Gripe about 343's representation of Cortana

• 62 results
#51 Posted by Scotto (1113 posts) -

Been said by others already but - no, she hasn't gotten more sexualized. Her model has just gotten more detailed. Halo 3 had just as much sideboob, but now it's just more "realistic" looking.

She wasn't really "sexualized" in the first or second game, because she was comprised of a handful of polygons. But they never hid the fact that she was taking the form of a naked female body.

#52 Posted by Gantrathor (166 posts) -

I have noticed that her breasts have become larger and larger over the years. Not that I mind :p

Sexualize your characters as much as you want for all I care, male or female. As long as the game is good I'll play it.

#53 Posted by Mnemoidian (944 posts) -

I didn't put much thought into why... but every time Cortana was on screen, I thought it was really uncomfortable and creepy.

Liked Halo 4, thought the philosophical direction of Cortana was interesting (even if I thought they should've gone further)... but, yeah. Creeeeepy.

#54 Edited by AngriGhandi (682 posts) -

I think the thing that makes Cortana's "evolved" appearance annoying to me is that it's clearly being done for the sake of the audience, not the story. I mean, Master Chief doesn't give a shit what she looks like. (He'd certainly be setting himself up for disappointment if he did.) No, they're friends because of all they've been through together.

So, the idea that you would make the character sexier in order to communicate the depth of her and another character's ostensibly non-sexual bond seems... kind of weird.

Now, if it were weird on purpose, I would be all for it. As it is, it just seems confused.

#55 Edited by mbr2 (548 posts) -

So does anyone else think it's fucking weird that "she'd" be some sort of love interest. Isn't "she" an AI? And I thought I was overly attached to my computer. Why does "she" need a full body representation and a woman in skintight clothing at that? Even Shodan was a bit ridiculous and "she" was only a face.

EDIT: Reading through this thread cemented the fact that GB is no different than any other cesspool internet community. Fucking gross.

#56 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I'm not into voluptuous chicks so I found her less attractive.

#57 Posted by SomeJerk (2967 posts) -

I live in Sweden and play games to get away from breasty amazon warrior goddesses so I am bothered by the hypersexualization of her, which definitely did not start with Halo 4 but for sure took another huge leap into "ha ha ha wow are these guys serious" territory with it. It's like Femshop, Femshep ME1 was realistic and decent, ME2 she got a lift which was tasteful but still kinda wtf, then ME3 was all completely hahahawhatgetouttahere.

Enjoy it, you people who enjoy looking at bodacious ladybodies in games and real life. No wonder I felt sad that Vega wasn't a maleshep romance alternative in ME3.

#58 Posted by MrMuscle (420 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

Didn't bother me as much as.....

Those Teeth.................................................................................................................................................... WHY IS THERE A GAP???

Haha yeah I was wondering if I was the only one who thought it looked messed up. Are they trying to please the furries as well?

#59 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

@zyn said:

@vikingdeath1 said:

Those Teeth.................................................................................................................................................... WHY IS THERE A GAP???

And this is the only thing I don't like about the new cortana. Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK?!

sexy bucktooth is sexy.

#60 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@vikingdeath1 said:

Have to say I didn't notice it throughout the game, but that's quite apparent there... maybe it's something they picked up off the actress who did the facial mocap? It looks weird from that angle.

Anyway as to her appearance, I dunno. It's never really bothered me that she is basically a blue Barbie doll with no clothing. I've never really felt that she was a sexual character, it was never a thing that the games were focused on, or brought up. Yeah sure, naked blue lady saying ''Jack me, Chief!'' can lead to a few childish titters, but it's not like she ever took an impromptu strip-tease break in the middle of an infodump or something. I've never thought of Cortana as a 'sexy video game babe' in the way a character like Pre-reboot Lara Croft, or Miranda or countless others are seen - to me, she's 'just' Cortana. If anything, I see her as an A.I/computer program first, before I see that she's a naked holo-lady.   

What I do find odd is when you put it into the Context of the wider Halo universe, she's basically the only A.I we've seen that appears like this. Others wear clothes, like Roland's fighter pilot gear or Serina's labcoat/tunic, and A.I featured in the books have taken on images of Ancient Gods, or worn suits of armour. Cortana's the only one that seemingly went 'Yup, don't bother with that stuff, I'll just be naked, ta!'.
#61 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: I always thought Cortana's chest looked odd in Halo. I think it's just that they had the polygons to make a totally reasonable female figure.

I think she looks less awesome than the Halo CE version, which looked less "solid" and more noisy.

#62 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@vikingdeath1: She was modeled/took after Dr Halsey, possibly a younger version. So perhaps Halsey had such teeth in her youth/early years? Surgery can fix a lot, especially in that day and age. I mean, the other AI's look like Hoth snow pilots or a simple black box. Whatever floats their code.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.