Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - Part 4

#1 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

It's live, but too early in the morning to type about it, I'll update later.

Edit: I loved this episode, though not as much as number 3, I thought it felt a little rushed at points, and I agree the "Call me Master Chief" was a little lame, though it was still great, and seeing the Chief in live action is also great.

Pros:

• Great production values, solid acting
  • Covenant are menacing as hell
  • Action scenes were great
  • Lots of little details for us hardcore fans

Cons:

• Felt a little rushed half way through to make its 15 minute time limit
  • Some slightly lame Chief dialogue

I love this show, we have finally gotten the Halo movie we wanted, while this is only a web-series it still manages to blow every other game based movie out of the water, it tells a story that is in contrast to the games, and it does it well. I felt actual loss when some of these Characters died, Cadet Vicors, and the Colonel Mehaffey (The female commender) I liked them both, their sudden deaths were impactfull. Also, as an obsessive fan of Elites, damn, these guys were done right, people often seemed to forget how big and powerful these things would actually be, kicking down a 4 inch steel door was fucking crazy.

#2 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

So there I was thinking "I wonder whether part 4 is up" and here it is. Thankyou sir.

#3 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

That was fuckin' awesome! This is the first time we've seen a live action master chief right? He hasn't been in any commercials or anything if I remember correctly

They are doing a great job with this, it's pretty good for a webseries

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Loving it, although I wouldn't mind seeing some more close up Covvies, the whole darkness thing will get old fast! Can't wait for the next one now, again.

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Well that was sick as hell. I've no interest in Halo 4 but damn if I'm not enjoying this series of vids.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

We finally got our halo movie! :D

#7 Posted by Cronus42 (270 posts) -

The more of this that comes out, the more faith I have that someone could make a damn incredible Halo movie. Dude running into the cloaked elite and getting the fogged breath on his glasses. So good.

#8 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

Excellent, so far it has been really good. Now I really want a Halo movie, the original Halo 3 Neill Blomkamp "Landfall" was great, and this certainly shows that you do more than Brutes with spikers for the Covenant.

I loved the part when Chief just gently punched the weapons locker and it crumbled :D

Also I wonder if we will see Cortana with some kinda split-personality in function in the game too?

#9 Posted by EpicBenjamin (622 posts) -

The way they reveal John is so damn good!

#10 Posted by PatODay (135 posts) -

I don't want this series to end. They are doing such a great job with it, the Covenant look terrifying when they show them.

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (4745 posts) -

It was great, there was a good amount of tension. I could have done without the lame "call me master chief" though.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Wait why didn't they get the same guy that voices master chief? Is his voice off or what?

#13 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Wait why didn't they get the same guy that voices master chief? Is his voice off or what?

Sounds close to the voice actor for 4.

Also, on the topic of this episode.. holy shit, they made the needler fucking MENACING. And the size of the weapons compared to the humans..

Hey, Hollywood: MAKE A MOVIE.

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

Also, on the topic of this episode.. holy shit, they made the needler fucking MENACING. And the size of the weapons compared to the humans..

That sucks. I can't believe that he's Master Chief without the voice. :/

#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

Steve Downes still does the Chief in 4, and he's listed as as being the voice actor for the series on IMDB. Doesn't really sound like him in this though. Weird.

#16 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2460 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

This is supposed to be a few decades before the games or something. I remember them saying it wouldn't make sense for him to sound as old as he does in the games.

#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

@Phatmac said:

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

This is supposed to be a few decades before the games or something. I remember them saying it wouldn't make sense for him to sound as old as he does in the games.

Ah I guess that makes sense. Yeah everything I've read says it's Steve Downes, they must have just pitched his voice differently to make him sound younger.

#18 Posted by HulkHanson (72 posts) -

Holy shit, the elites look sooo badass in this. This series continues to impress.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

@Phatmac said:

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

Ah I guess that makes sense. Yeah everything I've read says it's Steve Downes, they must have just pitched his voice differently to make him sound younger.

Ah, that makes sense. Regardless this episode was still awesome. Pleasantly surprised by how good this is.

#20 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

The elites look so intimidating. That such an awesome intro by the chief!

#21 Posted by JTB123 (1045 posts) -

Elites are so god damn badass, really glad I ordered the special edition now.

#22 Posted by Branwulf (391 posts) -

To be honest I liked the first one but expected it to go bad when the Chief and Covenant starting to be apart of it, however they are doing a really good job bringing the universe into live action, really looking forward to the extended version in the special edition.

#23 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

@Phatmac said:

@murisan said:

@Phatmac said:

Nope, it is a different actor, IMDB is wrong.

I edited the OP with my thoughts, I will do a review when the series is over I think.

