Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Why do gamers still hate Halo?

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jagt707
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

Everyone I know think they are great games. I think people just like to jump on the bandwagon and the internet is full with stupid fanboys and other vermin.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jagt707
    Gargantuan said:
    "Everyone I know think they are great games. I think people just like to jump on the bandwagon and the internet is full with stupid fanboys and other vermin."
    Meaning that anything that isn't MGS, Half-Life, COD 4, or anime looking is overrated to most internet creatures right?

Hell a lot of gamers are bashing Little Big Planet now.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Snipzor

Well I can't even name something it did that was truly groundbreaking, but that's just me. But the reason people mock Halo is because there isn't much to it besides multiplayer, that's it. You bring up Goldeneye as overrated. I will tell you why you are wrong there. Goldeneye revolutionized console shooters and if it were not for goldeneye, probably would not have played the Halo you know, plus remember, Goldeneye was YEARS before Halo. Graphics and AI mean jackshit when you compare a game of the N64 era to the Xbox era.

Come back when you understand the gaming significance of Goldeneye.
    lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By lebkin
    Gargantuan said:
    I think people just like to jump on the bandwagon and the internet is full with stupid fanboys and other vermin."
    There are always two bandwagon waves when it comes to anything popular, be it movies, music, or video games.  The first group all love something because it is popular.  This is followed by a second group who simply hate something because its popular.  Neither are worth listening to, because neither group is generally behaving rationally.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By suneku

As many people I've seen hate on Halo, I've seen the exact same amount that defends it. Same goes for pretty much every other popular game out there.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jagt707
    Snipzor said:
    "Well I can't even name something it did that was truly groundbreaking, but that's just me. But the reason people mock Halo is because there isn't much to it besides multiplayer, that's it. You bring up Goldeneye as overrated. I will tell you why you are wrong there. Goldeneye revolutionized console shooters and if it were not for goldeneye, probably would not have played the Halo you know, plus remember, Goldeneye was YEARS before Halo. Graphics and AI mean jackshit when you compare a game of the N64 era to the Xbox era.

"
    Dude, Turok was released before Goldeneye 007 and used the same exact control scheme but Goldeneye was an improvement. Sure Goldeneye was the first FPS to popularize the genre to the console market but it was still inferior to most PC shooters.

Plus, there hasn't been a single revolutionary shooter since Jurassic Park Trespasser. The last innovative first-person shooter that camed out was Boiling Point {a ambitious but buggy as fuck game} and well... that's it. Half-Life is a supeior series than the Halo trilogy but it's not revolutionary considering Trespasser did EVERYTHING Half-Life supposedly innovated, but the difference was that Half-Life was good and Trespasser was an outright bad game.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I enjoy halo, but I've just never seen what's special about it. It's fun, but nothing stands out from it as spectacular. It's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. There's plenty right with it. There's just nothing great about it. It's fun, but I don't see why it's got this huge following that it has.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Snipzor
    jagt707 said:
    "Snipzor said:
    "Well I can't even name something it did that was truly groundbreaking, but that's just me. But the reason people mock Halo is because there isn't much to it besides multiplayer, that's it. You bring up Goldeneye as overrated. I will tell you why you are wrong there. Goldeneye revolutionized console shooters and if it were not for goldeneye, probably would not have played the Halo you know, plus remember, Goldeneye was YEARS before Halo. Graphics and AI mean jackshit when you compare a game of the N64 era to the Xbox era.

"
    Dude, Turok was released before Goldeneye 007 and used the same exact control scheme but Goldeneye was an improvement. Sure Goldeneye was the first FPS to popularize the genre to the console market but it was still inferior to most PC shooters.

Plus, there hasn't been a single revolutionary shooter since Jurassic Park Trespasser. The last innovative first-person shooter that camed out was Boiling Point {a ambitious but buggy as fuck game} and well... that's it. Half-Life is a supeior series than the Halo trilogy but it's not revolutionary considering Trespasser did EVERYTHING Half-Life supposedly innovated, but the difference was that Half-Life was good and Trespasser was an outright bad game."
    Well know that you can never in any way compare a "Keyboard/Mouse" shooter to either a single analog game or a dual analog game, can't be done.
    Know that there were problems with Turok, it was a platformer. Not any regular platformer, but a hard first person platformer with shooting, that is why it lacked a large fanbase. Goldeneye took a simple concept, you have a gun, you can kill people. It is simple, and dammit, those controls were amazing for a single analog controller. Same goes for Perfect Dark.

