Halo 4 Broke My Heart

• 68 results
#51 Posted by DrFlapjack (234 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Shaka999 said:

Why do you people like the sound design? the guns sound fucking awful.

Are we playing the same game? The guns sound better then they ever have. A few like the Suppressor and the Storm Rifle sound a bit weak but the rest of the guns sound amazing. Assault Rifle, Beam Rifle, the Rocket Launcher, Railgun, those guns are beefy as hell.

What about the magnum? That sounds like a nerf gun.

#52 Posted by big_jon (5734 posts) -

@DrFlapjack said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Shaka999 said:

Why do you people like the sound design? the guns sound fucking awful.

Are we playing the same game? The guns sound better then they ever have. A few like the Suppressor and the Storm Rifle sound a bit weak but the rest of the guns sound amazing. Assault Rifle, Beam Rifle, the Rocket Launcher, Railgun, those guns are beefy as hell.

What about the magnum? That sounds like a nerf gun.

Sounds pretty good, I wasn't aware nerf guns made bang noises.

#53 Posted by Blommer4 (196 posts) -

tltr; I haven't bought Halo 4 and never will.

#54 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I disagree about the multiplayer. It's fun and the COD stuff isn't bad in my opinion. They also made capture the flag a fun game type which is amazing in itself. I totally agree with the campaign. It was the weakest of all the games from game play and story. I was mostly bored fighting the same enemies over and over again waiting for a cutscene to start. The same Covenant types and three types of Forerunner which are all slow moving are just boring. The new weapons are just the same old weapons reskinned. The cutscenes contain the only bits of story in the whole game, nothing happens in the gameplay part. The cutscenes then expect you to have read every book and comic to understand what is going on. They never explain that your fighting the Storm faction of the Covenant and not the whole thing, or why the captain is an arsehole, or what Spartan 4s are. Do they ever mention that the multiplayer is set on the Infinity? As well as that the acting by Cortana and Chief is all over the place and most of the dialogue is bad, corny rubbish. The last line the scientist woman says was fucking awful. Spartan Ops is boring too although its a bit more interesting than Firefight. Still I would rather just watch the cutsecenes as a long movie. I was really disappointed with the single player stuff. What ideas they have in the game they totally wasted but at least they ended it at a point which allows a good sequel to be made. Although I have no idea where the story goes from here.

#55 Posted by Giantstalker (1660 posts) -

I read the the entire thing, and I gotta say, Halo actually sounds like a fun series now with all the changes in 4. I never followed it closely before but I just might pick up a copy to see for myself.

#56 Posted by DrFlapjack (234 posts) -

@big_jon said:

You must be playing a different game.

Listen to this-

Now listen to this-

That is most certainly not a "bang", but a pew pew.

I'm generally enjoying the multiplayer, but I feel they did make some changes just for the sake of making changes and not in a good direction. Hopefully they add objectives back into Big Team and Action Sack which has always been a great change of pace.

#57 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

@Darth_Mercer said:

Upon finally playing Halo 4, I was excitedly impressed with the visuals and revamped, visceral sound design. What ensued, however, was a heart-breaking decent into unprecedented disappointment. My favorite online multiplayer has been utterly tarnished with ire-inducing impositions of Call of Duty tropes such as completely customizable loadouts, complete with perks and weapons camo. Weapons camo.

The Infinity multiplayer introduction that Spartans have the opportunity to customize their equipment.

You’ll recall every Spartan in Noble squad had customized armor, Emile even painted on his helmet.

No longer is there any time, nor patience for a coordinated, tactical approach. It has, quite literally, adopted the loathsome rhythm of “spawn, sprint, shoot, die, spawn, sprint, shoot, die”. Over and over again.

As opposed to the classic “spawn, walk briskly, shoot, die, spawn, walk briskly, shoot, die” yeah that was so much better.

All my favorite game modes are missing; no more Lone Wolves, no more double team, no more multi-team, no more Invasion, no more head hunter.

New Game types can be added at anytime. They already added SWAT and they will be adding Grifball, why don't you ask at the official forum if your favorite gametype is making a return.

Oh, and the oddball ball is no longer a flaming skull, by the way.

It's a glowing skull

Their contextualized multiplayer only makes the whole thing less fun. And I cannot excuse the honestly stupid inclusion of the mech, or “mantis”. This is easily the cheapest vehicle in the game. Coupled with another player in a banshee, the team with both vehicles will win. All game-breaking aside, the introduction of a mech contradicts the established fiction of Halo.

The fiction of Halo that, again in the introduction of Infinity explains that humans are finally not just fighting back. They are going on the offensive. Bigger ships, more Spartans and nastier hardware.

