Halo 4 needs unranked matchmaking....

#1 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

I was away from halo 4 for too long now I suck really bad and can't kill ANYONE I was 200 kills over deaths and I'm down to 60 in like 2 hours

#2 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

Also they need to make spartans ops matchmaking for legendary :l

#3 Edited by DrFlapjack (237 posts) -

I think all the matchmaking is unranked. Your spartan rating just equals how much time you've played, not skill level. What they need is better playlists, hopefully action sack will make an appearance and objectives need to get added to big team battle.

#4 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

no no no dude, I mean they need a matchmaking that doesn't keep track of kill death so the people who got rusty have a way to get the skills back without looking like shit, I love the game but It's embarassing to get killed so often and bascially make the other team win just with yours deaths

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

That seems strange to me, one's K\D ratio should be representative of all their play time with the game. Otherwise the data is useless if you just pick and choose what matches do and don't affect the score.

#6 Edited by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

If my K/D ever =s 1/1 I usually quit that game in shame lol it's a personal preference I don't wanna be looked at as a scrub

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

I would agree, mostly because they could have a 'custom games' hopper in there too. All the options and forge stuff is awesome but not having a way to matchmake the better maps people make sorta stucks.

#8 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

My friendslist on xbox live is very short so I don't really get to play custom games, I make my own forge levels but it's hard to get people to test it out because most of them need more then 1 person to test

#9 Posted by vikingdeath1 (983 posts) -

I just went in today after not playing since week 1 and it took me a few games to stop getting last place all the time, but I don't care about any of my personal stats so I dunno how to help ya.

My Main issue with their matchmaking is with Spartan Ops! Now if I've missed something like an idiot someone please tell me, but is there no way to choose Which specific ops mission you want to search for games for? there are only 5 options right now and it's basically one chapter of each episode and once you finish that mission it just drops you back into the search menu.

How can I just join with random people for say chapter 2 of episode 5?

#10 Posted by kaos_cracker (633 posts) -

Play custom games. I don't own Halo 4 but I play it at my friends place every now and then and I do pretty well. it's easy to get back in the game after some break.

#11 Posted by MildMolasses (3225 posts) -

@RobotSquad said:

If my K/D ever =s 1/1 I usually quit that game in shame lol it's a personal preference I don't wanna be looked at as a scrub

Then you need to get over this, as you are clearly bringing the problem upon yourself. I can't think of a worse way to be playing games

#12 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I've never understood people who actually give two shits about a k/d ratio. Just play the game and have fun.

#13 Posted by believer258 (11997 posts) -

No. Halo 4 needs a custom games browser. Halo 2 needed it, 3 needed it, Reach needed it, now 4 needs it. But it won't get it, and neither will 5, and neither will 6, for some unfathomable reason.

No, really, why the fuck would you make all of those customization options and then limit users to certain playlists? Yes, I know you can gather custom games with your friends, but that is a pain in the ass.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

If you care about K/D you are doing it wrong.

#15 Posted by Superfriend (1568 posts) -

I don´t know, but in my experience Halo skill doesn´t really degrade that much. It´s just like riding a bike, you´ll get better FAST.

Maybe it´s just because Halo is the only shooter I´m really good at, but I recently jumped back on with a silver account during their free weekend and had like 4,90 KD after 10 matches. Fuck, I really like the multiplayer in Halo4.

Yeah, a "Training" playlist would be nice, but you can bet that there will just be a couple of really good players lurking that will make your experience miserable. Play some FFA (Regicide) and hang back a bit -that´s usually a good way to get a feel for things. Now, I will agree with the Spartan Ops matchmaking. The whole mode is kinda fucked, I would like some actual challenge, not just random waves of enemies; Firefight did that better. And their Matchmaking for Spartan Ops is kinda borked.

#16 Posted by Superfriend (1568 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

How can I just join with random people for say chapter 2 of episode 5?

You can´t. Only the latest episode for matchmaking. You can play the others with friends though. Spartan Ops sounded so cool in concept, but their execution is severely lacking.

#17 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

@DrFlapjack said:

I think all the matchmaking is unranked. Your spartan rating just equals how much time you've played, not skill level. What they is need better playlists, hopefully action sack will make an appearance and objectives need to get added to big team battle.

This is what I want. I like variety when I play, so having a playlist that does more than just a single thing over and over makes it a much more enjoyable experience. Also, Big team was practically made for objectives like CTF and Assault, so I don't know why they would not at least have a Big Team Objective mode if them want to keep slayer separate.

#18 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

@RobotSquad said:

My best K/D ratio was 4/1 in COD4. I wish I were good enough to get it back to 1/1 at least.

#19 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

It's hard to have fun in a game that tracks your deaths Dx

#20 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

just don't bother with k/d. before you know it halo 5 will be out and everything in halo 4 will no longer mean anything

#21 Posted by GTCknight (702 posts) -

@vikingdeath1: They finished the first five chapters. So for now there is a "Best of " eps from different Chapters.

#22 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

Thats why there's Custom Games mate

#23 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

Custom games are only useful if you have a ton of friends online playing halo 4 lol

#24 Posted by Scotto (1201 posts) -

I don't agree that they should implement a second type of matchmaking that doesn't affect your lifetime stats, solely so a minority of people can protect their egos in the off chance that they don't play the game for a while and come back rusty.

If you're good enough, that K:D figure will eventually return to normal. The point of lifetime stats is that it's a pool for all of your games - not the ones where you're not at your best. Otherwise the stat becomes useless.

Frankly, I'd rather all shooters just ditch the K:D figures altogether.

#25 Edited by big_jon (5743 posts) -

I agree with this, it gets old always playing entire teams of tryhards.

#26 Posted by HistoryInRust (6338 posts) -

@DelroyLindo said:

I've never understood people who actually give two shits about a k/d ratio. Just play the game and have fun.

That's the issue, though. Your kill/death ratio is figured into your True Skill rating behind the scenes, which governs the players you're matched up against at all times in matchmaking scenarios.

Say you play real hot and heavy the first week the game is out and happen to play really well during that time. For whatever reason. Now assume you step away from the game for a few weeks. Or a month or longer. When you come back, the game pits you against people whose metrics line up with your own most closely. So if you had a high True Skill rating when you left, you'll find yourself confronted with players whose own True Skill ranking is similar or equal or slightly better.

Often, this scenario creates a false equilibrium. Mathematically, you should be evenly matched, but because you've taken your hiatus (and because the game doesn't recognize that) you're being consistently outplayed by players of greater savvy than yourself. And jumping out to the menu to find another match won't help.

Basically, like someone said earlier, there needs to be a server/lobby option similar to the Gears of War setup. Every Halo game has avoided plugging this feature in for some reason or another, and every Halo game's multiplayer suffers from this exact same issue. It's been a running problem since Halo 2.

#27 Posted by RobotSquad (216 posts) -

actually I totally agree, keeping track is the problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.