Also Trespasser sucked because of the controls and it was buggy as hell. They released an unfinished game, and people don't like that.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gameboi

Not everyone does. I think they are fantastic games, and well worth playing through.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

Gamers don't hate Halo.  Assholes hate Halo

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jagt707
    Snipzor said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Snipzor said:

"

Plus, there hasn't been a single revolutionary shooter since Jurassic Park Trespasser. The last innovative first-person shooter that camed out was Boiling Point {a ambitious but buggy as fuck game} and well... that's it. Half-Life is a supeior series than the Halo trilogy but it's not revolutionary considering Trespasser did EVERYTHING Half-Life supposedly innovated, but the difference was that Half-Life was good and Trespasser was an outright bad game."
    Well know that you can never in any way compare a "Keyboard/Mouse" shooter to either a single analog game or a dual analog game, can't be done.
    Know that there were problems with Turok, it was a platformer. Not any regular platformer, but a hard first person platformer with shooting, that is why it lacked a large fanbase. Goldeneye took a simple concept, you have a gun, you can kill people. It is simple, and dammit, those controls were amazing for a single analog controller. Same goes for Perfect Dark.

Also Trespasser sucked because of the controls and it was buggy as hell. They released an unfinished game, and people don't like that.
    "

Yeah I know Trespasser was rushed, everyone knew it because the game was way too ambitious for it's time. Goldeneye 007 wasn't just all shoot everything on sight gameplay, it had mission objectives but the original System Shock and Marathon did that first.
    Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I like playing Halo against people I know but not so much against people I don't.

It's a good game for multiplayer but for single player, it's nothing special.

I can imagine the people that hate on Halo are the people who don't have anybody to play it with.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By shadows_kill

there are people bashing killzone 2 and it hasnt came out yet and other people are really looking forward to it. maybe if a person didnt like halo 1 then they most likely wouldnt like halo2,3,odst, and wars. people have opinions...

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jagt707
    shadows_kill said:
    "there are people bashing killzone 2 and it hasnt came out yet and other people are really looking forward to it. maybe if a person didnt like halo 1 then they most likely wouldnt like halo2,3,odst, and wars. people have opinions..."

I mean it when I say that Killzone 2 is going to be better than any of the Halo games combined.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

If someone didn't like a game when it came out, why would they suddenly start liking it?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jayge_

You won't find many people that hate Halo.

It's just that the series hasn't evolved since then.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jagt707
    Jayge said:
    "You won't find many people that hate Halo.

O rly?

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexpane
    jagt707 said:

} but if had the first good controls in a console FPS. You can move and aim in a proper speed , shoot with just right amount of auto-aim to shoot with a nice precision.

"
    Umm no, Halo was not the first...it was the first w/ "press the easy button" controls yes on consoles, but not the first console FPS w/ good controls.  Fuck the PSOne had some good FPS controls in the original 2 MoH games.

Halo 1 is and forever will be a great game.  But halo 2 single player sucked dog ass
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
    jagt707 said:
    "Jayge said:

O rly?

"
    He's talking about Halo 3, isn't he?

I am discussing the original Halo.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jagt707
    Hexpane said:
    "jagt707 said:

} but if had the first good controls in a console FPS. You can move and aim in a proper speed , shoot with just right amount of auto-aim to shoot with a nice precision.

"
    Umm no, Halo was not the first...it was the first w/ "press the easy button" controls yes on consoles, but not the first console FPS w/ good controls.  Fuck the PSOne had some good FPS controls in the original 2 MoH games.

Halo 1 is and forever will be a great game.  But halo 2 single player sucked dog ass"
    Oh god no, I felt like I was controlling a turret than a human being in the PlayStation MOH games, even with the dual analog sticks.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jagt707
    Jayge said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Jayge said:

O rly?

"
    He's talking about Halo 3, isn't he?

