Halo 4 live action trailer "scanned".

#1 Edited by big_jon (5723 posts) -

All I can say is that was fucking brutal.

This was produced by the guy who did "The Social Network" and directed by the guy who did "Fight Club" I believe.

That was crazy, seeing John all done up like that, it was weird, they really did a good job of making him seem like Frankenstein. Now I know what Halsey has so much guilt over.

#2 Posted by Ghost249 (250 posts) -

Holy Forerunners... That was pretty damn good... doesn't help me though as I'm impatiently waiting for this game's arrival...

#3 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

My favorite thing about any science fiction is their version of the space/future bra. This trailer does not disappoint.

#4 Posted by Warihay (481 posts) -

Just take my money already!! Not my favorite Halo trailer ever but got me excited for it.

Also, it was produced by David Fincher. The guy who directed both Fight Club and Social Network.

#5 Posted by ez123 (1955 posts) -

I don't know, I have always been more into the Gears trailers but that was nothing.

#6 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@ez123: What does that even mean?

#7 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

That was really well done.

#8 Posted by ez123 (1955 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@ez123: What does that even mean?

I just got nothing from it. My reaction was pretty much "Why does this exist?"

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

That guy? That guy? Ahhhhh David Fincher is only one of the best Directors in hollywood!

#10 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

@big_jon said:

This was produced by the guy who did "The Social Network" and directed by the guy who did "Fight Club" I believe.

Fincher did both of those. He's a badass, needless to say. This didn't strike me as his handiwork, but I think it's directed by someone else. (edit: Tim Miller, guy who did Scott Pilgrim, according to below)

The first rule of Halo is... Microsoft is dumping a lot of money into this!

#11 Posted by Benny (1950 posts) -

Guess I'm the only one who thought it was pretty bad, the whole humanising John thing was fucking terrible and ham-fisted beyond belief and the chief looked incredibly fake when he was running, like it wasn't mocapped at all or something. The Spartan II project scenes were decent and suprisingly graphic.

I still think the best Halo trailer was the one with the bubble shield deflecting a wraith cannon where you also see a childhood memory of his just for a few seconds, an actual sad moment as he recalls a childish sense of wonder only to be rudely awakened by the reality that there were truly terrifying things out there in space.

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -
@Demoskinos

That guy? That guy? Ahhhhh David Fincher is only one of the best Directors in hollywood!

He'll yeah he is. The trailer was directed by Tim Miller. He's one of the Blur Studios guys, the people responsible for some of the best cg trailers out there. Trailer was awesome.
#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -
@TheSouthernDandy
@Demoskinos

He'll yeah he is. The trailer was directed by Tim Miller. He's one of the Blur Studios guys, the people responsible for some of the best cg trailers out there. Trailer was awesome.
Hell. Not he'll.
#14 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -
@Benny

Guess I'm the only one who thought it was pretty bad, the whole humanising John thing was fucking terrible and ham-fisted beyond belief and the chief looked incredibly fake when he was running, like it wasn't mocapped at all or something. The Spartan II project scenes were decent and suprisingly graphic.

I still think the best Halo trailer was the one with the bubble shield deflecting a wraith cannon where you also see a childhood memory of his just for a few seconds, an actual sad moment as he recalls a childish sense of wonder only to be rudely awakened by the reality that there were truly terrifying things out there in space.

Pretty much this. This trailer was fine but it didn't surpass Bungie's trailers. God that Halo 3 ad campaign was insane.
#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -
@Phatmac disagree that it was bad but agree that the Halo 3 trailers were better. That diorama ad is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen.
#16 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Phatmac disagree that it was bad but agree that the Halo 3 trailers were better. That diorama ad is still one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Didn't call it bad, I said it was fine.

#17 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

All these live action Halo trailers they keep making over the years really makes me wish there was a Halo movie. They've proven with the right people it could be really good.

#18 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

I'm happy that they keep exploring into the brutal past of the Halo franchise, instead of just keeping it hidden in the books.

With that said though, this wasn't really one of my favorite Halo trailers, still alright.

#19 Edited by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

I definitely didn't believe this was a Fincher directed thing, but it's still pretty cool.

#20 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -
@Phatmac my bad guess I was more disagreeing with the dude you replied to.
#21 Posted by gjedwards (102 posts) -

after this trailer and the further unto dawn series they're releasing for halo 4 it really won't surprise me if they announce a full live action t.v series by the end of the year, i doubt it will be based around the master chief, infact it could probly just follow on from the further unto dawn series.

#22 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Eh, it was okay! I'm not the biggest Halo guy though so it's probably not meant for me in the first place.

#23 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@Benny

Pretty much this. This trailer was fine but it didn't surpass Bungie's trailers. God that Halo 3 ad campaign was insane.

as a dude that was like 14-15 when the halo 3 ads came out, that shit was insane, and id like to think that those ads played a part in making the chief resonate with fans.

that being said, yea this commercial was alright, the whole humanizing chief thing didnt quite work, i think they will have to nail that factor in the game before they start using that as a promotion tool (there is a lot of nuance to that story that i dont think they can express in a trailer), although it did give a good sense that the new enemies are very formidable though.

also you guys did get a good glimpse at the new villain though. (already know who he is, read the books and seeked out some spoilers)

#24 Edited by project343 (2816 posts) -

Trailer was a dud for me. It was 'neat,' but didn't pull much more out of me than that. Figure I should say: I adore Fincher's work and I love the Halo series. Much preferred Halo 3's "Believe" campaign.

#25 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Fincher did a great job with this seeing in how I'm really fucking ready for Halo 4 now. I really hope the whole emotional depth angle for the Chief really pays off.

#26 Posted by Zereta (1365 posts) -

Not the best of the Halo Live action trailers but still really amazing. The lack of music and sound in this really was weird. ODST's 'We are ODST" ad is still the best in my opinion. That was some good stuff. (Of course, Halo: Landfall for Halo 3 is a close second)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.