Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Halo 3 Legendary Playthrough - Your Hardest Combat Encounter

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

When I got Halo 3 from the bargain bin sometime in the fall of 2008, I somehow didn't take it seriously. I didn't really want to play it. I don't even know why. I ended up playing it on the easiest setting and not really enjoying it all that much. I always felt kinda guilty about that. So I finally took the time and put up the effort to do Halo 3 justice. I just finished up my Halo 3 Legendary playthrough. I had a blast, especially because the AI is very fun to fight against. The AI and Halo's mechanics harmonize perfectly together.

Some balancing and design issues stood out some more, because of the very unforgiving difficulty - but nothing too bad. I didn't like the fact, that Masterchief gets damaged, when he's in vehicles, whereas enemies don't. Different rules apply. My vehicle gets shot - I take damage. I shoot their vehicles, only their vehicles get damaged. This made vehicle sections somewhat frustrating and feel wrong. Also - some of the onehit kill weapons felt just a tad bit too powerful in the superaccurate marksman hands of the Legendary AI. While the vehicle controls are highly functional, it sucks not to be able to look in one direction and drive in another. In the hornet (the flying chopper thing), it's impossible to aim and change altitude, since changing altitide is linked with the crosshair. The only vehicle which has seperate camera and movement controls is the Scorpion tank, which is just a tad bit slow to make good use of it. But that's about it. Enough of the nitpicking.

The harder combat encounters felt almost like some kind of puzzle room. How to go about killing these dudes. In what order, with what weapon, where and when to restock and so forth. On a couple of them I was stuck for a couple of hours. Grinding away my imperfections. I guess everybody, who did a Legendary difficulty playthrough had such blocker encounters to deal with.

Mine was pretty early on. I was stuck almost a whole night in level 2 locked in a hallway with about 20 brutes. Tons of blue armor brutes with their Nail-Pistol thingys, a couple of brutes with alien carabine, a golden brute with a brute gun and a superbrute with a powerhammer. A very narrow and short 2 story hallway. There's some supplies on the 2nd story, but the only way up there are 3 'consumable' anti-grav fields scattered on the first floor. I had the scoped Assault Rifle and a shotgun and 2 frag and 2 sticky grenades to begin with. Oh boy - that was one hard fight and one long night. The second place goes to a corridor in second to last level. In the flood hive rescuing Cortana. Those wierd mutating 'dogs' with their 3 forms (static ranged, hulking slow melee and quick dog-like climbing on walls) are so tough and in one corridor they were all setup at far ranges and needling me from afar while tons of gun wielding flood ran at me. Hated that place. Might be because of that heartbeat ambient sound. But I ran past it with a cloaking device. So that doesn't count. Gotta be so incredibly patient in that level.

It was a very rewarding playthrough and most encounters are a 'by the flesh of my teeth' affair. Good fun! But some are just borderline crazy frustrating. Which was your hardest encounter?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

I always hated that early encounter where you rescue the sarge when he's in holding... there's some kind of bridge or something you have to pass, and it's a pain in the ass, truly. Especially on legendary. IT's the end of the first level, if I remember correctly.  

No other encounter bothered me that much.  

Oh well there's the level that was all flood infected. That shit was awful, just because I could never figure out where to go. 

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Matfei90

The hardest bit for me was the Cortana level. Stupid flood zerg- rush.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " I always hated that early encounter where you rescue the sarge when he's in holding... there's some kind of bridge or something you have to pass, and it's a pain in the ass, truly. Especially on legendary. IT's the end of the first level, if I remember correctly.   No other encounter bothered me that much.   Oh well there's the level that was all flood infected. That shit was awful, just because I could never figure out where to go.  "

I had the good sense to have 2 sniper-rifles with me for that passage. Was a breeze.

That's were I gave up playing Halo 3 on Heroic back in 2008 and opted to go for just an 'easiest' playthrough. Just didn't have the time for serious Halo back then.

MIght have been Crysis being fresh in my mind, which made me not take Halo seriously.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @Matfei90 said:

" The hardest bit for me was the Cortana level. Stupid flood zerg- rush. "

I especially hated the whole heartbeat ambient sound. Really stressed me out. And most of the level requires a lot of patience. Killing almost endless waves of Flood. I was glad being done with that. Couldn't stand the place.

