Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Mythic Map Pack- new Sandbox info and marketplace release window

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies

Bungie's taken the lid off of the last details of the Mythic Map Pack for Halo 3. If you don't know, the Mythic Map pack will be included with all copies of the Halo Wars Collectors Edition, starting this March with the game's release.

They will not be available immediately on marketplace. However, in the latest Bungie Update (This is where it gets nerdy folks), we got this little nugget:

After Halo Wars LCE hits retailers, your wait won't be too much longer than the span of time between the Gettysburg's departure for Earth to warn of the Covenant invasion and Regret's slipspace jump out of the skies above New Mombasa.  Afterwards, you'll be able to plunk down 800 Marketplace Points for your very own copy of the Mythic Map Pack for Halo 3.
    Gettysburg- mentioned in Ghosts Of Onyx, leaves September 13th, 2552. Regret leaves New Mombasa October 20th, 2552 after the conclusion of the Halo 2 level Metropolis.

So: Expect Mythic on the Marketplace about six weeks after the launch of Halo Wars. Roughly Mid-April. Barring further Microsoft shenanigans.

Of course, in addition to that, Bungie revealed the last few secrets of Sandbox, their new Forge map. It's an outdoor desert Forge paradise. It includes many new Forge objects, and has a huge budget for placing and re-arranging things. Like Foundry, there is no static geometry- everything can be moved or removed. However, three things take Sandbox above the level of Foundry.
    1. The grid- This is simply a blue grid that appears on the map in Forge mode to make lining up objects easier.
    2. The killball- A dome shaped object which can be placed anywhere on the map and will instantly kill anything that enters the perimeter. Could allow for some interesting gametypes.
    3. The skybubble- This is the gem. Essentially, in addition to Sandbox's basic plane- the Desert floor- there is a second tier, WAY high up in the sky. Buildings and structures can be placed up on the second tier, and anyone who jumps off will die. This makes it easier for forgers to recreate "floating" maps like Ascension and Lockout. The Sky Bubble also makes it so you don't have to waste resources boxing in a certain section of the level, as if a player steps off the path, they'll fall to their death. Fire can be traded between the two tiers of the map as well- for example, a guy with a sniper rifle in the sky could kill dudes on the desert floor. Still not getting it? IGN has your back. (I also put some pictures below demonstrating the killbox and sky bubble)

Here are some pictures:

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Halo 3 looks fucking awesome all over again.
    WANT.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

that's cool stuff.  except the part about having to wait for it to come on the market place.  screw you halo wars!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have always stayed faithful to Halo, even amongst the throngs of dissenters. 

It is about time that faith is rewarded.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Where is Smug to comment on this?  lol

I gotta say that I like that Sandbox map.  It makes me think of Q3A!
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lies

Okay I totally resized those pics. Sorry they're cut off. GB is being all glitchy like.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Fosssil

I can't wait to see some of the awesome maps that people come up with. Hopefully someone makes a superior re-make of Lockout, since Blackout is a huge disappointment.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TomA

yay Halo

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

6 weeks!? What the heck?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lies

Oh man. Looks like Sandbox has a third tier underground.

There's a hole in the heatmap for the desert floor, and someone over on HBO dug up this image, which appears to be a heatmap for the smaller underground section. Several other clues corroborate this, but I won't go into them.

Man this map just keeps getting better and better.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The underground part is there for Griffball matches and what not.

I love Bungie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just as a heads-up:

There's a video-walkthrough of the maps on the Xbox Dashboard.  Sandbox looks cool, but I'm not quite sold on them.  Not the maps' fault, really, just that I've seriously lessened my Halo play-time.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love the way it looks, but I probably won't buy it. I have bought all of the other map packs and never play them. Maybe this will make me, perhaps.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Player1

God dammit. I want these maps...but not that much. Plus they are esscially charging you 20 dollars for them. The limited editon cost 80$

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Player1 said:
    "God dammit. I want these maps...but not that much. Plus they are esscially charging you 20 dollars for them. The limited editon cost 80$"
    I enjoyed the Halo Wars demo, but there is no way I'm forking over that much for the game and some Halo 3 maps.  Absolutely no deal, Howie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.