Why do I have to pay $10 to play Big Team Battle?

#1 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

I'm not the biggest Halo fan in the world, but I do enjoy the large scale and vehicles of some multiplayer maps. Particularly the maps and game modes found in the Big Team Battle playlist. I don't own ODST and I haven't been particularly interested in Reach. So in an attempt to get excited for the upcoming title, I popped Halo 3 in my disc tray the other night to enjoy some epic Big Team Battle games. To my dismay, all but 2 (i'm pretty sure) of the playlists require ALL the DLC. Really? All the DLC? I really have to pay $10 for the last map pack to enjoy my $80 (Limited edition) game? I don't play the game enough to warrant paying anymore money for it, but aren't I entitled to enjoy every part of it?
 
This was a problem a while back when the Legendary map pack was out. 1 friend out of a group of us didn't have it, so we couldn't play Big Team Battle. He ended up buying it, but it's just shitty that Bungie decides to make us pay a royalty for playing it. Imagine if Infinity Ward implemented their new maps in to popular game modes. People would lose their shit at the prospect of having to pay $30 (for both packs now) to play Ground War or Search and Destroy. Can't they just add a separate all DLC required section of playlists so people without all the content can enjoy the game? I'm sure of you will say it'll just be free or 400 points soon, and if that's the case, make it required when it's free.
 
I know my complaints will just fall on deaf ears in the vast emptiness of internet space. But I just had to get it off my chest.

#2 Posted by Scotty_Gun (23 posts) -

You're probably not going to like this but the last map pack is more Team Deathmatch and Team Skirmish focused.  The only map pack that was good for the big epic game was the one with Avalanche (Sidewinder).
#3 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -
@Scotty_Gun said:
" You're probably not going to like this but the last map pack is more Team Deathmatch and Team Skirmish focused.  The only map pack that was good for the big epic game was the one with Avalanche (Sidewinder). "
Exactly! I played the ODST multiplayer disc and fucked around on the maps, and I don't remember any of them even being big! I have the first Mythic with Sand box, and that was their big Forge Orgy map.
#4 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

They're between a rock and a hard place there, because if you sell DLC to people, they want to play it. If the playlists don't require DLC, your chances of playing those maps goes down significantly. Yes, they try and match players who have the DLC together, but you'll still only be seeing them fairly rarely, due to all the factors that need to line up. Requiring DLC circumvents this problem, but then leaves people who DIDN'T buy it feeling disenfranchised, like you.
 
The compromise has been to leave the most popular playlists (The slayer lists) DLC optional, while requiring it for everything else. Yeah, it's not the best solution, but it is great to have the DLC maps show up more often, especially since the ones on disc were so mediocre. Further adding to the need for DLC is Sandbox, which has a ton of variants in every playlist that beef up the map count a bit.
They've been dropping map pack prices, but Microsoft seems unwilling to let them go free, which is unfortunate. Heroic is freem Cold Store is free, Legendary is 160, Mythic I is 400, and Mythic II is still the full 800

#5 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Scotty_Gun said:
" You're probably not going to like this but the last map pack is more Team Deathmatch and Team Skirmish focused.  The only map pack that was good for the big epic game was the one with Avalanche (Sidewinder). "
Exactly! I played the ODST multiplayer disc and fucked around on the maps, and I don't remember any of them even being big! I have the first Mythic with Sand box, and that was their big Forge Orgy map. "
Longshore from Mythixc II is a fantastic BTB map, and there are a bunch of Sandbox variant in the BTB hopper right now, some of which are very good.
#6 Edited by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -
@Lies said:

" They're between a rock and a hard place there, because if you sell DLC to people, they want to play it. If the playlists don't require DLC, your chances of playing those maps goes down significantly. Yes, they try and match players who have the DLC together, but you'll still only be seeing them fairly rarely, due to all the factors that need to line up. Requiring DLC circumvents this problem, but then leaves people who DIDN'T buy it feeling disenfranchised, like you.  The compromise has been to leave the most popular playlists (The slayer lists) DLC optional, while requiring it for everything else. Yeah, it's not the best solution, but it is great to have the DLC maps show up more often, especially since the ones on disc were so mediocre. Further adding to the need for DLC is Sandbox, which has a ton of variants in every playlist that beef up the map count a bit.They've been dropping map pack prices, but Microsoft seems unwilling to let them go free, which is unfortunate. Heroic is freem Cold Store is free, Legendary is 160, Mythic I is 400, and Mythic II is still the full 800 "

But if they added a new DLC playlist that had all the modes that required DLC and then just the Vanilla modes separately.
 
As in: Ranked, Social, Double XP, DLC. 
 
I see what you mean though, you definitely get your DLC money's worth with them being in all the playlists
#7 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

Unfortunately thats the case. Its both a good and bad thing since well it allows maps people purchased actually come up from time to time, but it splits the audience. Though I do understand BTB requiring the DLC with its already small number of maps for it so Longshore and Sandbox with all its different variants are kind of a must to add variety to it. 

#8 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" @Lies said:

" They're between a rock and a hard place there, because if you sell DLC to people, they want to play it. If the playlists don't require DLC, your chances of playing those maps goes down significantly. Yes, they try and match players who have the DLC together, but you'll still only be seeing them fairly rarely, due to all the factors that need to line up. Requiring DLC circumvents this problem, but then leaves people who DIDN'T buy it feeling disenfranchised, like you.  The compromise has been to leave the most popular playlists (The slayer lists) DLC optional, while requiring it for everything else. Yeah, it's not the best solution, but it is great to have the DLC maps show up more often, especially since the ones on disc were so mediocre. Further adding to the need for DLC is Sandbox, which has a ton of variants in every playlist that beef up the map count a bit.They've been dropping map pack prices, but Microsoft seems unwilling to let them go free, which is unfortunate. Heroic is freem Cold Store is free, Legendary is 160, Mythic I is 400, and Mythic II is still the full 800 "

But if they added a new DLC playlist that had all the modes that required DLC and then just the Vanilla modes separately.  As in: Ranked, Social, Double XP, DLC.   I see what you mean though, you definitely get your DLC money's worth with them being in all the playlists "

That splits the population further though, which is already a problem, especially at this point in the games life. They do have a Mythic playlist, which is DLC maps exclusively, but people want to play them in the other playlists, you know? I really enjoy Longshore, but the Mythic playlist is 4v4, which isn't ideal. If I can play 8v8 one bomb in the social big team hopper, that's how I would rather play it.
#9 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

Yeah, like Lies said. I bought the maps, and I would like to play them in matchmaking. Doing it this way makes that happen. But, remember when they made the Halo 2 maps free? They even announced the date and everything when they would become free. And, those were some of my favorite Halo 2 maps too. Those were the good ole days.

#10 Posted by adoggz (2069 posts) -

yeah it sucks, but you can get odst for $20 "used" off amazon. I just did that and I can't even tell that is is used. it looks perfectly new.

#11 Posted by Druminator (1678 posts) -

Yea I hate they restrict players like that.

#12 Posted by EvilNoah (8 posts) -

I know this is a rare opinion, but ODST is worth it. And you'll have the maps. And if your friends have it, firefight is just about as fun as big team battle.

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.