Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Halo 3's story

• 79 results
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I know a lot of people who haven't played the game get the misconception that Halo's story has been tacked on and is really just a mediocre run of the mill let's not pay attention to the story type game.  While I know you can't get all of it out of this as this is like joining a movie  way into it as it's the 3rd game (they all carry the same continued storyline- halo 3 is the end, hence finish the fight) and much of it, especially the details, are told in game.

Just watch this though, it should give you an idea  of Halo's story.  It's really good sci-fi imo.   See people, it's not half-baked! And for god sakes, Master Chief isn't a silent protangonist or forced badass, he's a dehumanized human. (there's this theme about master chief becoming dehumanized where as cortona, an ai, becomes human).  He does show emotions now and then though, subtley though (like leaning in when concerned, etc.)

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

I love Halo as much as the next guy Smug.

But Halo 3's story was shit.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @Lies said:
    "I love Halo as much as the next guy Smug. But Halo 3's story was shit."

Do you not like sci-fi?    Because it's actually quite strong. 
    Have you played halo 1/2?

Because there are some people who just don't like sci-fi, no matter what.
    I'm quite into sci-fi, and Halo's is quite well done.  

and like Star Wars doesn't qualify anyone as a star wars fan.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I liked the story of Halo and i thought Halo 3 wrapped it up nicely. The last level was epic the music the getaway and the final cut-scene all together was amazing.

dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dulmonkey

Halo has an excellent scifi story, especially whats told in the novels. Unfortunately a lot of that stuff doesn't translate into good gaming.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Crixaliz

I thought the story was fairly decent, I really liked how somethings that are shown or said link back to the older games.

Like when you rescue Cortana and she says "Keep your head down, there are two of us in here now" (which she says to you at the start of Halo 1).

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @Crixaliz said:
    "I thought the story was fairly decent, I really liked how somethings that are shown or said link back to the older games.Like when you rescue Cortana and she says "Keep your head down, there are two of us in here now" (which she says to you at the start of Halo 1)."

Or the ending....
    marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By marlow83

I'm sorry, Halo 3's story was very bad, especially when compared to the first two. Master Chief had the least personality and least lines out of all of the games, so there's one big strike against it. Also, all of the dialogue in the game essentially came down to a bunch of people saying "If we don't stop Truth, everyone will die" in a really over dramatic manner. Halo 3's story was also a little hard to follow, mainly the final act after the Arbiter kills Truth. There's just not a lot of explanation for any of the events. I had to  watch the cutscenes a few times to understand everything that happened. Also, the Gravemind was never actually explained in Halo 3, i only knew what the hell it was from outside sources.

You learn nothing about the rest of the Human race on Earth during the game either, which was disappointing.

Lastly, the worst thing about Halo 3's story was how the gameplay didn't back up how epic the story should have been. None of the battles have a really large scale to them, which detracts from the weight of the story.

So, yeah, Halo 1 and Halo 2 had good stories, Halo 3 did not.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies

Really, you found the "love story between Cortana and the Chief" to be compelling storytelling? Halo 3's story is a mess, none of the complex Covenant politics and dynamics of Halo 2, and none of the sense of exploration and adventure of the original Halo.

There was good story to be found within Halo 3, but it was buried in the Terminals. That's a compelling and well-told tale. The "main story" was hardly impressive.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan

I liked the story in Halo 3, quite a bit. The Terminals really add to it, as well, I felt.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Radar

Halo 3's story was so bad that I don't remember a thing of what went on.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By VWGTI

I gave up on Halo 3 halfway through the campaign because the story was very uninteresting.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @VWGTI said:
    "I gave up on Halo 3 halfway through the campaign because the story was very uninteresting. "
    So how can you possibly know if it's good or not if you didn't play through >.>

@Radar said:
    "Halo 3's story was so bad that I don't remember a thing of what went on."
    So therefore you can't comment on the story, lol.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @Lies said:
    "Really, you found the "love story between Cortana and the Chief" to be compelling storytelling? Halo 3's story is a mess, none of the complex Covenant politics and dynamics of Halo 2, and none of the sense of exploration and adventure of the original Halo. There was good story to be found within Halo 3, but it was buried in the Terminals. That's a compelling and well-told tale. The "main story" was hardly impressive."
    Love story?  No.  There is no lvoe story.  It's called chief is constantly becoming more machine from war and cortona becoming more human from it.  For example, the Ai she's suppose to be based on, those flash interruption things, everything she said was a quote from Dr. Hasely but with her twist.  She was essentially becoming a person, not a shadow of Hasely.

