Gripe about 343's representation of Cortana

• 62 results
#1 Posted by Zirilius (849 posts) -

Just curious if anyone else felt like Cortana was hyper sexualized in this game? It seemed like every time I inserted her into a control module I was greeted by a screen full of Cortana ass.

I get it 343 you made a cool looking Cortana model but I don't need to be shown it every 5-10 minutes of the game.

#2 Edited by Canteu (2864 posts) -

"Wake up Chief...I need you"

Yup.

I wouldn't say Hyper anything, as i am not prone to such hyperbole (see what i did there?), but she is indeed sexualised more than she used to be.

#3 Posted by NekuCTR (1710 posts) -

Halo 4 was an anime. So yes.

#4 Edited by Irvandus (3075 posts) -

Every Halo game was like that. Maybe the increased dialogue makes it more obvious, I don't know. I've just always felt Cortana was a sexualized character, but heck that's all video game character, men too.

#5 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1537 posts) -

Nothing wrong with pleasant visuals. I'm sure Master Chief would prefer to see more ass than murderous aliens any day.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (16320 posts) -

*fap fap fap fap* What was the question again? I was too busy with all this Cortana hentai.

#7 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@Zirilius said:

Just curious if anyone else felt like Cortana was hyper sexualized in this game? It seemed like every time I inserted her into a control module I was greeted by a screen full of Cortana ass.

I get it 343 you made a cool looking Cortana model but I don't need to be shown it every 5-10 minutes of the game.

Hyper Sexualized? Maybe to muslims.

#8 Edited by Gamer_152 (14284 posts) -

Cortana has basically always been a naked computer lady, I think the only real change in 4 from previous games was the fact that she (and everything else in the game) was more detailed. I do think there's a fair argument to be made that Cortana is another character to add to the list of questionably represented women in video games, but I think her nudity had more place in 4 than any other game in the series. In every other game Cortana was nude "Just because", in 4 it at least served as a metaphor, intentional or not, for her vulnerability, and the fact that she was devolving into an ever-more primal state due to her rampancy.

#9 Edited by psylah (2273 posts) -
#10 Posted by Sooty (8195 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Zirilius said:

Compare Halo to Halo 4

and suddenly TITS.

#11 Edited by flindip (546 posts) -

She was always sexualized. IMO, they weren't excessive about it. Catwoman from Arkham City was excessive. I think you really noticed because Halo 4's major subplot is a love story, which becomes overt at the end. But, it was always tasteful.

I thought the character animations of Cortana's face were excellent.

#12 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1230 posts) -

At least she didn't have boob physics like in Halo 3.

#13 Edited by ki11tank (734 posts) -

she got some tiggo bitties, all fake and hobbit sized digi style.

on a serious note, yea i thought it sucked too. noticed that master chief didn't give a shit when people were dying like crazy but went all emo with cortana all the time. i feel like it's a ploy that they think works on desperate nerds or something so they feel attached to the game ($$), could be wrong i dunno. always seems dumb to me, in recent memory uncharted seemed to do the female thing right though, didn't seem so weird.

#14 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Zirilius said:

Compare Halo to Halo 4

and suddenly TITS.

Like pretty much any women in a movie ever? Graphics got better so breasts did too.

#15 Edited by I_smell (4212 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Zirilius said:

Compare Halo to Halo 4

and suddenly TITS.

Like pretty much any women in a movie ever? Graphics got better so breasts did too.

I've never played a Halo game, but it is pretty hilarious how in this Halo 4 shot she's so obviously a naked woman.

Hopefully this isn't as pandering and stupidly transparent as the EDI change:
#16 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Zirilius said:

Compare Halo to Halo 4

and suddenly TITS.

I've never played a Halo game, but it is pretty hilarious how in this Halo 4 shot she's so obviously a naked woman.

she has always been.

#17 Posted by Zirilius (849 posts) -

The thing that really puts it into context is that when you see another AI, this one male, he's wearing an outfit. Guess they didn't make AI clothing outlets when Cortana was made.

#18 Posted by Soapy86 (2675 posts) -

I don't like that she has toes now.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

Loading Video...

