is based on the same idea (but think a concept--> the map itself is very different) and Ghost Town is not unique in anyway for a halo map (sarcasm)

-- I honestly find it hilarious how you say that any "large outdoor map" is a blood gluch clone and then go on to say chinatown isn't close to bad as it's only an inspiration (hint, hint, it's essentially what lockout is to blackout)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK
    jakob187 said:
    "SmugDarkLoser said:
    Needs no explanation...

"
    Bad trolling alert
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

ALso im not exactly sure what they lied about since nobody ever heard anything on the contrary before

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "chinatown isn't close to bad as it's only an inspiration (hint, hint, it's essentially what lockout is to blackout)"
    Actually, Chinatown is a complete remake of Carentan from CoD2.  -_-  I remember saying that it was the only one in their map pack that was a remake or "inspiration" map, as all the others were from the ground up with no other maps in mind.  Nonetheless, I hate the CoD4 map pack, so I guess bringing that point up is pretty pointless...although Creek is pretty fun to kill snipers on.  = D
    I'm simply saying that I quit playing Halo 3 because it didn't seem like they actually did anything new or different, but instead just added and added until it was inferior to Halo 2.  Remember, I loved Halo 2.  I played that shit about 6 hours a day (cause work and sleep were necessary back then and I didn't work at Lansharx...which leads me to tell everyone to never work for companies that want to get medical records for insurance companies...as most of the claims are denied anyways and it's a pointless job).

Also, sorry for getting Cold Storage and Blackout mixed up.  I stopped playing before either were available, so you are right - I guess I haven't played enough to give a damn about either of them.  Then again, if I wanna play Blackout...I'll just go to Halo 2 and play Lockout.  =  /

My simple point is this:  Halo and Halo 2 were fucking great, but Halo 3 just pales in comparison on so many levels.  Having the "use" button for bubble shields and all that stupid shit is pointless.  They basically put too much stuff in the game to keep noobs from getting their asses stomped rather than forcing the noobs to get better at the game.  Halo 3 takes little more than knowledge of what the assault rifle or sniper rifle is, then melee attacking.

Then again, the only two maps that I seemed to enjoy on that game were Guardian and Epitaph.  I don't know...I just dig Midship so much from Halo 2 (especially when we would do stationary KotH matches with invis, stickies, and shottys) that I like those two more than the rest.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ are you serious?  Everyone agrees that Halo 3 is less newb friendly than halo 2.  Honestly, you don't know halo if you think othewise.
    And the fact that you say you enjoy Epitaph and Guardian because you liked Midship just signals you probably haven't even played the game.  Those maps are NOTHING alike.  Especially epitaph.

Please explain that actually, this should be interesting.  How is Epitaph similar to midship *does lulz*

--- and then you complain about them continually adding to the game to make it crappier (say what?) yet you say you were gone before the second map pack.  (sorry, you've been caught lying.  go to jail.  go directly to jail.  that's all)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Please explain that actually, this should be interesting.  How is Epitaph similar to midship *does lulz*"
    I'm more referring to how they are both focusing fights in the middle of the map, paths on the outside to get around, two floors with the top being mostly for jumping on your opponent at the right moment, and the relatively small map size compared to other maps.

You know, like MIDSHIP!  Unless I am yet again getting the name wrong of the map in Halo 3...which I know I'm not.  Big cathedral?  I'm not saying it's a remake or anything, but it definitely took some HARD inspiration from Midship, and then increased the size.

I was also genuinely displeased with the map choices on Halo 3.  High Ground was fun as Hell, as was Snowbound (well, for a while...then you realize that it's just a flat white area with a handful of underground bunker areas).  Epitaph and Guardian were the two I had the most fun on, though.

Caught lying?  BWAHAHAHA!!!  Dood, I was fucking PSYCHED before the release of Halo 3.  Even after playing the beta and only having a mixed reaction, I was still at least a decent fan of High Ground and Valhalla.  When the game came out, I played it...and the whole time (about the first three months after release), I gritted my teeth WANTING to like it.  I couldn't.  It fucked up everything I loved about Halo 2.