I am discussing the original Halo."
    No he definitely mean the Halo series in general.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_

He talks about the 360 and crap. He's talking about Halo 3.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Shadow
    jagt707 said:
    "Jayge said:

O rly?

"
    As I said.  Assholes hate Halo
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StaticFalconar

Goldeneye? Nah man. CS is original

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mercator

Who cares?

If you like it play it, if not, dont.

I cant stand GTA4, but I dont whine about how this site seems to be all rock hard over it.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Karmum
    Shadow said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Jayge said:

O rly?

"
    As I said.  Assholes hate Halo"
    No, idiots who think people who Hate halo are assholes, are the true ones. But the guy in the video is more idiotic than any of us on this forum. This guy gives us the shit we get for disliking a series because he brings up no original points on why Halo isn't that great.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael

I don't hate Halo. The game is pretty good - what I hate is the fanboys who go "OMG Halo is teh best FPS EVAR!!!!".

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK

Hating halo makes you kewl apparently

not that i care, it's no secret that it's an amazing game with possibly the best multiplayer ever to be found

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jagt707

Oh no not you, you're the first Halo fanboy I've ever seen.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jagt707
    Ravey said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Then they bring up Goldeneye 007 as the defining light for console shooters. Really, Goldeneye 007? Sure the game was good for the consoles back in it’s time but compared to Quake II which was released the same year the game was primitive."

I can think of a number of reasons why Goldeneye 007 was better than Quake 2.

• Released months prior to Quake 2 (Goldeneye - August 1997 / Quake 2 - December 1997).
    • Quake 2 was basically Quake 1, except not as good imo. Goldeneye was a new experience and didn't use a pre-existing engine.
    • Good indoor and outdoor levels, Quake engine doesn't portray environments as realistically.
    • Colourful environments and characters, Quake 2 had a weak palette.
    • The weapons felt right, they were more fun to use.
    • Goldeneye had lots of multiplayer options and cheats, it was generally a more fun and creative game.
    • 2D sprites instead of models/particle FX for effects is more appropriate and effective (Try shooting a window in Quake 2, they crumble into rocks instead of glass. Explosions were weak too.)

• Quake 2's models had that horrible shading and wobbly / vertex animation. Goldeneye charcters were flat shaded and motion-captured. Characters could look up down appropriately.
    • Better AI and path-finding, Goldeneye's enemies could usually follow you all the way around the maps...Quake 2 path-finding often got the enemies stuck. They'd also crouch, evade, utilize alarms and they had locational damage with appropriate animations.
    • Etc, etc...

Many PC shooters like Soldier of Fortune tried to capture the essence and quality of Goldeneye but suffered in many areas because of the Quake 2 engine. Goldeneye falls more in line with less serious games like Duke Nukem 3D and MDK which were imo way more exciting and better designed experiences than Quake 2.

As for Halo, it wasn't really revolutionary...the vehicles were done well though.

"

Dude you are portraying Quake II as if it were a Tom Clancyish realistic tactical shooter game. It's a fucking bizzare futuristic/medieval style theme for god sake which explains why there weren't many color palatte and oddly shaped enemies. The weapons in Goldeneye 007 felt weak and unispired. Quake II ran better, had better weapons, better single player, better multiplayer, and it is better than the original.

Quake 4 was meh though, but Quake III was pretty good.
    The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Ish

I loved Halo because AMERICA!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK
    jagt707 said:
    "Oh no not you, you're the first Halo fanboy I've ever seen."
    :S

I'm not the one who proclaims killzone 2 will be better than all the halos combined
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jagt707
    crunchUK said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Oh no not you, you're the first Halo fanboy I've ever seen."
    :S

I'm not the one who proclaims killzone 2 will be better than all the halos combined"
    I stand corrected.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jagt707
    Miniman said:
    "Halo is a good game but it's highly overrated. And the multiplayer is FAR from the best of all time mainly due to all the idiot 5 year olds who play it."

That's not the game's fault. Counter-Strike has more idiots than the multiplayer in GTA IV but I never hear anyone complain about it.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jagt707
    Miniman said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Miniman said:
    "Halo is a good game but it's highly overrated. And the multiplayer is FAR from the best of all time mainly due to all the idiot 5 year olds who play it."

