Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Tips

DxSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DxSwag

My friend is amazing at halo 3 and it makes me depressed when I play with him because I can't really help him out that much and he gets aggravated.

So does anyone have any tips on how to get better at this game, besides play alot?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

BR to the head. 

Best advice you can get.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Coltonio7

You gotta shoot 'em in the head.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

grenades exploding near you are bad.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Protip : Shoot it until it dies

There's actually a lot of strategy you can use in Halo.  There's a lot of stuff like knowing when to melee and when not to, but most of it you'll have to play, because if you're thinking in battle it's probably too slow.

DxSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DxSwag

I understand about the aiming to the head, but it gets so hard sometimes.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

Teamwork is everything. How garbage or how good you are really doesn't matter much if you call out, play as a team, consider what your teammates are doing and do EVERYTHING possible to help each other out. I play with BTB groups and while many are not very good with a BR they don't need to be, purely because they're untouchable to the uncoordinated.

Here's a prime example: link

gold bars agains generals, you would think it would be no contest. It wasn't only, not in the way you were expecting. Again only because we were able to move our tank behind their spawns. I got a perfection. Being good doesn't matter, being smart does. Unless of course you're playing some garbage playlist like TS.

And we won 18 games in a row then.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Fosssil

It's hard to give general purpose tips for Halo 3, because of the sheer variety of different maps and gametypes. Unless you provide some details of specific problems you're having, or post some links to some File Share films for me to look over and critique, then these are the best pieces of advice I can give:

-Try to learn the common map call-outs, and communicate as frequently as you can with your teammates. At the very least, learn to say "Weak/1-shot on my X" so that your teammates can clean up the kills that you can't finish. FYI: A player is "Weak" when their shields are lowered a good bit but not completely gone, and "1-shot" when their shields are completely gone and they can be killed with one BR/Carbine shot to the head.

-I'm sure plenty of people are going to sarcastically recommend that you just practice with the BR as a way of mocking the "hardcore" Halo players who swear by the weapon, but it really is the most versatile gun in the game. Both it and the Carbine are useful in almost every situation, and while it isn't necessary to have a perfect 4-shot like the pros, it is useful to be skilled enough with the gun to help with your teamshot and rack up some assists. Lead your targets over long distances. 

-If you notice yourself dying a lot, stop rushing into needlessly dangerous scenarios. Sometimes it's best to hang back from the frontlines and support your teammates from long-range by throwing nades and BRing, rather than rushing in spraying your AR needlessly while hoping to stumble across a lucky kill or two. 

-If you're playing with teammates who are more skilled than you, then don't pick up the important weapons unless you have to keep them away from the other team. Readily offer up your Sniper or Rockets to better teammates who can put them to better use than you can.

I have plenty of other tips depending on the gametype or playlist that you're playing, so feel free to ask questions about specific scenarios if you want.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK
    @Diamond said:
    " Protip : Shoot it until it dies  There's actually a lot of strategy you can use in Halo.  There's a lot of stuff like knowing when to melee and when not to, but most of it you'll have to play, because if you're thinking in battle it's probably too slow. "
    nonsense
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zyn

Run away from any bad people who have swords.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Griddler
    @ArchScabby said:
    " BR to the head.   Best advice you can get. "
    This.. Gets me loaaddsss of kills
    DxSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DxSwag

Alright, my problem is that when I am in a BR battle with somebody, I always get them to the point where they are one-shot and then I die. They always seem to get that last shot off before I do. It drives me nuts.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK
    @DxSwag said:

" Alright, my problem is that when I am in a BR battle with somebody, I always get them to the point where they are one-shot and then I die. They always seem to get that last shot off before I do. It drives me nuts. "

Don't get into BR battles. Problem solved. They are essentially a toss up anyway. Again use your brains, and either A) get up close with superior weaponry (not the best tactic as your shields could always end up depleted in a double melee. but probably the most fun) B) team shoot in greater numbers (the most crucialest thing ever) or C) be in a hog (The best solution of the 3.  Invincible killionaire gauss perfections ftw)
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman

You need to understand what Halo is about:
    ***Not my words but from someone who knows**** 

Map control, Weapon/Power up/Equipment control, Communication, teamwork, and strategy.

Examples:
    Don't rush Rockets if they spawned by Overshield in Epilogue. Don't grab invisibility and sniper after losing 3 games of Team Snipers in a row, let your teammate grab it if you aren't going to use it well.