#24 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@big_jon: Weird, I saw his name listed in a few places. If it's not him that's a strange decision to use somebody else.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: It's a sound alike, as confirmed by Frankie and a couple other 343 guys/gals, I like the change as it would no make sense to have Chief sound the same 30 years before the current universe.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@big_jon: Yeah I guess a pitched up Steve might sound weird.

#27 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Saw it on the dashboard and wondered if it was episode 4. Will watch on my bstv now; been very much anticipating this as episode 3 really ramped up the tension.

#28 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Yep, the "Call me Master Chief" was weird. They should have been the ones to start calling him that later in the show, instead of him telling them to do so within minutes after meeting them.

#29 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Oh and the sound he makes when he walks... I can't ignore it, and the more I think about it the louder it gets. Argh!

#30 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Loving it, although I wouldn't mind seeing some more close up Covvies, the whole darkness thing will get old fast! Can't wait for the next one now, again.

I'm willing to bet they can't afford to have more than one close-up of an Elite per episode, that CG looks like it costs an arm and a leg. I think the darkness is a stylistic choice because they'd have to put in a lot more work into making Chief and the Covenant not look completely ridiculous in the daylight.

#31 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'm willing to bet they can't afford to have more than one close-up of an Elite per episode, that CG looks like it costs an arm and a leg. I think the darkness is a stylistic choice because they'd have to put in a lot more work into making Chief and the Covenant not look completely ridiculous in the daylight.

They had a 10,000,000 Dollar budget, and to be honest it works great, over reliance on CG wreaks movies. Oh, we will be seeing Chief fights two Hunters next episode too, shit will get even more real!

#32 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@adam1808 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

They had a 10,000,000 Dollar budget, and to be honest it works great, over reliance on CG wreaks movies. Oh, we will be seeing Chief fights two Hunters next episode too, shit will get even more real!

Really? The Elite designs looks so damn good in this game, I can't wait to see their Hunters. Any reason why we haven't seen Grunts yet? Maybe they're too comic for the serious tone they're taking with the series so far?

#33 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

@big_jon said:

@adam1808 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Really? The Elite designs looks so damn good in this game, I can't wait to see their Hunters. Any reason why we haven't seen Grunts yet? Maybe they're too comic for the serious tone they're taking with the series so far?

That is my guess and yes, the Elites look great, I am a die hard Elite fan, I have been waiting for them in Live action since Halo 3. They did a great job with them in this show, they're fucking huge, powerful, and aw inspiring. Hunters will be nuts.

All those dudes I argued with in School about an Elite VS a Krogan, yeah, now who's laughing! hahaha. Yes, I am a nerd.

#34 Posted by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

@big_jon: I'm just impressed with how well they've captured the size of the Elites and Chief. They are bloody imposing to look at, and seeing the Elites in Live Action really gets across the reptilian side to them. Now I'm interested to see their take on the Hunters, because those things will be massive.

Also: Krogans always looked odd to me, they're big and unwieldy with too much head. Elites have energy swords, thus they are the superior war-like reptilian alien thing.

#35 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@adam1808: Totally. :D

#36 Posted by Whitestripes09 (365 posts) -

I have to say I was freaking out when the Elite cloaked, have never had that much fear from the Covenant before. Props to the director for sure.

#37 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

Elites have energy swords, thus they are the superior war-like reptilian alien thing.

This just made me think of this.

#38 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx: Hawt

#39 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

@big_jon: I agree with the slightly lame Chief dialog. Other than that, I've been really enjoying the whole series. I'm actually impressed. I hope they keep it up. They always spend a lot of good money on Halo promotional stuff.

#40 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@huntad said:

@big_jon: I agree with the slightly lame Chief dialog. Other than that, I've been really enjoying the whole series. I'm actually impressed. I hope they keep it up. They always spend a lot of good money on Halo promotional stuff.

Agreed.

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Yep, the "Call me Master Chief" was weird. They should have been the ones to start calling him that later in the show, instead of him telling them to do so within minutes after meeting them.

Well that's his rank, that's what they would address him as, but yeah the delivery could have been tightened up a little.

#42 Edited by big_jon (5660 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Funkydupe said:

Well that's his rank, that's what they would address him as, but yeah the delivery could have been tightened up a little.

I think that Daniel Cudmore actually helped justify it pretty well, Spartans have had very brutal lives, not much room for social interaction, not much room for screwing around, so he is to the point, and dry because of that. I mean when he asks "Who's the best shot" and the one kid goes"probably you" he just moves on to Laskey, no time for kidding around in that situation for him I guess.

Spartans are generally quiet, but Chief is supposed to be more so than even the average Spartan.

Also, it's not like he is going to say "Hey guys, I'm John, just your friendly neighbourhood super soldier killing machine."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.