As far as the politics from Halo 2, they really only followed they sort of brought that to a conclusion.   The Elites on floodgate will talk about it quite a bit though when you meet up with them.   Halo really follows that from the Arbiter's point of view and MC's.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't understand why so many people think that when measured up to the stories of other videos games today, the story of Halo 3 is so bad. I thought it had a very good storyline.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Player1

Not that I'm really picky when it comes to games stories, but I liked this one. Its really cool to see it all lined up like this too...now you know what would be VERY cool? The cut scenes from all 3 games all lined up.

EDIT. Found them. If anyone is interested. In order from 1-3:

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

i thought the Halo story was lame. but i love it for its gameplay

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DerekDanahy

I have come to not care about the story of first person shooters. Even as I played Bioshock, which was pretty interesting, I just didn't care about what happened after half way.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

Seeing the graphical evolution in those three vids is really pretty cool.  And as far as the story, it does get convoluted, and it did get so in Halo 3 especially towards the end, and the whole business w/the Gravemind.  However, if you have read the novels, much of the story clicks and actually adds a new level of chartacter/player motivation.   The thing is Bungie makes games that are fun to play, not movies, and the continuity of the overarching story is hard to manage imo.  Anyway the books really add a lot, and they are very well written imo, and the universe they describe is very fleshed out and fairly plausible as far a sci-fi goes.  I can't wait to see how they approach Halo: Reach and stick to the novel or not.  The book reads like a script of a movie...very cool!  :)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

I think the story was interesting, but it wasn't portrayed as well as it could have been in Halo 3.  I found the last few levels to be really dissapointing, what with the overly striking resemblance to Halo 1.

Seeing Halo 1's video actually makes me a little depressed...reminds me of how awesomely groundbreaking the game was for it's day.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gloomytangent

I honestly think that it's quality really depends on what you're comparing it to. Since you said that it holds up as 'great sci-fi,' I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. You say that and you're bringing in absolutely amazing stories like Blade Runner, Ender's Game (the orgin of the Spartans is heavily inspired by this story), Neuromancer and hundreds of others. And compared to them, Halo is poorly written, derivative drivel. That said, due to Halo's massive popularity Bungie has been able to flesh out their story extremely well, thanks to all the novels, ARGs and so on. Most games don't get to do that, and I think that's why alot of people argue that it's a 'good story.' I would argue that it's not really high quality, but rather highly realized.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By atejas

Too many loose ends.
    What happened to Cortana's rampancy?
    How did the Gravemind fit inside In Amber Clad? From what we see, it's downright enormous.
    Why didn't we see any evidence of the Prophets in the original Halo?
    The Hunters sided with the Elites in 2, yet are fighting you in 3. Same with the Grunts.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @atejas said:
    "Too many loose ends.What happened to Cortana's rampancy?How did the Gravemind fit inside In Amber Clad? From what we see, it's downright enormous.Why didn't we see any evidence of the Prophets in the original Halo?The Hunters sided with the Elites in 2, yet are fighting you in 3. Same with the Grunts."
    She needed to talk to chief essentially.   Again, if you understand what those references were, it wasn't really her going crazy but becoming more human and filled with emotion.
    As for gravemind, dunno what your saying.  He was on the ship in Halo 2 and in Halo 3 the ship got taken down onto earth during the invasion (and there are multiple graveminds-- in halo 1 that's what keyes was forming into)
    Because you were doing operations on halo.  Halo 2 you really only knew him through the covenants side and then earth's invasion, which is where you saw him in 3.
    Grunts don't side with either, they'll fight whoever will protect them.  Hunters are just little worms that make up and act in unison.  I'd imagine they'd serve any side if utlized.  I do agree that they could have included them on the humans side in 3 though.

I think this is a perfect case of you just not being hugely familiar with the details of halo universe and not listening to details.  

I think the real question is whether or not the halo 1 legendary ending is canon or not.  If so, Johnson must be immortal, then he dies from guilty spark, lulz.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @Gamer_152 said:
    "I don't understand why so many people think that when measured up to the stories of other videos games today, the story of Halo 3 is so bad. I thought it had a very good storyline. "
    Frankly, I think it's because the majority of people are too stupid too understand plot. 
    Admittedly, the storytelling in Halo 3 is much less in your face than something like Half-Life.  Some people couldn't even tell you what Bioshock was about after the end of the game. 
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By breadfan
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    "I don't understand why so many people think that when measured up to the stories of other videos games today, the story of Halo 3 is so bad. I thought it had a very good storyline. "
    Frankly, I think it's because the majority of people are too stupid too understand plot. 
    No.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Ineedaname
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    Frankly, I think it's because the majority of people are too stupid too understand plot.  Admittedly, the storytelling in Halo 3 is much less in your face than something like Half-Life.  Some people couldn't even tell you what Bioshock was about after the end of the game.  "
    Your logic is flawed, Halo is 3 games that were released over a period of time, I find more realistic to say people don't fully understand that plot, I've not seen any posts on the forum saying people are too stupid to understand the Bioshock plot or asking about it, but you've made this Halo one, that says something to me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Br3adfan said:
    " @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " @Gamer_152 said:
    No. "
    Sort of.

