Who still plays?

#1 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

I just picked it up again and am gonna pick up ODST soon. Was looking for some peeps to play some custom games, fart around in forge, matchmaking, etc. Anybody still play?

#2 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

I play every once in a while. It's hard to go back to, after having played Call of Duty so much in the last few months. Though, after watching the Xboxalypse, I've wanted to make a charge back into it.

#3 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

I never really used to play anything but matchmaking, but when I did rarely play a custom game it was fun as heck.Really looking forward into doing it again sometime.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'll probably go back to it now that Halo 2 is gone forever. I gotta get it back from my cousin, though. I didn't have Xbox Live for almost a year, so I let him borrow it, and he still has it.

#5 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

My sister plays Halo 3 a lot on my account.  I'm waiting for the Halo: Reach beta.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I still play, unfortunately the port-blocking at my university halls means I can't actually party up with anyone in-game here.

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I bought it, played about 45 minutes, got terribly bored and remembered what I didn't like about Halo and Halo 2.  I gave it a try, but geez, I just don't get it.

#8 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

*Raises Hand*

#9 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -
@oldschool said:

" I bought it, played about 45 minutes, got terribly bored and remembered what I didn't like about Halo and Halo 2.  I gave it a try, but geez, I just don't get it. "

Ya, I hear that a lot. Seems like it's a hit-or-miss kind of game. I personally like the feel of it - the low gravity, jumping everywhere, throwing grenades while jumping backwards 6 feet in the air. Just something satisfying about that haha. And it's different. Not like your typical FPS, a la COD, Battlefield (Although I love me some BF:BC2). Not to mention the level of replayability (spelling?) with forge, the theater, etc. Someone like me would never get bored lol. 

@Gamer_152
said:
"

I still play, unfortunately the port-blocking at my university halls means I can't actually party up with anyone in-game here.

"
If your're pretty competent at networking, take a look at this. 
http://www.debuntu.org/2006/04/08/22-ssh-and-port-forwarding-or-how-to-get-through-a-firewall  

I did a quick read through and it seems like that would work, but it's still a little out of my understanding. That;s on Linux though. It should work the sae for Windows. If I figure anything out I'll be sure to let you know.  

Hmm, I wonder if there's a good book on networking. 
#10 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@cjmabry said:
" @oldschool said:

" I bought it, played about 45 minutes, got terribly bored and remembered what I didn't like about Halo and Halo 2.  I gave it a try, but geez, I just don't get it. "

Ya, I hear that a lot. Seems like it's a hit-or-miss kind of game. I personally like the feel of it - the low gravity, jumping everywhere, throwing grenades while jumping backwards 6 feet in the air. Just something satisfying about that haha. And it's different. Not like your typical FPS, a la COD, Battlefield (Although I love me some BF:BC2). Not to mention the level of replayability (spelling?) with forge, the theater, etc. Someone like me would never get bored lol."
To be completely fair, I am sure Halo are good games, but I don't like FPS as a rule, mainly because I get severe motion sickness if I play for very long.  3rd person perspective helps me a lot.  If the game is really good, I may persist, but from memory, only Bioshock has interested me enough to continue.  Halo did not engage me at all.
#11 Posted by ProjektGill (752 posts) -

I still play Halo whenever my friends get online. They are still pretty hardcore about it but I just like to sit back and crack jokes while they go crazy calling out locations. Funny how I manage to still keep up with them score wise.

#12 Posted by benitobb (291 posts) -

I was just thinking this because the numbers of GB users went up ever since Halo 2 shut down, and Halo 3 is always in the top 10 here.  I loved it until maybe a year ago, but not because anything replaced it, just friends getting married and the rest of us finishing up college, but I love how it's still an active online community, not like Gears of War 1 or 2.  people can hate all they want, but Halo 3 was and likely is still hella fun for quick competetive  online play.  It's likely the last of its kind, at least the last great one, since even Reach is going the persistant upgrade route of Modern Warfare and Bad Company 2.
#13 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

I actually never really played Halo in the first place.

#14 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -
@ProjektGill said:
" I still play Halo whenever my friends get online. They are still pretty hardcore about it but I just like to sit back and crack jokes while they go crazy calling out locations. Funny how I manage to still keep up with them score wise. "
Ha. I remember I played a tournament on this website cuz the guy needed a partner, and he spent like 5 minutes before the tourny started teaching me all the location names and what to do. Needless to say I played terrible, and we ended up losing cuz I got like 7 kills. Was one of the funnest moments I've ever had playing a videogame though because of all of the strategy that was involved that I had no idea about. It was chaotic, him yelling out locations and telling me what to do, me panicking and trying just not to do so he could get us the win.  

There's something satisfying about getting serious over a game and really stratagizing for the win, regardless of the outcome.
#15 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

Yah and I don't know why.  I've played like 1200 social games, 2500 ranked games, and 1300 custom games.  At about 15 mins. a game I've played around 1200hrs and I'm still playing a little.