COMMUNICATE. If they got rockets, say it before your teammates get blown to smitherines. If you see 2 guys going their green, you say it and alert your teammates so they have information earlier and can deal with it better.

Find people you can play with who are reliable. It'll be hard getting to the 30's with randoms. I'm a 45 in Doubles right now and I have to constantly deal with teammates who are busy in chats or who simply don't feel the need to get their mic. And of course, delevelers are always an issue.

And also, just learn from bad days and bad games. Don't get pissed or think you suck, it happens to the best of us.

Other tips:

* Lead your shots with your BR. if somoene is strafing to the right, have the cross hair a bit more to the right then their head when you shoot. There is BR spread, meaning the bullets spread upon a distance, so doing this makes all the shots hit more of the time and you get a faster kill.

* Practice headshots and stuff, go for them. But don't do it if you are unsure. Always be sure. Its the same principle for no scopes, shooting randomly and crossing your fingers won't do a damn thing. But go in, get that reticle over the head, and give that dome hell, without the scope.

* Practice!!! Learn strategies! Before a game starts, get the "wats up" and "hey" out of the way. Talk about what you want to do, if you want to veto or not. And then whatever you do, try to communicate and tell the teammates what you plan on doing. On Guardian I'll immediately say "I'll go invis wherever we spawn" or on Cold Storage I'll say "No matter where we spawn let me get the power up and go Rockets". And when teh game starts, its clear what I'm doing and what my teammates are doing.

* Feed information. Again, its important. And most importantly, stay consistent, don't be a good teammate only for 1/2 the match and get all quiet around the end, or vice versa

* Go for power weapons. Don't rely on your AR. Your mission when you spawn is to get another weapon as quickly as possible, preferably a Carbine, BR, Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Laser, I don't give a ****, just something else, lol.

* Don't worry about hogging weapons or "Whoring" them. I personally rarely use Rockets or Shotty, but I'll make sure my teammate has it, or my enemy doesn't. Remember, if you don't use it, they will.

Otherwise there is not much else I can say. Good luck dude, its not a hard game to get that good at, it just takes practice, dedication, and understanding. When I was a 21 I pretty much played the game for pure fun purposes. Like just joining a BTB match and yelling at other people. But when you actually care about progressing and leveling up, understand that its much more competitive. Do that, and I'm sure you'll hit the 30's and maybe even the 40's if you are dedicated enough.      

*****Most informative post on improving at Halo 3 I've ever read.  Credit to Z-Tahir1.*****
    DxSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DxSwag

Well I had the game a long time ago, probably around the time COD 4: Modern Warfare came out. I used to be pretty good, I had a 42 in lone wolves and a 41 in team slayer. Then I stopped playing for a about a year and a half because my Xbox got the ring of death. When I finally started playing Halo again like a week ago it felt so new to me, I had no idea what I was doing.

Also, I was a huge GoW player until GOW 2 came out and ruined the game. (but that's a discussion for another time. lol) So maybe that has something to do with me not being able to adjust to Halo. Idk, but thanks for the tips and advice guys. I will take all of them into consideration.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK
    @pweidman said:
    "
    You need to understand what Halo is about:
    ***Not my words but from someone who knows**** 

Map control, Weapon/Power up/Equipment control, Communication, teamwork, and strategy.

Examples:
    Don't rush Rockets if they spawned by Overshield in Epilogue. Don't grab invisibility and sniper after losing 3 games of Team Snipers in a row, let your teammate grab it if you aren't going to use it well.

COMMUNICATE. If they got rockets, say it before your teammates get blown to smitherines. If you see 2 guys going their green, you say it and alert your teammates so they have information earlier and can deal with it better.

Find people you can play with who are reliable. It'll be hard getting to the 30's with randoms. I'm a 45 in Doubles right now and I have to constantly deal with teammates who are busy in chats or who simply don't feel the need to get their mic. And of course, delevelers are always an issue.

And also, just learn from bad days and bad games. Don't get pissed or think you suck, it happens to the best of us.

Other tips:

* Lead your shots with your BR. if somoene is strafing to the right, have the cross hair a bit more to the right then their head when you shoot. There is BR spread, meaning the bullets spread upon a distance, so doing this makes all the shots hit more of the time and you get a faster kill.