But I guess, that's what Bungie was going for.
    bozosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bozosc

I played it with 3 other people when a part was stuff had a spawn anchor cheap i know but it got the job done

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

When i played on legendary, 4 players, iron last levels the flood were horribly hard in areas.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @bozosc said:
    " I played it with 3 other people when a part was stuff had a spawn anchor cheap i know but it got the job done "

Oh - what would I have given for a good gunner or driver respectively. Friendly AI in vehicles is one of few AI lowpoints. But I guess that's standing out because of the unforgiving balancing on Legendary difficulty. Especially since vehicle balance seems to be a bit off from the get-go.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Freeing Sarge.  Honestly the AI on Legendary in that section is just brutal.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the hardest bits, as has always been the case in the Halo games, are the parts where the environment forces you into into chokepoints and throws swarms of enemies at you. The Library, Halo 2's Arbiter and Jackal Sniper levels, and Halo 3's Cortana all continue to be the most agonizing stages in the Halo franchise.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Matfei90
    @Seppli: Doesn't make me keen to replay the campaign any time soon.
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By ApolloJ85

I have to claim Call Of Duty (the original) on Veteran - in particular the storming of Stalingrad from the river - to be one of my hardest fps experiences. I ran up that hill many many times, each time I got killed in different section. I would never want to advance uphill under machine gun fire and stuka runs in real life. 

In saying that, Halo: CE was a vastly harder game on Legendary than any of its sequels.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I never played it on legendary.  God damn NAT settings fucked me over the night I was going to do it with three friends, and I have never really tried to do it after that.  I hear Cortana is a bitch though. 

Oh, and your Halo terminology makes me lol. 

dastly75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dastly75

Don't remember where but there was a part in a valley where you find a small marine camp and you get hit by waves of brutes and finally wraiths, that was the hardest part for me.  Halo wise I don't think I've played anything harder than Cairo Station on legendary.

demigonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By demigonis
    @dastly75 said:
    " Don't remember where but there was a part in a valley where you find a small marine camp and you get hit by waves of brutes and finally wraiths, that was the hardest part for me.  Halo wise I don't think I've played anything harder than Cairo Station on legendary. "
    That was my hardest part also I think, (Solo on Legendary) I can't remember the name offhand.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Demigonis said:
    " @dastly75 said:
    " Don't remember where but there was a part in a valley where you find a small marine camp and you get hit by waves of brutes and finally wraiths, that was the hardest part for me.  Halo wise I don't think I've played anything harder than Cairo Station on legendary. "
    That was my hardest part also I think, (Solo on Legendary) I can't remember the name offhand. "
    Tsavo highway. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Bigandtasty

My friend and I found the second level, Crow's Nest, to be unusually hard (both solo and co-op). Maybe it was because we weren't warmed up, but some of the Brute squads made us die much more than the brute squads in later levels.

Easiest level was probably Floodgate or whatever the flood level in the middle of the game was. We were pretty relaxed throughout that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bigandtasty said:
    "My friend and I found the second level, Crow's Nest, to be unusually hard (both solo and co-op). Maybe it was because we weren't warmed up, but some of the Brute squads made us die much more than the brute squads in later levels.  Easiest level was probably Floodgate or whatever the flood level in the middle of the game was. We were pretty relaxed throughout that one. "
    Floodgate isn't terrible. Mostly because it consists of you running more than fighting. Also, it's probably the shortest of the Halo 3 stages.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli
    @dastly75 said:

Yeah - one section on the highway with brutes and such an artillery tank (is that  a wraith?) was pretty hard. Especially since the tank's artillery bombardment was kinda inconsistent. It might not shoot you somewhere forever - just to onehit kill you out of the blue at the same spot. Must have been fighting hard for an hour or two hours there too.
    Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Wess

I actually thought legendary in Halo 3 was much much easier than legendary in either of the other 2 Halo games.  I never actually finished Halo 2 on legendary, but I'm pretty sure I beat Halo 3 in 2 school days.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Bouke

Level 2 the part with the 20 or something brutes (and the one with the hammer).
    NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks
    @Seppli said:
    " I didn't like the fact, that Masterchief gets damaged, when he's in vehicles, whereas enemies don't. Different rules apply. My vehicle gets shot - I take damage. I shoot their vehicles, only their vehicles get damaged. This made vehicle sections somewhat frustrating and feel wrong. "
    Not true . A lot of the times Ive killed Brutes on Choppers , Ive shot the vehicle repeatedly with a BR and the driver kicked the bucket .
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
    @NinjaCupCaiks said:

" @Seppli said:

" I didn't like the fact, that Masterchief gets damaged, when he's in vehicles, whereas enemies don't. Different rules apply. My vehicle gets shot - I take damage. I shoot their vehicles, only their vehicles get damaged. This made vehicle sections somewhat frustrating and feel wrong. "

Not true . A lot of the times Ive killed Brutes on Choppers , Ive shot the vehicle repeatedly with a BR and the driver kicked the bucket . "

If you hit the enemy itself - yes. If you just hit the vehicle, only the vehicle takes damage. The masterchief takes damage no matter where a shot hits or if it would be possible to hit him at all.

Anyways - even if the same rules would apply, the rules would just make it feel wrong. As far as I see it, the vehicles go first, then goes the masterchief. The masterchief should even survive a vehicle blowing up around him without dying - in this suit of his. Would make vehicle combat a lot more fun and pro-active and it feel more natural..
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax

The mission Cortana.......ugh.....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.