Skip to 1:10 for my favorite Bombcast Cortana moment.

#20 Edited by big_jon (6155 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

lul, nope.

And aside from general improvements to her visual design the only thing that has been more "sexualized" about her is she has bigger hips, she has always been a pretty, naked, blue lady, and has always been handled tastefully. It was no different this time around.

#21 Posted by Bwast (1376 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

I don't like that she has toes now.

I do. A lot. A LOT. I WANNA SEE HER STOMP SOME EGGS FUCK YEAH

#22 Posted by believer258 (12836 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@NekuCTR said:

lul, nope.

Halo Legends was an anime. Halo and anime aren't completely disconnected.

Jus' saiyan.

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Zirilius said:

Compare Halo to Halo 4

and suddenly TITS.

She had boobs in Halo 3 and 343 didn't make that.

#24 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3215 posts) -

They did make her way curvier in this game than previous installments. It's weird.

#25 Posted by RazielCuts (3067 posts) -

@Ravenlight: (This is the better one)

Loading Video...

#26 Edited by Canteu (2864 posts) -

@I_smell: EDI was desexualisation, i mean look. She went from Giant Floating Vagina Sphere to...Robot With Tits.

edit: Also, to those who are wondering. AI in the Halo universe choose their own appearance. So Cortana decided she wanted to be a tastefully semi naked hologram lady.

#27 Posted by NekuCTR (1710 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@big_jon said:

@NekuCTR said:

lul, nope.

Jus' saiyan.

I'm talking about the story, action, and extremely over dramatic, and cheesy reading of lines.

#28 Posted by believer258 (12836 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

@believer258 said:

@big_jon said:

@NekuCTR said:

lul, nope.

Jus' saiyan.

I'm talking about the story, action, and extremely over dramatic, and cheesy reading of lines.

Well, a lot of video games share those same issues. Halo is not alone in that. Gears of War, Call of Duty, and Mass Effect could all be accused of the same problem.

#29 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

More boobs=More sales in N.America.

#30 Posted by VoshiNova (1971 posts) -

@Canteu said:

"Wake up Chief...I need you"

Yup.

I wouldn't say Hyper anything, as i am not prone to such hyperbole (see what i did there?), but she is indeed sexualised more than she used to be.

He's heating up......

#31 Posted by Mowgers (408 posts) -

I think she's more detailed certainly, and that inevitably makes things more prominent for better or for worse. What I wanna know is, how come the male AI seen during the Spartan Ops cutscene isn't naked too? He's wearing a WW2 flight suit! I think even the AI in Halo Wars was wearing an abstract dress of some kind. Doesn't Cortana get a skirt, or pants or whatever?

#32 Posted by Scrawnto (2498 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@I_smell: EDI was desexualisation, i mean look. She went from Giant Floating Vagina Sphere to...Robot With Tits.

edit: Also, to those who are wondering. AI in the Halo universe choose their own appearance. So Cortana decided she wanted to be a tastefully semi naked hologram lady.

To start, I'll say that I have no problem with Cortana's appearance. I think it's tastefully executed, and besides most Americans make a bigger deal out of nudity than they should. She's just (sort-of-but-not-really-she-doesn't-even-have-nipples-much-less-genitalia-basically-a-more-realistically-proportioned-Barbie) nude, not overtly sexualized. Secondly, Canteu is right with respect to Halo lore but, that doesn't actually work as an argument when we are talking about the game's designers' choices. Cortana is not actually an autonomous AI. A real human chose her appearance, and they can be held accountable for those choices. Again, I think those choices are totally fine, and people are blowing this way out of proportion. Hell, If I were an AI, I'd probably choose to be fit and naked too. Full on Prometheus engineer or Captain Manhattan, you know what I'm saying?

#33 Posted by EXTomar (5031 posts) -

I believe the problem is that making Cortana clearer didn't help.

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

This is going to sound real shitty but...

The breasts they gave her look like they have never been put into a bra before. Gravity was not kind to those digital breasts.