* Practice headshots and stuff, go for them. But don't do it if you are unsure. Always be sure. Its the same principle for no scopes, shooting randomly and crossing your fingers won't do a damn thing. But go in, get that reticle over the head, and give that dome hell, without the scope. * Practice!!! Learn strategies! Before a game starts, get the "wats up" and "hey" out of the way. Talk about what you want to do, if you want to veto or not. And then whatever you do, try to communicate and tell the teammates what you plan on doing. On Guardian I'll immediately say "I'll go invis wherever we spawn" or on Cold Storage I'll say "No matter where we spawn let me get the power up and go Rockets". And when teh game starts, its clear what I'm doing and what my teammates are doing.* Feed information. Again, its important. And most importantly, stay consistent, don't be a good teammate only for 1/2 the match and get all quiet around the end, or vice versa* Go for power weapons. Don't rely on your AR. Your mission when you spawn is to get another weapon as quickly as possible, preferably a Carbine, BR, Sniper, Rocket Launcher, Laser, I don't give a ****, just something else, lol.* Don't worry about hogging weapons or "Whoring" them. I personally rarely use Rockets or Shotty, but I'll make sure my teammate has it, or my enemy doesn't. Remember, if you don't use it, they will.Otherwise there is not much else I can say. Good luck dude, its not a hard game to get that good at, it just takes practice, dedication, and understanding. When I was a 21 I pretty much played the game for pure fun purposes. Like just joining a BTB match and yelling at other people. But when you actually care about progressing and leveling up, understand that its much more competitive. Do that, and I'm sure you'll hit the 30's and maybe even the 40's if you are dedicated enough.       *****Most informative post on improving at Halo 3 I've ever read.  Credit to Z-Tahir1.***** "
    *don't play doubles
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Fosssil
    @DxSwag said:
    " Alright, my problem is that when I am in a BR battle with somebody, I always get them to the point where they are one-shot and then I die. They always seem to get that last shot off before I do. It drives me nuts. "
    In that case, try changing up your strafe pattern. Save your Jump Strafes only for the very end of a BR fight (make it a Gandhi Hop for maximum effectiveness), as those are actually a lot easier to account for than a ground-based, side-to-side strafe.
    SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SUBL1ME

The biggest problem with Halo 3 is too many good players smurf. You can't just start out at low level and slowly work your way up playing people around your skill because all the good people make new GamerTags specifically for Halo 3 so they can reset their level. I made a new GT because I wanted to make a new one and I thought it was going to be a blessing starting over in Halo 3 because I hadn't played in over a year and playing on my old account where I was in the 30's or 40's was futile. Ended up it was worse starting at 1, I've been playing for a month or two and my highest skill is 7 for crying out loud. And I love it when I look at my competition and people have like 55 gamer score total but play like they havn't put the game down since 2007. 

Even though I made a new GT because my old one was a shared one with a roommate I kind of wish you could not make a new account. Have GTs require more specific information and reject new accounts from existing players because what is going on is for lack of a better word, cheating. Blizzard has the right idea with forcing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 players to only have one account locked to their CD-Keys so they can't do this exact thing. Perhaps have GTs locked to console serial numbers and if you get a new console you can edit your account on xbox.com or something. This is I believe the biggest problem with Halo 3. New players are not able to enjoy the game at their pace or be able to slowly get better, they're thrust in with people who are level 50 masking as level 5.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
    @SUBL1ME said:

" The biggest problem with Halo 3 is too many good players smurf. You can't just start out at low level and slowly work your way up playing people around your skill because all the good people make new GamerTags specifically for Halo 3 so they can reset their level. I made a new GT because I wanted to make a new one and I thought it was going to be a blessing starting over in Halo 3 because I hadn't played in over a year and playing on my old account where I was in the 30's or 40's was futile. Ended up it was worse starting at 1, I've been playing for a month or two and my highest skill is 7 for crying out loud. And I love it when I look at my competition and people have like 55 gamer score total but play like they havn't put the game down since 2007.   Even though I made a new GT because my old one was a shared one with a roommate I kind of wish you could not make a new account. Have GTs require more specific information and reject new accounts from existing players because what is going on is for lack of a better word, cheating. Blizzard has the right idea with forcing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 players to only have one account locked to their CD-Keys so they can't do this exact thing. Perhaps have GTs locked to console serial numbers and if you get a new console you can edit your account on xbox.com or something. This is I believe the biggest problem with Halo 3. New players are not able to enjoy the game at their pace or be able to slowly get better, they're thrust in with people who are level 50 masking as level 5. "

simple fix: Don't play ranked. And as stupid as it think 2nd accounts are, bungie basically told everyone to get over it in some weekly update or other ages ago. And besides, other games don't even have the whole trueskill/MM thing but nobody seems to be bothered about that

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.