As for the playlist thing...you don't understand what I'm saying obviously.  I know where I can go to find a challenge.  However, "noobs" will never get better if the vets and the "noobs" remain separated.  I got good at CoD2 because I played against amazing CoD2 players.  Same with CoD4.  It feels like games such as Halo 3 and Gears of War want to separate players more than they honestly want people to get better at the game.

You only get better with practice, time, and playing against people who are going to stomp the shit out of you regardless.  Otherwise, you are just playing against noobs.  I don't know, maybe I'm just not a huge fan of "matchmaking".

I don't know, maybe I should try it out again, but every time I watch someone play it up here at work, it doesn't look like something I will go back and enjoy.  Halo 2 was it for me, apparently...and that's alright.  
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, a lot of people like Halo 2 more.  That's totally cool, in my book, because that was a good fucking game. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Yeah, a lot of people like Halo 2 more.  That's totally cool, in my book, because that was a good fucking game. "
    EXACTLY!  I mean, I could bitch about the texture pop-in problems and a handful of other graphical issues in the game, but there was a need and a purpose for EVERY GUN in that game (minus the pistol on some occasions).  It really was a well-built game, as much as I shouldn't like it.  I'm not much for the "Space Marine with shitloads of armor and takes forever to kill", but there was something about it that I just enjoyed.  I can't place my finger on it.  Plus, once they added the remake map of Hang 'Em High (I don't know what the remake is called because I kept calling it Hang 'Em High), I was EXUBERANT!  That's one of the best multiplayer maps of all time, right up there with Carentan, Strike at Karkand, and about half of Quake III Arena!!!  Nonetheless, Halo 2 just felt...right.  Halo 3 felt like it was stretching.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Lies

Yeah jakob... you're really just antagonizing Smug without really checking the facts. Not saying it's not fun to do, but still...

Sandbox is a Forge map, and it doesn't really crip off of anything Bungie has done before.

The top tier has nothing on it by default, but is designed to give map makers the ability to make "floating maps" where if you jump off the edge you fall to your death e.g. Boarding Action, Lockout, Geyrophobia, Ascension. It also eliminates the need to box off certain areas, because if you leave the path you'll fall to your death.

The middle tier is a desert floor, probably a little smaller than Valhalla, allowing for open vehicle fights and longer range battles- stuff you couldn't do on Foundry due to it's small size and indoor nature.

The bottom tier is a smaller, more contained area much like Foundry, allowing for you to build inside maps with four surrounding walls.

The closest thing Bungie has done to Sandbox is Foundry, but Sandbox is considerably more advanced. The diversity of Forge maps that we see will undoubtedly hugely increase once Sanbox releases. It contains a huge amount of placeable objects, and maps can utilize all three tiers at once, making for some diverse options. How good it turns out to be is going to depend on how creative Forgers are with it, but it's misinformed to say it's a rehash of something Bungie has done before.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187

So Sandbox is basically just a Forge thing?  I guess I kind of get it now.  I didn't spend a lot of time with Forge when I played, so yes, I don't know a ton about what it's capable of.  Now that I know it's a Forge map, I can say "sorry" to Smug for being misinformed about that.  Even when I was trying to do some online research, I didn't fully understand what the hell it was supposed to be...much like trying to watch a Noby Noby Boy video.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

bungie.net
    click on the weekly update (today's)
    it explains it all

it's essentially a map of 3 portions.

and don't worry.  You don't have to apologize, I like making people try to argue, very comedical

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "bungie.net
    click on the weekly update (today's)
    it explains it all

it's essentially a map of 3 portions.

and don't worry.  You don't have to apologize, I like making people try to argue, very comedical"
    I read the updates...and it was still a bit confusing.  Like I said, I didn't play with Forge much...so some of what they are talking about is basically Latin to me.
    Maybe if they spoke in Pig Latin, I'd be better off.  =  /

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.