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Wait, they do? How do they go about doing that? How does the AI determine what a good body would be versus a bad one? Are they born with social norms built in? Who put them there? What the fuck?

#36 Posted by Omnomnivore (2940 posts) -

It's sad that the internet has to constantly beat a dead-horse every-time because it likes to hear itself talk.

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

And wet, bloody origami cranes sell in Europe?

#38 Posted by doosmacleod (190 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Canteu said:

Wait, they do? How do they go about doing that? How does the AI determine what a good body would be versus a bad one? Are they born with social norms built in? Who put them there? What the fuck?

She's hyper sentient

This means she has internet access.

#39 Edited by Canteu (2864 posts) -

@JasonR86: They don't immediately form an appearance. You have to remember, Cortana was created from Dr.Halsey's DNA/Brain so she holds a lot of her personalities and ideals/experience so she is a special case. The other AI in the universe are programmed by humans, but basically have a personality programmed into them. They eventually decide what they want to look like based on their "likes" and "dislikes" or experiences.

I'm pretty sure there was an AI in one of the books that looked like Napoleon. I could be crazy though.

#40 Posted by Empirepaintball (1456 posts) -

Nah. I mean lets be honest, she's more sexualized, but it's a pretty small part of the game. I tend to ignore them, more or less (at least when I want to).

#41 Edited by I_smell (4212 posts) -
@Scrawnto: I don't think it's blowing it way out of proportion to say that it's silly how your tutorial voice in this game is a naked lady.
It IS silly. His Jimminy Cricket is a naked lady who gets sexier every game, that's funny and dumb. We're only writing 2-sentence posts about it, it's not like a big protest.

@ahaisthisourchance
The Heavy Rain boxart is to put human characters front n centre. That's what most American boxart changes are about, check out the Invisible War boxart change, and Ico. It makes sense on some level, they wanna sell Heavy Rain as like a TV drama in America, and more like a novel in Europe.
#42 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@Scrawnto: I don't think it's blowing it way out of proportion to say that it's silly how your tutorial voice in this game is a naked lady.
It IS silly. His Jimminy Cricket is a naked lady who gets sexier every game, that's funny and dumb. We're only writing 2-sentence posts about it, it's not like a big protest.

@ahaisthisourchance:
The Heavy Rain boxart is to put human characters front n centre. That's what most American boxart changes are about, check out the Invisible War boxart change, and Ico. It makes sense on some level, they wanna sell Heavy Rain as like a TV drama in America, and more like a novel in Europe.

Shes a computer naked lady, it makes sense seen as 99.99% of the internet seems to be naked ladies

#43 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

They made her waist look so fucking skinny just by where they put that oragami, that had to be intentional.

#44 Posted by JasonR86 (10007 posts) -

@doosmacleod:

Is there an internet in the Halo universe?

@Canteu:

So then that doctor likes big breasts?

#45 Edited by Canteu (2864 posts) -

@JasonR86: I think it's more that she has big breasts. Ladies can be Doctors too you know!

#46 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

She's a AI, in the form of a naked female.

That's all there is to it. 

Now get over it and shoot some more aliens.

#47 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1357 posts) -

People like ass and tits, shes got ass and tits. What's the problem?

#48 Posted by vikingdeath1 (1091 posts) -

Didn't bother me as much as.....

Those Teeth.................................................................................................................................................... WHY IS THERE A GAP???

#49 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

Didn't bother me as much as.....

Those Teeth.................................................................................................................................................... WHY IS THERE A GAP???

And this is the only thing I don't like about the new cortana. Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK?!

#50 Posted by TooWalrus (13333 posts) -

OK. I'll say it. I don't mind the change. She looks good. God, from all the outrage, I feel like I should be posting this in the 'unpopular opinions thread.'

I suppose I've never felt that attached to Cortana- is this basically the same as thread as @FluxWaveZ'sPersona 4 Golden thread? Do you feel like this is just fan service and is disingenuous to Cortana's deeply developed character? Because her appearance changes in every game, and the only thing that remains constant is that she's a hologram in the form of a naked woman... I don't find this offensive at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.