That's not the game's fault. Counter-Strike has more idiots than the multiplayer in GTA IV but I never hear anyone complain about it."
    It's easier to get rid of the idiots on Counter Strike then it is on Halo."

True but it's still neithe Counter-Strike's or Halo's fault.
    jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jagt707
    Ravey said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Dude you are portraying Quake II as if it were a Tom Clancyish realistic tactical shooter game. It's a fucking bizzare futuristic/medieval style theme for god sake which explains why there weren't many color palatte and oddly shaped enemies. The weapons in Goldeneye 007 felt weak and unispired. Quake II ran better, had better weapons, better single player, better multiplayer, and it is better than the original."

I didn't say anything Quake 2 being a realistic tactical shooter, all the things I mentioned were regarding the technology/design of the game. I didn't even say the enemies were oddly shaped. I was talking about the way the characters look like they're made out of jelly.

If you want to compare bizzare futuristic games made in 1997, MDK blows Quake 2 out of the water in terms of design!

"

Yes it does but Quake II looked amazing for its time. The enemies didn't look jelly too me but they looked liked piles of meat stuck together where the characters in Goldeneye 007 looked like Legos.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By TheGreatGuero

A lot of people are retarded and/or fanboys. Most of the people I know that bash it seem as if they've never even played it. I know one Nintendo fanboy (not here at GiantBomb) who constantly bashes Halo for not being innovative. The game single-handedly set the new standard for console FPS games and totally raised the bar for the genre as a whole. Few games push the envelope as much as the Halo series has.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By breadfan
    Icemael said:
    "I don't hate Halo. The game is pretty good - what I hate is the fanboys who go "OMG Halo is teh best FPS EVAR!!!!"."
    I think that Halo is alright, nothing special.  The story was decent and the multiplayer was cool when it was new, but now there are just better games to play online.  I just do not see what makes the game so groundbreaking
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By get2sammyb

I really enjoyed Halo 2 back in the day.

I haven't played Halo 3 but I hear it's sub-720p; which is pretty much unforgivable for a game of it's "calibre".

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jagt707
    Ravey said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Yes it does but Quake II looked amazing for its time. The enemies didn't look jelly too me but they looked liked piles of meat stuck together where the characters in Goldeneye 007 looked like Legos."

I agree, it was great for it's time. I don't hate Quake 2, but what I am trying to say is that it's not that different from Quake because it only came out a year later. Many of the engine enhancements were already introduced in the OpenGL port of Quake that they had made. What makes Goldeneye a better game for me is that it was in development for roughly 3 years and while the PC had a lot of copycat games based on iD's games, Goldeneye introduced just as many revolutionary features to the genre too and on a console no less.

"

Whoa, Goldeneye 007 didn't bring anything revolutionary except for the use on a sniper rifle scope and specific body part damage....oh wait Chasm The Rift did that first.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PureRok

Who cares who did what first? Really? Does it really change things if we say who did what first? It doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't.

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jagt707
    Ravey said:
    "jagt707 said:
    "Whoa, Goldeneye 007 didn't bring anything revolutionary except for the use on a sniper rifle scope and specific body part damage....oh wait Chasm The Rift did that first."

Oh yeah, you wanna debate this then son?

MDK is the first game recognised for using a sniper rifle mechanic (May 1997)
    Chasm The Rift came out AFTER Goldeneye (September 1997)

I thought this was about Halo anyway, I guess your posts prove a certain point in that regard though. People think Halo was more revolutionary than it actually was. It has it's good moments though and was a solid game, but i've never been a fan though. The fact that they half-assed the PC port of the game is partly why i'm not keen on it too.

"
    The PC port was ass, Halo is not revolutionary but it's a outstanding game. I thought Chasm The Rift came out before Goldeneye 007.
    CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By CreamyGoodness

i disagree, everyone i know in real life, enjoys halo and can't wait for it. but then again we only play xbox like an hour a day at most and not every day

jagt707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jagt707
    CreamyGoodness said:
    "i disagree, everyone i know in real life, enjoys halo and can't wait for it. but then again we only play xbox like an hour a day at most and not every day"

What's your thought on this trilogy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.