The entire purpose of the Spartan Project was to make a walking tank.

The purpose of the Spartan II project was to make a walking tank, there's only one left.

It goes without saying that putting your walking tank into another walking tank is gratuitously redundant. As a whole, it would seem that the mantra of “all players are equal”, which was once a trademark of Halo multiplayer, has been completely deleted. There is no skill in getting a kill anymore.

You can kill a mantis with a Spartan laser, I killed one with grenades. You can also hijack it like every other vehicle.

But these thoughtless transgressions are only the tip of the iceberg. The campaign for Halo 4 was built upon additional fiction established in peripheral mediums, such has books and graphic novels, and otherwise never addressed in the games.

Except where they were addressed in the games.

This game essentially ignores any of the stories and resolutions established in previous games. The war with the Covenant ended, their leadership was decimated, and Elites seceded from the pact. Lo and behold, however, you are fighting Covenant. And there are Elites, too. Nothing, literally nothing, was done to justify their presence in the game.

They broke away from the rest of the Covenant and continue their fight. It's pretty obvious.

The same thing happened in the Star Wars books after the Empire was defeated, and in real life at the end of pretty much every war.

Adding to an overall lack of content, Firefight, Halo’s wave-based cooperative survival mode is nowhere to be found, but rather replaced by “Spartan Ops”. It consists of short missions recycled from the campaign. Pretty cool, huh? Firefight afforded players a fun replayability factor. Spartan Ops simply does not.

Spartan Ops takes place on Requiem after the campaign.

They aren't "recycled missions", you're going back to assist the science teams that are exploring where the Master Chief was earlier.

#58 Posted by taj1994 (1 posts) -

@DrFlapjack said:

@big_jon said:

You must be playing a different game.

Listen to this-

Now listen to this-

That is most certainly not a "bang", but a pew pew.

I'm generally enjoying the multiplayer, but I feel they did make some changes just for the sake of making changes and not in a good direction. Hopefully they add objectives back into Big Team and Action Sack which has always been a great change of pace.

First, if you're going to compare sounds, try to at least pick a video where you can actually hear the sounds instead of them being covered up by music

Second, The weapons sound more realistic. What's wrong with that?

@Mike76x said:

@Darth_Mercer said:

Upon finally playing Halo 4, I was excitedly impressed with the visuals and revamped, visceral sound design. What ensued, however, was a heart-breaking decent into unprecedented disappointment. My favorite online multiplayer has been utterly tarnished with ire-inducing impositions of Call of Duty tropes such as completely customizable loadouts, complete with perks and weapons camo. Weapons camo.

The Infinity multiplayer introduction that Spartans have the opportunity to customize their equipment.

You’ll recall every Spartan in Noble squad had customized armor, Emile even painted on his helmet.

No longer is there any time, nor patience for a coordinated, tactical approach. It has, quite literally, adopted the loathsome rhythm of “spawn, sprint, shoot, die, spawn, sprint, shoot, die”. Over and over again.

As opposed to the classic “spawn, walk briskly, shoot, die, spawn, walk briskly, shoot, die” yeah that was so much better.

All my favorite game modes are missing; no more Lone Wolves, no more double team, no more multi-team, no more Invasion, no more head hunter.

New Game types can be added at anytime. They already added SWAT and they will be adding Grifball, why don't you ask at the official forum if your favorite gametype is making a return.

Oh, and the oddball ball is no longer a flaming skull, by the way.

It's a glowing skull

Their contextualized multiplayer only makes the whole thing less fun. And I cannot excuse the honestly stupid inclusion of the mech, or “mantis”. This is easily the cheapest vehicle in the game. Coupled with another player in a banshee, the team with both vehicles will win. All game-breaking aside, the introduction of a mech contradicts the established fiction of Halo.

The fiction of Halo that, again in the introduction of Infinity explains that humans are finally not just fighting back. They are going on the offensive. Bigger ships, more Spartans and nastier hardware.

The entire purpose of the Spartan Project was to make a walking tank.

The purpose of the Spartan II project was to make a walking tank, there's only one left.

It goes without saying that putting your walking tank into another walking tank is gratuitously redundant. As a whole, it would seem that the mantra of “all players are equal”, which was once a trademark of Halo multiplayer, has been completely deleted. There is no skill in getting a kill anymore.

You can kill a mantis with a Spartan laser, I killed one with grenades. You can also hijack it like every other vehicle.

But these thoughtless transgressions are only the tip of the iceberg. The campaign for Halo 4 was built upon additional fiction established in peripheral mediums, such has books and graphic novels, and otherwise never addressed in the games.