#16 Posted by Trilogy (2649 posts) -

I popped in halo 3 the other night after getting utterly destroyed in modern warfare 2. I was so sick of getting chain killed by killstreaks that I needed a change of pace. I jumped into a game of swat and went 20-9. Not bad for not playing in about a year. That's the great thing about halo for me...it's like riding a bike. I'm not trying to gloat or anything but I just find it funny that I can't seem to grasp not getting annihilated in MW2 but I can always go back to halo and do well.

#17 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

I just bought it again from Gamefly in prep for the Reach beta, and also cause I played the shit out of Halo 2 before it ended and I'm lookin to give halo 3 multi another run....It didn't have the same magic H2 did for me for some reason.
#18 Posted by Redbullet685 (6035 posts) -

Bought Odst yesterday. Kind of because of the Reach Beta, but I'm going through the campaign and love the multiplayer, so yeah, I do play

#19 Posted by thejamster (263 posts) -

i play a couple times a week cause halo is the only game my bro will play with me

#20 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Now with all the Reach business going on I've played some this week. I'd love to see a custom-game bombing run set up.
#21 Posted by EVO (3893 posts) -

I finally bought a 360 the other day, so Halo 3 has been getting lots of playtime. I've been getting my ass handed to me, but it's nowhere near as frustrating as Call of Duty.

#22 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I was thinking of starting playing this properly now I've come to my senses and realise I hate MW2's online.

#23 Posted by veronicaXnerdd (15 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" I was thinking of starting playing this properly now I've come to my senses and realise I hate MW2's online. "
*hug*
#24 Posted by Wes899 (2108 posts) -

Me and friends do constantly.

#25 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I started back at it what with all this reach info coming out and am doing OK at it.

#26 Posted by RedneckedCrake (311 posts) -

Yeah I play custom games whenever my buds come over. I also like to get on once in awhile and play but not really all that often anymore.

#27 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

I've started really getting back into it, but that's mostly because of Halo: Reach coming out. I've got two achievements in the multiplayer sitting, waiting to be completed, but I doubt they ever will. Exterimation and Perfection? Pfft. I'm not that good.

ODST I put in a few times to play some Firefight, but I've got a lot to do in that as well, including Endure and the other Vidmaster. I have been in the very last wave to complete Endure 3 times now, and fail at the very last minute. It sucks.

I've been playing, uploading clips and rendering them this past week. It's a really nice system, great since I don't have a capture card or good enough computer (yet) and I can just upload a few small clips to YouTube.

#28 Posted by Jackel2072 (2254 posts) -

as a person who has played COD for oh i dont know? the last 3 or 4 years strait i started to get kind of sick of it. Im not jumping on the I hate MW2 bandwagon. i just needed a change. So i went back to Halo last week and am remembering why i played so much of that game back in the day. Its kind of like Quake for a new generation. Even you get what the games doing or you don’t. Im glad I came back to it and you know what? Action Sack is fucking awesome I love doge ball =)

#29 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I've played some today, and I'm having a blast. It really reminded me why I adore Halo like I do. It's just fun. It's a shame no one on my friends list play custom games for me to join.

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Assholes ?   lol j/k 

Why the hell does Halo have its own quest? thats fuckin lame.

#31 Posted by Defias (169 posts) -

Not so much but as of late due to hype from reach I picked it up a few times.

#32 Posted by xDARKxKnight (91 posts) -

I picked up another copy of Halo 3 a couple of days ago, just so i can play now and again. Its nice to have a break from COD and BC2 etc.

#33 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

every day.

#34 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" every day. "
QFT. You think it gets boring, then you enter a completely different playlist like multi team or snipers and suddenly it isn't.
#35 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@crunchUK said:
" @Agent47CSim2 said:
" every day. "
QFT. You think it gets boring, then you enter a completely different playlist like multi team or snipers and suddenly it isn't. "
Yeah, every match is different and doesn't become repetitive, like other games where you always go to the same spot or do the same things every match.
#36 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @Agent47CSim2 said:
" every day. "
QFT. You think it gets boring, then you enter a completely different playlist like multi team or snipers and suddenly it isn't. "
Yeah, every match is different and doesn't become repetitive, like other games where you always go to the same spot or do the same things every match. "
This is probably why halo 3 is so good. no 2 games of valhalla CTF are the same. Your enemies will always play differently, so will your teammates, and the game will change accordingly eveery time. And so will your play style.
#37 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -
Well, ever since Halo 2 died, Halo 3 has been my go-to.  I don't really play on a daily basis but I play usually two to three times a week.
#38 Posted by swamplord666 (1758 posts) -

in terms of online I don't play halo 3. basically for games I go to first to last for online is Bad Company 2>Uncharted 2> TF2>Halo 3 at least at the moment...

#39 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1113 posts) -

I'll start playing it again when I get ODST for the Reach beta and whatnot.

#40 Posted by lilman1101 (1063 posts) -

Lots of people still play.

#41 Posted by MystDragon3k (123 posts) -

I don't actively play, but if you send me an invite, Id come join you. GT is MystDragon3k

#42 Posted by DraftDodger (29 posts) -

I would if I still had it. My copy vanished months ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.