Gamers are not movie critics, for they know how stories must told and how they must be structured. This is why I sort of find game critics to be rather vague when they state that a story "isn't interesting" or "is not well told", only play the game that they criticized and actually give good credit toward the game's story.
    sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sdauz
    @Br3adfan:

Dude i agree, halo's story has always been designed in a way that the 'Madden Crowd' can play it and not have their head explode and complex enough that those who care will find it deep and interesting. If u play halo and dont care about the story, u wont care about the story, u wont look for a story. Not all games need to be like MGS and bash u over the head with its plot....repeatedly and for 45mins straight.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

OH NOEZ! DUDE IS GOING TO DESTROY THE GALAXY WITH A HALO! LET'S STOP HIM! BUT HOW? LET'S GET A ROCK AND GIVE HIM A HELMET. HE'LL STOP THE BAD ALIENS. BUT WAIT! NOEZ! THERE'S AN EVIL ROBOT THAT BETRAYS YOU. HES LIKE THE SIZE OF R2D2, BUT THAT'S FINE. LET'S HAVE HIM BE THE FINAL BOSS.

Halo 3's story is complete garbage. There wasn't any point where I cared about any of the characters or what was going on.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @sdauz said:
    "@Br3adfan:

Dude i agree, halo's story has always been designed in a way that the 'Madden Crowd' can play it and not have their head explode and complex enough that those who care will find it deep and interesting. If u play halo and dont care about the story, u wont care about the story, u wont look for a story. Not all games need to be like MGS and bash u over the head with its plot....repeatedly and for 45mins straight.
    "
    Yep, basically.  If you don't want to listen, you can indeed get only "theres a war between the aliens and humans" and there's "some rings to destory the world" and "there's this flood stuff" and "a religious civil war/chaos in the alien world".

Lots of people probably don't even know who the forerunners are despite being such a big faction.  Usuaully people group it Covenant, Humans, and Flood and I say-- you mean covenant, humans, flood, and forerunners?  Granted, the humans are the descendants of the forerunners.   But still.  And you know, like who do you think the rings/ark are from. 

bungie was big on that with Marathon when I played through them quickly just because people compared it wiht halo.  In marathon you can completely ignore the story if you desire.  Granted, they don't use cutscenes at all but rather terminals, but that's a choice in design and technical limitation.

Halo 3: ODST is doing away with terminals as its in new mombasa (unless you do explore some forerunner stuff afterall) and opting for Audiologs.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By AgentJ

Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story. 

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gloomytangent
    @AgentJ said:
    " Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story.  "
    This is pretty much it. You keep saying that Halo 'doesn't hit you over the head with the story,' but the fact remains that it doesn't matter how many details you throw in when the core exposition is not well written.
    primehunter326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By primehunter326

Honestly my biggest issue with the way the story is presented in Halo 3 and to a lesser extent Halo 2 is that it tries too hard to be "epic".  This just has the effect of making it feel really lame.  A lot of this has to do with the music, while being good, never seems to fit the scene with all of the scores coming up at the wrong times.

At least the cutscenes were good.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jNerd

I've enjoyed Halo's story thoroughly throughout all the games, I think it's a lot stronger then most other FPS's (i.e. Gears of War)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK
    @Lies said:
    " I love Halo as much as the next guy Smug. But Halo 3's story was shit. "
    I have to agree with every word in lie's post. Hell i have a halo avatar

But really, halo 1 was mysterious, alien and exciting, halo 2 was the big unravelling, halo 3 was.... nothing.

You thought that when you got the cortana message about there being another way to sotp the flood through the mysterious portal that you were about to discover something entirely new to the halo universe, but it was just a supersize halo ring.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zereta

Halo 2 has the best story. Aside from the First encounter with the Flood, Halo CE's Story didn't really entice me much. Halo 3 is second in terms of story and in terms of the actual game with Halo CE taking best overall game in my book.