Except where they were addressed in the games.

This game essentially ignores any of the stories and resolutions established in previous games. The war with the Covenant ended, their leadership was decimated, and Elites seceded from the pact. Lo and behold, however, you are fighting Covenant. And there are Elites, too. Nothing, literally nothing, was done to justify their presence in the game.

They broke away from the rest of the Covenant and continue their fight. It's pretty obvious.

The same thing happened in the Star Wars books after the Empire was defeated, and in real life at the end of pretty much every war.

Adding to an overall lack of content, Firefight, Halo’s wave-based cooperative survival mode is nowhere to be found, but rather replaced by “Spartan Ops”. It consists of short missions recycled from the campaign. Pretty cool, huh? Firefight afforded players a fun replayability factor. Spartan Ops simply does not.

Spartan Ops takes place on Requiem after the campaign.

They aren't "recycled missions", you're going back to assist the science teams that are exploring where the Master Chief was earlier.

Where is the like button? I agree with everything you said here, especially your response to him saying "But these thoughtless transgressions are only the tip of the iceberg. The campaign for Halo 4 was built upon additional fiction established in peripheral mediums, such has books and graphic novels, and otherwise never addressed in the games."

Also, any real Halo fan will have read the books. Personally, I have only read three, but that's just because I haven't had the money to get more... After I get a new Xbox, that will be the next thing I'm buying

#59 Posted by Scotto (1188 posts) -

I find it odd that someone could have their "heart" broken by a game due to being so invested in it, yet not have any awareness of the peripheral fiction of the universe at the same time.

The Covenant you fight in this game are a splinter faction of Elites called the "Storm Covenant", who were embroiled in what was essentially a civil war with the Arbiter from Halo 3. They still worship the teachings of the Prophets, and despise the newly peaceful relationship the Covenant have with the human race - as explained in the books. As for the Didact, the only thing the game doesn't really explain at some point itself, is why everyone knows who the "Didact" is already. An omission, yes, but a fairly minor one - and one that explained in the books, if you're so inclined. By the end of the game, and having read no Halo books at the time (I've since read "Fall of Reach"), I had a good grip on what was going on. Considering Chief was on ice for four years, and not having much time to sit down and chat with someone, it stands to reason that he would be pretty disoriented with the state of the universe. And if you insist on only playing the games, the terminals in Halo Anniversary Edition and Halo 4 explain almost all of the background anyway.

Complaining about the Mantis in multiplayer was a popular theme for the first week or so the game was out, but has since dissipated after people adjusted, and figured out they are pretty fucking easy to take down. They were also no more gamebreaking than Wraiths... which people also figured out how to take down.

The point of the SPARTAN-II program was not to simply make "walking tanks". I find it odd that you oppose the supposed redundancy of a SPARTAN using a Mantis as being a "tank inside a tank", yet apparently had no issue with the previous games' missions where you... got inside an actual tank. And that's beside the fact that your redundancy argument is ridiculous anyway. Tanks and mechs can hold way bigger weaponry, and take far more punishment than a SPARTAN. It's like saying a jacket is redundant, because you're already wearing a shirt - just patent nonsense.

The removal of Firefight is lamentable if you enjoyed it, and I dislike any time a sequel removes a feature. However, Spartan Ops emulates most of what Firefight was, and gives you a weekly dose of well produced extended fiction, which for a lore nerd like me is a welcome trade-off. But hey, you dislike it - fair enough. As for other modes - they are constantly adding new modes to the official matchmaking list, and custom games are as flexible as they ever were. It's true that the missions re-use maps from the campaign and multiplayer, but I don't know how that affects replayability any more than playing the same maps on Firefight over and over.

As for "No longer is there any time, nor patience for a coordinated, tactical approach." - if all you're doing is spawning, sprinting, shooting, and dying in an endless, may I suggest it's time to switch up your tactics? I don't know how in God's name you think adding the Mantis and custom loadouts fundamentally changed the actual pacing of multiplayer like this, and can only conclude you're either making it up after deciding you didn't like the game, or play with morons.

I'm just gobsmacked that someone could write such a lengthy treatise on what Halo, and the Halo fiction, means to them... yet have zero awareness of the events in the books. And with how pedantic some of your criticisms are, I'm shocked you didn't go for easy targets like "Why is he wearing MJOLNIR GEN2 (Mark VI) armor, when he's been in cryonic sleep for four years?!?!?!" (The correct answer is: It's a game, who cares). I get if someone who only has a passing interest in the Halo fiction was a bit confused by the game (at least for a while) - it should have done better at presenting the state of the world through things besides hidden terminals - but for hardcore fans, it's just strange.

