343 are ripping-off mass effect and prometheus.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dfsix999 (4 posts) -

to quote a smart person:

@CptBedlam said:

Wow, "Prometheans". That's about the amount of creativity I came to expect from the Halo games.

"How do we call our ancient alien race?"

"Uhh Mass Effect had the Protheans... and the games were pretty good, right? Also, there's this movie in theaters right now..."

its about time someone noticed this. 343 should be sued for plagirism and their lack of creativity. i mean seriously, did anyone notice how lazy this was for the retarded enemy designs for this game?

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Can't tell if trolling or not.

#3 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

Mass Effect stole a lot from Star Trek Next Generation. STNG stole a lot from original Star Trek. Star Trek stole a lot from Twilight Zone. Twilight Zone stole a lot from Tales of Tomorrow. Tales of Tomorrow stole a lot from .......from Shakespeare......from Homer's Iliad.

#4 Posted by Willza92 (253 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Can't tell if trolling or not.

Don't worry, I can. *Pulls out the Trollinator Scanner 2KX (C) * THE READING IS OFF THE CHARTS! IT'S... IT'S... OVER NINE ohhh you get the point...

#5 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

*slowly rubs temples*

Don't they teach Greek mythology in school these days?

#6 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Wow.

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -
#8 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
#9 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Choking on Cheddar Cheese, Champ.

#10 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Follow the Money

#11 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

The sad thing is I don't think this dude is trolling.

#12 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

Yea the troll is strong with this one. That being said, MAN that was an awful attempt.

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Learn from your mistakes, young grasshopper. And stay in school, because you obviously haven't been.

#14 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

The rule is that if somebody says something stupid, there's ALWAYS someone else who actually believes it, regardless of whether the initial person was trolling.

#15 Posted by Bane122 (763 posts) -

Troll or not, China don't care.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo: More like

#17 Posted by dfsix999 (4 posts) -

halo 4 is also ripping-off metroid prime. such a deravitive series.

@CptBedlam said:

"Guys, we have this revolutionary new concept that will surpise the shit out of everyone: another ancient alien race. How do we call it?"

"Uhh Mass Effect had the Protheans... and the games were pretty good, right? Also, there's this movie in theaters right now..."

"Approved! Next item on the list: we need a new look and I played Metroid Prime yesterday..."

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

STOP.

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

They probably made some progenitor species for the forerunner or humans or who ever and like every other movie or game that made a *cough* subtle reference to the gift of fire to man, this race probably kicked things off for some other species.

It is incredibly unoriginal (more accurately, cheesy and on-the-nose) of both Mass Effect and Prometheus to have done that, but I managed to enjoy parts of both of those franchises (god look how ME3 forces me to talk a little shit about a series I'd otherwise love completely) so I can't exactly call out 343 for doing the same thing. All I gotta ask is that they stop it. Just... find some other metaphor for your aliens.

#20 Edited by CptBedlam (4438 posts) -

Dude, I purposefully put my comment under the respective video instead of opening up a new thread for this shit.

I don't like Halo, I think it's creatively bankrupt but I'd never go all missionary about it.

#21 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

#22 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

@dfsix999 said:

halo 4 is also ripping-off metroid prime. such a deravitive series.

@CptBedlam said:

"Guys, we have this revolutionary new concept that will surpise the shit out of everyone: another ancient alien race. How do we call it?"

"Approved! Next item on the list: we need a new look and I played Metroid Prime yesterday..."

Okay, now there's no question of your trolling. You should have quit while you were ahead.

#23 Posted by dfsix999 (4 posts) -

halo sucks shit and this game just looks like another generic halo game. the new enemies look retarded, like rejected bionicle figures. the only people who are looking forward to this are dumb jocks and twelve year-old kids. halo is the most overrated franchise ever made, next to call of duty. and before any of you halo bois use sales figures and high scored reviews to justify it, they mean nothing. michael bay movies make millions at the box office and critics are being payed to give high scores. i wouldn't be surprised if most halo fans were fans of transformers revenge of the fallen.

in others words, halo is for idiots with no taste or standards in video games. i know i'm right, CptBedlam would agree with cuz he's always right like me.

#24 Posted by cutyoface (524 posts) -

Please tell me you are trolling.

#25 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1295 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

*slowly rubs temples*

Don't they teach Greek mythology in school these days?

That was another time long, long ago.

#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Okay, flag and move on, people.

#27 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

If you think there's anything original about Mass Effect I have some unfortunate fucking news for you.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (20571 posts) -

OK, we get it, you're trolling to embarrass cptbedlam for the stupid comment he made.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9374 posts) -

Uh-huh.

#30 Edited by CptBedlam (4438 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

OK, we get it, you're trolling to embarrass cptbedlam for the stupid comment he made.

I stand by my comment, but yeah... the dude didn't help.

#31 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

It wouldn't be such a terrible sounding name if I didn't hear Prothean a lot earlier this year and didn't watch Prometheus yesterday. But I did, so it is.

But if it sounds great for you, enjoy. They sure look cool. Well, OK, they don't actually look that cool. But their weapons do, honest.

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9374 posts) -

@TheHT said:

It wouldn't be such a terrible sounding name if I didn't hear Prothean a lot earlier this year and didn't watch Prometheus yesterday. But I did, so it is.

But if it sounds great for you, enjoy. They sure look cool. Well, OK, they don't actually look that cool. But their weapons do, honest.

I guess to me it doesn't really matter what anything in any form of media is called as long as it isn't idiotic or offensive. The 'prome-' names just sound like generic Sci-Fi names. What sticks with me is what those beings or concepts are and do not what they are called. So whether it is Halo, ME, or Prometheus the name just doesn't really matter.

#33 Posted by AssInAss (2400 posts) -

Is this post-modern trolling where you can't tell what's sarcasm or not?

#34 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I don't see this going anywhere productive...

#35 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

@JasonR86: Sure, the name is ultimately a minor detail. But that doesn't stop my eyes from rolling when I see a video with the headline "Learn All About the Prometheans...".

Hopefully it sounding generic doesn't reflect the actual beings.

#36 Posted by Popskinz (409 posts) -
@dfsix999 said:

halo sucks shit and this game just looks like another generic halo game. the new enemies look retarded, like rejected bionicle figures. the only people who are looking forward to this are dumb jocks and twelve year-old kids. halo is the most overrated franchise ever made, next to call of duty. and before any of you halo bois use sales figures and high scored reviews to justify it, they mean nothing. michael bay movies make millions at the box office and critics are being payed to give high scores. i wouldn't be surprised if most halo fans were fans of transformers revenge of the fallen.

in others words, halo is for idiots with no taste or standards in video games. i know i'm right, CptBedlam would agree with cuz he's always right like me.

Your parents must be proud.
#37 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

The level of this thread: zomg geow totally invented space marines you guyz!

#38 Posted by Freshbandito (611 posts) -

@dfsix999: It's alright champ, keep trying and eventually, one far flung day you may be funny / witty / insightful or with great luck all of the above. Don't forget it's failures like this attempt at a thread that are where you will learn most rather than from your successes.

#39 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.