Its just that Halo 2 had such deep insight into the Covenant Political system.
    primehunter326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By primehunter326

Heh I didn't realize until after my post that I'd revived a dead topic

Anyways to add on to what I said before, I actually do like the halo universe.  The thing is that the games do a lousy job presenting the events that take place.  I agree that the first game had that kind of mysterious feeling to it as you played, it had a good atmosphere.  The problem is that unless you read the Fall of Reach, the plot seemed like a throwaway.  Halo 2 had the best story, it suffered from poor presentation to a lesser extent than halo 3 and there was lots of depth which made it interesting. 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I like the stories in all the Halo's, I think they tell a good tale.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn

The story they tell in the outside fiction might be the greatest thing ever.  It doesn't change the fact that the story told in the games is incomprehensible nonsense that's terrible.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bubahula

i thought that the story was well fitting with the end of a loved trilogy

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

As science fiction, the Halo story is pretty ordinary. It hearkens back to the pulps of the thirties and such classics as E.E. (Doc) Smith's Lensman Series (excellent material for a game of it's own, by the way) and Edmond Hamilton's Captain Future.  Even so, it has ten times the story of your average non-japanese game, and that, combine with excellent voice acting and endearing characters--along with the novelizations, has made it an epic that has captivated it's fans for years. Unfortunately the single player experience and the story, took a definite back seat to the online multi-player part of the game, after Halo 2, and the trend culminated in a distinctly brief and painfully truncated single-player conclusion to the story in Halo 3. One can only dream about what the game COULD have been, had less resouces been, in this writer's opinion at least, squandered on the multiplayer aspect.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By imhuntad

I have a decent mindset I use while watching Sci Fi, as well as for Anime, but Halo's story just didn't overly impress me. In fact, sadly, it didn't do much to pull me in at all. The cortana story arc/line/whatever could have been really great, if it didn't intrude on the gameplay soooo much. The story about the covenant 'teaming' up with the humans to defeat the flood was alright, but I wish more was placed in the first game to at least hint at it. Overall though, It's a decent story and a great game.

On the youtube video itself, I love when users submit whole collections of cutscenes from games like that. Nice!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meowayne
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @AgentJ said:
    " Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story.  "
    Sorry, but no.  I'd easily take Halo's over Fallout 3's.  Obviously a book is going to have a better story, but in that case I'd recommend the Halo novels.  They really go into the backstory and explain a lot more of the universe.  I have to admit, when I first played Halo, I didn't think much of it, but it's very easy to get caught up in the universe.  The overall plot just works well and the characters are compelling enough to carry it.  I'm looking forward to ODST, because it's always great to see it from another perspective.

Halo will always have its haters, I guess.  But I just tend to laugh, it's clear when they have no idea what they're talking about.  Yes, I'm looking at you Meowayne.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Meowayne

WinterSnowblind, I have played all Halo games. I don't hate them. I still play Halo 3 once in a while.  I've had a blast with 3's campaign in 3-player Co-Op. The Halos are good, worthwhile FPS games.

But anyone who has anything positive to say about Halo 3's story, plot, writing or execution needs help. Badly.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#46  Edited By AgentJ
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    Sorry, but no.  I'd easily take Halo's over Fallout 3's.  Obviously a book is going to have a better story, but in that case I'd recommend the Halo novels.  They really go into the backstory and explain a lot more of the universe.  I have to admit, when I first played Halo, I didn't think much of it, but it's very easy to get caught up in the universe.  The overall plot just works well and the characters are compelling enough to carry it.  I'm looking forward to ODST, because it's always great to see it from another perspective.

Halo will always have its haters, I guess.  But I just tend to laugh, it's clear when they have no idea what they're talking about.  Yes, I'm looking at you Meowayne.
    "
    I haven't read the books, but going on just the game itself (i did say "Play", not "read" Halo), there are few quality games whose stories are worse than halo. If you have to read a seperate book to get a full experience out of it, then something is very wrong. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WinterSnowblind

You don't need to have read the books to get anything out of the story, I was just saying they expand on it and help flesh out the universe.

@Meowayne said:

" WinterSnowblind, I have played all Halo games. I don't hate them. I still play Halo 3 once in a while.  I've had a blast with 3's campaign in 3-player Co-Op. The Halos are good, worthwhile FPS games.But anyone who has anything positive to say about Halo 3's story, plot, writing or execution needs help. Badly. "

Inwhich case, I'll assume you've never played any of the Halo games.  There may not be anything overly complex about the Halo story, and it doesn't at any point deteriote into a sappy love story, but that's what I've always liked about it.  If you'd rather play something like Final Fantasy, that's much more story centric, than go ahead.  But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Halo's.  Infact, I have to comend them for being able to create such a diverse universe and characters in the games, without having to resort to hours upon hours of dialogue, ala Metal Gear Solid.  And yes, the story, plot, writting and execution of MGS is well below that of Halo.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Meowayne

You define the quality of story and storytelling by the number and nature of plot elements and actors. That's very cool. See ya then.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
    @AgentJ said:
    "Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story.  "

Fallout 3 has a story? Really? Damn! I must have missed it. Fun to play, though.
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vecta
    @AgentJ said:
    So wait, Saving the wasteland by purifying water sounds pretty epic, right?

My favourite authors are sci-fi writers like Assimov, Baxter and Clarke and I love the Halo story and have yet to read a single Halo book.  Don't instantly dismiss a story just because you went into the game with a predisposition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.