#60 Edited by LongMasterWolf (171 posts) -

The campaign broke my heart too, but in a good way.

#61 Posted by bananaz (256 posts) -

I agree with the story criticisms. Terminals are extras to reward the dedicated. They should not be required for the plot to make sense, nor should expanded universe novels. If that's a prerequisite, it should be made obvious up front, preferably even before I buy the game if possible. Seriously, there's a difference between "incorporating elements from..." and the story looking like it has plot-holes if you don't have vital background. They could have incorporated some exposition in the intro. It's allowed.

My big gripe is the new lack of weapon variety. I understand rocket launchers and overshield being killstreaks, but shotguns and spikers? Grenade launchers? I guess power weapons are in the eyes of the beholder. Just because something does a lot of damage doesn't mean it's more effective. There are things like fire-rate, ammo, range, and your surroundings that apply their own checks and balances to weapons. Everybody already spawns with the best range weapons, so it just makes things a bit predictable. Maybe some smaller maps are needed.

#62 Posted by verbalmedal (55 posts) -

I really really love this game and the multiplayer is fucking awesome!

#63 Posted by war_hamster (4 posts) -

I understand some of the complaints, but I loved the campaign. I found something online that explained the backstory, and while I would have preferred to learn it all in game, it helped me understand who/what was going on. And I really liked how Cortana was portrayed. 343 did a good thing with that relationship. It seemed authentic and it's something I've wondered about throughout the games and books. As for the multiplayer, it seems cool, but it wasn't the reason I bought the game, so whatever.

#64 Edited by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

Finally got around to finishing this last night. Man was that ending ever corny. Master Chief is supposed to e a badass and 343 have ruined that character. Also the flying bit was so pointless. I did it on Legendary and there was literally no challenge. The mammoth level was probably the worst bit of Halo campaign ever. Bungie would be ashamed of what they did to Halo here. I just wanted Cortana to die about half way through the game. Not to mention I had no fucking idea what was going on the whole time. Who is the Didact and why is the game assuming we should know without ever explaining anything?

#65 Posted by kindgineer (2738 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

Halo 4 broke my heart with its kinda sad ending, but I liked it a lot.

#66 Edited by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

completely disagree. Halo 4 had the best campaign, and it was exactly because of the reason that it used the lore built upon by peripheral media, one of your main points against it. The other Halos had stories that were so basic and self-involved, this Halo actually makes you want to know about the universe and what happened while Cheif was out, who these characters are really (Didact, Librarian, etc). It doesn't hold your hand, and that's something that every great universe needs.

It is THE best Halo, in every way.

@laserbolts said:

Finally got around to finishing this last night. Man was that ending ever corny. Master Chief is supposed to e a badass and 343 have ruined that character. Also the flying bit was so pointless. I did it on Legendary and there was literally no challenge. The mammoth level was probably the worst bit of Halo campaign ever. Bungie would be ashamed of what they did to Halo here. I just wanted Cortana to die about half way through the game. Not to mention I had no fucking idea what was going on the whole time. Who is the Didact and why is the game assuming we should know without ever explaining anything?

You think playing as a mindless badass is a good thing? 343 managed to convey emotion from a man who wears a helmet and hardly speaks. They win in my books. It's hard to care about what's going on while playing as a mindless badass. In Halo 1, 2, and 3 he was literally an empty shell character. 343 really went above and beyond and they definitely succeeded .

#67 Posted by Scotto (1188 posts) -

It's impossible to "not know what the fuck was going on the whole time", because the Librarian essentially fills the character in on almost everything around 2/3 of the way into the campaign. Unless you weren't paying attention, in which case it's on you.

The only things the game should have done better at putting in front of you more directly is a) explaining why they know he's called the "Didact" already, and b) explaining who the new Covenant are. But it follows logically that John wouldn't immediately understand the state of Sangheili politics after being frozen for four years, so that one doesn't even bug me that much.

The self-contained story within this game is perfectly understandable. You land on a new, confusing planet, fumble around in the dark by yourself for a while, then gain a bit more understanding and fumble around with other humans for a while, and then eventually a Forerunner literally explains almost everything to you.

My guess is we will see the new "Storm Covenant" faction expanded on in the latter two games. Possibly even a return of the Arbiter at some point.

#68 Posted by mrfluke (5199 posts) -

@Darth_Mercer: play spartan ops, seems the stuff with the covenant story and like the overall "conflict story" is more delegated to that mode halo 4 was really a character story (about the chief, cortana, didact, and the librarian, nothing more, nothing less)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.